Lain is weird, Mika is phone, lain is wired

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q_d-dRXi05s
youtube.com/watch?v=L79-aKSppRQ
youtu.be/NcSUnilNrcE?t=3m50s
endlessesotericism.wordpress.com/2015/09/22/the-key-to-understanding-serial-experiments-lain/
cjas.org/~leng/o2klain.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=oP8MVKTn3Nw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So ur with ur dad and yur assembling computers wen the navi rings. U anser it n the vioce is "wut r u doing wit my dad?". U tell ur dad n he say "my daughter is stuck in the wired". THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

Alice is sitting in a café and receives a spam message on her phone. What does the spam say? ‘Fulfil the prophecy’. She deletes it.

“It’s reasonable to see the Wired as an upper layer of the real world”

Mika is sitting in a café and receives a message. What does it say? ‘Fulfil the prophecy’. Suddenly, everyone around her is deleted. The whole scene is deleted.

Mika is alone in the bathroom when the lights go out and she loses the ability to receive messages. When the lights come back on she sees a wall full of them.

Mika arrives home, distraught and shuddering. She discovers that she has been replaced by another ‘Mika’. The prophecy has been fulfilled.

The Knights shut down one Mika with something similar to a DDOSS attack and had some involvement with her replacement. We watch as Lain forgets about the old Mika, erasing her from existence. Mika is phones.

If you can hear it, it is speaking to you. And if you can see it, then it is your . . . distortion.

My theory is human Lain was modeled after Mika. There is no reason to believe Mika isn't Yasuo's actual biological daughter, so Eiri based Lain off of her physical appearance to complete the facade that she was Yasuo's daughter, hence the similiar hair styles.

Should I watch this? I like the into song, but I don't like not understanding things.

Watch it and then look for an explanation on the internet

>I don't like understanding things
Collecting the pieces isn't that hard. Just rewatch episodes if you fail to make the connection.

>but I don't like not understanding things
Ehh then honestly you probably shouldn't

Most are incorrect

Mika disappeared.

So who was the phone?

That's because no one can truly understand Lain except me

Mika was hacked, presumably by the knights.

Who are you?

It's probably Lain.

Lain wants to be understood, so Lain can be understood.

Lain's wife

Hello Airisu

Explain this
youtube.com/watch?v=Q_d-dRXi05s

Mika is trapped between the real and wired worlds after "dabbling in the wired like Lain" (confirmed by staff). Because of Taro and the Knights symbol and messages, the Knights had a hand in it.

But HOW?
Also who's talking to lain?

Mika was in the wired, probably in Alice's phone. I can't explain all the bits and pieces, but you have to remember that everything in this show isn't simply some weird "thing", it's either an action of the Knights, one of Lain's personalities or Eiri.

Most people believe this entire sequence was the Knights attempting to hack Mika's body as a means to get someone to spy on Lain because the Men in Black had constant eyes on her.

At this point in the show, you could indeed hack a human being, because the wired and reality were interchangeable. Mika became a phone, and the phone became Mika.

Because the Knights can affect the real world. Remember KIDS?

>Also who's talking to lain?

Eiri

>Mika was in the wired, probably in Alice's phone.
HOW?
Also people believe that from ep 1 to 9 is all fake. False memories knights gave to lain to give her self awareness

>Eiri
He's taking different forms, isnt he?
Also is that the lain of the past? Or the true lain of the wired?

>He's taking different forms, isnt he?

Yes, he talked to her as just a voice before.

>Also is that the lain of the past?

I believe so, because game Lain can age and thus there's reason to believe anime Lain can age as well and has been around for some time. She is notably more childish here, has a smaller, rounder face, and wears different clothes.

>Or the true lain of the wired?

I believe the "true" Lain of the wired is just Lain using the wired. This "personality" literally comes right out of her when she's talking to the Tachibana boss. This is just Lain being more confident. The only time this Lain exists independently of Lain is when she first appears in Cyberia, and this might have just been a fake by the Knights. Lain remembers nothing of this. Any time Lain doesn't remember herself doing something, she didn't do it. There's only one Lain.

>game Lain can age
What does it mean? Are you talking about the anime or the PSX's game?

PSX game. It takes place over the course of 2 or 3 years.

>She is notably more childish here, has a smaller, rounder face, and wears different clothes.
Yeah, i've noticed this too
also from ep 1 to ep2 it seems like there is a time gap. Lain has grown up and developed a personality on the wired

>I believe the "true" Lain of the wired is just Lain using the wired.
At same point lain says something like: There weren't many of myself, but i was in everybody

That leads to the theory that lain is about perception. In the end, she erased herself from her world, but start living in the viewer's mind

Do you have an episode and time for this?

youtube.com/watch?v=L79-aKSppRQ

>How ?
They explain how, Protocol 7. In this iteration of the Wired, the next architecture from protocol 6 developed by Tachibana labs would tap into the "waves" oscillating in earths upper atmosphere thus allowing people to connect to the wired without hardware.

