This movie was good. You don't even have to have read the manga

This movie was good. You don't even have to have read the manga.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SFtLvkqHIds
youtube.com/watch?v=s8qcmCqzbXE&t=163s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That’s retarded, because the movie was just a bunch of vignettes from the manga strung together without proper context. It really was for the people who read the Manga, for them to say, “Oh, I remember that.”
I don’t why you wouldn’t want to read the manga, since it’s so much better

Honestly I don't agree. I've seen it multiple times and it didn't feel strung together, mate.

The whole birthday cake scene felt disjointed with the previous scene. The entire first half was great though. Should have adapted it into 12 episodes or soemthing

What a terrible piece of art, they all look like disgusting moeblobs.
Everybody who liked the movie should definitely check manga at some point.

There's literally no reason for everyone to be and stay friends without the background of the movie project. Theoretically, you could still have the Shouya/Shouka/Ueno/Yuzu stuff, but everything involving the other kids felt tacked on and weak.

Visually it was beautiful. But it was far from a good adaptation. Ending where it did hurt too, I think.

It's hilarious that you make that claim, while posting an imagie that sums up why this is such a terrible movie.

I read the manga beforehand so I get what you mean in wanting and expecting more. And that maybe the second half was a little rushed. I somewhat agree. But it still holds up on its own, and it should interest one enough to try the manga.

What about the image says that to you?

I see what you mean in that the movie did somewhat force them to be around each other. But the movie didn't portray their interactions with a forced feeling, either. There were only a few scenes in which the group is entirely together.

Ueno was a cute

Exactly why it feels so forced and unjustified, when they just straight up copy the potent scenes from the manga without any genuine build up or context that made those scenes great in the first place.

Even without proper context somethings are inherently sad, like the bullying of a retarded child, that's sad no matter what, the movie does a terrible job with it, but it's bound to hit someone "In the feels", because it's inherently sad.

Same for every other important moment, but as a film itself it's terrible.
It suffers from lack of believable motivation and justification, bad things just kind of happen and the audience is expected to feel sad.

What a shit film, glad it was released so close to Your Name, so it got truly btfo, the thought of this terrible film getting the lime light sickens me. Thank you based shinkai.

I mean, looking at this image with no context, it looks like a bunch of friends getting together for a group picture.

In reality it's a bunch of cunts who do dumb shit just because, with no believable relationships between themselves, which is what they are really trying to portray here, it's comical.

>anime secondaries

>I see what you mean in that the movie did somewhat force them to be around each other. But the movie didn't portray their interactions with a forced feeling, either.
It absolutely forced them to be together. They were together only because the plot demanded, and not because, as characters, they had a reason to be.

>There were only a few scenes in which the group is entirely together.
Making it a pretty shit adaptation, considering a large part of every characters' growth was being with the others/learning to get along/etc.

The problem was that it had a lot of potential. Say what you will, but Kyoani can do some really good stuff and the manga source is strong and complex. The failure comes from simply focusing on the wrong things, and dropping the wrong things from focus. It's also understandably hard to adapt 70+ chapters of something in one movie - this absolutely could have been 2 .

Gordon Ramsay: HEY! KYOANI! C'MERE YOU!

KyoAni: Y-yes chef?

GR: WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?!

KA: I-it's our adaptation of Koe no Katachi chef...

GR: Koe no Katachi... A seven volume manga. Did you remember to cook it to 2 cours?

KA: W-we thought it'd be better if we shortened it down to a movie chef.

youtu.be/SFtLvkqHIds

GR: A movie?! A FUCKING 2 HOUR MOVIE FOR A 7 VOLUME MANGA?!

KA: W-we thought it'd be better to trim the fat off the story chef.

GR: Oh bloody fucking hell! It needed less fat trimmed off than Lindsay fucking Lohan! WHAT ABOUT SHOYA AND SHOKO'S CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT! HOW ARE YOU GONNA PROPERLY ADAPT THAT IN A FUCKING MOVIE?!

KA: W-we decided to show more scenes of the other secondary characters to make fans happy chef.

GR: OH MY GOD! 86 THIS FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT! GET OUT!

I watched the movie multiple times and I liked it a lot. I liked it a lot because it had a different "feeling" compared to the other stuff they've done (meaning KyoAni.) If you took KyoAni's name away and told me a different studio did it, I would believe it.

One of Kyoani's best works the only small problem I have with it, The show looks like fucking ass compared to Kyoani standards.

>What kind of shit ass terrible opinion is this
>Lelouch

Ohhh

It looked bad to you? The character designs are great.

Movie is better
youtube.com/watch?v=s8qcmCqzbXE&t=163s

This could have definitely been a short 12 episode series and adapt everything, even fix the ending. But this direction is so talentless she butchered it.
Any competent direction would see the manga content was too much for a film, and would have made a move loosely based on the manga, and not attempt a 1:1 copy with all the scenes while removing everything integral to making them land
Just make a movie about not shoko, and not ishida, cut all the side characters to maybe two and focus on actually building their relationship and deliver on the main themes of the novel, this could have been something special but she ruined it.
Also might I add, while i'm fine with kyoani, their art direction does not work with this film at all, the character designs and facial expressions are all shitty moe, in the manga they had this nice realistic grit and roughness to them, did a lot to sell the ambiance, kyoani fails to capture that and turns everyone into a moe blob, it's too 'light', being smothered in terrible post processing effects definitely didn't help.

