One Piece

This is the best bromance in One Piece.
Prove me wrong
You can't

a really shitty ending to an otherwise good fight. Oda is a hack

I secretly wanted Luffy to lose too but it wasn't a shitty ending. They parted ways with respect for one another and Luffy looked genuinely shocked he actually won.
How would you have wanted it to end? Luffy loses and the rest of the Strawhats gets captured/killed cause he never shows up?

But Luffy did LOSE.

Elaborate please.

Oda cant write fights for shit. Muh stamina is not good writing. He literally won through losing cause he somehow (insert Oda hack comment) kept getting up after all these hours of getting his ass kicked

The art was confusing for me. There was no panel showing the connection. It looked like Luffy didn't even land his final blow. Kata didn't even react to the impact, only falling over like a few pages later.

Every single day until it happens in Wano

went to sleep out of exhaustion

I'll agree with that. The literal HOURS of one sided ass kicking before he pulled out Snakeman was ridiculous. I get that he's rubber but he was getting stomped and just magically had enough strength to beat Kata.
But I honestly don't know how else it could have ended besides Luffy winning.

He dropped first.
Not that user, but he dropped first in a fight that Katakuri was clearly giving him a lot of space in. He never once attacked him whilst he was down, and he could have very easily killed Luffy that way a dozen times. He let the fight turn into a "who can go longer fight" and even ripped his own side off to keep things as even as possible. He was clearly outmatching Luffy in all of their clashes, but he obviously wanted to win less. Luffy had everything riding on this, Kata had basically nothing but rep, which became less important than giving this crazy motherfucker an honorable fight as the duel went on.

So in a heavily self hampered fight Kata still made Luffy pass out first. It was just after the fight was over he didn't have the will to get back up, whereas Luffy did.

So Luffy lost the fight, but was the only one able to walk away from it. Indomitable will and all that. Kata didn't have to save his buddy and crew, he knew his Nakama would be fucking fine, waaaaay less motivation which in OP means a fucking lot.

Katakuri kept letting him get back up.

Does anyone else hate every Strawhat besides Luffy now?

Has been a thing since Arlong Park. It just doesn't coincidence with nu-Piece.

After that conclussion Oda made me actually hate Luffy as a character

the thing is he got his ass kicked EVEN IN SNAKEMAN. This fight does not make sense. I could get it if he somehow stompted Kata in that form but he got his ass kicked even THERE. Its a level of retarded Oda had never reached before

Hm. I understand this argument but I just can't agree with it.
Katakuri had plenty of motivation to keep going I think. He didn't know his family would be fine. There was an explosion at the wedding, Germa was attacking, Capote betrayed them, Brulee was being threatened, etc, etc.
As (seemingly) the strongest child of his mom's pirate crew, I think he felt responsible for keeping everyone safe. He knew if he lost, and if Luffy and the SH were allowed to run wild again, more of his family and his home could get fucked up.

You don't think Luffy doing Gear 2 & 3 on Moriah in Thriller Bark after being exhausted in Nightmare Luffy form and going all out on Oars wasn't an asspull?
Or pulling off Jet Gatling on Lucci after taking the Rokuougan point blank wasn't an asspull?
Or being so poisoned from Magellan and literally just willing it away and eating meat wasn't an asspull?

C'mon this shit has been happening for years and will continue to happen since this is a shounen battle manga.

Get over it user it haooened. Luffy is just much tougher than Katakuri.

>its a shounen who cares about the writing
sure he is user. Luffy is the best see

I see where you're coming from but come on dude.
He knew nobody was hurt from the explosion, he knew Germa were no match for his crew because he watch them all get defeated with minimal effort, Capone isn't even worth mentioning in terms of worrying Katakuri.

He knew his crew could take what was being thrown at them, moreover he knew his Yonko captain and powerful older brother and younger sister were dealing with the situation out of the mirror world. The situation was in hand. His contribution was dealing with the lead agitator, which he was happy to do to protect his family.

But once the fight became ABOUT the fight and not what was going on, he opened himself up to the possibility of losing. Luffy was fighting to save everyone, Katakuri was fighting partly out of appreciation for Luffy's grit and partly out of sheer competitiveness. That's why he let Luffy catch his breath more than once and never attacked him whilst he was down, also why he gutted himself but that's a more obvious example.

With all that in mind, Luffy still dropped first, so Kata won their exchange. But when all's said and done, Luffy had a crew to save, Kata knew his crew was at no risk from Luffy's beyond getting embarrassed. He even confirms that Luffy plans to come back and fight them again at a later date before he drops.

Motivation basically IS power in OP, Luffy had the drive to get up one last time, Kata didn't. But Kata had already dropped him.

I honestly think Oda just wanted to have his cake and eat it too. Kata won, but also lost, but Luffy won, but also kind of not. So it was a draw, but also not really.
Fucking grey as fuck ending that's really open to arguments, that crafty fucker.

