Casshern Sins

Would this have been a masterpiece if it ended one episode earlier?

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=64
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no. the writing was too bad for that. the first half was too formulaic for what it tried to do, and the second half tried to shoehorn an overarching narrative into the show but never managed to truly pull it off. its a strong show nonetheless, but its way too far from being "a masterpiece".

>Would this have been a masterpiece
But it is

I don't remember what happened in the last ep, but it don't remember being disappointed either, so it probably was alright.

it was honestly pretty shit

Ignoring the weak bait in this thread. The series is a work of art in every sense.

It was my introduction to serious Umakoshi designs.

Did he do anything else noteworthy?

A bunch of stuff, though not necessarily with his own style. animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=64

I have looked over his works, I just don't know if anything besides Casshern is really worth while. I did watch Heartcatch Precure but it was pretty mediocre and even visually without the great background art and general art direction of Sins it didn't look that great.

No. The fact that the main character was immortal meant that there were never any real stakes to the fight scenes, and it didn't help that the "villain" was a whiny little bitch

More like 8 episodes or 12 even.

I don't remember a thing about this series. I watched in like 2012

This series is a masterpiece. I have never had a setting communicate such a state of decay and blight consistently. That's probably not even the right words describe it. I can't even really describe what this series made me feel but it was so fucking good. Also the fact this series was born from the ashes of an astroboy knockoff is still hilarious to me though.

It's perfect the way it is.

No. The story completely collapses under its own weight in the latter half and takes the whole series down with it. Also, as stark as the visuals were, the animation reuse was out of control. It's still good, and you gotta respect their attempt, but it's way too flawed to be called a masterpiece.

Janice's song made me cry

>Character Designer and Chief Animation Director in the whole Mushishi

Impressed but not surprised.

>Would this have been a masterpiece if it ended one episode earlier?
oh no...dont tell me there is a pointless happy ending like Ghost Hound...

No, I think user is mad because the ending is tragic.

>No, I think user is mad because the ending is tragic.
how the hell is this a bad point?
we need more tragic anime like texhnolyze

I don't know, it's one of my favorite anime so I don't agree with OP.

i dont like the new Saint Seiya chara. but yeah, i heard it's pretty good and has nothing to do with the original

It's not even that tragic. Robot/human hybrid grows up, showing growth can still occur in the wasteland; Luna grants eternity to the remaining robots; Casshern runs around being the Grim Reaper for those robots who have forgotten what death is. The bigger issue was that it was basically a return to the status quo other than robo-girl growing up.

They ruined it when the twist was that Luna's gift was death. Before that I totally thought that immortality could be meaningful with the Sun called Moon

That was Luna's original gift but it changed after Casshern stabbed her or whatever the hell happened, iirc.

>That was Luna's original gift but it changed after Casshern stabbed her or whatever the hell happened, iirc.
Yeah that was the whole twist, which I didn't like

It does explain how the fuck the world turned into sand, though.

I liked the more vague and spiritual answer where, without her beautiful light, there was nothing to guide the world.

so Luna was the bad guy? nice twist

It being tragic is just part of why it's bad. It's an unnecessarily dark takeaway from the themes that the show tries to present throughout its entire run, and results in contradicting an incredibly gripping and emotional climax from the episode prior where Casshern swears off killing.

One of the messages that the show tries to communicate is that life can't be lived to the fullest without death. It's a simple message with vague enough implications for the audience to interpret this in any way they want. Casshern realizes that he has found no meaning in the battles he's fought and in his journey to Luna after how he sees how passionate Dio is with his purpose to fight Casshern.

Episode 24 changes this message to
>If immortals lose their meaning in life, better just fucking kill them!

Then the finale happens. It starts off with the main characters living a happy life until Lyuze and Ohji succumb to the ruin. Instead of Casshern showing some of this newly found appreciation for the meaning that death gave to Lyuze's life, he curses the world, goes on a killing spree (after JUST swearing off killing in the previous episode) and confronts Luna as if she's "forgotten death" because she's making robots immortal even though they have no real purpose in life. This could have been fine if it was properly executed, but we're presented with a time skip and shown none of this development. How the fuck would he know any of this? is he omniscient? Then he becomes the grim reaper because he's butthurt that his waifu died, EVEN THOUGH HE ACKNOWLEDGES THAT DEATH IS REQUIRED TO LIVE A MEANINGFUL LIFE.

Retarded shit

No, Casshern was still the bad guy originally.

Was the rape scene only a dream?

No.
It was overally excessively slow paced, repetetive, boring, and crappy.

Yes.

It was really forgettable what happened in the anime but if i recall it was the same old trope like kikkaider where he questioned his existence and why he had t destroy his brother bots and many episodes of crybaby robot tears later nothing changes, I still like kikkaider more because he snapped and realized it didnt matter and killed the bad guy with no remorse.

DEVOOOUR CASSHEEERN

was this similar to texhnolyze?

user. The message never changed. After Lyuze and Ohji's fall to run, Casshern was pissed because Luna of robbing everyone of a happy death. He then forced her to give the people who sought her out a normal lifespan as before.

>He then forced her to give the people who sought her out a normal lifespan as before.
That's not what happens

>watch last episode
>pic related happens
>he screams like he's dying in a short scene just moments later (like 2-3 secs)
why did he scream?

Who the fuck knows

I thought he died when i watched it the first time

He has a mouth and he must scream.

To spook