Patlabor 2: The Movie

Why was this more popular than the first one? Asuma and Izumi were missing and the plot was too dry

>Why was this more popular than the first one?
Is it? I like it more, but I imagine Oshii fans are into it more than Patlabor fans.

Yeaj, the main reason to watch the Patlabor films is for Oshii's aesthetic direction and the god tier mechanical animation, which 2 has more of. The OVAs and TV series are there for fun and character focus.

I think most fans of Patlabor are Oshii fans rather than Patlabor fans.

Because it's DEEP and POLITICAL, hurrrr.

Visuals are really, really good, even if straying away from the original designs. The plot makes for a very decent political thriller and a lot of scenes are great. You don't see this kind of anime anymore. The only real problem is that it's Patlabor almost in the name only, more or less, although the third movie was even worse in this regard, so I guess it's not that bad.

Personally I prefer the first Patlabor movie, but I like the second one a lot as well.

I'm neither a fan of Oshii nor Patlabor, I just like the first two movies.

I still don't see any evidence to support the OP's claim.

Everyone on MAL praised the second one marking it as one of their favorites, yet I heard almost no one speak about the first.

>Everyone on MAL
>Caring what people on MAL think
I thought the OP was talking about Sup Forums. Absolutely disgusting.

>The only real problem is that it's Patlabor almost in the name only
That's bullshit unless you don't consider any of the animated Patlabor written by Ito and Oshii to be 'true' Patlabor, which gets even dumber since they worked on the manga as well. The second movie is not unique in tone or subject matter when compared to the rest of the series.

Everyone on Sup Forums are praising it too tho

In my experience, there are equal numbers of people preferring either movie - though maybe the proponents of the first are all from /m/, I dunno.

>tho
Would it hurt you to talk like a human being and not a faggot?

>The second movie is not unique in tone or subject matter when compared to the rest of the series.
It is different than the OVAs and movie which came before.
The lack of the main crew is also effective in this matter

>Everyone on MAL
movie literally has 14k fans on MAL, what the fuck are you on about? even stuff like Honneamise has almost twice as many.

Not even close. Patlabor 2 tends to get trashed with the same old "Oshii is a pretentious hack" (despite not being the writer), "Where is Noa, I can't enjoy this unless she's on the screen" or even "Why isn't it funny?".

I don't really know

The opposite is true from what I've seen, since most of what makes Patlabor what it is isn't present in Oshii's movies. They both involve the police with some mecha in the background but that's pretty much where the similarities end.

I don't get what people like about the second movie, period. It's just Oshii vicariously living through his really random choice of self-insert and expressing how he wants to be fucked by a terrorist.

I hated it. Hey, let's take a lighthearted comedy and make it a drab and depressing movie with only 2 of the characters.

kino

Right that's sort of what I mean, is that in my experience at least, the franchise is popular for what he brought to the table more than the merits it had before he arrived.

pretty boring to be kino

you don't understand kino

lain is kino
texhnolyze is kino
boogiepop is kino
ghost hound is kino
patlabor is not

>normie shit is kino

lol

user, Patlabor 2 was:
- written by Kazunori Ito, who wrote almost 30 episodes of Patlabor TV/OVAs before the movies
- directed by Oshii, who wrote 15 episodes of Patlabor TV/OVAs before the movies
When combined, that's more than half of the TV/OVAs.

this has nothing to do withe the thread

the first was comedic shit with kawaii uguuu~ patlabors and characters

>pretty boring
0/10 bait

I like Patlabor an awful lot, but the vast majority of it just kinda blurs together for me (just how many monster episodes are there between all the ovas, movies and series?). P2 Movie is the only thing that really stands out years later, because it's so different.

>just how many monster episodes are there between all the ovas, movies and series
Six?

I think the first movie was overall a better movie, but the second movie was an amazing experience.
That scene with the military in the city was just magical.
Also the second movie was much more political although the talking heads got really annoying.

Yeah, that's way too many.
At the end of the day my favorite Patlabor thing is probably Minipato.

True, the first movie was better overall, but the second one has many more memorable scenes - opening, wyvern, martial law, heli assault, underground fight and so on - they're just intertwined with boring, slow paced, quasi-philosophical crap that Oshii loves.

Keep in mind that this includes the two sewer episodes where the crew gets chased by the albino alligators, and the Godzilla parody episode.

They both do some things better than each other. Movie 1 is more Patlabor and has more of the characters regularly. The second movie is a lot slower of a burn but has some amazing scenes. It can be a bit boring at times and it's a bit harder to follow, especially if you're not that knowledgeable about Japan.

Hopefully EZY is good.