So what makes Shounen popular? Has anyone figured out what they do right that gets them fans...

So what makes Shounen popular? Has anyone figured out what they do right that gets them fans? Why was I obsessed about this shit when I was a kid? (Soul Eater, etc). I try to rewatch them now that I'm older and they all suck.

Because kiddos in nipland like it. Its a nice form of escapism for me.

>So what makes Shounen popular?
Good story

>So what makes Shounen popular?
I think it's the characters most of the time and production value put into some of them.
Most of these battle shounen series are very formulaic and usually fail to surprise me anymore.

>So what makes Shounen popular
>Shounen
>anime

everyone who likes shounen is autistic, at least a little bit. the power systems are just fodder for that, so that's why we get hooked. your protag is a blank canvas which the viewer mirror neurons into, so when you finally see the MC beat the shit out of the bad guy, you feel like it was YOU who beat the shit out of the bad guy, or your dad, or whatever man

what bums me out is sometimes you'll find a show with some real magic in the first few seasons, where its really doing its own thing like idk, jojo for example, but then the later seasons just become a fill-in-the-blanks, madlibs version of itself

Because kids like fighting and because DBZ as cheap most of the international anime community exclusively likes battle Shounen with the exception of shows like Case Closed. Then at some point the west discovered Moeshit slice of life which became the sort of second layer of anime viewers.

All the great dramas, suspense and experimental shows became relatively obscure by comparison.

>halfway through the FT manga
Random thought: a this point you should just ask yourself, "What silly power-up or sudden rescue will get them out of it this time?"

Shonen literally means young boy. Of course you'd be less interested in them growing up, the fuck are you thinking. These series were meant for children that like color and explosions, obviously when you look back on them you realize that they offered nothing else.

The fuck kind of question is this.

There is an illusion in the west caused by the fact that Japan has different censorship laws that makes people think because Shounen can have some degree of fanservice, the concept of death and some small degree of blood that it passes a maturity threshold.
This is also because the western capshit industry almost has the same tier of bad writing as shounen for their adult comics so ultimately the west can't comprehend that Shounen is for young boys.

Then again, it's really not like violent battle Seinen is really much different beyond gore and sex.

Cartoons made for kids are more successful because most people that watch cartoons are kids.

That's the entirety of the manga, user. Just turn your brain off and don't expect too much of it

>a this point you should just ask yourself, "What silly power-up or sudden rescue will get them out of it this time?"
Why would you even care? FT is about the sexy girls doing sexy things and the weird magic power sets. The plot is there, but it's as important as the plot of Doom-era FPSes

don't think any plot point teased will ever develop either

American cartoons are coddled. They can't even show people getting punched, it's always a brief flash and a reaction of the character falling and reeling. No wonder shonen series are seen as more mature despite targeting the same demographic.

Same way people get addicted to RPGs and to an extent freemium idle games. People like to see the main character progress and get stronger and beat villains who get stronger and stronger each time.

That should be slowly changing because it's a boomer mentality that animation can't portray mature stories.

I remember during a visit with my parents my Father wanted to go see the GitS movie and I told them it was based of a japanese anime film (he wouldn't understand if I said manga) and that we should watch that instead because it's far better than the shitty hollywood tripe.
There was a noticeable disinterest, as long as the film had real actors he could see himself watching it even though the animated films were far better done, because even if I could explain that the animation handled itself far more seriously and maturely than the shitty hollyjew film he couldn't comprehend that it was possible, because cartoons are for kids.

It's a boomer and gen X mentality that will probably vanish one day.

Shonen, seinen, shojo, etc are just demographics. Not all shonen is bad and not all seinen is good. Shonen anime are typically terrible adaptations too so that doesn't help.

It's tards like you who are responsible for fairy tail being so awful. Hiro wouldn't have done it if he didn't know he could get away with it. The people who read it and bitch about it are responsible for shit manga like this. Why would he put in extra effort in his story if you will read it regardless?

I've never once bought any of his manga, so why should he listen to me? Also, I'm not Japanese.
Try making sense.

You can make a good comic aimed at children.

It's just really difficult.

People born from 86 on were heavily exposed to anime and grew up in the Disney Renaissance. It's already eroding.

>There is an illusion in the west caused by the fact that Japan has different censorship laws that makes people think because Shounen can have some degree of fanservice, the concept of death and some small degree of blood that it passes a maturity threshold.
Good luck having such illusion broken by anyone who read a lot of shounen manga, especially the monthly ones.

So I heard somewhere that ever since Dragon Ball ended, WSJ is responsible for starting the very trend of having battle shounen where the MC undergo "zero to hero" path. What's up with that?

fights and explosions with some jokes
same reason people like capeshit movies