3-gatsu

Did this flop really hard? It feels like the western fanbase is non-existent

I don't understand why it isn't more popular

It didn't air for 3 weeks due to Olympics
It's a future classic, don't lose hope

No, it airs on NHK and has a high selling manga
Very few people care for it on Sup Forums though, but what did you expect from a place where Franxx is the most popular anime this season

Even if franxx isnt as good as gatsu it provides something to talk about on forums.

It's utterly boring shit

It's good. The latest season is doing a good job with its characters

Why?

Fuck if I know, I didn't write it

no it just doesnt air for 3 weeks because of olympics. And besides, its an NHK show. It will never flop

No, it's really good. An absolute future classic. But it's a serious show. There's nothing to even shitpost about.

But why's it boring for you?

fuck off

fuck off

this. Its basically an east asian telenovela. Hell the 1st season even took second place at jap tv anime ratings just behind IBO

It produces no shitposting material worth noting.

Even if you check out the torrents, the activity is incredibly low for a recent aired series

I have been watching it and have liked the show.

Because it's very boring and VERY angsty.

>has less torrents
maybe that's the reason why it wont flop?

My point is that people in the west simply aren't watching it

Seemingly.

Difficult to shitpost and argue about which cute old man is best, and not enough anons know the strats of tombstone chess

I don't know about that since I don't torrent it. I'd think that would make it less of a flop then though? But I don't know how it's doing. Both the show and the manga is really, really good.

No, check MAL stats, it's pretty high there.

Because it's one third the MC feeling sorry for himself, one third the girl characters talking about food or whatever, and one third decent characters and events

I watched some 30 episodes and the only parts I'd say were worth watching were the episodes with the guy from the wintry town and the one with the bald pidgeon guy

>Difficult to shitpost
People would find a way if they were watching it

Then why is the fanwiki completely desolate? Why are the OSTs not selling?

Slow progress, not enough material to discuss. I really love it though.

>m-muh fanwiki!
Really, this is your argument?

You do know that the nips are the ones that buy the BDs, not westerners. Just because something isn't widely popular outside of japan doesn't mean that it's flopping.

>MC feeling sorry for himself
Eventually he really gets his shit together (well, even more together since he's basically already rich and successful) and turns into a real cool guy.

Nobody cares about whether the West enjoy it or not. The less the West enjoy it, the better.

>implying you need to watch a series to shitpost about it

This is why the worst people can do is "it's boring"

My point is that, no matter where you look, there is zero evidence of a western fanbase

Good

>I don't understand why it isn't more popular
Because people don't understand Chinese chess.

Zero evidence of a fanbase that cares about updating a fan wiki. I most certainly don't care about that. I just hope it does well in the country/countries where it matters. That's all I care about.

>no matter where you look, there is zero evidence of a western fanbase

The man literally told you a place where it was popular.

MAL and Reddit are loving this series right now and
>no western fanbase = flop
3-gatsu is incredibly favored in the industry right now

I never asserted that it was flopping. My question in the op was whether or not it was flopping.

I'm grateful for people's answers

It's favoured where it matters
For popularity in the West, it's way too slow and boring for the average anime fan

I love the manga and tried watching it, but the voice actor of the fat guy is incredibly annoying. I also dislike the little sound effects they use in the "funny" scenes. I do want to give it another try though.

Yeah the went too overboard with the comedy, it's better in the comic format.

>I also dislike the little sound effects they use in the "funny" scenes.
>Yeah the went too overboard with the comedy, it's better in the comic format.
Meh, there's so few of them. I don't think it's anything to get worked up about.

It's good, but it seems at times to be more about people reflecting on shogi than actually playing it.

>Meh, there's so few of them. I don't think it's anything to get worked up about.
Maybe they stop overusing them,but the first five or so episode had so much of that shit i dropped the show.

The "comedy" in the first episode pissed me off, felt really stiff and forced

Uh, let's start.

First, like some anons already stated here, it's hugely popular in Japan, the anime gets even some reruns here and there. Yes, the sales are flop tier, but since it airs on public TV (NHK General) and reaches such a wide audience (a lot of them normal people who are not that much into anime), sales doesn't matter.

Now, why it isn't popular in the west is very simple. While it could be a huge blast in, say, a telenovela, dorama, or whatever format, inside anime it's very niche. It has a big visibility to the actual target audience in Japan, but here in the west, it's not the case. Here it's like any other "cartoon".
I bet westerners would probably love it as a classic if it was a book or some other format that the people who like this kind of stuff consumes.

Huh, I don't even remember the comedic scenes anymore after watching all of it. You're probably right though, the beginning just must of have had more of those scenes.

The artstyle is really gay and I'm waiting for all episodes to be out before starting season 2 since the first one was already slow as molasses.

>When I first thought of using shogi, I wanted to do something like ‘Game Center Arashi’ with characters flying upside down whilst moving pieces with their teeth. But as I was setting up the framework for the story, there weren’t any places I could write it in this way. I couldn’t joke around with it, so it felt like a bit of a waste. I really wanted characters to shout out the name of their techniques and such, but as I researched more I realised that I shouldn’t really be doing this, so I was a bit disappointed.

>The series is set in Tokyo, following the everyday life of a 17-year-old shōgi player

Dropped

So,how do you know what happens from that description. They are often incredibly misleading.

Just like Fafner!
It doesn't make it a flop.

