Kill La Kill v Gurren Lagann

Which is better and why do you think so? I've always thought Kill La Kill is a much better show however I seem to be in the minority. Please enlighten me.

I just started watching Kill La Kill and it seems that Gurren Lagann has more heart and its inspirational. KLK looks like fights for the sake of it.
Both are fun doe.

Two of the worst shows I've ever watched, but clearly GL is much worse.
It almost has a supernaturally bad quality to it, I'm not sure it would be possible to imitate such levels of mediocrity if you tried.

Gurren Lagann is one of the best anime I’ve ever seen. Nothing else I’ve watched since has been as good.

I dropped KLK on like episode 3.

They're both great.

I enjoyed KLK much more mainly because it had a better cast, while TTGL's cast was mostly forgettable (deny it all you want, I doubt anyone remembers the names of secondary characters other than Kittan) TTGL has better production values, clearer themes and story progression, but KLK is much more fun.

If I have to decide between seeing more of TTGL vs. more of KLK, I'd pick KLK.

>spiral energy will still destroy universe
>life fibers are still swimming around
>both shows end before larger plots can be resolved
Disappointing desu

KLK. Those couple of episodes after Kamina died and Simon was a crying sissy were painful to watch.

They're pretty simmilar. I persoanlly enjoy KlK a lot more than TTGL.

>An honest to god fun show in which every single frame reeks of so much testosterone and macho bravado it'd leave Schwarzenneger's jaw dropped and salivating.
>or a crappy trainwreck about combat strippers that tries to find some deep meaning in nudism.
Well gee, sure is a damn hard choice.

I've watched KLK fully and got halfway through GL. The fights in GL felt a lot more pointless than the ones in KLK imo.

which one is which?

>KLK. Those couple of episodes after Kamina died and Simon was a crying sissy were painful to watch.
Well, you can like whatever you want, but how is that worse than Ryuko's "REEEEEE, I'm not a human!" edgy shit?

I did this with KLK, Death note and Cowboy Bebop. These are now three of my favorite shows. The three episode rule doesn't work. I've invested my time to watch half a series of GL and I still don't find any or see any appeal in the series.

It was hilarious, though.

Look it's simple

Guren Lagan just as the better and more appealing message grounded in judeo-christian ideas of overcoming your suffering and taking on the world and growing as a person/society.

Meanwhile KLK has a shitty freedom of expression made by some neo-marxist that could only appeal to kiddies wanting to rebel against their parents.

Guren Lagan is just better.

It's great seeing KLK haters proving they just didn't get it.

>grounded in judeo-christian ideas
>what is confucianism
>what is Buddhism
>what is Karma
Retard

Can someone remind what that bit in the middle of KLK was about? The part with them fighting all the different schools.

Then why am I prefering KlK to TTGL?

Get the fuck out of Sup Forums

Satsuki tried to expand her influence. Probably to fight mom.

Isn't Yoko supposed to be about the same age as Ryuko and Mako? I don't think she's that much of a giant.
Also Kamina should be smiling.

Gurren Lagann by a fucking mile, better character designs, visual direction, sakuga, music, voice acting, atmosphere, world design, plot, pacing/structure, drama/tension, themes and hotblood.

Klk is such a janky, unpolished shitshow that looks absolutely disgusting and fails to create a single character I give a fuck about.

>Guren Lagan just as the better and more appealing message grounded in judeo-christian ideas of overcoming your suffering and taking on the world and growing as a person/society.
GL does draw a parallel with Christianity because it deifies someone with questionable ideals who didn't do much at all.
In that way Simon is an apostle, praising Kamina everywhere he goes and trying to imitate him in almost homo-erotic fashion while always feeling inadequate in the process.

You're wrong on so many levels, i don't even know where to start

Ryuuko - 17
Yoko - 14

I'm not joking.

This.
What a retard.

You're just wrong though

I-I can't even!

KLK is very obviously a mediocre attempt at aping past success without the safety net of experienced production crew from their Gainax days.

The show was unfocused and really REALLY ugly.

Gurren Lagann has more generally applicable themes, while KLK is a little bit more out there and abstract. If I had to pick, though? Gurren Lagann

>really REALLY ugly
The animation and designs were among the best I've seen and definitely better than the one's in TTGL (excluding mecha designs).

Can anyone give me an anime as good as these two? Both of them evoke feelings in m I haven't had since a kid, and even watching something half as good would be very appreciative.

HeroAka, if you want to go the heroic route, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei for the weird shit route (it's a weird harem comedy though). Hellsing Ultimate if you want weird shit that is really cool.

