I know that everybody thinks Lain is just shallow trash...

I know that everybody thinks Lain is just shallow trash, but something about it really hit home and whenever I rewatch it it does so again.

Am I just seeing something that isn't really there? I ask because every time I try to pinpoint it, I simply can't. Nothing else ever struck that chord quite like Lain did.

Attached: redlain.png (1354x728, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hCuS6VBgIjc
youtube.com/watch?v=iv7bxFrBvy8
youtube.com/watch?v=2ilXnudiBqQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Ubuntu
pleb

Attached: 9e19e193682e9f903ec3c99019240aaa.png (1280x1280, 553K)

lain is Apple

>I know that everybody thinks Lain is just shallow trash
youtube.com/watch?v=hCuS6VBgIjc

is there a translation of the scenario book by konaka?

>something about it really hit home and whenever I rewatch it it does so again
I'm not going to talk about its themes and elaborate on them, but Lain reminds me of the times when I was in awe of the Internet. It reminded me of the times when I thought that the internet could be so much more than what it is today. I even had some incredibly optimistic thoughts that with the Internet, wars would become next to impossible because everyone is so tightly-knit; negative progress would become impossible to do, and the only way people could go is forward. In hindsight, what my teenage self was thinking was stupid, ignored human nature, and it vastly overestimated the capabilities of the internet (in part because it was a very limited thing, only universities and rich people had access to it).
This. The creators were huge macfags, whether one likes it or not.

Attached: Lain TV shop.jpg (783x584, 72K)

>he creators were huge macfags
In 90s Mac wasn't what it has beome

This is how GNU/Linux fags actually live

Attached: 1402527523645 (2).webm (800x450, 2.35M)

Oh, user, you don't seem to understand.

>scenario book by konaka
dont like this Eiri

I know, I didn't mean it as a negative thing, I was just explaining the reasoning behind what that guy I quoted said.
Apple's machines were quite admirable, and my country was pumping out a ridiculous amount of Apple II clones called "Pravetz" and supplied plenty of them to the Russians. I don't know if they were the best at the time, or were merely easy to reproduce over others, but the way everyone, even people from other countries, were taking these machines and building on them in various ways was incredibly sweet and heartwarming. Might've not been legal, but that drove progress.

I wish

I think what got me was that intense sense of alienation and getting lost in the Internet. I felt like a Lain at her age. Still do in a lot of ways.

Attached: I'll be with you forever.gif (450x343, 487K)

It's not shallow.
Too many people will judge something based on the message it portrays, taking the message as everything. "What does it say about the human experience? What that's it? Pretty shallow".
When in media it's about how the message is told. And Lain is at heart a great surreal horror. Not just some treatise on idealism and the future of the internet.

Attached: Lain walks in.gif (500x357, 498K)

Despera fucking when? And oh... Ubanto is for fags.

Attached: 2010-03-30-262330.jpg (1024x639, 157K)

Lain is the Twin Peaks of anime.
It's pretentious trash that makes no sense, but it's awesome.

Jokes on you. Yoshitoshi Abe is still a Mac and Apple fag.

youtube.com/watch?v=iv7bxFrBvy8

There are also videos of him drawing characters on his iPad.

i know...let ABe be Abe

People who unironically use the word “pretentious” are low taste scum who want to drop everything down to their level of perception: bland, domestic, and shallow.

Attached: 496CBBD9-E213-4ECE-8CDD-5D180AC60EE0.jpg (1440x1080, 250K)

>Lain is the Twin Peaks of anime.
Please...
Lain is STALKER

I was expecting the ayyo

what did they mean by this?

>implying

You need to rewatch it, then. The ayyo happened in a dark room. The room itself was dark if I recall correctly and the corridor the ayyo came from was illuminated.

youtube.com/watch?v=2ilXnudiBqQ
this is anime horror!

What was the meaning of this, btw?

Ayy spoopy

Personally, themes about the internet aside, I really liked Lain's struggle with connecting to people, and the show really nailed that disassociative feeling with anxiety.

Attached: 1505344928793.jpg (1520x1080, 138K)

>the internet
It's The Wired not the internet.

I was referring to how the Wire reflects the emergence of the internet and how it could affect interpersonal relationships but yes it's the Wired in the show.

are you sure about that?

It was right after the conspiracy episode.
I think she appears as an alien to show she's become a conspiracy herself. And that people think she could very well be an alien existence.
The whole alien aspect is considered to be a red herring though, from what I hear.

Attached: [Coalgirls]_Serial_Experiments_Lain_11_(1520x1080_Blu-Ray_FLAC)_[27EEA06D].mkv_snapshot_18.35_[2014. (1520x1080, 83K)

>The Wired

I like how all these other works of fiction had the gall to act as though their retarded interpretations of the Internet were "the Internet" a la "I'm hacking into the CIA mainframe!!" while Lain had the modesty to call their fictionalization of the Internet "The Wired" to explain away any inconsistencies with reality, and then...

...their description turned out largely correct.

GNU nigger here, this is 100% true. I'm not all the way there yet but I'm on the fast track to becoming that webm.