Vinland Saga 147

Still working on the chapter but I might as well start dumping since it's only 20 pages.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UEannNh8ihA
sendspace.com/file/4l13w2
mangadex.com/chapter/109507/1)
youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU
youtu.be/81fJc7mLZu8?t=162
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I love you Hox.

Me too

We should fuck and pretend the other one is Hox.

Based Hox

I feel like they're wasting way too many arrows if they can't even walk out and get back the ones on the dead body.

Somehow goes smoothly from callous inhumanity to really good humor. Impressive.

Is that bastard related to Thorkell after all? It's ambiguous, right?

READY STEADY CAN'T HOLD ME BACK
READY STEADY NEVER LOOK BACK

HOX-KUN
ATASHI WA
DAISUKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII~~~~~

> h-he's fast!

Typo here, Hox. Should be 'past' not 'pass'.

BTW, you are glorious.

youtube.com/watch?v=UEannNh8ihA

Wait, that isn't right, user.

Double wait, I'm the wrong one. I thought user was referring to "trespassed" as a typo. Carry on.

Worth getting the physical hardcovers? They look pretty nice and are an affordable price but I'm not sure if it's going to be worth it considering the publisher keeps bullying people into buying them with threat of canceling the series.

Kodansha USA is putting a lot of effort into it, so I think you should and just think of it as supporting the author. I mean, it's not as good as buying the Japanese tankoban, but there's not much you can do with that unless you can read Japanese.

Jesus Christ, Vinland Saga is still alive?
Jesus Christ, Hox is still alive?

Yeah, where've you been?

you make it seem like either of those things disappeared

>Hey Bob, you ever get the feeliing that we're extras in a story?

Hox, is there a d/l link yet?

Thanks!

Full chapter with the fixed typo on page 12: sendspace.com/file/4l13w2

New Historie this month, but I won't get to it until Monday.

Thank Hox

>but there's not much you can do with that unless you can read Japanese.
How long would it realistically take to learn japanese well enough to read something like Vinland Saga?

I also uploaded the new chapter on mangadex (mangadex.com/chapter/109507/1) since I think people are starting to use it as batoto's replacement. I don't like how the site doesn't have options to have scrollable reading though.

70 hours of focused study.
First learning the alphabet and then the words.
the grammar doesnt matter that much (besides gender like boku/watashi wa).

Assuming your native language is English, you work a 40hr/week a job and maintain a few hobbies like anime or vidya... ~3 years? If you're good or can devote more time, 2 years is do-able, and if not 3~5 years is reasonable for with periodic slacking off. The language in Vinland Saga isn't hard even if it is a seinen. It's something a Japanese middle-schooler can easily read.

Thanks as always Hox, yer a treasure.

So Garm/Thorfinn showdown next chapter?

>~3 years? If you're good or can devote more time, 2 years is do-able, and if not 3~5 years is reasonable for with periodic slacking off.
Well I've been telling myself I need to pick up a hobby. Thanks for the TL and the info.

Bless you Hox.

Who knows, really? It could go down a lot of different ways, even if we know Thorfinn and Gudrid are gonna end up escaping safely. I am glad that Garm's entrance has made the odds of Sig's friends surviving much higher. Last chapter, I was thinking that Yukimura might play things a little dark and kill off the fat one so Sig can learn to appreciate his friends more.

>Jesus Christ, Vinland Saga is still alive?
More alive then Historie that's for fucking sure.

I get a feeling that Sieg's friends will all go to Valhalla just for those reasons you mentioned.

Maybe Crossbow lady does something interesting.

Maybe Garm finds his spear and leaves peacefully.

Yeah Yukimura still could kill some of them off. I mean, he's obviously keeping around Sig because he wants to give him some character development and I can't imagine it'll end in anyway other than him becoming humbled in some way.

What he did with Ketil's son during the farmland arc was very nice, thinking back.

You are a god among mere mortals.

I own a couple and really love them. They come two volumes to a book, and have neat extras like 4koma and another short series by Yukimura about the Shinsengumi. The page quality is good, I like the typesetting and dialogue font, and I ALWAYS prefer books in hard cover, so to me they're perfect. Hox was right in suggesting that they're well done, so if you're looking for an excuse to own them in spite of whatever cajoling on the publisher's part, there's that, as well as the fact that it's still Yukimura's work.

