Violet Evergarden

This show is painfully mediocre, the direction and editing are bland and every conflict and twist is so predictable and safe. It doesn't put any effort into developing its episodic drama most of the time, the producers seem to think that just presenting you with a sob premise is enough, 'here's a story of a father that lost her daughter to cancer, now cry'. I also feel like the show itself doesn't trust you enough to catch the few subtleties it has, it always infodumps the themes and internal conflicts a character might have. The awkward, unnatural dialogue has to be one of its main flaws, 'she's only good for killing, and completely useless otherwise, just exploit this orphaned girl as much as you can and dump her in the battlefield when she's no longer of use', a scriptwriter got paid to write this line, how?

All style no substance.

>This show is painfully mediocre, the direction and editing are bland and every conflict and twist is so predictable and safe. It doesn't put any effort into developing its episodic drama most of the time, the producers seem to think that just presenting you with a sob premise is enough
This describes Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho perfectly

Great review, subscribed

The only good thing about it is the animation, the rest is trash

Not trash, just as average as it can be.

Trash is the right word user.
Evergardenshit was written by a team of retards who have no fucking concept of how to tell a story. They do know how to apply a fuckton of filters though. But for the rest, it's trash with a capital T.

Average in the context of anime. Most anime are trash and in turn average within their own bubble.

The bigger problem of that episode was the transition from the previous one.
>ep 6
>People say I'm expressionless.
>So this is loneliness.
>ep 7
>I'm feeling joy, sadness, etc from reading this.
>Pls finish this play; it should end happily.
It was pretty off-putting: it almost felt like two different characters. I mean, I'm okay w/ short timeskips in episodic shows like this but don't skip out character development that significant.

i don't think that's the issue, she's emotional when she directly relates to something. and it's not like we have never seen her cry, she does it in episode 1 during the flashback, and in episode 6 she was already looking pretty sad

>we will never see adaptations of actually good stories concerning war-damaged people trying to fit into society
>this shlock with mary sue protagonist got a green light

My problem is her knowing what those emotions are. If she only knew what loneliness was in ep 6 when she's feeling it since her sepearation w/ the Major, they should've also shown her realizing other emotions, at least basic ones, in other eps since it's part of her journey. Ep 7 would've been better if it was later in the season.

>posts cringeworthy schlock

I didn't post violet evergarden.

The premise for her character is kind of dumb, but I don't think that's an issue with her but with the script. She knows and feels emotions herself, she just doesn't seem to know their literal definition. She feels lonely she just can't link those feelings to the words for some reason, that's when Leon taught her what the word loneliness stood for. Why haven't they sat Violet down and and taught her what love is? Hell, she's been reading novels herself, why doesn't she already know what love is?

If only that little part of her character was gone I think she'd be a much better character.

meant for

Pic unrelated, right?

Without that part of her character she is literally perfect, a textbook mary sue ungodly good at everything she does, so beautiful author spends entire pages describing her appearance, broken in combat and who even has a handsome love interest. It feels more like author's attempt to give her at least some flaw, but it ends up being very superficial and forced.

Nice b8.

I don't think you know what a mary sue is.

She is quite literally a classic definition of the mary sue, user.
They are downplaying some of the shittiest parts of the novel in the adaptation but she still can make Madara Uchiha copypasta blush if we are to describe all her traits.

You definitely have no idea what it is.

You can repeat this 1000 times more but it won't make her less of a mary sue, user.

You repeating she's a mary sue 1000 times doesn't make it true either, my dear brainlet.

Is VEG your first episodic show? Back to rebbit, faggot.

I have already described the traits that make her a textbook example of mary sue multiple posts ago. It's really not my problem you have serious reading comprehension issues, user. But that goes in line with liking a shallow character like Violet.

>Episodic shows are supposed to be bad!

If you mean this post that's not what a mary sue is, and even if that were the case you'd still be wrong. Try a bit harder next time.

