Lain

I'm 4 episodes in and I don't see why this gets so much hate. It's not the best thing ever but it isn't overly pretentious like Monogatari which is what I was expecting.

Attached: Lain-Iwakura-lain-iwakura-37176738-1512-1072[1].png (1512x1072, 1.51M)

Are you new to anime?

On the internet everything is vapid shit or god tier untouchable, don’t you know that OP?

>So much hate
From shitposters who think Madoka is the best thing since Miyazaki.

>Lain getting hate
???

Usually when Sup Forums universally hates something it's because it actually is shit, like FranXX or DBS.

Attached: LAIN1.png (2000x2000, 281K)

but Sup Forums doesn't universally hate lain.
In fact, I don't think I've seen anybody express hatred for the show here.

people hate Lain because it's too hard to understand

Why someone will hate Lain? Lain is love (literally)

Keep watching the anime, it´s a good one

Attached: lain-chan.jpg (400x280, 46K)

>I don't see why this gets so much hate
What?

The only people who hate on Lain aren't intelligent enough to grasp and appreciate the incredibly well done philosophical aspects from multiple perspectives. Lain was ahead of its time and also predicted the future. It's a true masterpiece from so many angles.

NGE has to be credited for making stuff like Lain possible. NGE made a lot of mistakes when trying to go deep into psychology and philosophy, which in return makes Lain shine even brighter.

Madoka is the reminder that doing anime like this is difficult. Madoka failed on so many levels. However, it reminds you how great Lain really is.

It's hard to understand because we don't seem to understand.

a shame

>Implying

How did Madoka and NGE fail?

You need to get off this board. Seriously. Either lurk or don't post at all cause EVERYBODY loves Lain. Also, Monogatari? Pretentious? Really, user?

>Lain was ahead of its time and also predicted the future.
Wrong. Internet was already a thing in 1998, although it wasn't very popular. Also Lain is about Collective Unconsciousness

>NGE has to be credited for making stuff like Lain possible.
Wrong.
from wiki -> The authors were asked in interviews if they had been influenced by Neon Genesis Evangelion, in the themes and graphic design. This was strictly denied by writer Chiaki J. Konaka in an interview, arguing that he had not seen Evangelion until he finished the fourth episode of Lain. Being primarily a horror movies writer, his stated influences are Godard (especially for using typography on screen), The Exorcist, Hell House, and Dan Curtis's House of Dark Shadows. Alice's name, like the names of her two friends Julie and Reika, came from a previous production from Konaka, Alice in Cyberland, which in turn was largely influenced by Alice in Wonderland. As the series developed, Konaka was "surprised" by how close Alice's character became to the original Wonderland character.

>Madoka
Wrong. Madoka has nothing to do with either lain nor eva

Still dont get how the Wired was already conncted to the C.U.

>Also, Monogatari? Pretentious?
Yes.

Attached: Loli marriage.jpg (1920x1080, 264K)

>Monogatari? Pretentious? Really, user?
What about its overblown, artsy, abstract presentation that gives off an impression of the show wanting to convey some below surface-level themes despite being some of the most thematically vapid harem schlock is unpretentious?

Monogatari is just quality fanservice

It conveys all of its themes fine. The presentation is there for the viewer to have something interesting to look at and/or get a look into Araragi's mind as he talks with people and the usual fanservice happens. The themes would be communicated just as well without the presentation, but would you want to watch a show where two people just talk back and forth forever without having any different visuals?

Watch it 80 times at 4x speed while on accela and then come back

Is 2x of youtube not enough?

I’ve literally never seen a thread here Suggesting a negative census opinion on Lain.

It doesn't get enough hate.
It gets so much praise and so little criticism that it's actually baffling how you can make that claim OP.
It's really well directed and there's much to like but it's not the revolutionary view on the internet and future of technology some people pretend it is.

