No, really, what did she mean by this?

No, really, what did she mean by this?

she talks a lot of shit for someone who was portrayed as a massive autismo in a previous installment!

Even electronic brain pancake crystal elderly.

He turned off his connection to networks, like an autist is closed off from society. If it were made today she'd say airplane mode.

>electronic brain pancake
sounds about right

A complete shutdown of external communications.

Read the manga/graphic novel; she's pretty saucy in it. I like her 'tude.

She certainly has a lot of attitude!

and a comfy sweater

>sweater
I know she's kinda chibi-fied there, but shouldn't we be seeing some sweater puppies there?

not if it's very thick

but yes, she's got big'uns underneath

>airplane mode
Kek, probably actually would be the case

That's what I thought; and good point about sweater thickness being a factor.

It's a mistranslation. It's supposed to be "Analog" mode. - vs in digital.

Why is it funny? That's what you call it when you turn off a device's wireless functions.

Is it possible for the anime industry to ever see anything better than GiTS?

you sure about that? Autistic mode is a thing in GitS

Sure. We've already seen quite a lot of better stuff, why'd you ask?

Is this a stealth rec thread?

big poofy sweater and big poofy hair and big poofy tits and more

>tfw you realize her regular uniform completes the 80's leotard look

Was the ending of GITS 1995 a tradegy or a happy ending? I say it was a tradegy as Mokoto and Project 2501 did not have time to fully undergo mental fusion, leaving a creature of tremendous ability, but incomplete understanding at the end

more of a bikini, actually

Huh, I see what you mean; I guess you could go either way with it depending on how exactly you look at it. No big deal, just made for a funny mental image.

which series has the random lesbian gangbang scene with the major

Both answers are possible depending on whether you take the spiritual stuff seriously:

If Motoko did have a soul, then she got fucked over by the puppetmaster who corrupted the only part of her that was left of her true self and it's a bad ending

If Motoko didn't have a soul, then it's a happy ending because she's no longer sad. She's no longer herself but she hasn't been herself for a long time anyway so it doesn't matter anyway.

If you take the sequel into account it's kind of a sad ending cause she doesn't seem to be much happier as an internet ghost than as a cyborg.

And of course you can interpret it as a scary ending cause she's a creepy doll with super powers and no sense of right and wrong now.

Childhood is admiring and having a crush on Major.
Adulthood is acknowledging that you are not good enough for Major and you won't be able to keep up with her anyways.

you mean a sexy image

The manga of course

it's hinted at in SAC too

pretty sure adulthood is realizing the Major is a goofy, irresponsible little gremlin and that Deunan, Sybil and Leona are much better individuals

That's the manga.

jesus christ how horrifying

Even if it was a fucking dumpster fire, they got Batou's look pretty good. They had to fuck it up by giving the eyes to him halfway through the movie, because that shit is from military service right

>hey got Batou's look pretty good
no they fucking didn't

>they got Batou's look pretty good.
>pretty good

Batou's dog sub plot, Togusa, and Aramaki were the only good parts. ScarJo sucked out any life that movie had when on screen.

More than this, I always took autistic mode to mean that the shell actively attacks any attempts to penetrate it.

okay atleast he was male and had hair right guys? close enough

>close enough
Paramount executive pls go

I don't remember it being the case

How you think that New!Mokoto does not have a sense of right or wrong? And I subscribe to the first interpretation, that Mokoto does have a human soul as a result of her human origin, but the fact that it was not “corrupted” by the machine soul of Project 2501 is the exact reason why Mokoto’s “ascension” was perverted, as a machine soul (aka the hyper logical thinking abilites of a machine) is necessary to truly survive and live within the rapidly evolving internet

So I don't remember all the exact details of the plot of the movie, but did they mention that the translator girl was Togusa's girlfriend? Did they mention that Nakamura was working with the Americans? Did they mention that the whole hacking thing was an attempt to manipulate the stock market in the Americans' favor by making Section 9 interfere with the diplomatic relationships between Japan and the Gavel republic? Did they mention the whole failed platinum mines funding heist plot?

Right, it is never portrayed that way. I'm just inferring it might have been, since autism is also often characterized by poor emotional and physical regulation (leading to violent tantrums and such). But that's all.

Every time I try to watch Arise I find myself constantly wondering how much it would've been better if Yoko Kanno did the sound track.

Cause she's way too cynical to have a moral compass.

We don't know what she actually got from the Puppetmaster, we don't know if they fully merged, if she only got her powers or merely got a glimpse of the spirit world, we don't even know if her vision of 2501 as an angel was an actual vision or a hallucinatory misinterpretation of a flock of birds.

All interpretations kind of work, because even though Oshii likes spiritual themes, he's also quite cynical towards mysticism.

In the manga it's quite explicit that she's got a soul (even vague psychic powers), that 2501 is effectively an angel and that the spirit world exists. But it's a lot more ambiguous in the movie

and if they had followed Shirow's design for the major more closely and if her backstory wasn't as weird and a bunch more stuff.

The only thing I like about Arise is that there's a little bit more humor and facial expressiveness coming from Motoko than in SAC

They didn't get his look down, but they did get his character down.
Even if it was weird to hear him talk in an accent and not Richard Epcar's voice.

Did they get down the fact that he's a tactless prankster who gets friendzoned all the time because he's rude and dense as hell? And that he fancies himself an explosives expert despite not being half as talented as Bouma? And that he's a bit of a sentimental nonce who gets attached to a lot of stuff?

True. But I have always felt that Mokoto had a moral compass; if she did not have a moral compass, why would she speculate about whether or not she was a human, considering the poor treatment of the machines in the movie? And I do think that it is at least clear that 2501 is meant to be an angel of some sort, considering its androgynous appearance, ability to succeed in very low-probability actions, non-biological origin, and frightening nature, all invocative of angels of the Bible

She's not worried about being human so much as she's worried about being herself. It's got nothing to do with morality, it's just existential questioning. She doesn't seem pissed at 2501 for fucking up people's lives, but more afraid of what it implies about herself.

2501 certainly is an angel in a metaphorical sense. The literal sense is a bit more tricky to determine. Oshii (especially in the early 90s) really likes to hint that his characters' perspective is unreliable and biased, so I wouldn't take that metaphorical flavoring too seriously.

He was sentimental.

Only in some cases.

>Maruta:
People hear "Cyberbrain Closed Shell Syndrome," and picture someone ill-adjusted to cyberbrain technology. But they're actually too compatible, that's the problem.

Togusa:
>Compatible? Really?

Maruta:
>Yes. After they've connected to the net for a while, they want to stay so badly that they try exhaustively not to leave. And if they're on with a specific person, they'll attempt to commit brain-diving in order to share their consciousness, they'll even risk being injured or killed by that person's attack barrier. There are also the solitary ones, loners who seal themselves off behind a barrier, they refuse to connect with anybody making it impossible for them to return. These children exhibit severe symptoms of those conditions. They spend their afternoons here in this ward.

>mfw coming across a skinless village

I WANTED LEMON LIME