She's way too overpowered and still there's not any explanation for her source of strength

Guess Cowboy Bebop is a bad show now.

>can't cook
>can't talk normally
>can't overcome the trauma of her childhood
>can't even understand herself
Ungodly good at everything, everyone.

Instead of trying to defend your special snowflake you can just open a wikipedia article about mary sue and save us both the trouble, user.

Is the show over? Just because it's not explained now doesn't mean it won't be explained later. Seriously people like you should just wait for the show to be over so you can binge watch it.

t. Shounenshitter

She's just some avatar of goddess chuuni shit.

>handsome love interest
The source material is written by a woman.
It's guaranteed that Violet's main guy won't be an ugly piece of shit like you or a generic looking beta self-insert.

Gilbert was also so much better in the novel. In the anime he's just a typical good guy.

>The source material is written by a woman.
Ah, so Violet is a literal self-insert. Of course she won't give a blatant self-insert anyone but the top tier guy as a love interest. This explains everything.

>people shit talking my girl bioretto
>35 posts | 13 posters
Ah. The loud misguided minority strikes again. VEG is a great show and no amount of sperging about it can change that.

OP here, the show has many issues but Violet being a mary sue isn't really one of them.

Not a lot of people have good critical thinking skills, they just see something shinny and like it.

>expressionless characters don't feel emotions
>forget episode 1, she didn't feel emotions lol
Fuck this is retarded, what a garbage thread created to beg for replies.

Stop sounding like an insecure betafag.
Violet is too emotionally unstable for your average girl to self-insert and her love interest wasn't even present for the most part of the story aside from flashbacks.

So, is it explained in the novel and is going to be in the anime too?
But still her level of power, especially in the flashback episodes(when she's a child), is too high. Unless she's some kind of cyborg there really can't be any other reason to explain this.

>OP here, the show has many issues but Violet being a mary sue isn't really one of them.
Quite the contrary, i think that she is the biggest flaw of the entire show. It's the same as trying to read any kind of fanfiction written by 15 years olds about their demigod special snowflake devoid of any kind of substantial flaws aside from some forced overly dramatic issue that only exists for the author to wank on his special snowflake better.

I mean, Kyoani are trying to downplay some aspects in the adaptation. There's no sign of Witchcraft so far. But you can't do much with a shitty source material unless you're willing to fully re-write it.

>emotionally unstable for your average girl to self-insert
"Average girls" won't read LNs or watch the anime. Someone with serious social issues will, and she's perfect for them to self-insert into.

I think not being able to empathize with others and being emotionally dependent on one person are substantial enough flaws in her character for the term mary sue to be thrown out the window.

user-kun what the fuck

Try to read some of the posts, user.

>wahhhhh hyouka is so boring
>in retrospect it's a masterpiece

Repeat ad infinitum for every show KyoAni does that isn't moeblobs or action/fantasy.

Pls read the chain, I expressed my dissatisfactions here

>"Average girls" won't read LNs or watch the anime. Someone with serious social issues will, and she's perfect for them to self-insert into.
Except the most successful anime for women are otome adaptations with outgoing MCs.

Hyoka was 2 cour, VEG is about to end and very little has happened.

>The source material is written by a woman.

Well that confirms it. The story was indeed written by a retard.

Hyouka is still boring.

She's a character that comes to understanding emotions by
1. self-inserting
2. being told by others what she feels
3. feeling it

Gee I wonder why she managed to express herself when she was self-inserting as the protag of Oscar's story after she had already smiled, cried and felt lonely.
You fucking idiot.

this post is like, very very smart.

>they should've also shown her realizing other emotions
They did but it wasn't as blatant as in episode 7, with Iris for example, while she was telling her about her past, Violet started wondering if what Iris felt was the same with Gilbert.

I'd rather self insert as fucking Tomoko than Violet.

These character designs also make sense now.
You need to have a mentality of 15 years old fanfic writer to introduce a character with heterochromia in this day and age.

