LET"S WATCH! Devilman:Crybaby (epsiodes 5 +)

Happy Valentines Day! Going to continue my rewatch of Devilman Crybaby from the other night!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1hAJBDZe21w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

*Episodes ....I cannot even spell. Going to respond to some things from after I left

Wanted to respond to this statement:

>>The art and philosophical message were a bit of a garbeled mess. The demons/devils robbing the humans of agency after possessing them, as did the possession occuring at random and against their will meant that there were just vessels for destruction with no say in the matter.

The loss of free will ruins the movie, it makes temptation and redemption completely meaningless, thusly, the whole Satan angle of the series becomes completely pointless.

I'm not sure if it's a loss of free will. In Miki(o)'s case at least it was definitely not against her will, but she didn't know what she was getting into. She did want her running to get better. Remember? She thinks Mayuta for taking her to the Sabbath . Not sure about Koda, but it was their choice to go to a crazy drug fueled place ..Even if it was against their will, I don't really see your point.
Satan's choices were just that, choices.

So Episode 5: horny as hell Akira and horny as hell Sirene. This will be fun!

I think the cat is actually a devilman the whole time. Here the cat kind of stops Akira from going all beast mode on Miki when he sees through her clothes. There is also random shots in the first episode where they focus on the cat. I could be wrong, but ?

Kaim has to sit there and listen to Sirene masturbate without him and he looks happy about it. I think it is his fetish.

Also there is a random surveillance shot in this that confirms Akira is 16 years old. I figured maybe they were 17 or so.

Does devilman cum stink? Why is he holding his nose after he cums all over the ceiling?

OH noooo

Damn Ryo dropped the ball on this one, for real.

I like this scene because it shows how jumping to conclusions and fear mixed together end up causing trouble even in a rather benign situation. It is good set up for what happens later. It also shows that Miki is the type to stand up for people she believes are being wronged. Also has some parallels to what happens later.

Also like this scene because it sets up Ryo's mindset.

I think that Crybaby has something thematically that the original manga doesn't (well duh, they are different the manga has stuff this anime doesn't) ...Crybaby touches on how ambition with no compassion is just hollow. It ties the threads of Koda, Miki(o) and Ryo all together.

It's kind of strange because the most static characters are really Akira and Miki. Sure Akira falters, but in Crybaby he seems to always hold stead-fast in who he is regardless. Maybe I will change my mind on how altered he is after I have rewatched the whole thing.

>Happy Valentines Day!

Awww poor Ryo.... Devilman is full of characters that get the cold shoulder in love.

Happy Valentines!

You would think Ryo would have taken this to heart you know...Finding Akira almost obliterated.

What a great episode for today!

Look at Ryo's face too when Akira says this about Sirene and Kaim.

Wamu looking at photos of Miki..

OH and this is the episode about Koda. Episode 6.

Imagining Ryo having his own TV show...Oh man.

Ahg, it's so obvious that Ryo is not good news at this point. I know that Akira is still conflicted, but ...at this point I would have been so suspicious.

This is why some people say you're a lesbian, Miki. You're living with Japanese Edward Cullen who happen to be thirsty for your vagina and you still insist with the family crap

We have learned that in anime 'family' is just a word at this point.

Also look at Pyscho Jennie and Ryo rolling up into this high school track meet.

Is there a pentagram on the bottom of the water they give Koda ??? Hahahahahahah

These cry faces are gold.

Does Akira just have super empathy powers? I don't know if this is ever explained, but it seems like he 'senses' people's inner states or something.

cum usually stinks but not that much.
when you got enough to paint the ceiling, it might be a little much

I like how she gets angry at herself for waving goodbye to Miki.

OH okay, wasn't sure. Thanks for letting me know.

So much Valentines atmosphere.

*blocks your path*

That face, holy shit. This is when you know he is getting satisfaction out of this.

Did he strip these guys down? Am I missing something?

I still can't help but feel bad for this guy even if I know how he ends up.

My fury at Ryo is at maximum levels at this moment. Gotta strap in for more rage, because it's only downhill from here.

Miki's bravery is exemplified once again. (Remember she doesn't know Miki(o) is a devilman at this point, and tries to save her even as Koda is rampaging.

This moment is pretty disturbing.

This is actually pretty hilarious. They go to commercial break and it's Koda endorsing water .

I am wondering if you have to kind of 'want' power or something in order to become a devilman and not just be consumed by the demon right off the start.

He's so awful at this point. At least at the start there were times when his cold exterior broke, but damn at this point in time. ...

Someone says they have seen a demon like Koda on devilman...I think the whole Devilman show existing in universe is more on the dumb and less on the cool side.

Are these Guts and Griffith?

This will never not be funny.

No This is Ryo and Akira.

Proto guts and griffith.

All right, onto episode 7 , where things take an even more heavy turn.

I feel like the reveal of Demons which would lead to the extinction of Humanity could’ve been done much better than being revealed at a high school track meet in Japan. The execution of things in this show felt a little off

Okay onto episode 7 where we take an even darker turn.

