Pre-2000 anime thread

>This is a 17 year old meme powered robot.
I just finished this series. I really enjoyed some of the concepts it had and the villains were top tier.

I will say however the plot twist was the sort I saw coming but definitely didn't want. I think something like Serial Experiment Lain was more like what I was expecting.
I was also disappointed with this particular image is portraying, I was honestly expecting some kind of ending where she builds mech armor around herself Tetsuo style.

Other urls found in this thread:

nicovideo.jp/watch/sm462285
youtube.com/watch?v=SpDgG-bz6z8
youtube.com/watch?v=FvzPLp9Y_yU
youtube.com/watch?v=lbPophqKU-c
youtube.com/watch?v=RjzGPpM76fQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm watching Oniisama E. And it's pretty great so far.

Make a new one this afternoon if it archives pal.

I decided that I'm gonna watch every anime produced and released in 1991. Why? One, I just want to go out of my comfort zone and see a bunch of stuff I've never would have heard of/watch normally. Two, it'll be interesting to see if I actually can manage to do this, no doubt I won't be able to see everything given how likely some of the more obscure ones will not have subs let alone be easily available on the internet but eh.

To start with

>Shougakusei no Yuukai Boushi: Yumi-chan Abunai yo!

>A video for kids shown in japanese schools to prevent against kid abduction.

Released in May 1991. Does this even count? Its just a 15 min PSA, and there's really nothing all that special about it, other then the cover giving me mad hentai vibes. But nope, it really is nothing more then a 15 min PSA to tell kids to beware of strangers, although I was questioning its educational value when Yumi gets sucked into the video game and the stranger was just some snake man. The loli is cute I guess.

nicovideo.jp/watch/sm462285

About to start cream lemon while halfway finished with Urusei Yatsura.

Why are so many people watching Urusei Yatsura these days?

Maybe because it's a super popular series by one of the all time greatest mangaka thus new people are always watching it?

youtube.com/watch?v=SpDgG-bz6z8

>Maybe because it's a super popular series
Only in japan, weeb.

I just finished Cutie Honey. While there were way too many mediocre to bad episodes to get there, those final four episodes were great. I especially loved how they ramped up the psychedelic imagery up to 11 in the final episode. It is a shame that the show is so inconsistent quality wise, but when it gets good it gets really good.

watching magic knight rayearth right now. not sure what to think of this. art direction is great overall, especially for the early 90s, but some of the character arcs feel so incredibly forced and unsubstantial that its almost painful. this stands out particularly hard because others actually have a solid foundation and well written setup (e.g. most of umis arcs).

Everyone watch Future Boy Conan, ASAP!

>meme powered robot
Like Gurren Lagann?

Because they want to look at Lum's bum.

still waiting for rips of Miss Machiko 46-75

Started the Kummen arc in Votoms,hope it's as good as it's praised cause liked Woodo at first but then it lost me.

Did you really get that far, watch 45 whole episodes?

Friendly reminder that all of the episodes are encoded/timed/TLed for Stop Hibari-kun! and Orphan-Subs just needs a translation checker to release the rest of the series. collectr.blogspot.com/

She's "powered" by other peoples memes.

vaporwave and Youtube recommendation system.

People keep posting music videos featuring animations from it on /f/. This leads to reaction webms on other boards which leads to people seeking oni waifu.

Also, and this is a stretch; Monster Musume and to a lesser extent Kancolle have brought oni/ogre girl back into the spotlight.

Anyone else think pre-2000's anime girls had some pretty shitty nipples?

The bodies are meh in general

No, literally the opposite of this is true.

Yeah a lot of shows had weird proportions, but I wounder if the nipple issue was just a result of classic cell animation.
With modern digipaint you can do amazing things like fade the areola.

But she's an exception.

Because unlike Ranma 1/2 is good at what it does.

Dangaizer was fun.

What plot twist?

I've been watching some Rose of Versailles lately, now at episode 25, and it's starting to lose its appeal since after episode 19. Hopefully it doesn't turn into an anime I hate.

>protagonist is a charming, roguish punk who goes around scamming people
>immediately gets arrested and spends 20 episodes in prison
I don't think I've ever seen this happen in any other anime

Lum was also super popular in Italy
youtube.com/watch?v=FvzPLp9Y_yU

Priss is just too fucking hot.

is the snake supposed to be a metaphor for his dick?

Criminals belong in jail.

