MTG x Anime

Let's make M/a/gic: The Gathering cards of anime & manga characters etc.

Superior tool: magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
Web tool: mtgcardsmith.com/

How do I get started? Look at existing cards for inspiration. The most common mistake is having too much text/effects or not using the proper MTG grammar. I recommend searching up effects in scryfall and copy pasting them/changing a few values.

Examples of mythics from the latest set for inspiration:
scryfall.com/search?q=b:xln r:m&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name

Also feel free to request cards/provide images for cardification.

Last thread: →

Other urls found in this thread:

scryfall.com/search?q=o:"Counter target spell. You gain"&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

scryfall.com/search?q=o:"Counter target spell. You gain"&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name

tfw card idea was already done before

I stopped playing MtG around Mirrodin block, so I don't remember the usual wording so well.

We must have at least 100 cards already. Could we make a cube and draft it? We could choose 5 franchises and start making commons and uncommons.

we're missing alternate art for basic lands and duel lands, and we could probably use more zaku/commons. but in terms of playability, we have most of the stuff down.

Look up Gather Specimens.

> Gather S̶p̶e̶c̶i̶m̶e̶n̶s̶ Bitches

Posting old stuff, reworked.

Sure, why not.

Looks good. Would feel satisfying to play, especially if they can't exile him.

Coming back as artifact equipment seems like a good set mechanic.

The LAST thing I need is wapanese being into my favorite hobby.

too late

No thanks I'd rather make Yugioh cards instead.

I know. ;_;
>tfw no mtg friends

>totally didn't forget key information

Made this a while back. Figured UB could have fun with this card.

It's far too late for that.

Hmm, I was thinking it could be more like aetherling and just protect itself from dying. She could also receive a buff when she does so. (She got stronger over time)

Oh that's what I did for Madoka for the same reason.

Blue players can probably protect her well enough anyway.

In MSE, you can put :: to create the dot that MTG uses for modal spells.

I decided to make a few.

under your control or their control? Is Pic related the effect you're looking for?

How have I never seen this? It even has morph; it's perfect.

Well, the idea is that she befriends everyone she defeats, so it should be your control.

Mystic Eyes of Death Perception
Sorcery
BBBBB
Randomly assign 4 Death Line Counters to target player's creatures. If target player has no creatures, no Death Line Counters are assigned.

If you deal damage to target opponent this turn and no Death Line Counters remain on the opponent's creatures, you win the game and your opponent loses the game.

A Death Line Counter is removed from a creature if it receives targeted damage.

>you win the game
Should probably not be there, if balanced for MP play

UB generally does not get land destruction, and shuffle into library (Super bounce) Is rare and should never be at that cost. Especially shuffle after, this is essentially removal. Bounce to hand is better, but then just make it Mono-U.

Still, not a bad idea. Counters on each permanent is a little rough, though, and generally WotC has shied away from that, simply due to how fucking hard it is to play with in paper. Imagine having to put a counter on EACH permanent.

A better way to do it would be so that it puts a fate counter on each NEW permanent that enters the battlefield, and then it destroys all permanents WITH fate counters.

>Zombie
Cheeky fucker

>Convoke on a board clear
Interesting, I was expecting target player or target creature (not both).

Hasn't exactly been done before, so it's hard to know how to cost it. Still, 2 mana for an Anger isn't THAT great, especially since most decks that would want to play a card like this are control decks.

It's perfect for a deck that has moderately sized creatures since you can use it to sweep away tokens. Sweltering Suns does it (sorta) and cycles, but this can be more than 3.

Tell me mtg nerds, how broken was original Jace.

Uhh. He seems perfectly fine? Draws you a card or two then draws you both a card. Doesn't really see any play though.

I feel like this is absolutely nuts.
Casting three noncreature spells is honestly pretty easy, considering things like opt/remand/serum visions/brainstorm/etc. The backside is an absolute nightmare to deal with, too, even if the - effects are sub-par. Thotseize that hits lands every turn, with +2 loyalty is insane. Hell, Lili at least lets them choose the card and makes you discard as well.
Control flips this turn three against combo, and drops it turn 4 while holding a counter and then completely takes over the game.

Hour of reckoning exists, but that misses tokens, so it's intended to be one-sided.

Do you mean the character or the card, and if the card, do you mean Beleren or Mind Sculptor?

>The character
Depends on who's writing him. Ranges from little bitch who gets bullied to keikau means plan gary stu.
>Beleren
Meh-tier card, sees some minor play in EDH, but little else.
>Mind Sculptor
Mistake. Took over the meta in two different formats on release. One of the devs is on record saying, when he was banned, "Saying Jace is fine because he doesn't win the game on its own is like saying Black Lotus is fine because it doesn't win the game on its own. Except Jace does."