I liked both a lot. GL movies are 12/10 tho.

Thanks dude, i'll add them to my media backlog

>freedom of expression
>neo-marxist
???

>obviously a mediocre attempt at aping past success
No it wasn't. You TTGLfags need to stop thinking everything Imaishi makes is another TTGL. He had plenty of different projects that are actually much more similiar to KLK than TTGL, but somehow, these two are always compared.

The I-I stammer shit makes me think this is bait.
It's bait isn't it.
Fuck.

I don't understand how you can enjoy inconsistent modeling, bad CG, overuse of cost cutting measures like it's fucking cel animation, busy and blobby character designs, and the overuse of that one shitty background for a long time.

Visually if FLCL is a 10 and Berserk 2016 is a 1, TTGL is an 8 and KLK is a 4

Oh, and the second part of the first season of Jojo's Bizzare Adventure (when it' about young Joseph Joestar) for weird heroic shit that is also cool and wholy fuck there's even robot nazis.

I wasn't talking about just TTGL, though the hotblood attempts are there.

It's more project A-ko than anything.

>still not a SINGLE postulation

This is a better question because they are both great in there own way.
What has more fun episodes and what has more shit/boring episodes.
I know TTGL has the first half of s2 was pretty meh.
KLK did not have to many episodes that dragged on that I remember.

Klk 6 or 7 in this example. There was barely any bad CG and poor battle scenes. It was there but literally 1% of the overall show

Oh shit he's still going. Maybe I was wrong.

Easy: the animation is really expressive and fun and so are the designs. You can see the talent of the guys working on the show. Even Sushio seems even more like Sushio in KlK, in TTGL he feels much more bland and generic. And the budget doesn't bother me at all. I'd rather watch a well made creative work than a polished piece that is more generic.

KLK was funnier and had a more memorable secondary cast
TTGL had a better overall story though, plus better pacing
They both have hype as fuck fight scenes and great soundtracks

Many of your issues can be applied to GL as well you know.

Animation alone doesn't determine the overall quality of the show. KyoAni has amazing animation in most of their series, some would even say they're the studio that has movie-quality to most of their productions, and yet, a lot of their works are (arguably) boring shit.

>competely misunderstood KLK

Gurren Lagaan had a huge budget for TV and aside from the guest episode looks beautiful and consistent.

Name them.

The "comedic shit animation" is part of the score

Even as an Imaishi vehicle of weird expression it absolutely falls short of Dead Leaves, PSG and Brittle Bullet

Well, when your characters are obnoxious and terrible and you screetch the plot progression to a halt for shenanigans, audio/visual presentation are your saving grace.

>Even as an Imaishi vehicle of weird expression it absolutely falls short of Dead Leaves, PSG and Brittle Bullet
Weren't we talking about KlK and TTGL?

>the animation is really expressive and fun (in klk)
>here are examples of the same philosophy by the same director with far better results (in Dead Leaves, PSG and FLCL)

Gurren Lagann does have more "heart", but the messages don't ring as true. How could anything have ever made me care about a piece of clothing...

>The "comedic shit animation" is part of the score
You don't have to like it but it worked well with the show and its characters. Not every sequence has to be a sakuga-masterpiece.

>when your characters are obnoxious and terrible
Agree to disagree. TTGL had a worst cast.

>Dead Leaves, PSG
Oh my god, you don't know when to quit

Cool. What does it have to do with KlK and TTGL?

hi Sup Forums, fuck off Sup Forums. you were never funny.

I would rather have a cast that I felt something. All I thought when watching GL was how long was left.

OK I liked KLK more but I watched KLK a month ago at age 23 and GL in like high school at age 17 or 18 i forget.

KLK was more self-aware funny / ironic, which I appreciate more in shows. GL was more sappy and genuine

Becoming a man and destroying the obstacles in your way while acknowledging your shortcomings and coming to terms with your failure and balancing senseless progression with cautious appraisal is pretty universal, user.

>not everything has to be sakuga

Sure, but there is a basic level of quality I expect to be met in the digital age.

It wasn't funny or cool or interesting.

>don't know when to quit
There is no reason to.

I can't count the number of times I spaced out during an episode due to boredom and realized that the characters I was looking at were doing literally nothing of interest for a good chunk of an episode.

Sorry, by this I mean that they were practically static for the majority of an episode.

Same director, same design philosophy with the visuals of KLK.

You have an argument (KLK is cool because it's wacky and expressive!)