My biggest complaint so far is that the fight sequences are all actually pretty bad/lack luster. I haven't even really bothered screencapping them. The best one so far was in the club scene.

I guess the emotions of it swept me up the first time, because this second time I'm just like...oh boy .

It's odd how seriously people take it...I could understand if in the US it happened at a college football game. That would make a ton of sense to me.

But this much attention to a high school track meet? Is that common in Japan?

The rap at the start of this does a good job of introducing us to what we are about to get into.

reminded me of greek choir

Why is no one taking him into custody for an investigation?

you mean like in the greek plays?

Oh Akira, why.....He should have protested more about Ryo's plan. I'm not really sure why he did not voice more of his concern at outing Koda.

yes

That makes a lot of sense . I'm not well versed in Greek tragedies, so I wonder if Devilman shares many similarities with it.

youtu.be/1hAJBDZe21w

His social media pic has him with sunglasses. Probably a nod to OG Devilman.

choir delivered some commentary on situation so the rapping scenes striked some similarity to me especially the last one

Akira still doesn't get that his friend is an unfeeling icicle.

Look at the TV screen.

They quote the bible here . It's about Jesus healing the man's ear in the garden. I'm sure you know the story.

I am ..not going to cry , guys. I promise.

Oh Taro....

>. I'm sure you know the story.
No actually, do tell.

Ah, Miki They are piling it on heavy now.

If I remember right Judas betrays Jesus. His men try to protect them from the soldiers? that have come to take him in , and in the scuffle one of the soldiers gets his ear taken off. So Jesus heals it and talks about how 'if you live by the sword you die by the sword'. It's kind of about forgiving your enemies, in a way.

And then the last part of the quote is :

I love how they keep showing what happened to the flowers Miki(o) used to care for.

Have Miko eating an apple!

Maybe this was put in to solidify her sympathy with devilmen? Because she knows how it is to be treated like an outsider?

Well that and Akira stood up for her...so maybe she wanted to return it.

This guy deserved so much better.

The whole thing was literally the men who were cucked to death the anime.

Kind of yeah,... Kaim and Ryo! Maybe Wamu too...Oh and Mayuta...Koda's bf died, so I guess he got cucked by death.

Also, trying to track Ryo's motivations throughout the story here and he hasn't figured out his identity yet, so guessing that he's taking the 'survival of the fittest' approach in this war.

Didn't notice he was already possessed here.

Taro? Probably yeah. Which makes his questions for his father even more sad. It really changes the whole scene.

Well, the depression continues....

I am kind of forgetting when shit completely hits the fan and I am thinking it is episode 8.

I honestly thought the reveal came sooner than this, but it's pretty obvious into episode 7 anyway.

These evil faces are pretty gold though. I need to do something with them vs Akira's crying face.

He gives the same speech in the manga but he looks maniacal and sweating as if he's about to mentally collapse and he admits he's fucking terrified, that speech was to cope and to assure himself at least "human spirit will survive" (through Akira).

Okay now he's talking about humans that are killing themselves off.

Yeah he's a totally different character in Crybaby no doubt about it. There isn't really a lot of 'wrestling with his humanity' He has a very pragmatic survival of the fittest attitude about it.

Ryo wasn't "wrestling with his humanity", he's completely human in his paranoid reaction. He was a gentle boy like Akira who snapped and became borderline between "maniacal happy/afraid/angry" and "emotionally stunned" with occasional grip in his emotions because of his head and relied on drugs, alcohol, multiple law violations to be able to cope after the father-is-a-demon oh-shit revelation.

He was an example of how human reacted to the knowledge of the existence demons which demons used to attack humanity.

I think he wrestled with his attitude towards humanity, and ultimately gave up on them. So I consider that 'wrestling with humanity'.

Akira's expression in this scene says it all.

Whereas in Crybaby , there isn't really a shift. He always regards humanity with skepticism. He seems to have thought they would hold up better than they did, though. But that's not the same wrestling with his beliefs that happens in the manga.

I kind of hated this. It was pretty much a NUDGE NUDGE YOU GET IT DO YOU GET IT OH YOU BETTER GET IT NOW.

Also, it's pretty obvious that Ryo never expected Akira to try and gather up the devilmen and fight the demons. But this isn't the only time he assumes Akira will be obedient. He does the same thing when Akira tells him he's killed Koda. When, in fact, he hadn't.

I don't know if it's arrogance, or underestimating Akira, or what. It just doesn't seem to cross this Ryo's mind.

He is so upset by this development.

The cat was out of the bag once I saw the pale, blue eyed blonde guy while being familiar with the Shin Megami Tensei games.

Imagine giving this thing driving lessons.
You could just make a spin-off about her daily life.

For those wanting to actually get into devilman

I would love that desu.

I started playing digital devil saga and never finished it. I need to do that. (yeah I play old PS 2 games for fun sometimes.

I truthfully have no clue why I did not know sooner. I feel like an idiot.