Why does Anime look worse and worse each year?

Why does Anime look worse and worse each year?

Attached: akira.gif (499x487, 1019K)

Other urls found in this thread:

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2017-04-20/katsuhiro-otomo-unveils-cutaway-painting-inspired-by-bruegel-tower-of-babel/.114847
youtube.com/watch?v=mbPBCqsS3TY&t=31s
twitter.com/Violet_Letter/status/951393562091900929
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This aesthetic makes my dick hard

>Implying that what we have now doesn't look better than the potato digital art from early 2000s.

Attached: 1509833486877.png (640x480, 627K)

>Posts a film
>Arguably the best looking film as well

Playing fair are we.

Is it too many shades and filters? And not searching for interesting aesthetics?

Akira is not representative of the average late 80s animation quality.

its getting worse because the industry is becoming more interested in making money over making art.

You're being to narrowminded, like any other medium 60% of anime is trash. Don't think that all films like Akira were the norm back then

>digital
Kill yourself my man.

Attached: godsquad.jpg (3840x2160, 354K)

The Akira Committee was the name given to a partnership of several major Japanese entertainment companies brought together to realize production of an Akira film. The group's assembly was necessitated by the unconventionally high budget of around ¥1,100,000,000 ($10,329,000 in 1988 → $21,641,743.39 in 2018), intended to achieve the desired epic standard equal to Otomo's over 2,000-page manga tale. The committee consisted of Kodansha, Mainichi Broadcasting System, Bandai, Hakuhodo, Toho, Laserdisc Corporation and Sumitomo Corporation who all forwarded money and promotion towards the film. The animation for the film was provided for by animation producers, Tokyo Movie Shinsha (now TMS Entertainment).[13]

At the time, most anime was notorious for cutting production corners with limited animation, such as having only the characters' mouths move with basic lip sync while their faces remained static. Akira broke from this trend with detailed scenes, pre-scored dialogue (wherein the dialogue is recorded before the film starts production and the movements of the characters' lips are animated to match it;[14] a first for an anime production, although the voice actors did perform with the aid of animatics),[9] and super-fluid motion as realized in the film's more than 160,000 animation cels.[13] Computer-generated imagery was also used in the film, primarily to animate the pattern indicator used by Doctor Ōnishi, but it was additionally used to plot the paths of falling objects, model parallax effects on backgrounds, and tweak lighting and lens flares.[9] Unlike its live-action predecessors, Akira also had the budget to show a fully realized futuristic Tokyo.

>5 cm per second / Kimi no na wa are estimated to have budgets of half Akira's budget at best ($5,000,000)
>$10,329,000 in 1988 → $21,641,743.39 in 2018

Why does nobody put this kind of effort in anymore?

Studio executives nowadays feel more inclined to make creative decisions over Artists(instead of letting them do their fucking jobs) for the sake of maximizing profits; the result is a sterile, non offensive product which appeals to both everyone and no one.

you were saying?

Attached: 1516350794671.webm (1920x1080, 2.26M)

And Artists these days are so fucking wimpy and afraid to take risks, we need more Independent Creator run studios (like Gainax in its early days) Fuck the money where the passion? You can make an animated film for nothing nowadays with all of the digital animation tools available. I'm just baffled that a group of like minded people with a vision haven't stepped up and made something important in so long.

That isn't particularly well animated

Attached: 1430698410091.webm (848x480, 2.21M)

21 million is actually really low for most hollywood movie budgets these days. Why don't we see more Akira quality 2D movies these days

Scrounge up 21 million dollars and me and you will create the next Akira

>soul-less computer animation
>effort
Fuck off.

Because you don't actually watch anime, so your opinion is based on memes and stereotypes.

Post some good looking modern shit and refute me then fag

>comparing moves with tv anime
Great, another retarded nostalgiafag who knows nothing about anime.
Why don't you fuck off to reddit and jerk off Cowboy Bebop for the millionth time.

>p-p-please spoonfeed meeeee

Name an Anime released in the last 8 years not animated completely on 2s

>namefag
Filtered

Anime is not hollywood.

>I-i can I just w-wont :^)

Name ten anime made before the 00 shoot on ones.

You people really have no concept of what good animation is.

I can see why people wouldn't want to make another Akira style production when you could make almost 10 one cour series for the price of one Akira

Hollywood is full of stupid stubborn leeches who honestly don't give 2 fucks about films unless it's a verifiable and restrictive commercial success. They are money hoarders, not artists. Well, you can enjoy the next 20 superhero movies anyway.

