What was Light's biggest fuck up?

>Hey L look! Kira has access to police files! It's not like it will help you narrow down the suspects!

Other urls found in this thread:

gwern.net/Death-Note-Anonymity
youtube.com/watch?v=wxesJY-u4Hg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Killing fake L. If he didn't do that back then he would have won without any problems. There's no way to find one exact person who kills without leaving any traces when the entire world is a search area.

Attracting L's attention in the first place.

Exactly this, his reasoning was shit. What if the police decided to ally themselves with L instead of trying to arrest him? The odds were just too low for such a plan and the risks way too high, that was the dumbest shit he's ever ever done.
We can forgive that, it really isn't Light's fault, how could he have known.

Mandatory on how he fucked up:
gwern.net/Death-Note-Anonymity

>We can forgive that, it really isn't Light's fault, how could he have known.
I think at this time, Light thought he was still only up agaisnt normie cops, wasn't really aware the battle of wits between super geniuses already started.

this is really cool

Killing Rey Pember after only one week
Picking a fight with L in the first place was dumb but i can understand wanting to get rid of him, killing Rey Pember however was just plain fucking dumb

>I'll kill the FBI agents at random times! The greatest detective in the world will never think about who asked for the file first! I'm a genius!!!

There is a fuck up that I suspect is often overlooked and there was no reason for him to do it. The hotel notepads.

If he was willing to go through the trouble of bringing fresh notepads, he should just write on those.

I don't have the strength to give post time-skip DN more thought than it deserves

With mistake 1, I Light wanted Kira to be recognized to give people a deterence for crime. But then there are better ways than to just make everything a heart attack. I think it may have been better if Light made all the victims commit suicide leaving a message that they done so in being possessed by a ghost that attacks criminals. It makes a false source while still supernatural, distracts from the death note itself and also harder to find a means to combat for any cops assigned to the case. It also fits his ideal since the message to deter crim would be sent across loud and clear rather than a bunch of vague heart attacks.

How else was he going to get rid of Penber?

Getting rid of him wasn't neccessary, he was already cleared of suspicion and the FBI investigation would probably end up turning moot
But if we still consider that Penber absolutely needed to die, then just give the guy more time
Light deliberately killed him one week later as to give him more time to investigate other people, but in total Penber was only able to investigate 2 families and that immediatly put Light under L's mark, give the guy more time to investigate like 7 or 10 families at least and Light would have a lot more breathing room

Murdering people

Or just give him the order to deliberately fuck up the investigation and try to get accidentally killed on day 30?

How many criminals could there have seriously been? Like, how did he not run out of fucking people by the time the timeskip was up

Killing everyone with a heart attack, to make sure they knew one person was doing it

Or he could have gone for completely ridiculous deaths. Just imagine if every single death he caused had been from a small meteorite flying through the victim's head. Basically anyone would have drawn the conclusion that it could only have been God

Pretty sure that would be impossible with the Death Note and the dude would just die of heart attack instead

Why get rid of him?

I can only see it being impossible if the victim is behind too much stuff to be hit without requiring a bigger impact that would catch other people and thus break the DN rules. The actual nature of the death itself shouldn't be a problem, as it is something that can and has killed a person before, in basically anywhere in the world

>Make them (figuratively) kill as many criminals possible and lay down all their crimes and accomplices before the law.

Is there any death in DN that manipulated nature to that extent though? With the convenient timing of getting hit by a car one can assume that the driver is, to some extent, also being manipulated by the Death Note to make the accident happen, but with a meteorite we're talking about a piece of rock in space being pulled by the Earth's gravity in such a way that it would land precisely on the person the death note marked for death, seems a bit too extraordinary even for the death note

Are you retarded?

People already thought it was a godlike figure since they were just falling dead from heart attacks.
The only reason L looked for the people investigated by Ray Penber was because of the way he died, and the fact that his fiance who was in no way connected died as well. If Ray Penber just keeled over from the heart attack I doubt L would have suspected Light, but since the camera footage showed him struggling to look into the train made it far more suspicious.

Being born into the same reality as ultra do everything perfectly right boy

Even if Penber died more discretly L would probably still come to the conclusion that he was vital to the whole FBI squad getting wiped, the file he was carrying going missing precisely before his (and the whole FBI squad's) death was more important than he trying to look at Light

I think the reason Lind L Taylor is pointed out as a mistake so often isn't because it was the biggest thing that got him caught, but because it's the point where Light loses any ability to pretend he actually is morally justified

Is Death Note one of the greatest animus ever or just one of the easiest to analyze?

Unpopular opinion time. While L might have been the author's original intended final boss, (and was indeed a fantastically cool character) Near was actually the best way possible to end the series. It proved that in the end it was a combination of L and Light's philosophies that was the strongest. The reveal that Near won because he was using to use the Deathnote himself, the one thing L would never consider and Light would never suspect, was pure kino writing.

Why not both?