Wrong
Lots of people say it's pretentious garbage

Wrong. Not on Sup Forums

NGE has several issues. The most notable one is that the whole philosophy is centered around Shinji, who just isn't a character a lot of people can relate to. It tackles the people who suffer from a terrible past, which triggered severe depression and ultimately tries to convince you that you can change your reality (there are some diehard fans of Eva, who happen to relate to this, most people can't). It uses completely abstract relgious symbolism (which is stuff you don't know about unless you happen to study theology) to create some sort of meaningful story, which is the base for some of the philosophical aspects later on. And sadly, despite the effort, you can't ignore the Deus Ex Machina that got Shinji into unit 01, because the experience related to this plays a key role in the development of Shinji as a character. NGE is still a decent anime.

I don't want to go into detail with Madoka. One dimensional characters can't deliver a meaningful message and the ending is an ass-pull. People look past this, mainly because Madoka shines in other aspects. It's an enjoyable anime, but the message isn't delivered well and the characters are drawn to the plot.

I love Lain

Attached: 878d85a3-5013-4925-87db-b19b85ca715b.jpg (1000x1500, 1.03M)

>It conveys all of its themes fine
Do you expect me to read the rest of your post when you're too retarded to even understand what I was saying?

I really liked her personality in the first couple of episodes.

But at the end her personality kind of died down.

Have you loved Lain today Sup Forums?

Attached: ezgif-1-fe7b9a36f8.gif (323x323, 452K)

Lain doesn't get hate user, people posting about her do. She's one of the first internet goddesses. Her series is a prototypical pleb filter, but it doesn't try to overextend it's welcome like other things. It doesn't demand much of the viewer, even though it is best enjoyed if you know it's pretense.

I see you don't understand the difference between the technical start of the internet and the cultural start. BBS and IRC were closer to physical clubs and county boards than the pervasive social media and darknet that SEL described. The "Current day, current time" tagline says that individuals are supposed to treated like normal people, and not romanticized historical figures nor idealized science fiction protagonists. This also was to build up part of the horror and countercultural premises, not unlike how the "Invisible Man" was built to critique libertarianism and anarchistic movements.

That was kind of the point user. She was slowly being molded to fit the society she was in and to be easier to manipulate.

Attached: 1458877381975.jpg (1024x768, 99K)

That’s MAL-Tier autism, Sup Forums hasn’t fallen that far yet.

God, I don't get the Meguca love at all. It's the most basic of Faustian plots for the original series, and then incomprehensible mess that I can't be bothered to rewatch and make sense of for Rebellion.

You argue that an anime with many philosophical angles is only about a single phenomenon. You can't do that and I'm sure you realize this as well. Without going into detail a lot, Lain did predict the effect of the internet on the mass. The best example out of many is probably that people create different personalities online. I bet you've done this as well. Lain didn't predict the internet as being important to humanity, but a lot of the impact that it had on humanity. It's as you say, it wasn't very popular back then.

Arguing that the authors didn't know about Eva's success from a wiki source isn't credible to me. You don't need to have watched Lucky Star to pick up a different style of anime as another anime studio. It's a lot more believable that the authors would save their face than admitting that the success of Eva created an opportunity for them. Just to be clear, I'm not saying NGE was the first of its kind, but it triggered an avalanche of great anime, which sadly stopped. This brings me to Madoka.

Madoka picks on philosophical topics. Because of the sacrifice in the end and the motives (Madoka's philosophy) behind it (although I'm stricly against calling this a well done character development), I believe it's fair to compare them to the aforementioned because of its popularity and release date. Obviously Madoka only tangents it and doesn't have a lot of depth compared to the other two. Ironically that's what Madoka is praised for as well, which is a thorn in the side of me.

>Lain did predict the effect of the internet on the mass

Sure. But it was not intentional. Ueda stated in Anime Jump that Lain was not a reaction to or a prediction about the internet. The wired works to tie into Lain's more metaphysical plot details. When you take every detail of the anime and try and apply it as a symbol for something regarding the real life internet, you miss out on the more important themes and literal happenings in the series.

Arguably, there's only really one alternate "personality" Lain has outside of herself, and while that does have to do more literally with her becoming more open in the wired, it also has to do with attunement to her nature, and the point of her identity crisis is, again arguably, that Eiri and the Knights are trying to break her down into misery. There's not really anything in the anime that talks about the wired itself doing anything at all, it's all Eiri, Knights, Lain herself, and what they do with it in regards to metaphysical goals.

How can i improve this?

Attached: LAIN.png (1028x567, 30K)