Why's this show so afraid of killing characters off? Even the minor characters with literally no purpose?

Why's this show so afraid of killing characters off? Even the minor characters with literally no purpose?

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/a/thread/168574200/#q168588580
desuarchive.org/a/thread/168574200/#q168596959
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It would have been pretty cliché to kill off the red shirt squad though. At least nobody thought that everyone would survive.

>useless characters need to die
Brainlet.

But it's boring if no one dies.

O

Honestly it's 24 episode, i wouldn't be surprised if someone dies, but i'd rather it'd happen later rather then sooner.

Probably the best thing of the ep is that brown hair squad didn’t die. Literally no one expected that so well played.

Has Hiro became op yet

At least this show will spawn a billion smutfics entirely unrelated to its crappy plot.

No, OP, you don't understand, it's SUBVERSIVE. It's good because it does things you won't expect, like having mecha combat be utterly without any stakes! If you can keep the viewers guessing by doing stupid shit for the sake of avoiding cliche, you're actually a good writer!

>why won't this show kill of characters with 0 character development?
What would be the purpose of doing that?
This anime will be 24 episodes, if they can just focus on character development for the minor characters and kill one or two of them around episode 15, that would have a way bigger impact than killing of a character that nobody cares about after 5 episodes.

MY

I mean we're still only 6 episodes in and it's 2 cours.

It's fine right now.

The apologists keep expecting the subversion, but it never comes

You get ntr bait isn't that enough for you? the latest ep had 02 bleeding by taking in the big black monster cock.

>Spend a bunch of time on the main couple
>Everyone says they are not special
>Big surprise they are special
>Show everyone else to be a worthless shit while being shallow as a puddle
>Somehow they are all friends now

Hopefully they do something with other characters then relying on main duo to help their sorry asses. So maybe one for each before they get carried again. Of course with the new villains I doubt they will do that.

We're on episode 6/24. It wouldn't have had any narrative purpose to kill any of them off yet. Especially not Hiro since they said he was having an opposite reaction to 02. Though I'm surprised the older unit is still alive

>Show everyone else to be a worthless shit while being shallow as a puddle
What is displaying teamwork
>Somehow they are all friends now
What is literally last episode where Hiro makes up with all of them. Do you guys actually watch this show or just look at screencaps

Based Tomino.

They stood around most of the time while Hiro and 02 were getting blacked. As for Hiro being friends that is a given, but 02 has never shown to be friends with anyone and literally said she doesn't give fuck about them. Hopefully they expand on it then just randomly being cool with each other now.

>ntr bait
I just want people to die.

Because it aint 12 episodes. 6/24. If they killed them off now, you'd be shitposting about them blowing their load.

There's still a lot of unresolved issues. Ichigo is obviously still not over Hiro. Ikuno is still gay. We still have the hints from Kokoro's VA that she's got a lot of complications bottled up inside. Futoshi is still fat. All we've seen is the high from the immediate aftermath of a victory.

Didn't Naomi die episode 1?

>kill character after six episode
>no emotional weight, but edgefags will flock to series

>kill character after twenty episodes
>actual emotional weight because will will be attached to the characters plenty by then.

And Fafner is fujobait.

Yes she is dead and nobody really cares. Don't fall for the lie she is in the hospital. And people thought Ichigo had it bad.

>edgefags will flock to series
They're already here though?

Why are you afraid of killing yourself? A minor character with no purpose?

>heavy foreshadowing episode
>nothing bad happens in the action-heavy next one
So the real question is which of these is the real red herring?

>Killing characters is good writing!
Stop pretending you know anything about writing you teenager.

But I don't want to die.

At least Fafner had the balls to kill off a character within the first few episodes. Also Fafner is actually well-written.

That is a very cute strawberry.

Wait for episode 8.

>Fafner is well-written

Not while the first season exists. Shoko's death was terribly done.

>Shoko's death was terribly done.
It was a good sacrifice, which was important to develop the other character's and their trauma. I think it was necessary. Also the final arc of S1 was top tier, this is irrefutable.

>Shoko's death was terribly done.
The was during the dark times. Before Ubukata.

Edgy faggots should kill themselves.

But Naomi was killed off?

Then why's the show too afraid to even admit that?