I have a rebuttal (here are examples of wacky and expressive stuff from similar teams with less QUALITY and better results)

TTGL had different goals with the visuals, so the comparison isn't as apt when it comes to wackyness

Opposite for me, everyone in KLK felt like obnoxious morons with little to get me to like them. Gurren Lagann was light but efficient with the main team, even if the secondary characters are weak.

Again I would like to say this may just be due to me spacing out but everything felt very slow including character movements and got very annoying due to this.

Give an example. TTGL is generally firing on all cylinders in terms of progression, so i'm gonna need specifics here.

Every SINGLE episode has some purpose character wise and plot wise.

KLK had a LOT of fluff, especially early on.

> everyone in KLK felt like obnoxious morons with little to get me to like them
This is how I feel about pretty much every character in GL.

>I have a rebuttal
You don't have a rebutal, you have a comment on my position. Which is cool, you can comment it if you want. But you're refuting nothing by saying that Sushio also made other shows. I know that, I've watched them. What does it change?

I think the first time I noticed was during some of the conversation scenes during episode 6.

>It wasn't funny or cool or interesting.
It was though. Again, you may not like it, but it served its purpose.

>I have a rebuttal (here are examples of wacky and expressive stuff from similar teams with less QUALITY and better results)
You're comparing film budget to a new studio working with peanuts.

>I'VE SEEN ONLY 20 ANIME

kek

>semantic and playing dumb, the argument

Do you have a relevant point to make or are you just shitposting?

Different strokes I guess, but I just don't get it. TTGL had very strong personality and execution of solid archetypes, everyone was fairly digestable and rarely made poor decisions unless it felt like the right thing to do. Kill la Kill was full of nonsense, Gamagoori, Mako, Mako's family, the four council people under Satsuki, Satsuki, etc. just one note and BLAH.

GL by a long shot. Kill La KIll is great, but it starts to fall short in certain parts of the second half. Kill La Kill was also pretty lacking in character development. Gamagori, Satsuki and Sanageyama have some in the first half, but that's about it. Nudist Beach essentially being pointless and the "plot bullet" that never resulted in anything also leave some poor marks on the series for me.

>Do you have a relevant point to make or are you just shitposting?
That's my line

You watched the edited version for daytime TV which was an episode entirely recut to be a clipshow. Yeah I bet that felt slow.

> Different strokes I guess, but I just don't get it. TTGL had very strong personality and execution of solid archetypes, everyone was fairly digestable and rarely made poor decisions unless it felt like the right thing to do. Kill la Kill was full of nonsense, Gamagoori, Mako, Mako's family, the four council people under Satsuki, Satsuki, etc. just one note and BLAH.
give me an example

KLK was better; both shows are pretty good if heavily flawed, but KLK felt more unique. Weird faux-showa show about alien clothes is something I haven't actually seen before while "It's an homage to Super Robots" has been done and done better.

I watched it on Netflix :/

It's a different type of show, KLK wasn't drama and it sure as hell never tried to be one, even in its darkest moments it was hilarious. Characters being extreme is just part of it.

KLK had only three things worth watching in it. Satsuki, Ryuko and Nonon.
Also the genocidal lgbt hair rapist.

Aikuro and Mako, while being a bit annoying at the start, really cracked me up nearing the end of the series. Guess it just takes time for some jokes to kick in.

>Not liking GAMAGORRRRRRI IRRRRRA
How can you?

>the budget
Well then, maybe Kill la Kill wasn't the right project to tackle at that time in their company? It's no excuse, if you commit to a product then I want you to deliver. Anime is BUILT on taking cost cutting measures in animation and making it beautiful anyway. KLK fails to hide it's production shortcomings.

Yup, episode 6 was edited.

Every time they were on screen?
>my character is to yell
>my character is to be so genki I stop the show and repeat animation over and over
>my character is to be stoic
>my character is to want food and tiddies
>my character is to fight satsuki because muh dad but lemmie mess around in school first

Sorry if I can't name episodes specifically, I watched it as it aired.

It's just A-ko and TTGL combined (both way better than this)

It simply wasn't funny to me, the same 3 gags got old.

Posting the actual best character in either show

> Anime is BUILT on taking cost cutting measures in animation and making it beautiful anyway. KLK fails to hide it's production shortcomings.
What they did with the cost cutting measures is what makes the show so enjoyable for me. Scaling, jagged movements for comedic purposes etc. These make the show unique and visually interesting imo. If you took these out, you would be left with something like gurren lagann, which is uninteresting and boring. Well you wouldn't really because the characters in KLK are much better but this is getting too long. I'll go into detail if you so wish.