What this means is that instead of an internet ran on computers linked to each other, people would be exchanging information almost psychically. This new wired was basically a noosphere, a hypothetical concept regarding the interconnected sphere of human thought, but real (Much like in the STALKER series).

Eiri was given incite through mysterious means that this protocol would effectively blur the lines between reality and the wired but only if he could hack it. When Lain "came into existence" so to speak, reality and the wired ceased to be separate entities and so a squad of highly intelligent super hackers could now effectively alter reality through Lain.

>Episode 1-9 are fake memories.
That's possible, not also not necessary. Lain as a person is effectively a program created by Eiri, a virus to give a non-sentient link of all thought a sentience of its own. She is the bot-net of the noosphere even though she is also the noosphere herself.
1-9 are trails meant to give this new sentience enlightenment. What Lain believes becomes reality, so the knights had god under their control.

I've seen the guy narrate that, but I'm looking for the exact time and quote in the show

>People only have substance within the memories of others. That’s why there were all kinds of me’s. There weren’t a lot of me’s, I was just inside all sorts of people, that’s all.
>ep 12

youtu.be/NcSUnilNrcE?t=3m50s

she explain that to Taro
he's basically the viewer

Just on a surface reglance, this takes place before Lain rejects Eiri, so she could be talking about what she believes based on his brainwashing.

Can we agree on the fact that Serial Experiments Lain is a [heretical] retelling of a part of the book of revelations?
A false prophet will claim to be the voice of God and attempt to command the world but will be overcome by God.

sauce
>endlessesotericism.wordpress.com/2015/09/22/the-key-to-understanding-serial-experiments-lain/

>People still think Eiri was brainwashing her
Lain is the brainwashing. Lain always existed, but no, she wasn't always a 14 year old Japanese school girl, that was Eiri's design.

Why do you keep spamming this?

>Lain always existed

Yes, and Eiri is trying to make her think that he created her from the beginning and that she only exists in all forms for the purposes of Protocol 7.

i like this theory

What I'm trying to say is "lain" always existed as the noosphere itself. Humanity always had a linked collective sphere of thought.
Eiri gave it the mind of a child modeled as the child of his co-worker, to abuse and manipulate her into fulfilling the purposes of Protocol 7. Give the abstract link to all perception a perception of its own, manipulate that perception into removing arbitrary distinctions from a human perspective, live like immortal gods in a thought-sphere structured like the internet.

It almost worked, by Alice had unknowing become the final attachment to prevent Lain's total ego death. The point is the noosphere, likely because it was a collective of human thought, enjoyed being an individual human and wouldn't surrender itself like Eiri believed it would under his guidance. Why? Because Eiri designed her as a human being meant to suffer in reality, he never planned on someone showing her sympathy in physical form.

I've seen your theory around lately, and I have to say you're starting to convince me. I've long held onto the idea that Lain is natural at her purest. I've always believed that Lain was her world's equivalent of the noosphere that attached itself to the wired on its own non-sentient accord - this happened because the wired was connecting people via a network and her force was attracted to it as a similar network. Then Eiri found her, understood what she was, and made her sentient with a body only to lie and say that he designed her as a program in the first place so she would accept this and do her job. Where your interpretation differs from mine if you're indeed the same person, is that you believe that she's the result of both the noosphere AND actual programming on Eiri's part, correct?

And by actual programming on Eiri's part, I mean outside of giving her a human body.

Yes, I believe Lain as a young Japanese girl is a result of Eiri's programming. The reason is simply because he realized somehow that alterations in the noosphere had an actual affect on reality which was probably determined by the experiments of the doctor who designed KIDS.

His way of doing that was to give the noosphere an ego and slowly destroy it to make reality and the wired become one. Lain also has a slight resemblance to Mika, we assume because they're sisters but it shows that her form was artificially made this way to make her believe she was a part of that family.

I believe the point of the Accelor drug was a representation the wired in relation to the noosphere. The wired is essentially the Accelor of the noosphere, it accelerates the rate in which human thought travels much like how Accelor amplifies the speed of the mind. Lain would thus become a presence on the wired long before she was ever a person. This is why somehow people start to get weirder out at the fact that Lain is just a young girl because they've known her since stepping in the wired. I took this as a sign that she in fact, never existed as a young girl, not even in avatar state, until Eiri programmed that in. I think the implication is that we culturally knew Lain as "god" before the wired but that concept had such a slow process because the state of the noosphere was slow. When the wired existed, it became "lain", who was a different person for every person.

>confirmed by staff
where?

cjas.org/~leng/o2klain.htm

>1-9 are trails meant to give this new sentience enlightenment. What Lain believes becomes reality, so the knights had god under their control.
nice theory

The human body was a consequence. It was only necessary in the beginning. He programmed Lain as a 14 year old member of the Iwakura family so that the noosphere believed it was a human girl. It's like injecting a mind into a mindless entity. Now it could perceive itself as an individual, it had an ego that could be manipulated.

