Higurashi

What's Sup Forums's opinion of pic related?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AK4G3M3ZgPw
store.steampowered.com/app/310360/Higurashi_When_They_Cry_Hou__Ch1_Onikakushi/
youtube.com/watch?v=9opZi6PluKI
youtube.com/watch?v=BreBCICIIuA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

my first anime, so i have fond memories
... bittersweet memories

It's a classic. The manga is better but the anime is enjoyable to watch.
VNfags are way too hard to criticize.

First anime I watched, gave me a trauma and my first fetish about fucking twins.

Kai OP is the best OP in existence.

I want to Hanyuu's horns

Babbys first edge

It’s ridiculous and stupid fun for me. I don't even consider it to be good denpakei work but it's fun for what it is. I think even better than VN since it felt like anime embraced the ridiculousness while VN is just feel outright stupid at times with dragged out scenes. Honestly r07 got some worst sense of pacing in his works.

Loved it

Ryukishi is not called a hack for nothing

Nipppa

Rena is my wife.

I want to take her home

>sticking it into crazy

I want her to take ME home!

Entertaining. The first time you hit a bad end you're thrown for a loop. I certainly was at the time. However, I had no prior knowledge, and just picked up on a whim. 11 years later and I still think about this show when I see white vans. I could never decide if I liked Shion or Mion better.

I'd her horns.

a horrible adaptation of a mediocre vn. what a waste of fucking time that was. people who claimed the vn is actually really good were just fucking wrong or working with vn standards.
what a waste of time playing it was.
it came along too early to inspire good fanart. basically everything about higurashi is shit.
umineko gets fanart but higurashis is crap.

its a bunch of concepts you really want to like but all the presentation is lacking.

>not wanting to stick your dick in this

Read the VN.

that reminds me, which one was the love interest?

Remake with competent studio when

It was good adaptation of an horrible vn. On the other hand umineko got the horrible adaptation of horrible vn. R07 is fucking hack.

Never ever

what's wrong with the animation? It might look a little outdated and slightly off, I think it lends to the atmosphere. In the same way that the less than stellar voice acting in silent hill lends to it's atmosphere. It's off, but it lends to the creepy and oppressive tone that both the games and the anime set.

youtube.com/watch?v=AK4G3M3ZgPw

I am such a Higurashi fanboy. This song fills my heart with hapiness.

The animation wasn't really the problem.
The story was rushed and so much character building and world building was ignored, completely ruining the themes of the visual novel.
Plus you get some anime only plot holes

now i wanna play the vn, which one do you start with?

I loved it. Really would like to watch it again soon.

Onikakushi

Onikakushi-hen
store.steampowered.com/app/310360/Higurashi_When_They_Cry_Hou__Ch1_Onikakushi/
all the games are numbered on steam.
If you finish episode 5 before the rest of it comes out you can find the old translation somewhere online.

Don't forget to apply voice acting, sprite/background patches

I didn't find the story rushed as much as I did oddly paced, which was refreshing. character building was ignored? every character got their own four to five episode arc at the very beginning. And the world was built right alongside them.

i actually remember watching the anime like 8 years ago, thinking to myself how nice it would be to have friends like that

>You will never have a bunch of cute friends you can play card games and bury dead bodies with

exactly, and now i will never have any friends to shoot the shit and have a beer with either

It's great despite the flaws which come from being a VN adaptation. 10/10 OPs, the QUALITY isn't nearly as bad as people used to say, and the VN is a masterpiece.

Wait isnt that the one where the girl stabs herself in the neck over and over again while some green haired chick laughs? The artstyle looks the same.

yes

that fingernail scene from the first season traumatized me.

Some good vibes, literally one of the best OPs ever, a few off kilter scenes...
But it's really annoying and nonsensical most of the time, and the edge is strong

Beginning series is mediocre, Kai is ok. Both are shit compared to VN as the adaptation has a shitty tone to everything compared to the VN.