Genuinely great. In fact I would go as far as to say that had Death Note stayed away from a few of the typical Shounen cliches that were included and taken itself just a HINT more seriously (and written as a pure illustrated novel) it could be up there with some of the greatest works of all time.

'cause time skip taints a lot of its greatness

What's wrong with post time-skip DN?

"No!"

It really didn't cost Light that much. He got narrowed down from all of Japan to a 3rd of it. That's still millions of people and he would have never been caught if he smartened up after that and realizing he was fighting against an intelligent threat. On the other hand, if it was the real leader of the investigation he kills, then he kills his biggest opponent and puts the fear of god into the world and essentially wins right there. In the end he gained a lot of information about his opponent without too high of a cost.

It isn't clever anymore and relies on some pretty over the top stuff like Mello's terrorist organization having so much influence it can willingly make a veteran pilot throw his entire career into the trash for a simple job, Near having a henchman capable of performing a ridiculous task because he's simply good like that, Mikami going dumbass and so on
It became a string of stuff happening, which for the most part wasn't very compeling, and no longer a battle of wits between two great minds, though calling Light a great mind post timeskip would be giving him too much credit

I think the episodes before the time skip are so good that they can't be tarnished.

It's a bit like Game of Thrones. It has been going downhill since overtaking the source material, but even if it gets worse it will still be one of the greatest tv shows of all time.

Very good points. Thanks for that.
It having over the top stuff wasn't something I thought about, but goes a long way to explaining why it wasn't as good.

For me. Near and Mello were such horrible characters that I was 100% rooting for Light. Whereas against L (alive) I genuinely couldn't have picked a side.

Why did Game of Thrones go downhill?

>"I need a death row inmate with a prominent L in his name that speaks fluent Japanese and can act. Thanks."

>For me. Near and Mello were such horrible characters

What's wrong with them?

Part 1 has this huge momentum and build up that mostly logically follows itself as Light is exposed more and more and forced into a smaller and smaller corner perfectly culminating in the final confrontation where only 1 of Light and L can live. Part 2 retreads much of the same ground while also diffusing the previous characters across multiple characters, spreading their characterizations too thin. Multiple Misas, multiple Ls, multiple organizations - each one is now less than the sum of their parts. And lets look at how each one ends: Both end with a shinigami writing the character's name in the book, but Part 1 ends with a conversation between Light and L that reflects on their relationship. While Part 2 ends with a dumb shootout in a warehouse.

What are anime/manga that are just as good as Death Note?

You'll have to look at different genres to find something of similar quality. I can't think of many other anime that has a similar breakneck pacing along with quality writing.

This is probably bait, but imo:

Attack on Titan
Full Metal
Steins Gate
Berserk

Nothing really gives the same sort of thrill as Death Note. Code Geass is probably as close as you'll get. Also the American TV series Dexter seasons 1-4.

Monster?

his problem was just killing people gung ho
he

Haven't watched it, nor Hunter X Hunter and LotGH. I'm sure they're all top tier.

Also I'd add Erased/Boku dake ga Inai Machi. That anime gave me chills.

>What was Light's biggest fuck up?

Not waiting until the Big Zam was mass produced.

>Attack on Titan

It has a similar drop in quality after a timeskip. Once the mystery of the Titans is revealed the show becomes flashback hell. Had to drop that manga.

Laziness? The best decision of GRRM was to announce that the next book will come out on day x in the last book he brought out.

Then the schedule slipped and he gets pissed if anyone asks him about it. (Or asks him, why he has time to do all that other stuff.)

I am too much of a brainlet to fully appreciate this

Not hard to understand.

e.g. What binary number can be used to represent 7billion vs 127million japanese

log(7billion)/log(2) < 33 bits
log(127million)/log(2) < 27 bits
(So by only operating in Japanese Timezones prominent waking times he "lost" 6 bits from the top of the number. (Actually lost 98% of the population as possible killers. The top bit in a dual number contains as many people as if all the bits to the right where used in all possible combinations.))

It ran out of source material to copy and made too many changes to the source material that was left e.g. Dorne.

Fate Zero?

What if it was an American with severe insomnia?

He addresses that.

An American with severe insomnia that only watches obscure television channels from Kanto!

I'm not understanding this math
Isn't there a way to do this with normal stats and combinatorics and whatnot?

1. Ran out of source material
2. Dumbed down what source material they had (e.g. Sansa is still in the Vale pretending to be Littlefinger's bastard daughter in the books, and her friend, Jeyne Poole, is being presented as "Arya Stark" and marrying Ramsay) because the audience can't keep up with the characters so they have to just shrink down the cast
3. Turned it into a generic good vs evil story even though that's the polar opposite of what GRRM wants out of his work.

I can't wait to see D&D fuck up a star wars trilogy

>Robert J Smith.. you didn't pay your taxes on time ... Hakai!

Based Bobby Smith giving it to the goverment.

