Banana Fish

natalie.mu/comic/news/271085

WEW did they release this interview as damage control to appease the mad nip fans?

Other urls found in this thread:

00.bulog.jp/archives/3169
twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/969265971939631104
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Someone translate the important parts bec OP is being a faggot.

Google says they didn't start voicing yet. Hopefully we get a voiced PV soon.

MAPPA is made by literal retards, they spend time and resources on things nobody cares and ignore their actual hit shows.

>appease the mad nip fans

Why are they mad?

Like what?

It's mostly just the old manga fans who are upset because Utsumi changed the setting/time from 80s New York to the Current Year.
See 00.bulog.jp/archives/3169
I get where they're coming from though.

Even Devilman fans didn't panicked to this (i guess)

Meanwhile stalking Viz, twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/969265971939631104

You know nothing. Crybaby threads were filled with ass-pained people complaining about Ryo's K-pop hairstyle.

>we'll be sure to forward everyone's suggestions on to the proper parties
What a roundabout way of saying they don't give a fuck.

Stupid fuckers at Viz claim they don't have the license to distribute it digitally some how.

And how this annulate what i said?

Because Devilman is a horror that just happens to be set in the 70s, while in BF the combined socio-political factors of those years are the base of the story.

A horror manga with anit-war themes isn't political?

gays on Ice probably. it's their only actual hit.

But they're planning a season 2 for that already right?

Shingeki no bahamut season 1 was quite popular from what I remember, but gays on ice is their only true hit

They're gonna wanna get on this fujo money surrounding the anime hype if they're smart.

Devilman works in a modern setting somehow, the political themes are subtle, and contemporary. I wasn't talking specifically about politics anyway. You can't deny that the society of the 80s is central in BF, switching it to the present is a mistake.

A movie. It might come out this year.

This was out 2 days ago I think. Still anticipating scans/translation of the interview.

This is directed by an ex-KyoAni, no?

God forbid them trying to do different shit every year and going after talent

Hiroko Utsumi.

>only the shows with the most SALES are important
>SALES determine how important art is
>I love SALES

>Two first seasons of Free

She stated any reason she left KyoAni?

What's the damage control say?

That’s what killing sales is!

It's just a summary of the event of last week.

Quick shitty translation of the most important parts

>The Aniplex producer, Uryu Kyoko, had wanted to adapt Banana Fish ever since she became a producer. She sent letters to Yoshida Akimi asking for permission to create the adaptation.

>She is also the person who asked Utsumi to direct, citing the "deep love" Utsumi has for the characters she has created and how that love is plain to see when watching her anime. She couldn't think of anyone who could better depict the relationship between Eiji and Ash than Utsumi. She and Utsumi decided on MAPPA as the studio because they thought they would handle the gritty parts like the gun fights well.

>Ootsuka, the producer from MAPPA, said he was worried an anime wouldn't be able to stand up to the manga, since it's a classic. However, he became hopeful and agreed to take on the project after hearing about Utsumi's vision for the series from Uryu.

>Uryu says they thought long and hard about setting the series in the 21st century, acknowledging the long-time fans of the series, but they decided to go ahead with it in order to attract new fans. She says that the visuals are the biggest change, and very little changes have been made to the script, saying that those who read it thought it had the same vibe as the manga.

What the fuck are they going to do about the Vietnam war then? Wouldn't tons of problems in the show just be solved with cellphones? Why would they even change the setting...for what reason?

>Why would they even change the setting...for what reason?
I suspect they are just lazy.

>lazy
All they had to do was just adapt the manga correctly, it's all right there, the story, the dialogue, all they had to do was animate it.

Utsumi was the one who put forward this idea, and at the same time ensured that "no drastic changes have been made". Which sounds like a big contradiction.
>Wouldn't tons of problems in the show just be solved with cellphones?
I imagine the street kids using smartphones to communicate with each other and get away from Golzine's men

>It's to attract new fans.

It's not so easy. They would have to obtain hundreds of old photos to depict locations correctly, get the fashion, technology right.

Yes. That's their job.

Do something else if they think they're not up to the task or get someone who can do it, dumb Aniplex producer.

I haven't read the manga so don't know much about it but most series or most media in general are meant to be contemporary and not period pieces. They're just in their time period out of necessity really. Some people are obsessed with different time periods though and think the time period is a defining feature of the series.

It so much work to change the story from 80s to modern times though, jesus. They even said they went through many redesigns for Eiji and Ash.

Devilman works fine in most time periods. The themes were universal and about humanity in general.

Banana Fish put some real care into writing it for the 80s setting. The themes were about shit going down in the 80s. It wasn't hyper-realistic, but it obviously was drawing from a lot of topical stuff for its time period, and not in a "we're just going to reference hot topics" way.

It's not impossible to update BF to be as rooted in the 2010s as it was in the 1980s, but it would take a shitton of work and it already seems like they're not going to do that. Just for example, the main villain is still a mafia boss. The modern day mafia is a shadow of what it was ~40 years ago. So now you've got a less impressive or less realistic villain. Similar case for the gang violence: it made sense to write a story about gangs in the middle of the 80s crime waves. Move it to the current year and it's out of place.

And putting aside the larger themes, lots of minor shit needs replacing. The staff keep saying they haven't changed the script much, but that would be nonsensical. Castro is dead, the Iran-Contra affair is over, the KGB is defunct. It's a lot of work just for the sake of updating the visuals.