Because telling the kids Naomi is dead would kill their already shitty morale for good.

>death in a series where it should be highly likely is edgy
It's not realistic.

I told you this was shallow seasonshit and now you are afraid to backpedal

It is a shounen.

End of discussion.

>n, but 02 has never shown to be friends with anyone and literally said she doesn't give fuck about them.
What is future character development?

>Hopefully they expand on it then just randomly being cool with each other now.
They're cool with Hiro. 02 was explicitly not celebrating with them

>02 is shown to not give a fuck about other pilots because they continuously die around her
>Darwinian themes echo throughout first five episodes
>pilots have little concern even for their own lives
>commencement ceremony explicitly states that they're expected to give their lives for Papa

>I'm an edgelord for expecting literal warfare between mechas and robodinos to have some sort of potential lasting consequence, as the show has been setting up thus far

Fuck you, Sup Forums.

Name one useless character.

Fatty

How is he useless you retard? They would have all been dead if the P13 members couldn't hold down the Klaxxosaur twice in order for Strelizia to get a good hit on it.

Did anyone expect it to be deep?

A show doesn't need to be deep, it just needs not to be shit

>expecting shounen to be deep

They'll admit that all the failed kids get reprocessed later in the show. It'll be a revelation that'll push Hiro into grabbing 02 and running the fuck as far away as possible. Probably taking other surviving kids with them aswell.

RUBBER

keeping this thread, franxx covering the frontpage

He's important for the coming storm that is Kokoro's character development.

For when he gets cucked by based Milkman.

Thanks friend

Clearly the show is idealistic and setting up a Darwininan scenario so Hiro can break through it to be with his oni waifu.
Why do you hate love so much user?

>pg-13

what did u expect

I agree. You should kill yourself to make things more interesting.

That's not what the problem of the episode was. It was always obvious (to me) that no one would die. The problem was too little follow up from the previous episode. For example: why aren't we shown Hiro or 002 changing into their pilot suits? Seeing how they do it could expand on the situations established last episode. How does Hiro manage to hide the tumour on his chest from the other guys? Is Goro helping him? Does he use a separate room?
Same with 002: how does she get along with the girls? Do they give her odd looks? Are they trying to be friendly with her? What about Ichigo? Is she trying to avoid her due to what had happened between them the previous night?

This was just an example. It doesn't matter if most of the info scenes like this would provide is redundant. Showing these situations to us would create a sense of authenticity to the story. Too many things occur in this episode with very little lead-up to them. For example, 090's mech runs out of fuel pretty suddenly. Why did it happen? Just because. We're left to fill in the details ourselves. Same with Dr. FranXX showing up at the end. There are too many irrelevant "surprises" in this episode.

And the action scenes are pretty damn bland. The episode is saved by the ending with Hiro, but even that feels pretty hollow, since it's a repeat of Hiro's realisations in episodes 4 and 5. It feels like a communication problem between the different staff that handled the episodes. Hiro already wanted to ride with 002 in 4, not ride the FranXX, so what is up with his character regressing in the 6th episode on that point?

The whole episode is patched with flaws like these that bring it down quite a lot compared to the previous ones. I feel cheated of a climax.

That's obvious, that's why Hiro stayed back longer, so he wouldn't have to change in front of the others.
As far as 02 and the girls, it's pretty obvious she doesn't give a shit and just sits back and lets them change first. Heck in the celebration you saw her staying away from everyone. I really hoped Hiro would call her over or something.

Now that we're past the third ride it should focus on the other pilots and maybe 02 opening up a bit to the rest of Plantation 13.
Also more Ichigo bullying, but soft and nice. Because if she's pushed too far she might legitimately start a plantation shooting.

I warned all the shitposters last week that 02 knew Hiro wasn't going to die which is why she said "if he died then that just means he didn't amount to much" or whatever it was she said. But they didn't listen. Nobody ever listens until they get BTFO.

See

Because it was a blowoff episode. Can you not into pacing.

The idea that the tumour is mere symbolism is batshit stupid. Things can have several meanings in a narrative, but it's not only their meaning (the theme) that matters, but how grounded, believable, or authentic they come across as also.
In-universe, Hiro's tumour was portrayed as a real condition. Whatever else it may stand for does not change the matter of how convincing its portrayal is given that.