I watched the English dub and after a horrible first few episodes I eventually grew to like the voice acting. Is there something wrong with me?

english dubs dont work not just for the voice acting, but i think its a cultural difference too, for example when someone says something and another character grunts in response instead of actually saying something. works in jap but its so autistic in english

Despite the edge, Higurashi still has one of the best opening songs in anime. I'm talking about the actual full version song, not the visual in the opening:
youtube.com/watch?v=9opZi6PluKI

My favorite VN adaptation.

>I didn't find the story rushed as much as I did oddly paced, which was refreshing. character building was ignored? every character got their own four to five episode arc at the very beginning. And the world was built right alongside them.
No, it didn't, it skipped key scenes, key moments, key developments. It's an horrible adaptation worse than Umineko.

For christ sake, the whole plot in Rei is basically missing.

All I want in life is to shoot the shit and get drunk with Rika

The mystery behind murders and things like how people gradually losing their mind when moving out Hinamizawa were cool, but most of the gore scenes existed just for the sake of gore.

ANCIENT ALIEN RAGE VIRUS

RIKA'S BEEN LOOPING FOR YEARS BECAUSE GOD'S RETARDED

THEY BEAT THE BAD GUY AND HER LEGIONS OF MILITARY-TRAINED GOONS WITH PRANKS, SIMPLE TRAPS AND THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP

The parasite and the XYZ solution are very clever

I think the pacing was one of its strengths.

I liked it and it has great girls
Hnngh

Of the anime?
I think the VN has fine pacing but the anime just throws you in the deep end right away.
In the VN you get that first premonition scene of the whacking, then the slice of life really takes over for a couple hours to get the reader acquainted with the nice, friendly characters.
However the anime didn't seem to hold Onikakushi in much regard and rushes to the festival in two episodes, or 40 or so minutes.

The emotional point of early Higurashi is to shock the senses when the world flips from good to evil. In the anime because the transition happens so quickly it feels like it's gore for gore's sake and you don't feel confused by the characters. Because Rena goes crazy so fast you have no doubts about her behavior, yeah she was always crazy.

Mion best girl.

OP and ed were good. I liked the series.

>shit characters
>godawful animation
>ugly as fuck art
>retarded VN-tier dialogue
>edgy exploitation stories about lolis suffering
>interesting episode structure
It's shit.

>shit characters
Take that back. The only shit character was Satoko and no one can refute that.

>VN-tier dialogue
Pretty meaningless statement.

You're a shit character

It was never as simple as exploiting, or shouldn't have been.
Each character suffers through their own guilt and mistrust of others. It's actually a really fucking cheesy story about forgiving each other for their sins, and not worrying about secrets.
The story would make less of a point of it's morals if the characters didn't suffer and become animals(specifically K1, Rena, Shion and Satoko) because of what they'd done.

The cuteness of bratty and precocious children is just lost on you.

I was referring to the anime, but I'm just a secondary so I would not know any better. Guess I'll go read VN then.

Just so I know what am I expecting time wise and is it an eroge?

>eroge
No. There's very little sexual content even in Higurashi, for how dark it is. Just the occasional ecchi joke. A little odd considering his other works have prostitute main characters, child rape and rape babies.
Time wise it's really long. I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 hours. It's a good read for summer. If you don't like the art you can patch in whatever you want.
Voices only work in the new steam versions, which have only been released to episode 5(Shion's arc) so if you want full voice acting you might have to wait.

Let me rephrase that. Other than first arc it was good. Don't remember liking first arc

The anime really gets better the further you get. They did well on the ending. And I think the OVA of Rei is an a pretty much perfect adaption.
Exception is Tsumihoroboshi, that was awfully done for such an important late game moment.

I agree on getting better as it went. By the end I loved it but it took a bit to get going.

>summer reading
I miss having summer vacation. But I guess I'll read it bit by bit over time. Thanks!

>bad guy
You mean girl?

That actually makes sense in the VN, where we learn all the way back in the third or so arc that Satoko turned an entire mountain into a public hazard with her DIY skills. The anime rushed the fuck out of pretty much everything involving her.

