Why are scanlators so fucking stupid sometimes?

Why are scanlators so fucking stupid sometimes?

I don't mind, I'd rather take the "translations" of a bunch of 12 year olds that do shit like this all the time than eat cartelshit.

LHT 'scanlators' aren't human

They're telling you to go and learn Japanese you fat lazy fuck

Anyone have that old One Piece scan page where Chopper does his stampy sakura petal-themed attack, shouts out the name, and a translator note reads "if you know japanese, you should know what this means"?

It's LHT? Man they really should kill themselves.

why are there so many ESL scanlators?

Because they can and want to help I guess.

Because native translators gave up or got too lazy.

TL Note: Ew

I am ESL and plan to start translating in a year or two.

You practice Japanese and English

Because murrikans don't learn second languages.

>he doesn't know Japanese

> implying they learned a first

>when a group has a translator, proofreader, and editor and they still let blatant errors go by
why are scanlators so fucking stupid?

Tl notes are the only reason I translate.

They're pressured to release the stuff as soon as possible.

180 is manlet cutoff?
I always thought it would be around 170-175.

I don't think LH scans uses proofreaders, their Black Company releases are strong evidence against it.

It's a /fit/ joke
Cutoff is actually 208 cm

But American male average isn't even that high, around 175-6cm IIRC.

Pretty much most of Europe is over that.

They actually do have proofreaders. Their 5 toubun PR came to thread once and was complaining it's too hard to proofread. You can also check their site.

chotto matte is impossible to translate without losing the true original Japanese meaning.

>it's too hard to proofread
God I wish I had their job.

Stop falseflagging herkz.

I hate you so much, my Nakama.

stop shilling yourself herkz

If you want to proofread something, you can help anons that do 5 toubun.

>Character has Osaka dialect
>Translator gives them an American Southern accent
>Translator also gives them Japanese buzzwords
>"Gomen, pardner" is actually a line of dialogue that he thought sounded okay

>gomen, pardner

gee thanks for the TL notes

Translator's note: These terms are impossible to translate from japanese properly that's why I included translator notes with the proper translation.

you mean they all got hired by real companies

>Translator gives them an American Southern accent

I hate this shit so much. You can add a bit of nuance to a character to show they have an accent without making them read like Daisy Duke.

So which is the best translation?

Maybe. And then they got bogged down in proper procedures of companies licencing the manga, instead of grabbing and translating whatever the fuck they want. Going manistream was a huge mistake.

>Someone in the team changes/leaves
>Suddenly a character starts talking completely differently the next chapter

EOP can't learn other languages.

>pressure
It takes about 2 minutes to scan through the text of the average manga chapter and check for spelling errors and oddly phrased sentences. It takes about 2 seconds for someone writing text into a bubble to notice he fucked up and about another 2 seconds to fix the spelling, because its fucking digital not P&P. Small shitty errors that are not caused by a genuine mistake in translation are unacceptable.

Even without the footnote mistake (which I assume was the editor's fault) the rest of the page reads like garbage. Pretty sure it's half-machine translated by an ESL

If you do not have a dedicated proofreader mistakes tend to slip through, you are often blind to your own mistakes, even if you look at it again.
Throwing a fit because of swapped letters or something like that is just childish.

That's too much time, and you know it. Just slap some text right on the page and it's fine, they'll gobble it up anyway.

tl notes indeed.

>you are often blind to your own mistakes
Fuck you, no. That is the shittiest excuse lazy people have given for centuries.

It's true, though.

I remember when I asked to be a proofreader for a series. The team chose an illiterate fuck who doesn’t even know the difference between they’re/there/their over me (I have a MA comparative literature).

That sucks bro

>a attribute

>proofreader
lol. Even newspapers don't have those any more, why would scanlators.

They don't want to transtate to their native languages because the audience is too small.
t. Russian typer who works with Vietnamese translator on English translation of Japanese manga

>(I have a MA comparative literature).

Does it help when flipping burgers and salting fries?

>reading manga scans
>normal pages are a good size
>2 page spreads are shrunk to be the same width as normal pages

>sound effects are completely redrawn to be in English rather than there just being a note to the side if even that's necessary

>I have a MA comparative literature
I'm so sorry.

You kids. You don't know how good you even have it.

>Character makes a reference to a well known classic anime or manga
>Scanlator translates it wrong and puts a TL claiming it's a reference to something that also made a reference to it
This makes me upset.

I’m a trust-fund babby so it literally didn’t affect me at all. I’m debating getting a PhD because I haven’t done shit in three years to just read books and watch anime all day

The japanese are dumbasses too though. Why else is there a sound effect for silence?

>chaka khan

wow it's exactly how i pictured the group lmao

>Gomen, pardner

>Translation by DUWANG

Someone give them "feedback" on their translations and said that these kinds of phrases fit better in Japanese, he was trolling of course but LH took it seriously.

They're doing this ironically, right? It can't be for real.

I actually don't mind the southern accent thing as long as it's not completely overdone, which it sounds like what you're talking about was. And keeping something as simple as gomen in Japanese is retarded.

>scanlator is taking care of his sick mom

>Gomen, pardner

More than this I'm mad they upscale the scans of every manga they work to 1600px. Some end up being blurry shit.

Don't bully Kirei cake he translates some great series like Adu of Hades.

>unlockable premium content in scanlation

Easy, don't fucking read them then and learn to read moonrunes you fat cunt.

Anglos don't bother learning other languages.

It's pretty hard to resist the temptation of inserting a meme or two when translating.

I don't know too much about scanning stuff but I imagine it depends on what kind of scanner you use. I have scanned stuff before (not manga) and usually get quite a large image. Larger than 1600x1600 iirc. I'm actually looking at a few 8.5 x 11 papers I scanned years ago and they're 2550x3510 and you could get larger and better quality scans with an actually good scanner. I imagine you could just look at it at a lower magnification and it would at least get rid of some of the blur if they did actually upscale the scans.

No it's not about scanning anything. When the digital scans, for example ripped from Jump+ site, are 1200px, they upscale them to 1600px and get blurry shit. That's the problem.

I hate TL notes.
espeically these in mirai nikki.

Oh, you're talking about the digital versions. The digital version should be larger if they're actually only 1200 pixels tall.

Those aren't TL notes; they're nothing to do with the translation. They're just scanlators being annoying fags.

IT'S NOT A FUCKING CHAT DISCUSSION, AHHHHHH!

>Gomen, pardner

STOP

>Gomen, parder

Eat it, english.

How do I learn to proofread?

First reply best reply

If you can read this message, then you know how to proofread.

Is this a trick?

Understand the rules of English.

No. Most scanlation groups are really that pathetic.

Why do they so rarely translate sound effects?

>gomen, pardner
My sides.

In this case the puns matter though.

Because they're unnecessary. Do you really need you *boom*s and *swoosh*es? I don't.

>that burn by the komi translator

A key to proofreading is the act of figuring out what can and can't be understood by someone reading the text for the first time.

For example: this is absolutely unacceptable.