Remember when this got announced? we even had a sticky

Remember when this got announced? we even had a sticky.
life is a roundabout of expectation and disappointment

Attached: 1491668427577.jpg (868x471, 72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdu4uKSZ3M
web.archive.org/web/20180323195709/https://www.animefeminist.com/feature-kino-non-binary-protagonist-deserve/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I never expected anything of the remake. Of course I gave it a try. Kino deserves that much. But I fail to understand why people expected this to be anything other than a quick cash-in.

Attached: 1513971605097.webm (640x360, 2.91M)

holy shit, I was still planning to finish the new series at some point but nevermind

I'm an intelligent man so i didin't even watch it. Kino is still an untainted masterpiece that has absolutely nothing to do with modern anime for me.

Attached: 1123123114234.jpg (444x444, 47K)

I thought it was good, not as much as the original show but quite good nonetheless.

Kino was never good.

I didn't think it was bad except for the cg

It was good if you watched it with realistic expectations.

Episode 6, the one with Photo, was my favorite.

When I was watching this, I was fully expecting it to be an "it was just a dream" sequence, or I thought maybe they were ballsy and decided to go with some sort of satirical 4th wall breaking comedic episode about how unrealistic the setting is.

When I realized that they were serious about this I suddenly felt a deep sadness.

The problem is that you expect happines.
Always Low your expectations and you'll be fine.
In the end you will die all alone

I started thinking that after the new one. I feel like the original pulled the wool over my eyes with its style, but the stories were always shallow and retarded.

Yeah, for me the new series wasn't bad but it also wasn't very good either.

I mean, I don't think any of us really expected they'll remake like 3 already existing episodes. And badly too, the old anime adapted the colosseum country was loads better with actual characterization and shits.

How do you know which adaptation is better when you didn't read the original?

Next time don't set any expectations.

Attached: 1510883475812.jpg (1120x1400, 165K)

Nigga please, nu-Kino gladiator segment was basically a flashforward.

You didn't answer the question though.

that's what you get for liking something that isn't shonen jump

Attached: 1519676806527.jpg (259x194, 10K)

>life is a roundabout of expectation and disappointment
youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdu4uKSZ3M

>CG is the future of anime, just accept it!
>It's just as good as hand drawn!

So, this is Kino's Journey? I thought it was a Lain clone, but now I just might watch it.

there's nothing wrong with this

I never expected much because of this .

PeTA disagrees.

That episode was kind of fun, but who the fuck had the bright idea to end the episode on it?

It's not that it wasn't good, it's just that it was never really deep. It was always just a bunch of "what if?" stories about a cute boy on her motorad and I think a lot of people were disappointed in the new series because they were expecting more, based on the dreamy, scanline-y, artsy character of the first adaptation.

It's a series of fables about the human condition with Kino and her talking motorcycle as our perspective characters on the absurdities of Man.

>end the episode
meant series

The second part of the episode was the most Kino way to end it, though.

i enjoyed it, and also the hmanga

The old series tried to do it's own stuff and the new one just kept it close to the books, is that a correct assumption?

Each method has its own merits, but the new series had a shit director and a bunch of CG. That makes it inherently worse.

What was wrong with the direction in the new one?

That's correct.

Are you being facetious or do you genuinely not understand anything about visual direction, and have you not actually watched both of them?

I'll never go near sheep again.

Attached: 4186.jpg (1280x720, 106K)

What the new director decided to use more colors than 50 shades of brown

Better than the original.

The only thing I know about visual direction is that people make threads shitposting about it, but honestly I don't really know what the term is supposed to mean. I'm asking, because out of all the reasons to complain about the show, I don't really see anything wrong with the direction.

>You just don't like it because of the bright colors!
No you fucking idiot, I don't like it because of the oversaturated backgrounds that clash against character models, and because there's literally no interesting shot composition, and the "animation" looks like this
There's nothing wrong with a brighter color palette, but the new anime looked like shit outside of character designs.

This was so damn hilarious, best episode. CG sheeps of doom.

>I don't really see anything
It shows.
I'll tell you what, if you can point out the one episode of the new anime that actually had good directing, then maybe I'll take your assessment seriously. Hit me with a number.

1 through 12

Okay, so you know less than nothing about directing. Why talk about it at all like you have any idea what constitutes good directing?

It was a perfectly serviceable adaptation though. Will probably get an S2 because of Aoi.

I really loved how they changed her design colors around like they do in the novels, that was an amazing touch that I didn't expect at all, I thought were were going to be stuck with shitty olive green Kino the entire time.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Kino no Tabi (2017) - 09 [720p].mkv_snapshot_05.15_[2017.12.01_13.08.12].jpg (1280x720, 79K)

I talk about it, because you said the direction was shit and then refused to explain why you think that when I was genuinely curious. There's no need to get defensive.

If you can't even pick out the one well directed episode, then you don't even know the basics of the basics. I'm not about to try to explain color to a blind man.

it was ok, but the lack of a good direction killed it

Why does that matter? Fucking episode 1, I gotta say I really like what they did in that one. Can you answer my question now or did you just want to be a pretentious faggot?

>Why does that matter?
Because you don't even understand what people are talking about at a basic level when people say the directing was shit, and no one wants to hold a retard's hand until he understands enough about visual mediums to have a decent conversation.

Are you seriously implying "the direction was shit" was a well-formed opinion that needs any kind of knowledge to understand?