By eroding the new identity of the collective by having her re-connect through The Wired architecture, he could alter reality to behave like it. The world was only the world because each person had their own perception, Lain was just the sum of it all. By giving her a human identity, collective perception could now interpret things in unity which would ultimately change reality.

>ego death
yeah, that is what Crabe said in his video.
so that was Eiri's plan. Manipulate the noosphere (if everybody believe 'x' is real then it must be) through lain.

>child modeled as the child of his co-worker
lain's dad was Eiri co-worker?
why did he betray Eiri?

Yes, there is a picture of them together flashed in the show. They work for the same company that designs protocols for the wired and Navis.

Lain's dad was in on the plan with Eiri, adopting Lain to allow Lain to believe she was human. The reason Mika and Lain's Mom are so cold towards Lain is because she wasn't actually family probably because they were told to since lain wasn't supposed to develop powerful earthly attachments.

Once Lain started becoming interested with The Wired, he was the one to start supplying her with more tech for her Navi. They don't ever show it, but that was obviously how Lain kept getting more and more tech in her room.

Eiri was playing all sides remember, from the boss of the men in black to the Knights. He probably managed to convince Boss that his co-worker was the best way to safegard Lain.
Of course, Lain's father seems very apathetic to it all and at the end admits he loves Lain, because everyone loves Lain.

By giving her a human identity and a human body, collective perception could now interpret things in unity which would ultimately change reality...
By killing her Ego he has the full power of reality

But how was he able to insert his mind into the noosphere? thanks to the Schumann resonances? everybody could have done that,also chisa?

Chisa walked with Lain at some point, they had a conversation and Chisa then killed herself. I don't know who was responsible, but Chisa was a catalyst and a tag along for Eiri, his first worshiper perhaps.

As for Eiri, he programmed himself into protocol 7 along with Lain's ego. I guess you could say he was a parasite living inside of Lain. If Lain was to make reality his heaven, then he would be God.

I'm pretty much in agreement with all of what you've been saying. Really the only ways the interpretation I've followed differs is:

1. The assumption that there is one Lain and that other Lains shown are either her just being more confident around people/online or the Knights creating fake "holograms" for lack of a better word for various manipulative purposes.

2. Lain was a part of the noosphere that attached itself to the wired when it detected another human to human network (this attachment to the wired is alluded to in episode 13 when Lain is talking to herself). Eiri found that, understood what that was, and gave it sentience and a body for later manipulation. The only intervention on Eiri's part was to give her a body with the understanding that she could be utilized on Earth through either indoctrinating her into following him or making her so miserable that cooperation would be the only way to ensure she could "connect". Your interpretation goes further and instead of assuming off screen science, actually goes into detail about it and asserts that he didn't just claw machine grab something that was in its entirety a natural force and plant it into sentience.

>Eiri designed her as a human being meant to suffer in reality, he never planned on someone showing her sympathy in physical form

This is really important and I'm glad you brought it up, because people don't mention it even with all the content that highlights her suffering and desire to adapt to human faculties (make me mad, make me sad, make me feel alright, pretty much the whole game, solitude and separation from everyone). She's manifested as an introvert with difficulty communicating and auditory/visual hallucinations, and I think that's very important thematically as well as having plot related purpose.

>As for Eiri, he programmed himself into protocol 7 along with Lain's ego. I guess you could say he was a parasite living inside of Lain
i like eveything you say
you are user of culture
glad i met you

>I guess you could say he was a parasite living inside of Lai
youtube.com/watch?v=oP8MVKTn3Nw

>The assumption there is one lain
I don't really have a concrete idea about that. There is definitely a core lain that links the entire noosphere to the mind one person, but it's possible it "leaks" various representations of her based on perception as the eye-guy suggests or perhaps via the manipulation of the Knights.

I think it's best summed up in the very beginning, when Lain is first on the wired and hallucinating various beings. Lain asks the doll to tell her a story, the doll says she can not, because lain knows everything.
Lain actually does have omniscience or at least omniscience of all human thought, but this is made inaccessible by her ego. Evil Lain may just be a slip up of the core Lain's ego, a little spill of her being that had obtained access to knowledge the darker part of her ego found amusing. This may have been the Knights but I'm not sure.

But I also believe that lain naturally develops a more confident personality in the wired because the more she's connected, the further she strays from being a person. It is again, a result of being forced into introversion as a person but expanding outward as a network, represented by confidence.

Notice how Eiri has the same pin-point pupils.

I guess they're indeed sharing the same body.
You can still tell who's talking because Eiri wouldn't share his precious Echo with anyone

When Ehri stops having the echo voice, his pupils are normal as well.

Lain exists of and within all human consciousness, Eiri exists within Lain. It's Lainception.

Yeah, only with the echo voice he's Kami
So, by killing herself (like in the PSX game) Eiri gains full control of her body (=sentience noosphere terminal)