The more disturbing aspect of that essay is how it very much highlights how anonymity is a facade, even to people that use 'anonymous' websites like Sup Forums.

His biggest fuck up was that he couldn't be tried for something that isn't against the law. Even if he were captured they couldn't prove magical superpowers.

His room would be checked, trigger the trap he set for the Death Note, burn his entire house down and then he'd go to jail for arson

>he doesn't know what bluffs/double bluffs are

then he'd kill them all with the page in his watch

Death Note gets stupid when they move into that skyscraper

>made too many changes to the source material that was left e.g. Dorne.

What's wrong with this?

You can but it is less informational since there isn't an appreciable difference in 6 billion vs 200 million suspects in terms of raw numbers, but putting it his way shows easily how much it is being narrowed down.

L was going to test out the Death Note right before he was killed. The whole reason that Rem killed him was because she knew that if he did learn to use the Death Note effectively, he'd realize that the bullshit rules that Ryuk wrote in the back cover were fake and any reason to clear Misa would disappear. I don't really buy that Near did anything that L wouldn't have eventually also done. Though I will say that Mello helped move things along.

Idk, there's something about Near that just isn't L enough. I think L was less of a robot, he had more soul.

>dumbed down dialog and story
Compare season 1 archaic dialog to the much more modern sound of the newer seasons
>victims of their own success
All of the good supporting actors are removed because the main cast of young inexperience actors demand bigger salaries
>poor showrunners exposed as they ran out of book material
Part of it was already touched on with the dumbing down of the previously complex plot, but the shittiness of D+D are continuously exposed in interviews and behind the scenes stuff. They care more about highlighting actors they like than telling the best story, but the way they highlight these actors is actually a detriment also to the acting of the show as they create these scenes to make the actors emote rather than act. All the bad shit that happens to Stannis? It is written that way because D+D like that grumpy look on his face and want to repeat it as often as they can.

>not just using the death note to kill high powered jews in embarrassing ways

>the shittiness of D+D are continuously exposed in interviews and behind the scenes stuff.

Explain

>Light's biggest mistake

Arianne and Quentyn's plots were completely removed. What was supposed to be brought up as a new house for people to cheer for (just like people cheered for the Baratheons, the Starks, the Lannisters, or Dany in the first few seasons) they got turned into this fucked up plot that made zero sense and ended up getting lumped onto Team Dany at the end. And then they didn't do anything with the Sand Snakes. They didn't send any of them to Old Town. In the books they're these talented bastards of Oberyn that are all working together around the world to forward Dorne's position, behind the scenes. In the show they're just sassy latina bitches who die after killing their Uncle for no apparent reason. They also fucked up the other house that was later expanded upon, house Greyjoy, in much the same way.

what shitty scans, the art wasn't that bad.

They are man children with no taste who only wanted to do the show because the Red Wedding was super cool man. My Stannis stuff is just an example of how they try to direct scenes, but it applies to most other characters. They just have a shallow understanding of storytelling and only want to make superficially cool scenes with as much nonverbal acting as possible because they think it is more artisitc.

Just off the top of my head there's that "Inside the Episode" when they talk about Arya and what it meant for her to abandon Needle. D&D think she only sees it as a method to kill people and attain revenge, when the genuine reason she cares about Needle is because it was a gift from her brother and the only thing still tying her to Winterfell and her existence as a Stark. They have a complete disconnect with what the books show and tell us about the characters and their actions.

How do they get away with this?

That shit still one of the best anime scenes I've ever seen. Chills everytime.

youtube.com/watch?v=wxesJY-u4Hg

how'd they get away with THIS?

DN truly is one of the best anime of all time. Such a shame it's one of a kind and not some standard.

L's death was a mistake.

Yeah, DN was pretty good even in comparison to today's anime. But you know, is right. First time I watched it, I just speedwatched it on 2x because it was just so fucking boring without L.

That whole episode is great. Only DN can make 2 people walking down the street into a tense mile a minute action scene

What's wrong with today's anime?

Death Note only manipulates people. It can't make a meteor fall from the sky and land on a person.

The Death Note works by killing an individual whose face and name the killer knows. He can make that victim do whatever he wants so long as it leads to their deaths (or if it doesn't, then they'll just die via heart attack). But he can't control a meteorite.

Then make it something something that’s more grounded, but still impressive, spontaneous combustion.

I've heard the anime was supposed to end at that point, that's why it goes downhill after.

That's not how sword fighting works.
That's not how physics works.
That's not how ANY of this works.

it's even funnier because they're sparring with real weapons in Winterfell in spite of Ned make a huge deal in the first episode of the first season about NOT sparring with steel blades.

Not owning a computer with an internet connection.

>D&D being able to have a consistent internal logic

That is like Araki remembering to draw DIO's ear moles.

What are D&D's biggest crimes?

When does the show go downhill?

Why isn't the next book out yet?

>yet
It'll never be out, user. Just give up. Same thing for the Kingkiller Chronicles. Both authors are hacks.