You want to know? Spoilers then.
In the series Key believes she's a robot and so does the viewer because of scenes showing her mechanical insides and also because her grandfather, a roboticist, claims to have built her and builds her a new body every birthday
The plot of the show is that she must make 30k friends to "become" human before her battery runs out after the death of her grandfather. What is soon discovered is that when people worship/believe in her, she becomes temporarily human (shown by her hair turning red and "Flesh" forming inside her mechanical form) and displays supernatural god-tier powers but she can't remember a thing afterwords

The plot twist that she was NEVER a robot to begin with and the mechanical aspects you see are most likely representations of what she believes.
In all actuality she is a human with the life force of 30k people inside her. This is all related to how robots in the show are actually mechanical puppets fueled by life force and a power that stems from Key's bloodline, whom were shrine maidens with supernatural powers.
Basically the show implied sentient robots are impossible and that the villain forced her grandfather to abuse his wife and daughter's powers to make a shortcut into making robots possible. The Doc infused his granddaughter with the life force of his daughter and 30k members of the village to protect the village and his daughter from the villain, whom was desperate for the answer to making the robots more efficiently powered by life force. The "soul" of the doctor's daughter sealed Key's humanity away causing Key to be so fucked up and out of place she believed she was a robot which her grandfather encouraged as a means to keep the "human key" from ever breaking out and exposing her power to the ever watchful villain.

I actually wanted her to have at least been a mechanical host for a human soul

That's not a twist, my man. In fact I was expecting a cheesy TWEEST and was surprised at how well it was handled in that show. You start suspecting the robot girl is actually human right from the beginning, and then the show gives you some characters discussing just that, and you feel kind of like you were right all along, but at the same time you start doubting yourself thinking maybe the twist is that she actually is a robot. It gets pretty engaging how it has you in doubts, at the same time foreshadowing the real answer, but sadly the retarded infodumps follow not long after to ruin the great atmosphere built up by then. The real sin of this show is the last few eps and the lack of yuri, otherwise it's fucking great.

It's the best TV show of all time.

They don't really imply that in the beginning, or if they do it's cleverly masked. Remember nobody believes robots exist in the show so I don't consider characters treating her like she's delusional some kind of reference.

Then again maybe I'm just being too lenient on the golden pills she keeps taking in assuming that wasn't probably the biggest hint that she was human.

Just watched the three-part Area 88 OVA last night, absolutely blown away by the standard and budget they had. The dub is solid as fuck too.

Am I going to be let down by the newer series? I heard it's got CG planes instead of cel animated, which is already gonna be a huge fucking downgrade

>CG planes
I wouldn't even watch it.

Also, I agree the info dump was pretty damn rushed. I have the feeling they could have fit its contents into about 5 more episodes while padding out some more shit involving Key trying to obtain friends.
It's like an over an hour of two conversations explaining EVERYTHING right as the show was hitting a steady pace with Key getting closer to achieving her quest. I feel the Miho connection wasn't given enough time to be fully expressed either.

started watching giant gorg and this is starting to look like a problem. i like it so much that i might have to replace something on my 3x3. the shit encode doesnt even matter, yasuhikos work looks good anyway.

Anyone here download Ryvius?

Not me, xpearse.

Well, it's a new BD release of a pre-2000 anime, so I'd say you should. It's also good. Give it a try.

Yukikaze was good tho

I'm about to watch Genocyber. Am I in for some Philip K. Dick tier shit?

FUCK. From what Romeo no Aoi Sora tells me, the WMT remasterizations from Netflix Japan, as good as they are, are letterboxed to fit 16:9.

Pics for comparison.

As you can see the remaster cuts the space above Alfredo's head in the upper side of the image and cuts just across the ferret, completely fucking up the importance of the tiles to stablish the scenery. Ridiculous.

Literally my favorite anime

No. Genocyber is just a simple revenge story. It's just that the revenge goes way, way too far

I'm watching this Right now and I have to agree. It hard finding a series thats equal part substance and style. Especially one from the 70's

Best girl.

You might actually want to check out the English language opening for the show.

youtube.com/watch?v=lbPophqKU-c

>It hard finding a series thats equal part substance and style. Especially one from the 70's

The exception desu.

I mean, dude directed almost a half of what is worth watching from the 70s, which was the golden era from him. There's also the WMT-Takahata trilogy, which also has almost perfect balance between its themes and its means to tell them.

I wonder if the Ace wo Nerae fansubber fella had a good day today

Sadpanda should have a pre-2000 tag.

Eromanga is one thing that indisputably has only gone up in quality in time. Even shit from the early 2010s looks like crap in comparison to modern stuff.