You're not addressing a single thing I said in that post.

Because they're stupid points to make. Hiro already said clearly he wanted shit hidden from the other kids. Goro respected that. You only needed that small scene at the start to confirm that's how it was gonna go down. Who cares how he hid it, seriously who in the fuck cares how he got dressed to dodge the others seeing the tumor. There's no drama or character building to that when it was already made fucking clear he wasn't going to tell them.
At least with 02, you've got more of a leg to stand on because her relationship with others besides Hiro should be something developed and shown, but even then, for now, we know she doesn't give a shit. Did you really want a pointless minute of nothing but silence as she stands in the corner and stares at them awkwardly or some shit? They think she's a monster, she thinks they're expendable. Hopefully after this ride and Hiro surviving, the other plantation 13 kids change their opinions and we can move from there.

There is no point in adding more drama when we got more than enough build up in episode 5. This was never about the other kids. Just Hiro, 02, Goro and Ichigo. And the last two only in how they feel towards Hiro.

It's only 6 episodes in man

Bravo user, finally someone with half a brain realizes that killing characters off is even more cliche than what happened here in mecha.

Someone must die by episode 7

>missing the point this badly
You're still not addressing a single thing I said in that post. I merely used that (omitted) scene to talk about the believability of the tension between the characters.

>There is no point in adding more drama
No one said that they should add more drama, just that they shouldn't sweep what drama was already established under a rug. This ruins the authenticity of the narrative.

> nobody thought that everyone would survive.
I did, and I can fish several posts from the archive to prove it.

Example: desuarchive.org/a/thread/168574200/#q168588580

The drama wasn't swept under the rug. You got scenes between Hiro and Goro and Hiro and Ichigo, showing both of them remained concerned for the friend. Ichigo's strategy was made entirely to protect Hiro and Goro backed her up on it. You saw Ichigo collapse when she thought Hiro was dead.
What I'm saying is, you're going for things that were never part of the drama. "Hiding it from the others" was never about the other pilots, just specifically Ichigo. That's why Goro says "even Ichigo" in that scene in episode 5. It literally does not matter how he hid the tumor from the others, only that he did, and only Goro knew.

I'm not meme-ing or joking. That is literally the low IQ perspective.

>The drama wasn't swept under the rug. You got scenes between Hiro and Goro and Hiro and Ichigo
Hiro is not hiding his condition from Goro (or 002), but from everyone else in the team. Showing Goro concerned does little to create a sense of authenticity to the drama, because we're never actually shown Hiro actually trying to hide from the others. It happens off-screen. It's ignored, i.e. swept under a rug.

>"Hiding it from the others" was never about the other pilots
This is not true. Rewatch Hiro's dialogue with Goro in episode 5. It's not only Ichigo that he wants to hide the tumour thing from, but _even to_ Ichigo. He does not want to burden his teammates with worries about his health. When Goro asks him if he at least wants to share it with Ichigo, it's because Ichigo is both the leader and they go way back. This denotes the opposite of hiding it from Ichigo being more important than hiding it from others. Hiro chooses to be just as secretive with Ichigo as with the other teammates on this issue.

Except it doesn't fucking matter HOW he does it. You want to be shown something that has no bearing on the resolution. Yes, he's hiding it from his team mates. That's all. You don't need an awkward scene of him changing to know he's doing it.You're nitpicking and you're doing a poor job of it.
If you've rather focus on 02's part, then I'd have to concede seeing her interaction with the other girls is somewhat important. But as far as Hiro and the other boys are concerned, we were already told all that needed to be said. Anything more would create a sense of slowness to the pacing of what is suppose to be a fast paced action episode.

Fucking learn to pacing nigger.

>Except it doesn't fucking matter HOW he does it.
It matters first and foremost that he is shown doing it. Because it was made a big deal out of in the previous episode. You can't just brush it aside. The 'how' is secondary, but it is also important.

>You don't need an awkward scene of him changing to know he's doing it.
That awkward scene is the difference between showing us a piece of the narrative, and telling us about it. That awkward scene would go a long way in establishing dramatic continuity between episodes 5 and 6.
The drama surrounding 002 and the other girls is the same. We have a set-up with her and Ichigo in the previous episode (just like we have a set-up with Hiro and Goro) but little follow-up.