More like
>I'm too stupid and willfully ignorant to fully immerse myself in the medium, now let be bitch about my shallow normalfag opinions even though I have nothing to back it up

10 shows are meaningless. Akira lasts through the ages as a glorious and patrician man-made monument. They made the right choice.

People have to eat. Artists already take risks when practically run on energy drinks and cup noodles while working long hours

Can you even name 10 shows from this year?

anichart.net

>Why don't we see more Akira quality 2D movies these days
disney fell for the CG meme

Oh, please educate me.

>if it's not simple and barely in-model character designs of people running around and waving their limbs then it's not good animation!

Attached: ce98eeca27b2f3619117c0726513cfd4.webm (640x360, 2.35M)

I wish Otomo would make more manga and anime but i dig that his spending his twilight years doing stuff like this.
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2017-04-20/katsuhiro-otomo-unveils-cutaway-painting-inspired-by-bruegel-tower-of-babel/.114847

BRAIN-DEAD MONG

He peaked with Akira, really it can never be topped.

because you're a cherrypicking faggot

That's cool as hell

That looks like shit

>Why does Anime look worse and worse each year?
because you neckbearded faggots have been screaming MUH WAIFU MUH WAIFU MOE MOE KYUN so the anime industry literally necked itself so that you could have your insipid fucking moeblobs.

Attached: 1473311618565.jpg (525x295, 36K)

It looks like really obvious CGI that sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the show, what the fuck are you on about?

Same question for your dumbass, what are you on about? Slice of life shows based around cute girls don't need shitty CGI, for one thing.

Attached: 1323908747790.jpg (750x581, 104K)

literally none of those scenes are in the actual anime.

I'm sorry GodAni will never animate your favorite show (which is probably some shonenshit), but it's not healthy to be such a seething, butthurt faggot.

Attached: d3d5653e7e286fa6bb1281af20c2e465.webm (854x480, 2.44M)

>3d animation and modelling doesn't take effort
>"""""""""""soulless""""""""""

Granted, most CG in aniime IS shit and clearly without effort, but that's because they are incompetent/lazy, not because the medum is bad.That particular webm looks good.

>hating on Shonen
fugging pedo lel

CG

I'm not into Hokuto no Ken fan, but that trailer made me cry.

>cgi
For your sake, I hope you are just baiting for the sweet (you)'s, and not actually this dumb or blind.

Attached: ishidate_taking_on_franxxfag_shitposters.webm (854x480, 2.67M)

Hey you can't deny the backgrounds have gotten incredibly photo-realistic.

And in case of SHAFT it's just slightly filtered real life photos.

Terror of the over-fiend looked like shit though and it's from the same period

>Slice of life shows based around cute girls don't need shitty CGI, for one thing.
Instead of working on quallity, improving the medium, refining detail and process, studios season after season, year after year, waste their budgets on rehashed bullshit because their biggest fanbase is the greasy meatslappers that need new "waifus" every fucking season.
Nobody wants to watch an epic, or a masterpiece, they just want something that they can moon over with their autistic screeching.

Attached: shoe.jpg (300x372, 14K)

Those shows and films are mostly still being made, you just aren't looking

>soulless

Look, I hate CG about as much as you do, but stop using that word.
How about "faceless" or "uninspired"?

>Anime is not Hollywood

Well it certainly is

literally none of those scenes are in the actual anime.

For a laugh, define what you consider to be a "masterpiece" and name the series you think fit into this category.

Death Note up until Ls death

because hollywood is a jewish money laundering scheme. the cost of the movie doesnt matter, thats why transformers still makes a profit even though having a budget of 300m. beisdes, that estimation is also unrealistic. if you were to make a movie from cels today it would cost you most than 21m, simply ebcause the raw material is hard to get a hold of and the techniques are only known by a few individuals in the industry. making akira today would easily cost twice as much, probably more simply because the cast could leverage their expertise to drive up salaries.

Pretty much what I expected from your post.

I know. Those CMs took months to animate, hence why we don't have that sort of animation anymore. It's just not doable with the hectic schedules and tight budgets.

Isao Takahata made a masterpiece with Tale Of the Princess Kaguya. It's closest thing to akira presently

Why do you think this?

Anime is so boring recently, the scenarios are always generic school, You Name and Silent Voice are a masterpiece, fuck you, remember Steamboy? End of Evangelion? Red Line? Tekkonkinkreet? Akira? that's what I call masterpieces, not a fucking teen angst

youtube.com/watch?v=mbPBCqsS3TY&t=31s

>digital

twitter.com/Violet_Letter/status/951393562091900929

No care put into color palettes, camera angles, framing, composition, sequence direction, sound design, music, character design etc.

