Pre-2000s Anime Thread

Post some of that good old shit you've been watching lately.

For me personally, listening to City Hunter's OST got me in the mood to pick the series back up.
youtube.com/watch?v=lvzfGXt8Ck4

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KqqOSNYmqY8
dropbox.com/sh/p1j8ssektrsiqs6/1yUOi7ySH1/Little Women - Precursors?lst=#/
youtube.com/watch?v=ysOL_EK_S2U
nyaa.si/user/asckj1
myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=154161&show=1850
youtube.com/watch?v=RQmW-Rylr5c
youtube.com/watch?v=aOwKFaDUSKM
youtube.com/watch?v=KCx92m77Alk
youtube.com/watch?v=iFoJkS0TxD0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Kyou Kara Ore Wa. It's fucking hilarious and has excellent animation and fight choreography. It's reminded me a lot of early Yu Yu Hakusho so far.

I've always wanted to watch City Hunter.

Just watched Cosmos Pink Shock the other day. Terribly dated and somewhat funny. I guiltily liked it but still don't know why youtube algorithm showed this to me.

Starts out pretty great, but gets stale honestly.

Thoughts on these anime that are being subbed right now?
>Gutsy Frog
>Gamba no Bouken
>Yume no Crayon Oukoku

also
>attack no 1
>chibi maruko
>little woman

Wait what, gutsy frog is getting subbed?

I recently watched Shin Cutey Honey, it was a blast. It felt like a genuine love letter to Go Nagai and his fans, and the design work was top notch. Mecha Danbei and all the villains were especially amazing. Shin is probably the best Honey herself has ever looked as well.

I also finally watched the Black Jack movie, and while there were a few points of the plot that felt a bit contrived - it was a really stunning and atmospheric film all around - the animation and art were really top notch, some of Dezaki's best scenes for sure. It felt like a slightly more restrained and polished Golgo 13 in a lot of ways.

Other than that I finished Orguss - I already miss that cast of characters, and I have watched a handful of episodes of Exkaiser, which is decent enough. But I may just watch intermittently since it is already getting stale

Trying to will myself to finish LOTGH. I don't have a problem but I'm not sure if I should start over or pick up from where I left off.

City Hunter was one of my favorite anime and manga series of all time. It was wildly uneven, it became incredibly repetitive towards the end, but I enjoyed every episode. Saeba Ryo was a classic character.

youtube.com/watch?v=KqqOSNYmqY8

Does Crest/Banner of the stars count since it started in 1999 but finished 2005

sure but only the parts that aired in 1999.

I was ~200 episodes into Gintama when I dropped it. Forgot where I was, kept clicking around random episodes. Got fed up and restarted.

Episode 9, here I come!

Gutsy Frog isn't particularly funny as a comedy imho. Neat art.
Gamba is gr8.

I rewatch City hunter and Maison Ikkoku every couple of years.

I love both and I love Ryo's voice actor who also voices Coach Mitaka.

Patlabor (TV) is good.

15 eps into Ashita no Joe 2

I think this is my 3rd or 4th Dezaki series

It owns

I actually thought Shin was better overall than the first adaptation

Shin got more on your face with Nagai cameos near the end when they'd exhausted the aborted main plot lol. Any cash grab isn't always a love letter.

Maison Ikkoku captures some kind of warm 80s zeitgeist that I just haven't been able to get from any other series

It's not like the 70s Nagai shows had that much integrity to begin with. They couldn't even be assed enough to finish them and just move onto the next project.

Yea maison Ikkoku is comfy as shit.
Really made me ponder if it would have been cool to go to university in Japan back in the 80s.

>it doesn't have muh 7 episode story arc

Been somewhat slowly watching through CCS for around the past month. How does this show manage to just make me feel so good as I watch it. I want to protect Sakura's smile.

been watching old racing anime for reasons i dont know

The first adaptation was pretty mediocre, the good episodes were balanced out by the bad ones.

I don't see how adding in more references on the tail end constitutes a cash grab any more than a reboot without the added references would.

Gutsy Frog isn't my thing but I'm gonna keep watching for historical purposes.
Gamba has been great mainly because I love the background art and music. The crew has grown on me though. It's pretty fun.
Chibi Maruko-chan is fun as always. Who doesn't love a cute mouthy grade schooler?
I want to watch Attack No. 1 but I have too much weighty stuff on my computer already. I'll have to wait until I finish one of them first.

Is that some Baribari Densetsu? I really want this to get a proper remaster. Those racing scenes deserve it.

Wasn't Little Women finished already?

One day, I'll be just as badass as Ryo Saeba. Today is not that day, however.

I could never find any torrents of it last time I searched. sWho's actually subbing it?

These are your Devil Hunters. Say something nice about the hemline of their dresses.

It's not getting translated per se, I think, it's getting dubtitles and dual audio treatment, like most WMT, since they were localized massively back in the day. Here's a link I got months ago. As it say, it's work in progress.

dropbox.com/sh/p1j8ssektrsiqs6/1yUOi7ySH1/Little Women - Precursors?lst=#/

Does the Harlock/Leiji shows have to be watched in a chronological order? I want to start with emeraldas because a female space pirate is always cool.

Cool, thanks. The localization completely changes the dialog, but I can understand Jap so this is fine.

I finished alot of shit recently

You're Under Arrest! (TV)

Zeta Gundam

MSG: War in the Pocket

MSG: Stardust Memory

From what I hear, the next entries in these series (ZZ and You're under arrest S2) are bad

should I be worries?

>I want to start with emeraldas because a female space pirate is always cool.
Well, prepare to be disappointed, cause all of the 8 episodes will be focused on that disgusting piece of shit of a brat she met in a pub who should've been exterminated 5min after opening his whore mouth with her only as a secondary character at best. Can't even have the best character in Leiji-verse be the lead in her own fucking show.