I guess it depends on the artists one likes.

No doubt. I've seen most of his worth. I just wish their were more directors from the same time period who could blend style and substance. Too often I see great story telling with drab character designs or basic story boarding, or vice versa.

*art style

Still attempting to watch all of Sailor Moon before the year ends.

Sailor Moon is so long, I'll never watch it all. I finished R last autumn, but then I needed a break from Sailor Moon and wanted to watch other mahou shoujo instead before I contunue, and it's slow. At least people say S is better than R, but will have to finish the first season of Ojamajo Doremi which I'm watching really slowly before I continue Sailor Moon

I just watched the whole of dragonball in two weeks
Also re watching cardcaptor Sakura

Still working through Lupin specials. Just watched Farewell to Nostradamus. Great movie, with fantastic art and animation. Was a real treat after Gold of Babylon ended up being a letdown.

Those are the movies though. What have you watched so far?

Wow, that's really fucking annoying. I don't mind the DVD version I have now though.

It's a shame, because the actual cleaning, remastering and colour correction is top notch if you look at it.

Specials and movies then. So far I've seen Mamo, Cagliostro, Fuma Conspiracy, Gold of Babylon, Nostradamus, Hemingway Papers, From Russia with Love and Twilight Gemini.

On a good track. Did you like Hemingway Papers and Russia?

Currently watching:

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 - I'm enjoying this even though I'm not a fan of most of the redesigned characters, original Priss in particular looked much better. I think I like the villains more than the heroes, Mason and his robot waifu are just too cute.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor - manages to get a few chuckles out of me every episode, which is rare for anime. Tylor's retardation is kind of frustrating though even if it is comical.

SDF Macross - I'm about 2/3 of the way through, the plot was stalling but seems like it's about to start moving again. The show also requires a lot of suspension of disbelief, still I'm enjoying it. This has its humorous moments as well, I like the antics of the Three Zentraedi Stooges.

They were great. The only one I wasn't crazy about was Gold of Babylon. Cagliostro was a bit of a letdown after hearing it hyped for so long. It's nowhere near as good as Mamo or Nostradamus.

no one has said anything yet, but it's great to her others enjoying Key. it and lain were in production at similar times but Key doesn't get as much attention as it should.

youtube.com/watch?v=RjzGPpM76fQ
90% sure it's because of this video and that whole artziemusic channel

>The real sin of this show is the last few eps
Bottom of the barrel opinion.

You need to up your nipple game, user. Digital nipples look like shit.

You people are absolutely retarded if you think that YouTube videos are the reason UY is popular. Those faggots wouldn't even know about it if it wasn't popular to begin with.

These threads are terrible, so don't expect much.

I like the Kummen arc, it's been awhile since I watched it, but i'm pretty sure it's fairly self contained and doesn't push the mianstroyline much.

Just watched Votoms recently, the Kummen arc is longer than it needs to be but does get good.

the dude said:
>these days
so all those future funk videos rake in about a million views combined and quite some people hopped from that to the source material I reckon.

No.

Is this ironic? Fuck off.

Halfway through Ace wo Nerae and Ideon, both of which I'm enjoying very much. Ever since episode 12, Ideon has been on a streak of great episodes.

Are you planning to watch Be Invoked after finishing Ideon? If not I strongly reccomend you do.

Of course. I was under the impression that the series is incomplete without watching it.

Pretty much. I didn't get around to watching it for nearly a year after I first watched ieon and I really regretted it.

This got stupid really really fast, I might drop it.

I did the same thing the first time I watched Eva.

Smug.

>dropping something that's only two hours long
I mean, I've dropped full TV shows 5 episodes before they end, but at least by that point, I've built up sufficient boredom and anger to know that what I'm watching is irredeemable

And at any rate Genocyber never really tries to be anything other than stupid on the surface. The interesting thing about it, though, is that the imagery it shows you and the plot points it brings up make it seem more deep than it initially appears. With Ohata, it's hard to tell if this kinda thing is intentional or not

Michelle is a slut!

You're free to defend them.

I was about to say it's 5 episodes but looks like it is only 2 hours. I don't know though user, the only part I enjoyed in the entire episode was when the cyborgs transformed and Diane's mechanical body gave me equal parts boner and disgust.
But other than that I didn't really enjoy it all that much, all of the characters were hardly characters and to be honest the design of Genocyber looks pretty retarded.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like it really was going to be one of those shows where people keep sending robots and shit to get blown apparent by the omnipotent main character and I wasn't really seeing much fun with it like other series.