No, I'm explicitly stating that it's common knowledge that doesn't need explanation, and if you don't understand why it's common knowledge then you're a fucking idiot who might as well stare at bad fan art while listening to drama CDs instead of watching anime.

Was the dream like feel of the 03 series present in the books as well?

Attached: 1510609157203.png (853x480, 356K)

>it's common knowledge that doesn't need explanation
It's not and it does. It's your private shitty opinion not some general consensus that can't be challenged.

>not some general consensus
Is this your first Kino thread in the last year?

>Putting the Sakura episode in the middle of the series
>Making this bullshit the finale instead
I hope whoever directed this never works again. What an embarrassment.

How would you even display that in a book?
Regardless, no, it's about as dreamlike as Gulliver's Travels.

Kinda? I guess it depends on your imagination. The language is pretty simple though.

They were shitposting central after the new series came out, so I tended to avoid them.

I think the difference between the two shows highlights just how important the director can be to a series. Kino's stories are simple enough that they can easily be elevated into something terrific with good direction. But they can also be made bland and wholly uninteresting when put in the hands of a talentless hack.

>any opinion differing from my own is shitposting so I avoided group discussion
>but let me tell you why I know what was or wasn't the general consensus
You're actually stupider than I thought. I'm out.

reminder that Kino is a very pretty girl!

Attached: Ar0GqDp.png (1920x1080, 1.51M)

So adding fillers and changing Kino's character is good direction?

The character design is the best part of the new series.

Attached: 1512766658461.jpg (1250x1450, 322K)

So how different was kino in the novels when compared to kino in 2003 anime?

Don't respond to the retard.

I don't think the new stories were bland. On the contrary, I think stripping them off that weird feel of the 2003 adaptation made them, I dunno, simpler? It made it easier to focus on the actual stories and not everything around them. I don't really think Kino needs anything special added to it to be interesting.

Why the fuck are you even in this thread if you don't want discussion and are satisfied with saying "everyone knows it's shit" and calling it a day? Is that even your genuine opinion in the first place or are you just a conformist blindly following the group?

If you think that was bad, wait until you see the black hole of disappointment that Geass is going to be.

Shut up. It has the same director, seiyuu and studio behind it. R3 will be everything we want.

>R3 will be everything we want.
12 episodes of Lelouch and CC holding hands?

She is not a True Neutral.

24 episodes of CC laughing at Kallen for being a retard, Lelouch impregnating CC, Suzaku piloting spin kicking mechs, and based Orange-kun teaching everyone what real loyalty is.

I look forward to your despair.

Attached: junko_crown.png (560x560, 334K)

>the state of anime
was it a mistake?

>I look forward to your despair.
Come find me in LoGH in 2 weeks.

>Will probably get an S2 because of Aoi
I'm perfectly fine with that.

>mfw was waiting for the remake for 5 years
>was hoping that the antagonists like the earth church would be more flushed out.
how does one survive the bastardization of anime?

>how does one survive the bastardization of anime?
By dealing with it in small doses over many years and having a good sized backlog spanning many genres.

web.archive.org/web/20180323195709/https://www.animefeminist.com/feature-kino-non-binary-protagonist-deserve/
This is the future you chose.

She never was, but the new series made her seem even more like an irresponsible sociopathic murderhobo. Which may have always been the case, but that makes me dislike Kino intensely.

No, I didn't.

Fuck off.

In a way, even if I find their jargon ridiculous and I think the entire article is a gross overinterpretation of the story, I'm happy that appreciating Kino is so universal.

I'm usually not very strict when it comes to QUALITY but wow this is shit.

Hey guys, what if s3 will be much better than s2? Imagine how awesome that would be.

don't worry guys, revivals of old shows are always good!

Attached: r3.jpg (940x545, 68K)

S2 was garbage so that shouldn't be too hard.

Where were you during SHEEPfest 2017? It was truly is pivotal defining moment for anime.

Attached: 20171222_194002.jpg (360x317, 56K)

This is a problem with the quality of the source material, not the adaptation.

So why does the adaptation adapt shit chapters when it can adapt hundreds of better ones?

Absolutely right, and I use this as a way to compare the two with the LNs. The 2003 anime and the 2005 OVA in the same style often altered (or completely rewrote) the stories it was adapting to work them into an overarching theme of the anime. You get a unique take on Kino this way that feels like a complete package that is connected but not beholden to the source material.
The 2017 anime wanted to be as faithful as possible to the source material, and they chose a variety of stories from across 20 odd volumes. It's admirable that they did this, but the stories they selected lacked a common thread to tie them together, and the stubborn attitude to be faithful lead to a lot of rushed pacing and mood whiplash. There were good episodes in the newer anime, there were even great episodes (the Kind Country remake and the Country of Liars episodes were really strong), but it was a mess no question.
I just hope that the 2017 anime still managed to interest new peeps in the series despite its flaws. It's always good to discuss the series

The LN had CG sheep physics?

Because we can't have nice things.

Kino is cute

Attached: Kino.jpg (571x800, 98K)

The Photo episode was a low point.

FLCL and LoGH are next.

It pains me to agree with you because I was really looking forward to seeing Photo's origin story animated and I hate to be reminded what a letdown the episode was (same goes for Ship Country, which should have been an OVA).
Photo and Master deserved to have at least a second appearance in an episode each, especially since Shizu's group had a lot of screentime in comparison.