So how far have you gotten in your journey to being a proper anime fan?

So how far have you gotten in your journey to being a proper anime fan?

more like essential posercore

Why is Shinchan there?

>gatekeeping

embarrassing, immature, sad. go find your self-esteem from something that matters. not notches on a cartoon belt.

That is one pretentious chart.

Who are you quoting?

/thread

Are adaptations of English children's novels sponsored by beverage companies considered pretentious?

Pretentious as it is, it shames me that I've only seen Beautiful Dreamer, Macross, Evangelion and Utena.

>All these unimportant and irrelevant pre-Astro Boy works
>All these anime that did "firsts" but are slogs to watch now
>No Ashita no Joe S1
>Fucking Giant Gorg, most overrated anime in history

This is literally a list of anime to make someone feel fucking smug.

>a wealth of animation that's obscure enough to earn you hipster cred but almost no-one actually talks about because they were completely surpassed later

Fucking amazing how there isn't much that's actually celebrated in there.

Is "Do You Remember Love" better than the SDF Macross TV series?

>they were completely surpassed later
>implying a work of art can be rendered obsolete
How to spot a retard.

>believing this
Most of these are good and watching all of them would give you a very modest old anime powerlevel

I've seen 2 I'm like 537.4% of the way to being a proper anime fan.

>implying it can't

I've seen 57 on that list and I am pretty sure it is "essential" only if you want to understand Japanese animation history. This is not for everyone. Forcing this kind of stuff on people is recipe for them hating it.

People don't need to be some useless anime expert to appreciate them. Bragging about quantity of TV shows and movies you have seen is fucking stupid.

Utena is complete trash and Nausicaa is really overrated.

epic

Because Shin Chan films are fucking good? Like really REALLY great, sometimes, like Henderland, Pig Hoof's Secret Mission, Adults Strike Back or Unkokusai's Ambition.

I don't like how much the list flat out ignores 80s OVA period, or puts too much focus on Miyazaki (Cagliostro instead of Mamo?) but it is pretty fucking solid for a starter.

Miyazaki is a Disney-tier hack. Putting him on the same list with Satoshi Kon and Mamoru Oshii is plain insulting.

In fact, the only parts of this list I would find disagreeable are 8 Man and Sally the Witch instead of much more interesting things from the 60s like Sabu to Ichi, Tiger Mask,Mach GoGoGo or Attack no.1.

Old anime like these make me thankful that Japan is a country that prides itself on iterative improvement.

>>All these unimportant and irrelevant pre-Astro Boy works
>>All these anime that did "firsts" but are slogs to watch now
You either compare in terms of relevance or you don't, don't wishy wash around stuff.

At least it has Only Yesterday but no On Your Mark. There's too much Miyazaki on this list.

Fuck off. Nobody wants to watch your garbage.

Cagliostro is more important than Mamo even if you don't think it's better

Or Kaguya instead of Wind Rises (although both are the best they've ever done). I really think lists like this should be restricted to one director per work not to have such acaparation of positions (seeing that Ryutaro Nakamura, Kenji Nakamura or Mitsuo Iso didn't make the list is just painful, along many 80s directors), although some directors are really that important, like Osamu Dezaki.

Where is KonoSuba, Re:Zero, and the Fate franchise?a

I don't really think so (both are very different), but I would argue that Mamo is more representative of what Lupin was in style (specially the series) than Cagliostro, which is just representative of the Telecom Pro style (Fuma and a lot of bland regurgitations after that) and of Miyazaki's talent. It was also the very first Lupin movie and, honestly, there's like 7 Miyazaki works in there already, including fucking Laputa.

Lana from Future Boy Conan and Clarisse are the beginning of the moe style in anime; no other Lupin work is nearly as important. Cagliostro is maybe my fourth favorite Lupin movie but it is the most important and the only one that belongs on that list

Nobody denies Future Boy Conan's importance. In fact, nobody is denying Miyazaki's importance here, outside of that one retard. But please do state why Cagliostro is more important than Mamo outside of probably being the most accomplished Lupin animation.

In fact, why put films at all? The first Lupin TV series has in itself all the potential thematics that Lupin would evolve through time outside of the third series and Gold of Babylon (serious, funky 70s, mellow adventure stuff).

Because Clarisse was in it

I find it interesting that adaptations of Western literature used to be a thing, but then they weren't. Wonder what happened.

I should watch nausica already

Isn't 1978 a bit too late to stablish the beginning of moe anime when Cutie Honey exists, though?

1) They still are in some way or another, check the italian wikipedia for World Masterpiece Theater
2) The massive concentration of western novels in anime from 70s to 90s can almost singlehandedly attributed to Nippon Animation's work in World Masterpiece Theater, although Osamu Dezaki was very interested in western adaptations too (Nobody's Boy Remi, Treasure Island, Snow White...)

Nobody's kokoro goes kyun kyun for Honey; that show is too directly sexual

>Not naming works
>A fucking 5 minutes per ep gag TV show that contributed absolutely nothing to japanese animation outside of some other 5 minute per gag TV shows (don't even remember its name)
>Pokemon?
>Death Note?
>No Denno Coil?
>Kimi no na Wa instead of Kaguya or much more interesting contemporary work?

Much better can be done.

not even memeing but fantastic children is emotionally manipulative mediocrity with zero artistic value, it doesnt belong on the list.

>shit-chan
kill yourself asap

>journey to being a proper anime fan

Fuck you, Adults Strike Back is easily Keiichi Hara's best film and has some of the best animation Yuichiro Sueyoshi has ever done. You have no taste whatsoever.