>Anime is BUILT on taking cost cutting measures in animation and making it beautiful anyway
Is this a joke? please click on the latest anime episode you've downloaded and tell me how many frames of the character's face or the character's standing with their hands on their hips you see. You might not notice how long these frames are actually on screen because most of the time you'll be busy trying to read the subtitles, but these take the majority of your average anime episode. It only changes when there's an intense moment to animate, either a battle or something important plot-wise. At least KLK tried to make fun of it with cartoonish animation and effects.

It's clear you wanted KLK to be something else, and couldn't understand why it was the way it was. This is fine, you don't have to like it. But don't pretend everything it tried to do was awful just because.

>It simply wasn't funny to me, the same 3 gags got old.
There are far more than 3 gags in each episode. I think you're missing all the visual jokes.

Explain how the characters in Kill la Kill are better than TTGL, I want to hear this. I've heard enough visual based arguments.

No it's not a joke, i'm aware of stillframes and lipflap moments, and ever since anime first began the techniques were created to make a lipflap shot look pretty anyway. Beautiful backgrounds or character designs, uses of color or Dezaki Harmony shots, creative staging and more. Kill la Kill shirks most of this for a more kinetic style of animation, but fails to have the adequate resources to pull it off (apparently, the talent is there based on previous experience at Gainax)

>I wanted KLK to be something else

Yes, a Gainax show

>don't pretend that everything it tried to do was awful

It pretty much was. I'll give points for originality, that's about it.

Hyperbole, but the point is the visual comedy aspect is monotone and repetitive.

TTGL managed to do so much so well. KLK did some action ok. Both have a weak broader secondary cast, but the primary supporting cast in TTGL manage to have depth and development with minimal time devoted to them. TTGL does hype to an incredible degree and is one of the best out there at it. With extreme tension many of the sequences feel like they hold actual weight. KLK does very, very little to hold any actual investment in what is happening on screen. Its numerous attempts at humour are consistently lacklustre, repetitive, and often straight up annoying. Once again with the matter of actual investment, KLK misses on every emotional moment it tries to provide, I can’t even tell if they really were trying to draw out actual emotion or parodying it half the time. TTGL at its best was able to hit you with real emotional gut punches that didn’t come from cheap drama or forced shit. That’s the key factor between the two. There’s no real investment in KLK, and nothing to feel from the show itself, whereas TTGL holds you entirely and gives some inspirational feelings on top.

Go back to evageeks my man

>derivative tripe with masterful execution or wildly original ideas with sophomoric production

> Explain how the characters in Kill la Kill are better than TTGL, I want to hear this. I've heard enough visual based arguments.
Realise that I only got through half a series as well, but I found problems with GL's characters having little to no motivation, goals or general direction for the story to move towards. It felt as though they were simply ambling about for no particular reason whatsoever waiting for the next thing to happen to them. The characters also seem to have a few weak personality traits that I find pretty obnoxious to watch as it genuinely feels like the characters are lifeless and without purpose. Since it felt like nothing was building up or going to happen in the end except some random bad guy who builds all the mechs getting beaten up, I quit watching, quite content with a feeling that there was little I was going to miss.

>Beautiful backgrounds or character designs, uses of color or Dezaki Harmony shots, creative staging and more
KLK has all of this and more. Sorry you missed all of it.

I just realised this guy spends all his time reading the subs instead of watching the actual show. This is the only way he can miss what's good about KLK.

Isn't KLK just a fanservice show? I don't see how it is possible to compare it to the incredible journey of Gurren Lagann.

Isn't Yoko just a fanservice character? I don't see how it's possible to compare her to the masterpiece that is Satsuki Kiryuuin.

>the same shitty background with the same shitty colors for at least half the show
>shitty busy and blob like character designs
>decent use of color aside from the aformentioned backgrounds
>harmony shots were really poorly done, small point but they rarely used the old techniques besides lampshading them
>the staging is piss poor 99% of the time, I won't give you this one at all

Not an argument, and you're wrong.

Breaking out into the world, seeing the sights for the first time, putting a stop to the forces driving you from this beautiful world, bettering yourself and becoming stronger, saving the downtrodden and eventually vengance and love being the driving force.

The characters arn't paragons of complexity but all have human motives unlike KLK where the motive (muh dad) is ignored for many episodes.

Your loss.

It's too ugly to fap to.

Seriously what am I missing out on. Everyone describes GL as an incredible journey or some shit which contrasts so much to what I saw in the first ten episodes. There has to be something I'm missing, right?

There's a timeskip shortly after you dropped it.