Yes but Hour is clearly for your token deck as convoke and tokens are BFFs.
He clearly means the character or Beleren. If he thinks mind sculptor is the original, he's just ignorant.

Yeah but my card gets some cool fuckery with oblivion stone.

Plus I figure most people would just separate everything into "fate counter" and "non-fate-counter" piles.

The "shuffle into library" effect seems more thematic than destroying since she's merely delaying threats to a later turn. And if I made her casting/activation cost any more she'd literally be unplayable. She's already a T5 do nothing.

>He clearly means the character or Beleren. If he thinks mind sculptor is the original, he's just ignorant.
Yeah, I figured as much, which is why I brought it up. When people talk about "broken Jace" I usually assume they're referring to JtMS though.

First Jace? Decent in its standard.
Big Daddy JTMS? Broke standard along with Stoneforge Mystic. Then became a Legacy staple due to how good blue decks are in Legacy. Then it got unbanned in modern, and it's like meh. Tap out turn 4 in modern and you're usually either dead or already won.

>Mistake. Took over the meta in two different formats on release. One of the devs is on record saying, when he was banned, "Saying Jace is fine because he doesn't win the game on its own is like saying Black Lotus is fine because it doesn't win the game on its own. Except Jace does."
Aaron Forsyth. Also the guy who decided to unban him. Times change.

>Casting three noncreature spells is honestly pretty easy, considering things like opt/remand/serum visions/brainstorm/etc. The backside is an absolute nightmare to deal with, too, even if the - effects are sub-par. Thotseize that hits lands every turn, with +2 loyalty is insane. Hell, Lili at least lets them choose the card and makes you discard as well.
Forgot to add "Nonland." Without that it is a little too strong.

>Control flips this turn three against combo, and drops it turn 4 while holding a counter and then completely takes over the game.
Unlike Lili, Jace, Gideon, or any other competitively playable Planeswalker, this one can't actually defend herself or the player. Lili can Edict, Gideon can Fog, Jace can Unsummon. It is a bit of a combo killer, but without protection, even if it's good, it's just going to die real fast. +2 is probably a bit much, but any planeswalker, no matter how good they are, that can't fundamentally defend themselves generally see no play.

The only formats I could see it being absurd in is Legacy or something, where you can play gitprobes to accelerate the flip on turn 2 or 3, or use fast mana. Otherwise, it's fairly underwhelming.

The problem isn't that she's weak, it's that she's off color. Shuffle into library isn't really a thing in any color anymore, it's too similar to destruction that WotC has been pulling it wayy back. Also, time magic is typically mono blue. If you want to find some B in her, look elsewhere, like I did with a flipwalker.

>Unlike Lili, Jace, Gideon, or any other competitively playable Planeswalker, this one can't actually defend herself or the player. Lili can Edict, Gideon can Fog, Jace can Unsummon. It is a bit of a combo killer, but without protection, even if it's good, it's just going to die real fast. +2 is probably a bit much, but any planeswalker, no matter how good they are, that can't fundamentally defend themselves generally see no play.

Yeah, you've got a point. Looking at it again, I can see it not really taking off unless you're already ahead. My initial reaction was based mostly on the whole "hitting lands" part of the effect.

I'm not the original guy but I made the card version. I also cleaned up the text and tried to match it to existing cards.

Just made this. OP as fuck. Combination of Force of Will and Demonic Tutor.

>Second effect
"You" will never deal damage. Damage always has a source. So "If a source you control deals damage to that player...".
Magic also tries to use standardized words if possible. "Has" is the one of choice for counters IIRC, rather than "remain" so "and creatures her or she controls have no Death Line counters..."
>3rd effect
Damage is talked about in terms of "dealing" rather than "receiving". So a creature is "dealt damage", it doesn't "receive damage".
I'm not going to attempt to balance that card, since I don't play often enough, but honestly it seems like a card that's incredibly powerful but only in edge cases, and in those edge cases, incredibly anti-fun.

Sorcery and make it two black cards. Then we'll talk.

Idk, you still have to exile a card so you're not just straight up drawing or topdecking a card with no discard like with other tutors. 5 life is also no joke. The instant speed and the fact that it goes directly to your hand is what would make this card. Sorcery and it would be worse than existing options in Vintage.

Better version.

>worse than restricted cards
No fucking shit? You should be aiming for a card that could theoretically see print not Vampiric Tutor.

Someone has been looking at legendary lands.

>Tutor for counters in response to a spell
>Tutor for your combo piece at instant speed with no cost the turn you go off

>5 life is also no joke
>Vintage
>Caring about paying life
>In a format where black lotus and channel are legal

I stopped playing after the Urza block so you'll have to forgive me ;)

What about this?

>illusion

I kek'd

So I wanted to make a card that represents this idea of predicting what your opponent will do next and ruining them for it but also giving the opponent some control over it.

