Houseki no Kuni

Just finished the series, did it do well enough for a season 2?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tXimtlCvCm4
ebay.com/itm/Phosphophyllite-1-57ct-Gemstone-from-Bolivia-/232084693889
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No anime gets s2 because of "doing well"

No.

It did reasonably well, in the region of 6-7k vol 1 week 1 sales, so it may get an S2

Season 2 will be fucking good, it will be even better than the first.

Hope so!

Is 3DCG significantly cheaper/faster to animate?

Would it warrant an easier S2 to produce?

Generally much faster, but to my understanding HnK uses a lot of 2D art in for example facial expressions and shit.

GEMBUTTS 2 WHEN

Daily reminder that LaPhos is best gem

The biggest benefit of 3D is the ability to reuse assets. The meshes and a large portion of the textures are already done because they were made for season 1. The only really tricky thing would be animating the moon, so it depends on how far the episodes go.

It saves money in the long run, so an S2 should be easier to produce in that regard. However, is right in saying that HnK used a lot of 2D art as well, in a lot of scenes the only 3DCG is for the characters themselves, and sometimes not even then.

After finishing the anime I immediately rushed onto the manga and I can't help but say that everything got weird.

I guess there's nothing left to do now but wait for more chapters like everyone else.

Loads of the gems with only one or two shots don't even have models, only a few frames of 2D animation. All the shots of the gems in winter pajamas are 2D as well.

Generally creating new meshes is more expensive than 5 seconds of 2D dialogue, so new hairstyles and dresses don't get 3D. The body meshes are mostly interchangeable as are the bones.

You should read the manga before you get spoiled

I want to use [PAS]'s releases, but since my computer is a toaster, I have to use [HS]. Will I missing out a lot by doing that?

Probably not

Daily reminder that LaPhos is just ordinary Phos.

It won't be the same

>It won't be the same
It will be better

No. That ugly cgi infested crapshow will never get a season 2. When will you realize that its just a glorified commercial for the manga?

>When will you realize that its just a glorified commercial for the manga?
Isn't every adaption?

Yea the manga has a really different visual style and the newest story developments are really different too. I really enjoy the differences though, and I really prefer the manga's art just because every page looks amazing.

It was good in houseki no kuni's case since all the gems have the exact same body type and all they had to do was switch out the head.
I hope the easy reuse of all the assets would help the case for a second season but I am not very optimistic about it. How well did it even do compared to other shows for that season anyways?

What if is not that he doesnt want to pray not that he is broken, but that he was programmed to NOT pray for those fucks? As in, they were the scum of humanity, lets just let them suffer for all eternity.

>Isn't every adaption?
Yes, exactly my point.

I believe about 5k total sales are where a show breaks even and becomes pure profit?

I'd like to see a S2 for the simple reason that the anime made it much easier to keep the gems apart. They look so similar in manga black&white that I'm often not sure who is who.

To put it into perspective for you it couldn't even out sell Arpeggio.

Then I'm not sure why you go out your way to point out something obvious.

>How well did it even do compared to other shows for that season anyways?
Better than most if I remember right. There's a lot of different factors that goes into whether a show gets a sequel or not, I think HnK was Orange's first show they did entirely by themselves and so it acts as an advertisement for the studio as well.

Sales aren't everything

I do it for the sake of educating newfags and retards in a attempt to drag up the overall IQ of the board.

I suggest you look up what "narcissism" is.

Okay then.

I know you're here just to shit things up but HnK is one of those rare cases that's actually a decent adaption that can stand on its own without the source material.

I know the name LaPhos is only to distinguish him visually from genki Phos and nuPhos

Remain stupid then.

I could maybe draw some quick gembutt if you have a simple request.

Euclase trying to imitate Lapis' signature hair flip move.

> Yucklase
Yuck

But she barely even has hair? Why would she try something like that?

Because euclase vs lapis rivalry.
I don't understand how people don't get trying to do it despite having short hair and failing is what makes it funny.

The real money comes from the other merchandise such as toys or pillows or w.e. in this case they made some official jewelery based on gems and phos' one costed around 10k or so. One fucking madman bought like 3 or 10 of them I forgot.

At least 1 jap bought the phos necklace which retailed for 4 million yen.

I don't know if anyone bought sensei's which was 3 million yen.

That would be 40k and 30k dollars respectively right?

Clicked send before I could finish my thought.

That's a lot of money. That should be enough for them to make a s2

Yes, if we assume they got the diamonds for fucking free themselves.

>sensei's
They made a necklace of hexagonal diamonds?

sexy

They're both genki, one's just cynic genki.

Diamonds are artifically inflated senpai. So am going to assume so are jewelery in generel. They made a lot of money.

I don't think the staff behind the anime would have gotten a cut of the sales.

This was a collaboration between an expensive jewelry company and ichikawa's IP, so I think she'd be the only one who got a % cut of the sales. It probably would have been a small one too, since it's the jewelry company who designed, produced and sold them.

