Why was old anime so much better?

Why was old anime so much better?
It can't be just the art
Something got lost along the way

Everything was less sexualizaded.

Yes, most of the shit no one cares about got lost, so the average looks much better.

I know, right?
>sexualizaded.
ESL posters, I swear to God.

>Yes, most of the shit no one cares about got lost, so the average looks much better.
I was there, the average was better

>Early 2000s
>Old

You'd be surprised, most people consider Haruhi old enough.

Pic unrelated i guess

If you mean "old" the same way this thread does, so was I. It wasn't. And from watching 70s and 80s shows it wasn't then either.

A decade is a pretty long time, honestly. Not in the grand scheme of things, but for the primary demographic of this website, 2003 was over half their life ago.

>>Something got lost along the way
Yes, all the mediocre shows got lost so you only remember the good ones. That's why when people talks about the "golden age of anime" they always cite the same six or seven shows.

It's also a fact that people can pick up every anime in a season now. The further back you go the more and more you had to actually search for something. People were naturally more picky with what they consume.

DELETE this

Flashbacks: the anime

I dont remember if the anime followed the manga but Tenjho Tenge was good just for the art, its story was just messy. I liked it anyways

Didnt know that there was a Felix the cat anime

I realized/a/ was born in 1999.

Fuck me.

Time to smell the fresh air.

Early 2000s were more than 14 years ago, you're getting old buddy.

I've only lurked the pre-2000 anime circlejerk threads a couple times, but I've found something funny about them: people watching random pre-2000 shows (not the usual big names but random seasonal shows) and finding them to be not really better than random post-2000 shows.

So you only know second hand opinions.
Cool.

Does that surprise you? Would you otherwise believe the people that claimed everyone just decided to stop writing well around the turn of the millennium for some reason?

Oh no, I've watched enough old anime to understand how quality was as varied as it is today (except for certain aspects like shows being allowed to have 50+ episodes or the old art having a certain "charm" that a good bunch of modern anime lacks"); it's just that I find that funny given how the usual pre-2000 anime thread opening statement is always something arrogant in the vein of "stop watching seasonal shit and watch pre-2000 anime, when anime was good".

Im not even that old but born 7 years before that and this entire channel makes me feel old

OP being a faggot should come as even less as a surprise really.
Even the "shows were longer back then" thing is mostly wrong. They were daytime kids shows, and kids shows are still typically that long. Late night shows getting 2 cours is less common, but even that's not a huge shift.

The old anime shading was more authentic

You know what happens when something gets too popular

This is the same question as why old machines were made so durable; the answer to this is that only the good ones made it till now.

There has always been series of varying quality.

90's wise, a combination of the industry being more niche (at least for anime oriented to adults), few being memorable and the fact that we had more OVA's released back in the day. We started seeing a shift in popularity in the mid 90's, when series like Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball where seen as profitable, so there where more series being made while OVAs started to disappear. Around the year 2000 anime started to focus not only on children but on adults as well. This is also the time when anime started becoming less niche and more popular in the west. 2003 saw a huge boom in anime with Haruhi and Lucky Star and it pretty much snowballed from there.

I'm skipping on a lot of history but now a days anime is popular enough that people wouldn't even blink if they saw someone carrying an otaku shirt in public.

Tenjou Tenge was complete nonsense.