youtube.com/watch?v=6z8HYr20usw
youtube.com/watch?v=5aJIby5NJ48
youtube.com/watch?v=04ZfTaMNAWI
youtube.com/watch?v=NY_fuhZpjcw
youtu.be/FiMqZmNHU1I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Best robo

>"I'm a... tomato."

>tomato batman is a pilot of art deco mechas who may or may not be reality-bending gods
I love this fucking show.

SHOWTIME

This anime did not age well. It is self-contained, the ending is lame, it tried a bit too hard with philosophy. It has really cool robot designs though, so I am really happy exists. The OP is pretty cool too.

The theme music also got me hyped for some reason.

FINAL STAGE

>missed

At least it looked cool.

BIG MY

BIG GOD
MEGA DEUS

never watched the second season
it goes pretty lain

>cool mechas
>great music
>looked like Batman
It was perfect for me.

Afro Beck is best Beck

youtube.com/watch?v=sHChe6KY0DQ
Obligatory

How can one man be so perfect?

By being right about everything.

Cast in the name of God.

Yeah actually I am thinking about it a bit more, maybe I'm thinking this cause it did these things so long ago. The battles were largely ridiculous though. It usually ended in "alright god dammit, ACTION" and a big o punch of some sort that actually lands right. The rest of the show could possibly exist in a way without the mechs or having them not be FUCKING GIGANTIC.

Like I said, there are some great things about it, but I think I am a little more negative than positive about big o.

>The rest of the show could possibly exist in a way without the mechs or having them not be FUCKING GIGANTIC.
That's basically all mecha anime, but it doesn't matter because pic related.

If you're saying that the fights were tacked on as opposed to arising organically from the episodic stories, I'll agree with that for some episodes

Did season 2 really bother anyone else? There were some parts of it that were really good, but overall it felt way too forced. The ending where he literally negotiates with God was pretty cool in it's own way, but the season 1 cliffhanger where Big O goes to fight the invading Megadeus felt a lot more fitting since Roger was just accepting himself for who he is in the moment and starting yet another adventure as Tomato Batman.

I can mostly forgive season 2's shortcomings since it gave us more Dorothy though.

I don't like S2 either. S1 is my favorite anime of all time and I prefer to ignore S2's existence.

It bothers everyone else. I often feel like the only person who enjoyed it all the way through whenever I discuss this show.

The last six episodes or so must have been what it was like inside Schwarzwald's head. It was pretty interesting to watch all the way through even if it didn't make sense

I really wonder where season 3 would have gone from the end of season 2.

But I agree that overall they feel pretty different.

I like to think that The Big O is a direct continuaton of Batman: The Animated Series.
The rogue AI in the episode "Heart of Steel" manages to beat Batman, replaces everybody on Gotham with robots but eventually they think they are the real thing, like in the other related episode "His Silicon Soul", where an android think he's Batman himself.
Eventually, after several resets, the base profiles of each android gets modified with each cycle, turning Bruce Wayne in several personas, one being Roger Smith.
The desert outside is a wasteland of USA with the AI defending the territory with nuclear weapons. Robots coming from outside are the answer from the outside world.
Superman couldn't do a thing because Lex Luthor managed to shrink him and leave him inside Kandor. And Brainiac is behind all this IT FINALLY MAKES SENSE.

>dorothy will never call you a louse

SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

time

test

Sometimes I feel so all alone

youtube.com/watch?v=-fxXWzqkSeU

Both Dorothy's seiyuu and her english va think Roger loves Dorothy. So does he?

Sub or Dub?

One of the few dubs I feel I can unreservedly recommend.

Did she have a vagina though?

I've never actually watched Big O. Is it pretty much just Japanese Batman with huge robots?

Where there's a will, there's a way.

For me it was the change in animation that ruined season 2 for me.

If you lied and told me it was originally an american comic, I'd believe you. It follows western storytelling conventions much more than eastern.

There is a clear eastern influence in it though since people attribute shit to "the gods of (insert location)"

BIG DUO!

SHOWZEIT

The first season of The Big O was unironically a tour de force.

youtube.com/watch?v=G9xzhyp431c

youtube.com/watch?v=w5qJkcOlFvQ

Not so much Batman as Phoenix Wright, at least when he's outside the robot.

Roger is a "negotiator"

Big O is beautiful.

on purpose
don't you remember that he was practically a pacifist

>tfw the BDs no longer have the awesome original OP because it was so similar to the Flash Gordon theme that they actually got contacted by Mercury's estate

I mean yeah they got the original artist to come back and do a new song, and the new work is classic 1960s rock and is really good, but it's not the same. Here's the OP if you haven't heard it
youtube.com/watch?v=6z8HYr20usw

Yeah, I never got how or why people make this out to be anything like Batman.