Finally, I don't insist on them showing us the pilots changing together with Hiro and 002. That was merely an example/suggestion of how they could have established dramatic continuity with the previous episode. They could have done it in other ways. The problem is that they ignored it entirely, other than Ichigo and Goro being worried as usual.

> what is suppose to be a fast paced action episode.
The action sucked ass. The battle with the worm in episode 4 was a lot better, in spite of the wonky animation in parts.

>That awkward scene would go a long way in establishing dramatic continuity between episodes 5 and 6.
And it would not ruin the pacing of the episode at all, since we're shown the other parasites changing, jus not Hiro or 002. That's why I even suggested it in the first place.

For fuck's sake.

>It matters first and foremost that he is shown doing it. Because it was made a big deal out of in the previous episode. You can't just brush it aside. The 'how' is secondary, but it is also important.

It was not brushed aside. You just expected him to be shown doing it. He said he was doing it, clearly he did it because they didn't know. That's all there is too it. As far as the other kids are concerned the tumor is NOT important. The tumor dorama is about 02, and to a lesser extent, Goro.

>the problem is they ignored it entirely.

They didn't though. Well, not the Hiro thing. They did the 02 thing I suppose. I concede that. But I'd argue that the 02 and Ichigo scene was more about showing the difference between what others see her as, and what Hiro sees her as, and about showing that Ichigo is clearly trying to hide how she feels and 02 can tell that.

Completely disagree. The only thing that was better in the fourth episode was the killshot scene.

I really do wonder why that's the case. The most lowbrow shit usually just kills off a bunch of characters just because, is this just like the kind of base appeal to watching violence and death? Like the same kind of reason people were invested in coliseums and shit.

underrated podst

Are you implying this series is for people with high IQs?

WHICH IS THE REAL THREAD

All of them

Not him, but whether or not this series is high IQ is irrelevant. The idea that killing off a bunch of irrelevant characters = series better because "its darker and more realistic and mature!" is literally low IQ reasoning.

>its darker and more realistic and mature if people die
Literally where in this thread does anyone say this?

you know they're thinking it user.
few people admit they just like violence and gore for its own sake.

>I'd argue that the 02 and Ichigo scene was more about showing the difference between what others see her as, and what Hiro sees her as
I know, I said as much before: desuarchive.org/a/thread/168574200/#q168596959
This has nothing to do with what I'm talking about here.
>You just expected him to be shown doing it
Oh, you can read my mind now? Interesting, considering how I already made it more than clear that I only brought it up as a hypothetical, trying to illustrate some glaring problems episode 6 has.

>Oh, you can read my mind now? Interesting, considering how I already made it more than clear that I only brought it up as a hypothetical, trying to illustrate some glaring problems episode 6 has
Actually, just scratch this. I mixed up the replies. I thought you were still talking about the changing clothes hypothetical scene.
Yes, I was expecting good storytelling: to be shown things, not told about them.

Your expectations don't necessarily represent the correct way to handle the progression and pacing of the episode. Adding those quiet scenes would be terrible for the pacing of what's suppose to be an action episode to conclude the previous stuff already exposed. You just wanted slower pacing when slow pacing is something this show is actually struggling with. It was already ridiculously slow in the build up to the 2nd ride as it was.
Stop being a fag. The way they handled it was fine. Your expectations ultimately are just wrong.

People should be dying in settings where death would be commonplace.

They're terrible at teamwork and come off as disjointed mess most of the time. Goro taking lead this ep was the first time they actually weren't just fucking around while 02 and Hiro did most of the work.

Maybe it's because Ichigo is a shit leader, but they barely look capable for a group that has been training all this time.

>Why did it happen? Just because. We're left to fill in the details ourselves. Same with Dr. FranXX showing up at the end.

It is clear he is running a deliberate experiment with the test kids, hiro, and the oni. He has been watching this whole time so him showing up to see the possible union of Hiro and 02 is not a surprise at all. I swear people like you either don't pay attention or are deliberately trolling. I honestly can't tell anymore as this site has broken my sarcasm and irony meters.

I don't care and even despise idolshit, but now I have a sudden urge to rub Nico's belly.

Because it's for children