Since the tasaki collaboration with houseki no kuni site is no longer active (it ended), here is what their line up looked like:
youtube.com/watch?v=tXimtlCvCm4

Interesting. I didn't expect phosphophyllite to be that rare.
ebay.com/itm/Phosphophyllite-1-57ct-Gemstone-from-Bolivia-/232084693889
AFAIK no one dares to cut the larger stones, because the material is too brittle to make a success likely.

Lapis trying to imitate Lapis' signature hair flip move.

Orange uses some sorts of storyboards before animating the scenes in cg. Just like Disney did with Tangled.

what I'd give to become the sensei only to headpat all of the cute gems(male)

There is this one on Pixiv.
Praise Euclase!

Thanks a bunch for posting it, I've been wanting to see something like this for months.

It feels like the opposite of pic related which is nice.

why is this always a fucking general?

how about Bort and all the other STRONG gems flexing a-la pillar man

or the gembutts filling Padparadscha like if he were this toy

Jade chapter next month

This. The next few arcs are amazing.

Jade & Euc will rule the world

I've been pretty uneasy the last few chapters. Most of my favorite gems followed LaPhos and I'm still half expecting them to all get fucked.

The pain wont fade guys
Give him back to me moonies

Looking up phosphophyllite on google image and realizing what we've done.

On the bright side, some of them wouldn't care either way

I thought it was going to be worse.

Not as bad as looking up Padparadscha

Damn

My wife LaPhos is cute

>educating newfags
>high IQ
as an intellectual as well have you enlightened yourself with the Richard and Mortimer

Looks like it's a bit less than that, but still a fuck ton of money, especially for what they are. Imagine paying 3,240,000 yen (around $30k) for this.

Sensei's speach last chapter gave me the chills. Things can never go back to what they used to be and it hit me this chapter.

Also: no more excuses for unlimited headpats and hugs I guess?

I wish I could get headpats from monkdaddy

He probably feels too guilty even if they dont give two shits.

>tfw you will never be able to afford a life size statue of Phosphophyllite

Why is Dia so cheap? I would have bought a Euclase one though.

Whats with the big ball next to the gems

Technically he could destroy the gems and wait for new ones to appear and start over

That would be horrible, sensei wouldn't do that!

I'm sure you guys went over this ages ago, but isn't Phos basically dead as a character for all intents and purposes at this point in time? Practically no trace of her original personality or memories remain. It feels like the MC is just a different character now.

Unless it was two cour it would stop at about the worst possible place, though.

Only half? I'm expecting everyone on both sides to get fucked, except Phos (because being Phos is pain) and our glorious new benevolent overlord Euclase.

I can't wait till most of her torso gets replaced, and she goes through an existential crisis.

Phos's consciousness is continuous. Saying she's dead because she's changed is like saying kid you died and current you is someone else. And I'd disagree anyway: I think Phos's fundamental Phossyness remains, however much the outside may have changed.

Nope, Phos is still Phos. She still acts super cute, like when she woke up after her 100 year nap and reintroduced herself. She does have more to her, as in now she analyzes everything like lapis and is generally more rational, but I feel like it was just as drastic a change as when Antarc was taken and she got new arms.

Phos still acts like Phos, but her scrambled memories has left her unempathetic and autistic.

What do you guys think of Euclase's plan of action? I feel like they're going to paint Phos in a bad light when ultimately, Phos just wants to the gems to live without having to fight or worry about being taken away from the others.

Phos' "plan" was to try and make Sensei feel bad. The biggest factor for Euclase was to stand beside Sensei even after he told them everything he could and suggested that they ditch him. There's really no way for them not to be at odds here

Euclase choose to form a new relationship between gems and sensei instead of trying to inflict direct mental shock like Phos did.
The goal is actually the same, they both "change" the structure and functionality of the gem society in hope of a better situation for gems.
While gems like Bort and Rutile might hold hostility against Phos, I believe Euclase and Jade will always try to talk things out when they meet Phos again.

Do you guys remember this scene in chapter 3? Maybe it could be foreshadowing to a Bort vs Phos encounter. I hope not, I want them all to be happy and not fight

Don't die thread plz. All I want is to talk about cute gem girls

You're going to have to come up with something to talk about if you don't want the thread to die.

someone already did that with rutile

i remember rewatching the anime and forgetting this scene had taken place. it struck me even more the second time around. it seems incredibly out of line for a gem to kill another gem and here bortsu was ready to do it on impulse

So, Yellow was put with Zircon because the oldest and chillest helps the anxious young talent. Peridot and Sphene were paired up because they got over their exes at the same time. Jade and Euclase are both boring. Lapis with Ghost because Lapis needed a follower and nobody liked Ghost too much anyways. Goshenite with Morganite because one is cautious and kind and the other bratty and a rebel. Melon with Hemi because they are both pure young and innocent so lets them live like that until the horrible wake up call once one gets captured. Amethyst with Amethyst because Amethyst. Rutile with Padsparadscha because of crazy yankee and sleepy chill dude.

But what was the point of pairing Dia and Bort? Its a recipe for disaster. She is a fragile flower and he is a logical autist.