Solid points. I guess I just got the impression you were implying Katakuri was just going at it half assed. I think he was really giving it his all and having not fought a legitimately strong opponent in years (who would challenge one of the Sweet Commanders openly?) he either might have been a little rusty or maybe just wanted to test himself or just test Luffy and see if his convictions were true.

But I think you're right, it's a very grey ending. It wasn't wholly satisfying to see Luffy win the way he did and it wasn't wholly satisfying to see Katakuri lose the way he did. I just hope he comes back in some way like Crocodile does as a kind of frenemy and we get more of his backstory/motivations.

Agreed, I wasn't wholly satisfied but I appreciate what Oda was going for at any rate.

I hope he gets the Croc treatment too, at the very least we'll see him again when the crew takes on BM for real.

I'm not saying the writing doesn't matter in shounen, I'm just saying this is far from the first time MUH WILLPOWER has been used in One Piece. It's pretty much how Luffy wins all his battles and this isn't really much different.

The only thing I think is different is Luffy didn't land some final mind blowing attack and the enemy passed out, instead he landed an attack, the enemy ate it, got back up, and THEN passed out. It's subtle but it implies Luffy's attack weren't enough to put his enemy down, his enemy just called it quits and was satisfied.

Luffys stamina was turned to the absolute extreme and it ended up failing the story. It doesnt make sense even in the world of One Piece

If Luffy & co. couldn't take on the Big Mom pirates, I wonder how the fuck they're going to tackle a literal immortal being.

This is the first time he really got tested in the New World.
Maybe this fight was to show us, that yes, his enemies got stronger, but also Luffy's willpower & resilience got stronger after 2 years too.
It's the next level of asspull.

>first time he got tested
>Doffy
>Cracker
he went all out against Doffy

Apparently not all out since he never pulled Snakeman

we went over this already. Snakeman isnt stronger than Boundman. Its just faster. Luffy literally relied on the whole island helping him to defeat Doffy

OH

MY

Yea exactly. He had the island backing him for support. This is the first time he had to go all out completely alone in the New World.

RUBBER

>go all out
in what exactly? Stamina? Cause he got beaten even in Snakeman

God usopp still good.

FRUIT

STAMINA

>you can't go all out and still get beat
He went all out in the fight.
Pulled out Snakeman, and yes, he still came out the loser. Katakuri only let him pass because he was satisfied with the results of the match.

now that the dust has settled, who was the best character of the arc? brook? bege? katakuri? gastino?

i just want the animu to be good again
i miss it

Katakuri = Brook > Bege > Gastino

>1 chapter per episode
>toei
its never going to be good again mate

no, i love jinbe

him getting stamina out of nowhere is one thing, and had consequences like him passing out because of so much pain against moria and not being able to move. But against katakuri he got off like it was nothing. and in those other fights they were pretty even, but katakuri outclasses luffy in every way possible and got barely hit by him. you can argue if those other fights had asspulls but im this one is a fact that it had

>first time he HAD to go all out
he only fought katakuro because he wanted, he didnt need to go all out, it wasnt a live or die situation. againts doffy he couldnt run away because of the birdcage, had people getting impaled so he could recover and rebecca almost got killed by doffy as well, and against cracker he fought for even more time than against katakuri amd had no way of beating him. this is the only fight in the whole series tha luffy didnt need to figgt and you want me to belive that this is the one the pushed him to the edge?

this

I love the way people justify to themselves that this fight was either invalid or broken or whatever.
>only fight in the whole series that Luffy didn't need to fight
Have you read the previous chapters? Did you see the threat Katakuri posed to the entire rest of the crew and the Sunny?
He is LITERALLY THE WORST MONSTER PRESENTED TO THE CREW AS A WHOLE.
He makes it on their ship with Brulee's help and was actually about to kill everyone on board.
Luffy recognized this and chose to face him one on one in ANOTHER PLANE OF EXISTENCE just to keep Katakuri away from his crew & ship.

He didn't choose to fight him because he just wanted to on a whim, he chose to fight him because he needed to to keep everyone alive. Open your eyes and read the fucking manga.

I agree with you at first, but Luffy did escape the mirror world with Brulee. He COULD have left Katakuri stuck in there and hid out somewhere at the meeting place until 1. He chose to go back and fight because it was the best opportunity to enhance his haki. Plus, if he's going to continue to survive in the N.W., there will be times in which he ACTUALLY can't run. He has to be able to face guys in Kata's league right now.

He didn't choose to go back and fight him. Re-read chapter 878.
>Katakuri is on their ship
>Luffy takes him into mirror world
>smashes the mirror behind him because Brulee is passed out
>Has literally no other choice but to fight him/hold him off before Brulee wakes up and Katakuri uses her to get back on the Sunny
I'm not nitpicking, that all happens in one chapter.