That said, I know the wording on this could be better. If someone could help me out here it would be appreciated.

Enchant creature
When ~ enters the battlefield, name a color. When enchanted creature's controller casts a spell of the chosen color, counter that spell, then destroy enchanted creature.

Or something like that?
I mean it has some fuckery when you enchant an indestructible creature but DESU I'd rather it have edge cases than Yugioh-tier wording.

Thank you, that flows much better.

Valid points. I actually did think that it would be unfun if the card removed from play was never actually seen again.

Removed black and changed the effect but made her cheaper to cast to compensate (not that you'd want to cast her T4 anyway). I'll splash black back in if I make a homucifer counterpart.

Should just put a fate counter on things as an activated ability and then, upon activation shuffle everything that isn't or is marked into the deck.

Alternatively, you could have her work like karn liberated, the planeswalker and reset the game leaving you're troops alone.

If she works like I saw on my japanese animes, she shouldn't get to control what gets to reset.

And with pic related, now EVERYONE can become a magical girl!

Should only hurt bad guys.
I.e. opponents

Probably better worded as something like:
>Enchant a creature and declare a color. If an opponent plays a spell of your declared color, counter that spell and destroy enchanted creature. Exile "Here's What You'll Say Next" at the end of the turn.

Does this card work? Or is it too good/bad?

disregard, I suck dicks. sounds much better.

2nd ability reads "I combo with something," but otherwise seems okay.

Last one for now.

True.

Was going for an enchantment for a Goblins / Wildfire type deck.

Yeah but other people prefer to play card games, not read novels that happen to be printed on cardboard.

Thematically, she's meddling in the past to alter the present.
Hence why certain things don't stay after she jumps.

I could also see the idea behind marking everything as a day one to reset to.
Maybe transforming to witch when she gets too many despair counters or loses all hope counters (additional cost for reset) to keep her from too many resets. Exile on death as a witch?

Don't understand this. 7 mana to regenerate a creature?

But then she'd get too wordy, which half of the cards that ever get posted here are guilty of.

7 mana to basically make it undestroyable. You have to destroy/detach the soul gem instead. Of course, sacrifice and exile still works too. Or are you implying that it's too expensive? I thought the cost was fine given it's an uncommon.

I think the idea is that it can regenerate a creature indefinitely until it's removed from the creature, at which point both are destroyed.

However I don't think the mechanics of Regeneration work that way.

Monkey magic!

Does it stay attached when the creature regenerates? Or would you have to sac it? Not sure how equipment works

Regenerate (The next time this creature would be destroyed this turn, it isn't. Instead tap it, remove all damage from it, and remove it from combat. Pic related has a similar effect, and also has a way to work around it.

I see, in that case you are correct, it should work since the regenerated creature never leaves the field the soul gem should stay attached.

But what happens if a creature gets destroyed again before it can untap (such as by an instant or sorcery). You can't tap it again, so does it just not get destroyed or does it get destroyed because you need to be able to tap it to regenerate it?

This is why they stopped doing regeneration, but it still works. It always works unless something says it can't be regenerated.

If it would get destroyed again, the replacement effect of Regenerate triggers once again. So:

1. It's not destroyed
2. Tap it (tap creatures can be tapped, it does nothing)
3. Remove all damage from it (again)
4. Remove it from combat (no effect if it was already previously removed from combat)

At least that's how I see it, but if someone more knowledgeable knows how this works, please chime in.

Yes, this is correct.

Well functionally isn't Regeneration basically the same as Indestructible anyway (except maybe a little bit better even).

More or less except regenerate removes the creature from combat which makes it worse in a few situations.

Flavor win too since everyone contributes their energy to the spirit bomb. But it would have to be something like complicated like doesn't untap next turn and only damages opponent's creatures

>too wordy
Dammit you're right.
But I'm a sucker for thematics.

It could be done a bit less wordy but I'm no good.
Creatures with 2 or 3 abilities aren't unheard of.

Homu ETB with 3 hope counters.
When homu ETB put a fate counter on all permanents.

Mana, remove a hope counter, tap:
Shuffle all permanents without fate counters into they're owners libraries.

At the beginning of your end step transform homu if it has no hope counters.

Hence why I used regeneration instead: magical girls still need to "heal" after big hits, after all. But I was unaware that they're no longer doing regeneration, so I guess I just showed my age.

To be fair the current development team needs to be taken out back and blasted a few times with a 12gauge, but I agree with them on this one (though it's probably a rules committee thing and not a development thing).

This is super fucking balanced and a great card.

I think WotC tries to shy away from using two differently-named counters on one permanent (okay guys, pennies will be hope counters, these dice will be fate counters). This card seems similar to what you're going for though.

It's just too hard to fit everything thematic about a character into one or two lines, so I just focused on the most integral part of her character.

Yeah that sounds reasonable.

This is fucking great.