Still cheesy af

Hanyuu is pretty shit too.
>hanyuu pls help
>uguu i cant do a thing nanodesu!
>but you're a go-
>how DARE you contradict the great oyashiro-sama, foolish mortal!

Deities get their power from people worshipping them and barely anyone even knew she existed.

>"ahhhhm sooooo soooowwwweeeeeee"
>"WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT NOISE?! THAT'S IT, I'M KILLING MYSELF!!"
>"dats so stwange. ooh! another loop! time to do the exact same thing again! awen't I pwecious? uguuuuuuuu"

>tfw babby's first edge was 12 years ago.
it still left an impression for me tho. it wasn't complete trash

>They did well on the ending. And I think the OVA of Rei is an a pretty much perfect adaption.
Uh, except the part in which they cut all the Rika's character development Bernkastel plot?

If you take higu as an standalone story with no connection to umi I say it's fine.

Will always be a favorite of mine. Also one of my few early anime that aged well enough, even if I now see the many flaws in animation, everything else is still solid enough.
Need to rewatch it anytime soon.

Rei was written before Umineko, it's the culmination of Rika's journey and character development.

Rika->Bernkastel isn't the point of Saikoroshi-hen. It's a cute little connection. She's afraid of the idea that she's different from a regular Rika and calls herself Bernkastel to differentiate from the innocent Rikas she took over. It's hardly what you'd call a "plot" either, even in the VN it's a small scene.
Though you're right anything lacking keeps it from being "perfect". I should say near-perfect.
Rika gets her development in recognizing she let her parents die, or more than that, her ideal happy world didn't include her parents. That's what the story is about and that's where she grows, she both recognizes her sin and throws away the world where nobody sins. The pivotal moment is clearly her cutting down her own mother.

>Rika->Bernkastel isn't the point of Saikoroshi-hen. It's a cute little connection. She's afraid of the idea that she's different from a regular Rika and calls herself Bernkastel to differentiate from the innocent Rikas she took over. It's hardly what you'd call a "plot" either, even in the VN it's a small scene.
No, it isn't, wtf. Did you even read the VN? It's a bunch of scenes a a continuos plot thread through Rei. It's a garbage adaptation like the rest of Higurashi that completely destroys all character development and plot points.

It's not such a big deal dude. The manga shows Bernkastel in less than four pages as well. Stick with the VN if you don't like the anime.

I don't need the anime, the anime is trash.

Well I admit though I rewatch the OVA once in a while I haven't re-read Rei in years.
>completely destroys all character development and plot points
Haha now you're just being hyperbolic.
The recognition by Rika that she's not quite the same as her past selves is important. I'll concede that. But do you have any other instances where it comes up, other than your screenshot and the wine scene?

The most important points are still shown, and the emotions. Rika's guilt and confusion. Her hitting Satoko, thinking she isn't the same. Desperation to get back to the world of sin.
What do we really lose by not including a few lines of Bernkastel?
You don't like Kira either?

Not that user, but the only good thing about Kira was mini Rika, the rest was forgettable.

Did this thing ever go anywhere interesting?

It's still on-going, just being released really fucking slow.

I enjoyed it a whole lot, but it was a shame how badly R07 ran it into the ground.
The first half was excellent, but apparently there was nothing to uncover.

With Umineko he at least made that apparent from the start.

Which version the second art came from? I like it better than the psp version.

What are your thoughts on this really horny grandma?

New art for the steam version.
All in all it looks pretty shit in my opinion, but Rika and Satoko at least look good.

DEEN

After reading the VN I saw a webm of Satoko thrusting herself into the knife, making me wish I had watched the anime first. My poor imagination did no favors to anything.

>Feel the chill run down my spine after 1s.

Rika you mean.

Also, the manga did it way better than the Anime.

youtube.com/watch?v=BreBCICIIuA

i still have not seen the second season

They also had support from few paramilitary guys and fucking yakuza.