I'm intending to get more and wasn't sure if it's still an ongoing publication here.

>are we the bad guys?

As a northener, half of the viking names in VS sound goofy af, the other half sound like old people's names.

>not posting the video
youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

Garm seems a waste of a character to have him leave the story entirely with this arc, especially after how much Yukimura's hyped up his combat ability. I can't really see him travelling with the crew though because it'd require too drastic of a character change. It would be better to have him just travel the East on his own, now that he's become an outcast in the Baltic.

kek

>I can't really see him travelling with the crew though because it'd require too drastic of a character change.
Thorfinn doesn't want to fight but gets in the fights all the time, and Garm wants to die fighting strong opponents, it would make sense for him to follow Thorfinn and fight whoever opposes him.

Like most of their sketches, the original radio sketches are funnier. They skipped the funniest bit in my opinion: youtu.be/81fJc7mLZu8?t=162

As in
>Settings
>Reader Settings
>Reading mode: Long string (Load all images)
?
Or do you mean something else?

It's not just the fact that Thorfinn himself doesn't want to kill, but he wants to start a whole society that doesn't have to kill. I can't see him willingly put up with Garm if he's just gonna go around killing people, even if they are Thorfinn's foes, because that's basically the same as Thorfinn hiring some merc to do his killing for him. I'd be disappointed in Yukimura if that's what he did.

Yeah I was just kidding about Garm.

Seriously though, as Garm is quite similar to old Thorfinn, some sort of confrontation between the two will take place. Both in physical and moral form.

>Kodansha USA is putting a lot of effort into it
Wasn't there an embarassing SFX comparison pic around?

>but he wants to start a whole society that doesn't have to kill.
To be fair there's no guarantee that resolution of his will hold until Vinland. That's just what our experience reading manga tells us.

I knew you were kidding, but I was still questioning what exactly Yukimura has in mind with his character, because he's too much of Thorfinn's opposite to travel with him willingly, so if Yukimura wants to have him stay in the story longer, I was theorizing that maybe he'd travel alone to the East and just cross paths with Thorfinn every now and then.

Oh I see, they do have it. I wish they had it not on a separate page but as an actual button on the manga pages so you could change it as you read.

Is that only for those who sign up? I don't see no settings anywhere.

In case people are wondering what Yukimura's comments are, he's complaining about how his three sons lost their 3DSes AGAIN.

Yeah,the extra part makes the sketch somewhat more complete

Yeah, seems so.

Garm is a fun character at first sight but I'm worried the more I think about him.
He's not burdened by any bonds, loyalty or family. He's depicted as maybe the strongest fighter in the whole story and without any fear nor any motivation except maybe fighting stronk guys.

Sadly, he's the perfect narrative tool to solve pretty much any snag the author might hit in the story which seems a bit lazy to me.

On the other hand that makes him wholly unpredictable so that's nice.

I just feel his presence takes away from the realism and sense of danger the other characters have.

I really don't like how he just showed up out of nowhere and is as strong as Thorkell. Granted, Thorkell's gotten old but still. I'd be more forgiving if he was at least highly regarded by the other Jomsvikings, but he was basically treated as a good but not amazing guard employed by Floki.

It has to do with him being the opposite of Thorkell just like Thorfinn. He's fast and agile, not big and strong. He's also young, which means it's harder for the older men to admit things like how he's vastly superior.

Thorfinn had the benefit of those around him. With Askeladd the crew was too weak to push him around and Askeladd himself pushed the kid around plenty alleviating most of the merc's negative feelings toward him. Come Thorkell, well guess what? Thorfinn is related and therefore to the men it's basically a given since Thorfinn is the son of Thors Troll of Jom. And to top it off, Thorfinn won the duel against Thorkell.

With Garm, no one among Floki's army knows exactly just how good he is, because there's no one good enough to be his opponent. There's no one to lend him credibility with prestige and lineage, and to top it off Garm pisses people off a lot easier than Thorfinn does.