This is a film that gets worse the more you watch/think about it, hopefully we can get a good adaptation in the future, by someone with a lick of talent.

Yes, I have to agree, i'm a die hard fan of the manga, really! But if i'm being honest.......the move definitely has better voice acting then the manga.

The way shokos speech was drawn did show distinction in the manga, but the voice acting just wasn't up to par, kyoani definitely did a better job, bro.

Go kill yourself.

I still think 12 would have been a bit too little. Maybe a 2 cour would have been fine. End the first cour around the saving-Shouko moment, start cour 2 with the hospital and the rest of the cast deciding to make the movie anyway.

This way, you can explore the elementary school days, the first meetings, the Yuzu stuff, etc. as well as the other characters' arcs with the respect they deserve.

I did not read the manga and watched movie expected to hate it as i believe Yamada to be overrated hack, but after it admited she is a great talent and managed to creat best KyoAni work so far.

Agreed. The manga is just a complete mess in terms of story and characterization.

It was Beijing Bicycle of anime. Those who can't see it's greatness are not qualified to discuss it.

>Really sappy victimized characters
>kyoani best work

ahahahahah

>This film is shit, and while i like it I definitely can't defend it
I'm just glad we could all come to this consensus.

The purpose of a critique is to say something about a movie he critic has or has not watched. Criticism can be instructive in the sense that it gives watcher, including the author of the movie, some information about the critic’s intelligence, or honesty, or both.

>Manga is full of character triumphs, failures, development, and genuine feelings
>Movie is nothing but a few iconic scenes.

>best KyoAni work so far

C.Designs were fine I was just talking about the movie overall, Like the backgrounds and just general animation, I've seen Kyoani TV shows look more polished than it.

Iconic scenes that became trashy melodramatic schlock without those character triumphs, developments and failures.
I guess those moments were inherently strong enough to move a few fags here and there but for the most part the movie is a dud, and people leave it feeling "meh", like
>Oh there's crying children and suicide, uhh i guess it good?
but it fails to really resonate with anyone, thus it's lack luster performance in japan and internationally.

So it's not all bad, you make a shitty movie and you get the proper response, luckily most people have sense.

>Comparing a great indie movie to 3 hour long attempt of Takemoto to turn whole season of anime into single movie
I love Disappearance, but by all counts Silent Voice is better. Disappearance just has benefit of great story carried by two seasons of anime.

Everything Yamada does has purpose. She does not choose visual look, backgrounds, blur/post processing, music randomly. The look of the movie is intended. Similarly as Liz and Blue Bird looking entirely differently from Hibike TV. Whatever she tried to do, it is not "lower quality KyoAni", but directional choice. You should read interviews to see how much thoughs, inspiration and conceptualization were in every single aspect of it (even though 99% goes over the head of normal watcher)

\
>I love Disappearance, but by all counts Silent Voice is better. Disappearance just has benefit of great story carried by two seasons of anime.

Are you genuinely retarded? Koe No Katachi, as a manga, is a stronger source than Haruhi (arguably). But as animated features? You must actually be kidding.

Tamako Market/Love Story, K-On!! S2/Movie, and Hyouka are all more well developed, emotional, and better made than this film. I'd argue the same for Kyoukai no Kanata and its follow up movie as well.Everything that this movie had going for it was from the manga, and everything it did wrong came from not doing the manga adaptation well enough. It's weak and bland, and can't be taken as a standalone item.

I glad i did not read the manga, so could genuinuly enjoy movie watching it multiple times without getting aneurism like you.

>didn't even read the manga
>the movie is a direct (though weak and incomplete) adaptation
>thinks he has any right to say if the movie is good

>thinks movie is slavish translation of manga and not original work with Yamada as author

>movie starts with The Who's My Generation
>one minute in we hear, 'I hope I die before I get old'
>movie then pushes the message than teenage suicide is wrong
Gee KyoAni, make up your minds

Yamada turned a turd into gold twice, with K-On and Koe no Katachi

>Exactly why it feels so forced and unjustified, when they just straight up copy the potent scenes from the manga without any genuine build up or context that made those scenes great in the first place.
But they tied the unrelated scenes together with DUDE CARPS LMAO so it's 'poetic', can't you see?

Well that was kid ishida’s mindset. Not as a teen though.

How could i forget?

I liked it but it made the side characters look like jokes due to taking out the movie production and it didn't include the manga ending which I thought was sweet,

I don't know why Kyo Ani didn't make a 12 episode Anime or like 3 or 4 ovas instead. It would have been amazing, instead they had to condense nearly 100 chapters into 2 hours.