Scraping the bottom for criticism, girly.

>self-inserting
She could only feel them but not understand them prior to that.
>feeling it
Not until later, when she has matured enough which wasn't the case even after ep 6.

Oh yes she could, she doesn't need to tell anybody that she's happy or sad after we've seen her happy and sad more than once. Or at least she doesn't need to tell functional people that kind of stuff.
It's something so natural that a side character brings up how sad she looks at the beginning of episode 6, prompting her to make a fake smile with her hands.
Again, she understands these basic emotions very well.

Her problem is with something more complex like loneliness, an emotion that often requires love accompanying it, which she feels a lot but doesn't really understand but it's being dealt with right now.
Are you baiting or something? I'll forgive you if it's bait.

That doesn't mean she understands them. In ep 6 for example, she literally only understood she was lonely when someone told her that she was. It's impossible that she wasn't lonely at all prior to that moment such that she couldn't express it.
>It's something natural
That's why I said before that they should've showed it.

Don't ignore half of my post, that's just dishonest.
If she can properly respond to a "you look down" comment then she understands it perfectly. You can thank Charlotte and Dietfried in the previous episode for that.

And she did express loneliness multiple times, even Iris of all people realized it after she told her who the major was and what he did.
I thought you were baiting but no, you're being dishonest.

That's what my last line responded to.

I'm not going to start taking pics of every time she expressed loneliness prior to episode 6 if that's what it takes. But of course that's not what it takes and there's no convincing people like you in the first place.
You're still in the wrong place to help your confirmation bias friend.

The only thing she doesn't get is empathy, she knows what feelings are and the plot making her not understand their literal definition is stupid and not in line with how her character has been acting since episode 1. That's why I said remove that bit of her character and the show will be a bit less retarded as a whole.

How different is LN Gilbert compared to his anime counterpart?

Well, the shitposters were right; VEG would make Sup Forums stop functioning. This place is now like America circa 1860 re. Kyoani.

I'm sorry if I my wording was confusing you. The 1st paragraph of this was for the loneliness part. What I meant was that they should've shown her understanding other emotions, like .

She knows what happiness and sadness are, other characters make mention of it and she responds to them. She's also capable of expressing it when she's reading Oscar's script.
Violet is not going to break the 4th wall for your sake, forget it.

Anime Gilbert (so far) is nothing but some guy who felt bad for Violet the first moment he saw her, yet he's stupid enough to agree to take her to the military to perform inhuman tests, her only conflicts (so far) has to do with Violet being used as a child soldier. LN Gilbert started feeling bad for Baioretto more gradually, during testing they realized she only responds to the two brothers, that's why he takes her, he needs to in order for her to not go batshit insane and kill even her own allies, but also because he's afraid if he leaves her in an orphanage or something she might kill innocents, he starts teaching her how to behave to make her more docile and fit better in society, I guess this part was also implied in the anime. Anyway he's no saint in the novel, the anime has depicted him as some good guy who takes her in just because she's being mistreated by his brother.

Bro, LN Gilbert was alreadt having to suppress his own emotions the moment he ordered Violet to kill those people at the training camp.
He felt bad the moment he first saw her, otherwise he would've never accepted her from his brother.

It's just one thread retard. Sup Forums as a whole is fine and barely even acknowledges VEG. Sup Forums stops functioning this season after every episode of Franxx or after the first episode of PTE.

>Sup Forums as a whole is fine
It's everything but fine when the kardashian animu is spammed around here.

is fine when it comes to VEG related content.

Knowing doesn't necessarily mean understanding. Regardless, I just wanted them to highlight those. I guess it's subjective on my part bit I feel that they weren't conveyed enough to show her growth.

Nah, the lack of it is just another indicator of how awful the overall taste of the board has gotten. Thankfully Sup Forums is not the target audience not relevant.

Next episode will make it the #1 of all time in bug land.

Maidragon deserves it more