>Fuck you, Adults Strike Back is easily Keiichi Hara's only good film
ftfy; he sucks

The Shin Chan movies of his that I've watched (Balls of Darkness, Pig Hoof) are pretty acceptable. He's no Mitsuru Hongo though.

I'll agree that Colorful is kinda bad.

>No Bleach, Naruto or One piece

Shit list desu.

Concrete Revolutio was fucking terrible I have no idea why it would be on this.

/m/ keeps shilling this anime as good. The first season was decent but the second season was complete garbage

Yeah I legitimately enjoyed it for the whole first season and a bit of the second but that show has one of the worst endings I've ever seen in my life.

The writing and characters literally self destruct and it's the most convoluted, terrible mess of a conclusion I've ever witnessed.

Directed by the dude that was chief in FMA 2003 no less

What's between Votoms and Nausicaa?

Dallos, it's Oshii's first anime and pretty shitty compared to the rest of the work.

No wonder it shat itself at the end

>Pokemon

Remind me again what influence it had on the industry?

I'm gonna say it's some other dud the user that made the list put in there. They even put Instant History (finally remembered the name), just because it was the first TV anime, even though it was just 3 minutes per episode and is now completely lost.

You should snip off the first 8 rows of literally who trash so you could get to series people actually know and care about quicker. I would have said 9 but you put dragonball there.

Fucking lol, fuck off.

If this isn't bait I honestly pity you.

why would anyone listen to what /m/ shills? tehyll also tell you that your average super-robot show made for children is good.

It was bait. I can actually name 7 of the anime in the first 8 rows after all. I haven't watched them tho.

They still have better taste than Sup Forums, as low a bar as that is.

when you run out of everything else to watch you resort to mecha. ive learned to translate /m/speak, anything they consider a masterpiece is usually decent-ish and worth watching, anything they just consider "good" and "worth watching" is completely generic and not actually worth watching at all. For anything they claim is shit, the actual quality is unknown, they just hate it because its popular.

no clue why youd reach that conclusion. /m/ unironically believes that megazone23 or iczer have any merit beyond their visuals, or that getter/mazinger have well written characters and narratives. that board is a cesspool filled with people who are unable to consume stuff outside their subgenre, who are also incredibly attached to older entries for the sake of them being old. as soon as something isnt cel-animated its bad by default etc. not saying its worse than Sup Forums, but when i browse /m/ and talk to its users it feels like i am conversing with some double digit iq american whose unable to let go of robotech or his childhood memories. and its getting worse every day. by now, only reason one should be browsing that board is for news.

can agree to most of those points.

Here are the ones I haven't seen yet. Don't know if I plan to though. Ashit no Joe is too long, I've seen the Yamato remake, the older Leiji stuff is cool in film form but as series they are tiresome and the rest is also too long or stuff for kids. I did read a volume of the Astroboy manga.

I feel like /m/ is a lot more into scifi which might have interesting ideas or at least things happening, while Sup Forums almost exclusively watches moeshit.

ashita no joe isnt that long. you watch 54 episodes of the first season (the rest is redone better in s2) and then switch to 47 episodes of the second season.

its easily worth it, the first season still holds up pretty well and the second season is a 10/10.

Isao Takahata's work in World Masterpiece Theater is fantastic (Heidi, 3000 Leagues and Anne).
You should watch any Osamu Dezaki, specially if it's from the 70s. (Aim for the Ace, Treasure Island, Adventures of Ganba is being translated right now)
Manga Nihon Mukashibanashi is animator's showcase, the series. Fantastic if you're looking for that.
Gutsy From looks good from what I've seen, but they very recently started fansubbing it.

Sally the Witch, Astro Boy (historical importance and all) and 8 Man kinda suck yeah.

Is Fantastic Children really worth watching? It's been collecting dust on my harddrive for years and I've been considering deleting it for space since I don't know that I'll ever watch it. I don't know a single thing about it except that it used to be on recommendation charts back in the day. I've never seen anyone talking about it.

Not to me. It's a sci-fi tragedy but it felt completely unearned and I didn't really give a shit about the characters. In terms of direction, art and animation it's also completely mediocre.

>Ashit no Joe is too long
plebius maximus
Sally isn't a masterpiece or anything but I liked. It can be kind of funny and Sally is extremely cute
It has a good atmosphere. Worth the watch

>ashita no joe isnt that long. you watch 54 episodes of the first season (the rest is redone better in s2) and then switch to 47 episodes of the second season.
Thanks, this does help does motivate me a bit more, since I had no idea.
>Isao Takahata's work in World Masterpiece Theater is fantastic (Heidi, 3000 Leagues and Anne).
I know those are classics but an interesting premise and art style goes a long way in motivating me to watch something.
>Manga Nihon Mukashibanashi is animator's showcase, the series. Fantastic if you're looking for that.
What's the story with this? MAL claims it has over 1000 episodes. So how do I actually start with this?
The longest film series I consider favorites are Twin Peaks and Utena. But I have a pretty good idea that I won't like Joe as much and it's even longer.

Read Ben Ettinger's writeup on some of them.

>Gutsy Frog present
>Aim for the Ace over Hinotori Hououhen
>Shin-chan present
>Gundam TV but Macross movie
>Evangelion ever
fuck off

ultraposer

I doubt you'll be disappointed with Joe if you reach season 2. Season 2 is a legit masterpiece character drama, it's beautifully directed and animated.

Halfway.