The animation becomes much colder, before as the god of / co / had said (John k) The anime had the advantage of handling their colors too well and making creibless palettes even with the limited of animation, today is 90% cold and lifeless, You only need to see things with citrus or overlord to make you vomit if you know about aesthetics, it is not as ugly as steven universe but it is ugly.

Attached: JohnK.jpg (1200x1800, 312K)

>Tale Of the Princess Kaguya
literally zzzz, I want that hour of my life back

less money

Akira probably wouldn't even exist in the first place without Takahata helping to make the original Lupin III anime to be honest.

Because if everything looked like Akira the industry would have gone bakrupt a long time ago

At least it wouldn't be a joke.

I want an anime with 4 overpowered cute badass girls, that would have insanely good actions scenes, every episode, symphogear and flip flappers were kinda close to that, but symphogear doesn't have amazing actions scenes, they are great, especially the one from the first episodes, but not exactly what i wanted, in flip flappers i wated it to have a bit more main characters, sayaka joined too late, but it was great anime anyway.

It's the same shit with every other visual focused media.

With CGI everything has become soulless and plain. It saves work and money.

The only thing the Akira movie had going for it was its animation quality so they might as well pour money into doing something right.

>cute badass girls
Gay.

Good anime should be 100% sakuga with rich, lush animation, contiguous shots, an engaging and dynamic soundtrack and a plot that engages as well as entertains.
cute girls doing cute things cutely challenges nothing and breaks no ground.

Oh no, the keions destroyed anime. If it weren't for these damn anons and they're waifus we would be getting a new Cowboy Bebop each season!

I started watching anime back in the 80's. The reason why I enjoyed it was because animation in my country was beep boop duck season rabbit season I tawt I taw a puddy tat.
In anime, I found a realm of storytelling that challenged the medium, that broke new ground, that showed me stories I never could have imagined as possible.

I saw a medium that had the potential to rival hollywood. There is so much you can do in animation that would be either impossible to replicate in real life, or would break laws if it were done in real life.

Instead...
>muh waifu

This whole elevator scene had be on the edge of my seat, adrenaline in my body, sweat on my face. It was so well done with camera work and animation. A terminator-like robot, barely held at bay by an electromagnet with a damaged power pack, endlessly circling with a reporter and the robot's target. Will the robot kill it's target? Will the electromagnet fail? will the reporter make a mistake? what happens when the elevator reaches its destination? Intense.

Instead...
>meru meru meru meru meru meru meru me~

Attached: 77067b581ccc1ceef8663387f16abddcbbcf048b_hq.gif (638x340, 2.56M)

>Oh no, the keions destroyed anime. If it weren't for these damn anons and they're waifus we would be getting a new Cowboy Bebop each season!
Yes, please.

Anime has never done anything that wasn't done in film or literature before.

>don't need shitty CGI
Who said anything about needing? They are cheaper and they still sell when looking like dog shit because muh waifu!!1 so why would they invest more money and make it look better than the bare minimum that still sells?

so, do you think than modern anime sucks now for mediocre status of industry now?

Because you habe to go the oculist.
It looks better and better each year

>They are cheaper and they still sell when looking like dog shit because muh waifu!!1
Meanwhile shows about muh waifu usually have good animation while "manime" looks like shit or its fully CGI like the upcoming Souten no Ken.

Attached: cg.jpg (1280x720, 46K)

Can't have an animation budget when you sell 13 copies. Can't sell more than 13 copies when you look like shit.

damn he took the neck pill

>Can't sell more than 13 copies when you look like shit
Tell that to Shaft

>can't sell more than 13 copies when you look like shit
Symphogear, Kemono Friends, practically any SHAFT anime beg to differ

I dunno, senpai, why do you?

Shaft is clearly the exception. Why their shit sells is beyond human understanding.

anime is produced in mass production for niches, the quality is not as important as the quantity

I seriously don't understand why it hasn't been recreated anymore.

Why complain about TV anime looking worse than movie anime? It's like complaining about TV cartoons looking worse than movie cartoons.
Of course it looks worse. Less money, less time, less staff to work around.

>Art style
>Animation
Fuck off if you really cant tell the difference between them

Not true. Anime past 2008-9 looks way better than anime 2001-2007.

That being said, pre 2000 > post 2000

What? You don't like badass girls?