It's a cash grab when your anime is repetitive on its own and you need dem guaranteed Nagaifag sales and add more popular characters.

what the hell.
i'm currently downloading ep 1, what a letdown ;_;

The quality looks terribad. Aren't there better rips around?

I guess variety is too much to ask then.

God damn this is so good, what the fuck happened to anime anons

Oh, right, I'm a fucking retard, this is Perfect Blue.

I'm considering giving Ideon a try.
The TV series -> Movie.
Let's see how this goes.

>a show that's all about the varieties of mokkori women doesn't have varieties

>2 christmas episodes
>episode with kaori's sister
>episode with saeko's ex-boyfriend
>episode where kaori's old friend indirectly tricked ryo into falling inlove with kaori

Have fun. If you like Gundam you're pretty much guaranteed to like Ideon.

Finally started HnK. I wasn't expecting to like it so much, in spite of it being extremely episodic. I loved the confrontation between Kenshiro and Shin.

I watched 2 Go Nagai OVAs with friends and it was quite an... experience...
Hanappe Bazooka and Iron Virgin Jun.

You should watch Kekko Kamen too.

Enjoy it while you can before getting to the dull imitation that is Clear Card-hen.

>while there were a few points of the plot that felt a bit contrived
Not just contrived, but downright stupid, especially if you know anything about biology. The doctor vigilante group made me laugh out loud and I couldn't see it as anything but a mindless comedy after that. At least the Black Jack manga had a little bit of grounding in reality by comparison. Dezaki should have let someone else write for him.

>For me personally, listening to City Hunter's OST got me in the mood to pick the series back up.
The OST is just great. I still listen regularly to Angel night, Get Wild, Footsteps, Hold me tight, Want your Love and Without You.

>attack no 1
The OP gives me all the feels
youtube.com/watch?v=ysOL_EK_S2U

I also watched Goddamn a few weeks ago. Kind of meh tbqh.

>all those OVAs that will never get remastered and will perpetually exist in shitty quality

I'm pretty sure someone's doing an actual sub of the japanese and not a dubtitle. nyaa.si/user/asckj1
It's a bit flawed, but I'd rather watch it.

Was Dezaki even the writer for the film?

He's only the director + storyboard guy in the majority of his projects, although it wouldn't surprise me if he wrote the plots for the Golgo movies since they're also extremely dumb.

Is there a name for this type of music? I notice this style is really reminiscent of post-war Japan.

This is a cool thread I found that updates every time an old show gets subbed: myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=154161&show=1850
In before
>MAL
I know, but this is the best resource I've found for finding out what old shit is getting new subs that isn't just going through page and page of nyaa and having to sort through a million newer shows.

Will always love it
youtube.com/watch?v=RQmW-Rylr5c

>MAL

He shares a screenplay credit with Eto Mori.
I'm not sure how much of the OVAs were written by him, but they were decent, probably because they took some inspiration from the manga. The movie on the other hand had the writing of a low-budget cable TV movie and was disappointing to watch as a BJ fan, no matter how polished the visuals looked.

Me too user. Really can't find girls like this anymore.

youtube.com/watch?v=aOwKFaDUSKM
Holy shit, this trailer is gold.

This i probably a stupid question, but with City Hunter, can you watch only one season and get the same experience? I want to watch it, but I don't want to go through multiple seasons of episodic stuff at once at the moment.

You have to watch ZZ at this point. You can't just skip out on it, especially considering that you get to watch CCA after it. The start of ZZ is just a little bit fun, so don't go into it expecting Zeta immediately. It does pick up as soon as the latter half drops though.

Nothing about ZZ is really necessary though.

Unless you're just binge watching for >muh 10 episode story-arcs like a fucking newfag, you're gonna miss out on a lot of character exploitations, specially with kaori.

>character exploitations
Lewd

Only the first two seasons are worth watching anyway. That's still 114 episodes, tho.

ZZ is only necessary if you're going to watch Unicorn. Which you should.

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water has been better than I thought it would be.

fucking toddlercon

ZZ is flawed but it isn't horrible. I don't regret watching it. You don't have to watch it before CCA, but CCA is worse.

just finished LOTGH, not sure what to do now

Can you blame him?

It's at least more 60% more awesome with Footsteps playing in the background
youtube.com/watch?v=KCx92m77Alk

Finally finished Ashita no Joe 2. I enjoyed it, but I feel like some of the plot points being repeated got a bit tedious.

Just starting Ace o Nerae. Am I supposed to fall in love with Hiromi?

>Am I supposed to fall in love with Hiromi?
otowa!

yes

I'm embarrased to say it, but I'm imaging what he looks like naked.

>what he looks like naked
absolutely ripped
youtube.com/watch?v=iFoJkS0TxD0

this

Decided to rewatch it because it got me into Mecha and crazy women.
It's not as good as I had it in mind.

Just started the '79 version of Cyborg 009. Pretty hype so far. Also, have a bonus cosplay pic.

>when you have no white friends to play a darker character

This is not what i wanted to post

Black*

There's nothing weird or wrong with wanting to better understand perfection user.

I hate you so much, you just took up my day.

>not sure what to do now
Watch actually good anime

feels bad man

I'm planning on starting Patlabor soon albeit I watched the movies years ago. I'm supposed to watch it in the order of OVAs > TV > Movies, right?

Now that I'm diamonds and leaking like the Titanic, got any good yaoi of him?

Epic dig, bro. You're so witty. Please, start a blog so I can hear your awesome insights.

I'm not sure. I just jumped in to patlabor. On episode 21. No complaints so far.