With all these anniversary anime coming out in April, do you think we'll ever get Big O : Two 0 anniversary?

>basically keeps Big O in the batcave
>has his own Alfred
>lives in a mansion

Because it was literally animated by the same people who did Batman TAS and has a similar noir film feel

and

youtube.com/watch?v=5aJIby5NJ48

I know what you mean. I remember watching Big O on Toonami when I was younger and thinking how cool it was that American cartoon makers were trying out Japanese art styles.

I wonder if his dick is also pointy and wrapped

It was probably burned off.

damn

youtube.com/watch?v=04ZfTaMNAWI
Excellent ambiance.

goddamn, schwartzwald was such a great antagonist

Literally a god tier soundtrack.
youtube.com/watch?v=NY_fuhZpjcw

He was more the antihero than an antagonist.

No he's right, he's an antagonist as he opposes the protagonist Roger. He's just not a villain.

Holy shit, that connection! I love that Batman episode, too!

If you remove the Angel self-insert fuckery, the actual Big-O story is about Roger Smith and Dorothy. There's no other female lead

>If you remove the Angel self-insert fuckery

I don't think you know what "self-insert" means

user... the ending speech was how Angel wasn't part of the Big O universe and how she is just a really big fan of a novel called Big O. She was so bored and afraid of living her own life so she runs away from living and imagines being in the Big O universe. It was a jab at how people watch and obsess over fiction to escape what is real.

I think it's because people demanded a season 2

Angel>Dorothy, nerd

Nice headcanon

I know the ending is a mindfuck, but no, the name of the book isn't Big O, it's "Metropolis".

Angel is a "memory given human form" whatever that is, just like Roger is a "tomato", whatever that really means. But she's not a Mary Sue or self insert or whatever, she's a Fujiko Mine clone/deconstruction.

You are right however, that they did the weird ass ending because they were expecting to do a Season 3. But I think there's something resembling meaning buried in there, even if it's mostly just "Don't live in the past".

But Dorothy isn't a female, she's an android.

>Angel>Dorothy, nerd

And here I thought I was the only one on Sup Forums who thought this.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Dorothy, but I go for the damaged vulnerable types. A personal preference, rather than an assertion of superiority.

Explain how Angel is a "Director" and how she was so shocked that Roger and Dorothy appeared right next to her in the studio then? After a bunch of 4th wall scenes of acting and audience stuff

Flesh and blood will always be superior to cold metal. Besides, Dorothy is downright mean at times

>Flesh and blood
Angel is a 30 meter tall mecha user

He didn't actually miss: Big Fau was still in the melted trail of destruction left by the attack, it just managed to stay intact after the left section of the shields and armor failed. If you look closely Alex is never enveloped in the typical "spreading light of disintegration".

Unless you're referring to how it seems like the fire goes past Big Fau for a moment.

Then how did she enter buildings?

I wish we have more stylish noire series like this.
youtu.be/FiMqZmNHU1I

He was an antagonist who fancied himself an anti-hero. Most of his actions were focused on destroying his own illuminating paper trail so no one could find salvation for themselves and killing indiscriminately instead of targeting the Rosewaters. He was basically going insane and totally lost it by the time he found Big Duo, as emphasized by his screaming, flailing breakdown once Big O escaped from the missiles.

Stop using unironically to emphasize shit.

It's just another dumb action show that pretends to be deeper than it really is by throwing in nonsense from lazy creators who had no real plan and were just making it up as they went along.

It's actually quite worthwhile to mention that any effusive praise is posted unironically, because otherwise I might honestly assume that they were either terminally nostalgic or really just being ironic.

THE SHOW MUST GO ON

>youtu.be/FiMqZmNHU1I
HHHHHHHNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Of all the anime to get live action, it's garbage like DN and SAO, and not something that would actually work like art deco mecha batman.

I prefer this one.

S2 had a much more inconsitent quality than S1. The fight against the hydra is downright appalling.

Negotiations with the Dead
The Greatest Villain
The Show Must Go On

were so good it was still worth it.

>pitch shifted to bypass the youtube's detection
>song sounds like shit now
If you're going to do this to upload something on youtube, you might as well not bother

big duo is best mech

Big Duo Inferno a shit though.

Alan Gabriel was shit in general

YE GUILTY