What makes a good gender bender series in your opinion?

What makes a good gender bender series in your opinion?

>The setting
>How the supporting casts reacts to the gender bending
>How the protagonists reacts to the gender bending
>If the gender bent form is cute?

>The setting
I mean you probably want a setting where the characters are less than 40 y/o, and also where average women aren't treated like shit. So roughly present day or future.
Good point. It's important that they don't just completely ignore it, or on the other hand, suddenly become a harem.
This is a must.

>I mean you probably want a setting where the characters are less than 40 y/o

Yeah but the problem is that it usually means that it’s a generic high school setting. I feel like so much more could be accomplished with a fantasy setting.

> and also where average women aren't treated like shit. So roughly present day or future.

I have to disagree here since the conflict could lead to either interesting drama or comedy.

>I have to disagree here since the conflict could lead to either interesting drama or comedy.
Now that you think about it, it would be pretty funny to see some high-and-mighty present-day bully being isekai'd into a medieval fantasy society where he's treated like a milkmaid.

Too bad isekai is completely derivative and schlock.

Protagonist wants to protect everyone's smiles. Magical girls draw their power from their hopes and dreams. Since people these days tend to care less about hopes and dreams, only the protagonist can save the world from monsters.

>Now that you think about it, it would be pretty funny to see some high-and-mighty present-day bully being isekai'd into a medieval fantasy society where he's treated like a milkmaid.
There has to be an isekai about a guy trapped as his female avatar.

>The setting

Probably not that important, though it plays a role in the next point. Type of transformation is important too; I prefer it to be permanent.

If you have a character transforming into a woman in the modern world then you ought to expect a huge media circus surrounding them. The story should get hijacked by the character being hounded by reporters or other people interested in her such as those who want to follow her example. Living a normal life and having normal interactions would be exceptionally hard.

There are 3 ways to deal with this:
1) The character looked androgynous beforehand and nobody can tell that there has been a sex change (Boku Girl, Nozomu Nozomi).
2) The character moves and assumes a new identity so everyone assumes she's a normal girl (Asuka Hybrid, Remix Heart).
3) Sex changes are normal in the setting (A World Without Boundaries, Kanojo ni Naru Hi)

Though some genderbending stories go with option 4: The issue is simply ignored entirely and everyone treats the transformation as something normal even though it's completely abnormal (Kashimashi, Sekainohate de Aimashou).

>How the protagonists reacts to the gender bending

The character should not just immediately accept it and act as if she had always been a girl (which is pretty much what happens to Kashimashi). The character should gradually adjust to living as the opposite sex. Also the character should be profoundly affected by the transformation, preferably including their sexual orientation. If the protagonists just treats the transformation as the equivalent of them simply having a disguise on then it's boring.

I'd say that a character who has been turned into a girl should be sexy and with a voluptuous body.

An isekai where the MC isn't obscenely overpowered? That's crazy talk. I remember seeing one story where the MC ends up as an elven slave girl, but it was shit and not worth reading. I've come to the conclusion that web novels aren't really worth reading.

There are some isekai manga where the MC ends up as a girl. These include: Guild no Cheat na Uketsukejou, Kenja no Deshi wo Nanoru Kenja, Succubus ni Tensei shita node Milk, Tensei Kyuuketsuki-san wa Ohirune ga Shitai, Tsukiyo no Fromage, Yasei no last boss ga arawareta. Most of them don't seem to be really interesting though.

Log Horizon has a genderswapped side-character but they're treated as a joke.

Anyone hear read Boku to Kanojo no XXX? How did you like it?

bitch changed into an asshole

suffering became more suffering

Let's try this again

Someone other than me actually read Futaba-kun Change?

Call me pleb, but I don't touch pre-90s manga except some exceptions (early Berserk/Jojo etc.) with a 10 ft pole. Incredibly put off by the art styles.

But that's a 90s manga.

Well it doesn't look like it.

>What makes a good gender bender series in your opinion?
Haven't read a good one yet mostly because I haven't read one where it didn't stretch on past any interest I had. Gender Bender is the type of setup where I feel like it needs to be 1-3 volumes of plot because otherwise it becomes rote. Have hopes for this one posted a few days ago by the guy who did the story with the long-neck girl and her friend. Childhood friends that swap sexes at the end of every day.

And really, Gender Bender is kind of a nightmare genre for me. Forcible shapeshifting and mind alteration are things that just creep me out.

No, I also have. Lots of nerd references all over the place. I never could decide if I liked it or not.

Most genderbending series are pretty short.

and forgettable

Traps don't count. And yes, I know that he gets turned into a girl at the very end of the manga, but it's just for a couple of pages and thus pretty irrelevant.

Traps are also gender bent I think you are thinking of gender swap.

Geenderbending is specifically used for gender transformation.

When I'm wearing a skirt, I'm a girl.

Depends on the series.