Uryu kind of gives me hope but her going to Utsumi is just a fucking dumb move.

>very little changes have been made to the script,
>same vibe as the manga.
Sticking to the script would not give you the same vibe as the manga. Creating the same vibe as the manga would not be achieved by sticking to the script.

>very little changes have been made to the script,

This is bullshit. There's no way there wouldn't be changes if they moved the story into the modern era. I don't see how it being set in the 80s would turn off new fans either.

>acknowledging the long-time fans of the series, but they decided to go ahead with it in order to attract new fans.
You tried to draw in a new otomefag audience with Virgin Soul at the expense of your existing fujo and fantasy fans, MAPPA, and look at how that fucking turned out.

>who could better depict the relationship between Eiji and Ash than Utsumi
So is this going to be even gayer than the manga?

Let's be honest: it's going to be shit.
Banana Fish is an incredibly tricky adaptation, MAPPA is a greedy studio with not an ounce of artistic integrity, and Utsumi is a fucking hack.

What's so bad about Utsumi? Serious question.

Average director with directing experience with only 1 series. Now she's responsible for changing the setting of Banana Fish.

>Banana Fish is an incredibly tricky adaptation,
Even ignoring the time period changes, I'm wondering how much of this they're even allowed to show on TV. Kids shooting each other, drugs, drinking, abortion clinics, all that rape and pedophilia.

Since when did Japan ever give a shit about drinking, pedos, and rape? Only american TV will recolor alcohol bottles in the background to make you think it's orange juice.

She was clearly brought on just to strengthen the fujo angle, which is undeniably a central part of the manga, but making decisions like moving it to modern times is sacrificing story for visuals and a huge red flag.

>Since when did Japan ever give a shit about drinking,
Every time they insist kids are magically getting drunk off of "juice" and go out of their way to emphasize it's totally nonalcoholic. They also have pretty strict rules about cigarettes these days.

There's nothing wrong with bringing her in for her "fujo expertise" but putting her in charge was a mistake. They should just let her be part of the creative staff and let her do the fanservice and action scenes.

Yeah, I think that would work.

What weirds me out is the new designs actually look passably 90s to me, which would be sort of workable with the story. You'd at least still be pre-9/11 and in the middle of some drug, crime, and mafia problems.

So can someone summarize the setting? I remember being related to Vietnam, and I am wondering if the new setting is going to be related to 9/11 or some 90s Afghanistan affair?

>in charge of strengthening the fujo angle
>has never heard of Banana Fish
She can't even do this right.

It starts during the Vietnam War with bad guys testing an experimental drug on soldiers, and MC1's brother gets fucked up on it. Most of the action takes place in the mid-1980s, with MC1 investigating the drug then taking revenge on the mafia for his brother and a bunch of personal reasons, since he used to prostitute for them. MC2 is a reporter's assistant in the wrong place at the wrong time, but he hits it off with MC1 and gets pulled into things.

I'm guessing they'll have to replace it with Afghanistan. They'll need to find replacements for the mafia's political motives too, if they ever make it that far.

Thanks, user. I see a retarded adaptation, does even mafia plot works nowadays? I am afraid the setting is going to be stupid.
Also, now I remember why I always thought about Jacob’s ladder when I read the manga.

I don’t understand why they changed the setting when the Vietnam War would be the least offensive thing they could cover, considering all the other incidents that have occurred in recent US history. They might wind up doing something completely fictional instead.

Nips don’t even know about WWII so maybe they wanted to avoid people going to Wikipedia and finding about Japan adventures during the XX century.

>does even mafia plot works nowadays?
The mafia in NY started declining around the 90s. They're still around but obviously not at their peak like in the manga. Not to mention post-9/11, people and law enforcement give a much bigger shit about terrorism prevention than organized crime.

Though to be fair I don't know much about the state of the Unione Corse specifically. Apparently there's been a surge in heroin deaths out here in the past couple years so maybe they can pretend the Corsicans made a comeback.

>to appease the mad nip fans

Why are they mad?

Sing when?

nvm, i didn't see this

>Still relevant
Why Americans have bad taste?

Utsumi won't have a hard time adapting it to 2018 then.

They could try to make something up with the Russian mafia or cartels

Best boy.

This is 2 cour, right? Is that even enough to cover the whole thing?

Russian and Carterls have different structures from old mafias. Some recent articles explain old mafia structure, the family one, is already changing to a corporate one, which is a big impact in the way the whole chain works.

24 eps and who knows if that's enough.

Maybe because when they originally licensed the manga in the 90s, digital licenses didn't exist, and licenses do expire over time, and digital licenses are separate from print licenses.

I don't know man.

He's still named "Dino Golzine" so I think we can rule that out.

Fujo magazines don't get scans unless some girl on tumblr does it, or you belong to a chink secret club.

But it is in this series one of the important parts though

I hope they show a black guy raping him in prison.

You know it will be more than one.

>MAPPA is a greedy studio with not an ounce of artistic integrity
From a person that hasn't been following their work since they were the bright and shiny new studio from Masao Maruyama that made Sakamichi no Apollo, what happened?

I'll try weibo.

Appealing to fujos sells so they told the old man to fuck off since he's garbage with managing money.

So they finally stopped trying to do Dreaming Machine?

Maruyama is at M2 now. They've literally done one TV anime and that's it. Either their radio silence is because they're secretly working on Dreaming Machine, or the dream is dead.

It has been almost 9 years by now. At least release the storyboards or something, let the man rest.