It's really simple.

Yeah I guess when you put it that way, it makes sense.

Maybe I'm projecting, but I feel you're trying to avoid calling him out as a kind of cool / edgy asspull character that was created to add drama. He isn't nearly as interesting or likable to me as anyone else because his purpose (if not his course in the future) is obvious and doesn't pander to me especially. I'm willing to tolerate him though.

>Thorfinn won the duel against Thorkell.
Come to think of it, he was cheated there by Askeladd, wasn't he? With the sun in his eyes.

Also keep in mind while Garm is Thorfinn level, that both their level, as well as Thorkell, are not exactly realms above the other high tiers like Thorgrimm or Snake, whom are basically at the level of the King's personal guards. The difference the first three have with the rest is that instead of being a balance of str/dex/etc like being some lower level Thors, Thorkell is all muscle and intimidation while Garm and Thorfinn are all speed and agi. Their extreme deviation allows them to pull shit off that the normal powerful warriors can't, such as Thorkell holding back a bajillion logs alone or Garm just dashing up walls.

But in exchange they naturally have their weaknesses, yet at the end of the day they are outliers. And in battle, you rarely get 2nd chances, or enough time to adapt yourself to the enemy. This is why Thorfinn's fight with Thorkell was so dependent on Askeladd who had the fortune of knowing Thorkell's weakness and living to tell about it. Otherwise what would Thorfinn had done?

Hell given enough ammo and distance I'd put Hild as the same level as the monster trio simply because Ulf and friends would stand no chance against her if they started out 100 meters away. It was really only Thors and Askeladd who ever lived long enough and accumulated enough experience to propel the balanced package to the next realm and even then, Askeladd only reached that point by the time his body got old instead of being in its prime unlike Thors who attained enlightenment early on. It's basically about obtaining that Zen mind so that you can push your body much harder and focus much more no different than how MMA fighters and boxers or even general athletes get ready before a match to up their performance to the limit.

>Come to think of it, he was cheated there by Askeladd, wasn't he? With the sun in his eyes.
Of course he was, Thorfinn at that point was nowhere near Thorkell's level to begin with, he simply had a style suited to survive because he's small and agile versus Thorkell being a lumbering hulk and even then he was gonna lose because he used far more stamina for his movements.

About time

Thanks Hox. I hope both Garm and Baldr will live.

Must have been pretty comfy under that rock, huh

He's really dex Thorkel, this is some horse punch level of shit.

Any idea if this ending soon? Feels like it's been years since I last read it

Yeah, now I believe he got them Big T genes.

I've been studying Japanese for like half a year and I can read Vinland Saga pretty easily. What I'm using is Anki 6k basic deck and read Tae Kim and Sakubi and I have no problems with manga in general. Adding 10 new words each day, doing reps and reading. Just read the grammar guide once or twice and after that just read actual stuff and use it only as a reference material, you don't have to memorize it by word. I study like 30 minutes - 1 hour a day. If you find a word or phrase you dont understand just write it into google and add 意味 (imi - meaning) and if it's still too complicated to understand in Japanese just add 英語 (eigo - English). I was actually surprised how easily it's all getting into my dumb head. Soon i'll move to books.

His tweets are funny, too. Mostly about fishing, his kids, occasionally about late-night anime (he loves Hibike! Euphonium and Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou) and best of all, tweets about fixing umbrellas.

This crazy retard has to be Thorkell's bastard. There are too many resemblances that's almost uncanny.

Also based Hox.

>heh
nothin' personnel kid...

more like Binland Saga

Binladen Saga?

I would read that

Thanks Hox.

Once they leave this fucking place the still want to get to Greek for trading

Thanks Hox.

The goddess doesn't have his versions for the recent stuff. Someone get on it. Why is Mangastream even uploaded there?

V
I
N
L
A
N
D

Oh shit

>his three sons
I think he meant his third son

Is it me or is this manga going at a namek like pace?

Nah, we got off the farm years ago and even then the pace wasn't that bad once you read it in one go as opposed to reading it as it released.

>shit, I've charged in with no real plan
top Thorkell