When I started watching it, I couldn't care less for the comedy. It was kind of annoying here and there, but I'm not that much sensitive. Dunno, the anime took quite a while to grow in me, but once it did, everything turned out to be great. Some episodes are funny as hell, I'm having a better time with comedy now than watching actual comedy shows.
These sound effects were also used in the third season of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, they were kind of annoying there, but they slowed down by the end. I don't particularly like them, but I think they fit most scenes in the anime.
You don't say?
Your average anime viewer's mindset

>having a big Western fanbase
This isn't necessarily a good thing nor is it an indicator of a show flopping

Your right. Good shows often get completely ignored by the western fanbase.

>show about japanese chess

i wonder why

>Now, why it isn't popular in the west is very simple.
Your entire post failed to explain this. The reason it’s not popular is because people aren’t interested in shogi or know enough about it to become invested in the series, like why no one in the US cares about Rugby and Cricket despite them being enormously popular sports on the other side of the planet.

>flop
huge selling manga
Have 2 long seasons on NHK

sure faggot

The show isn't about shogi though.

Which people don’t realize unless they read the manga.

Fair enough.

Op is wondering why it's not pop on Sup Forums
And the answer is it doesn't provide much to talk about each week.

I even saw a special "3 gatsu" fan cafe in Japan, it's hugely popular in the country. And nobody really cares if it's popular in the West or not

It’s a nice show, but a little too slow a burn. I can take it, I can enjoy the pace but I know many wouldn’t tolerate it.

I watched the first season and vaguely remember the family moments being great and everything involving shogi boring.

>The artstyle is really gay
I really love her artstyle. It's probably my favorite style ever. It's so cute and nice and soft to look at, as well as very expressive.

Ehhh, I think it's also fairly obvious in the show that the shogi is a backdrop for other things.

'Im used to it by now since its been going for ages but I was bothered by the mouths at the start of the series.

>one third the MC feeling sorry for himself
That ended for the most part a while ago. Considering his past and how old he is, he is doing remarkably well

>Did this flop really hard? It feels like the western fanbase is non-existent
I don't understand how these two directly corelate
Yes, and?

It's autumn aots and probably winter too, but there is not much to discuss, really.

I dropped it when it turned out the older sister was a prostitute

Quick reading of the synopsis is enough to realize it's not about shogi but rather a character drama.

no she's not

She's a hostess (I think?) working in a bar owned by her aunt. Not a prostitute. Don't be gross.

t. speedwatcher
You want to know why it isn't popular in the west, OP? Here's why.

We had plenty of discussion on the actual manga when it drops once a year.

The show is super faithful as an adaption so there really isn't much to discuss.

MAL / Reddit has more secondaries. Presumably anyone in the target audience on Sup Forums is already reading the manga.

a bar hostess is not a prostitute. They're more like flight stewardess if you look at it

Yeah, spending time with old men is not a prostitute alright

By that logic, Kiriyama is the biggest ho

That's like saying idols are pure. Ofcourse they are pure to people on the outside, they still fuck their managers and everyone who offers them roles.

Pretty much. This is one of my favorite anime this season but I can understand why it gets little attention on Sup Forums.

It's a great show visually, but I had to drop it because it felt like I've seen everything it had to offer. Maybe if there'd been fewer eps it wouldn't have gotten so boring.

Next volume when?

I fucking loved this week episode

>Did this flop really hard?
stop making threads on Sup Forums and lurk more.

It airs during prime time on NHK. It makes it's money from TV Commercials, and makes SHAFT and ANIPLEX tons of $$ without selling a single DVD or toy/collectible. his anime is in a far different class from "late night" anime which has a much different demographic and profit scheme then "normal" tv. Late night anime depends on DVD and merchandise sales to break even.

So in short, it doesn't need to be popular with westerner or eastern otakus. It made back it's costs before it even aired, and is currently a cash cow for Shaft/Aniplex.

It's not a flop. Since it started Airing the manga sales have blown through the roof; and Per the TV ratings it's one of Japans most watched TV shows, meaning its earned more $$ from commercials then it was expected to make. It's been a huge commercial success. Finally, you should watch it, it's a fantastic anime; and deserves the high reviews it gets from anyone who watches it.

Chances of the third season being announced after the last episode like the second was?

more like a movie, there not enough material for another 22 episodes

That's the only good Shaft show since Madoka

Well hopefully we're at least guaranteed one volume sometime this year.

There is still material for a third season. At the pace the adaption is going, this season is going to end at something like chapter 90.

And there are 145 chapters right now, so at least 55 chapters left to adapt.

Usually a single volume comes out each year between September and November.

Her aunt wouldn't let her whore herself out.

The aunt owns the bar, and won’t let any man get too close to Akari. Hell, Akari couldn’t even catch that Rei liked Hina beyond a familial way. She’s pretty pure.

Do you know what a madam is?

10/10 truly the best criticism.

I don't know how you got that from her working as a fucking hostess. Her aunt even tells the grandpa how much she tries to keep her hostess club clean of degenerates and perverts.

I don't talk about it at all because I don't want to risk getting spoiled.

I think a big part of it is that there's no regular manga release for western fans to keep up with. The scanlator group covering 3gatsu only translates by volume so releases take a while.

It's a fair criticism I think, because the MC really only starts getting his shit together right at the end of the first season if we go by the anime. For better or worse that is pretty slow.

>Chapters 100-113

This was a great arc, Kiriyama is cool as fuck

>because the MC really only starts getting his shit together right at the end of the first season if we go by the anime. For better or worse that is pretty slow
>Main character of a character centric drama reaches some resolution to his character arc at the end of the season
Seems perfectly fine to me