2003 VS Brotherhood

I'm seven episodes into 2003, and the only thing it does better than Brotherhood is lighting and shading (pic related). Every single other aspect is on par or better in Brotherhood. Who started this meme?

Attached: ed.png (720x540, 778K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yS3Qg1JmKNc
youtube.com/watch?v=ORe7gt-mY14
youtube.com/watch?v=VLp_wePNrZA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

later half is completely different from what brotherhood did

I know, but there are plenty of people here that think that 2003 is better before the major divergences.

only chuuni edgelords that watched 2003 when they were 13 claimed it was better

Early pacing and character development is a lot better in 03

Fma03fags are just the American equivalent of HxH99fags. Less content covered up by flair and "better direction" that they can't actually quantify because they won't accept that the newer version has an equal amount (or dearth) of thematic depth

>thematic depth

Brotherhood didn't have any. At its best its a big dumb battle shonen that gets overhyped by newfags because it's not 500 episodes and has an ending.

2003 was a drama with action.

How? Taking more time to do the same things doesn't equate to better pacing. Stuff like episode 5 doesn't really add anything, and episode 4 is so shit that it actually detracts from the experience. Also, may I remind you that both episodes ignore the conservation of mass law. It's like the anime staff didn't give a shit.

>2003
>drama
>Brotherhood
>big dumb shonen
How?

This is only opinion, but I think the whole Nina thing (her death especially) was done better in 2003. Also, the way homunculi work and Greed's death.
In the end, I probably like 2003 better, because it was my first contact with FMA. I read the manga and watched FMAB later.

>Also, the way homunculi work
Oh yeah, I loved how these failed human transmutations just happened to be seven and fit with the deadly sins by complete chance.
Could have been a problem if they were more or less or if they had different personalities.

2003 fights are short, brutal and serve the purpose of getting character reactions first and foremost; Ed vs Greed was about destroying the former's innocence by having him take a life. In Brotherhood fights are the primary focus; there was no deeper reason for why Armstrong fought Sloth beyond the appeal of the powers and fighting.

Well, I don't mind at all. Those things happen in fiction. You can call it fate or shitty writing.
That's just my opinion.

A lot of it was waifu fags who got pissed that Lust became such a minor note in Brotherhood. 03s mid point is where it just keeps jumping the shark with dumb shit, and it has a poor ending which is only made worse with the movie which was meant to be the true ending for the 03 series.

desu the idea of them being failed human transmutations is top tier but the execution (7 deadly sins etc) was fucking awful.

Remember that time when Mustang killed Winry's parents and both didn't get any resolution and the thing was never brought up again?

Since FMA:B skipped ahead pretty quickly to avoid repeating the same stuff, FMA does the character development better. Also, while it wasn't worth the ending, the concept of homunculi being failed human transmutations was actually really good.

I dont remember much from 2003 because I watched it like 10 years ago but if I remember the ending right I think it had a better one than brotherhood.
envy killing Ed because she put on Al's face was pretty crazy
whether or not im right I still find the brotherhood ending kind of dull because there was like 3 episodes of fighting which was tiring as fuck

>if I remember the ending right I think it had a better one than brotherhood
Germany?

>the only thing it does better than Brotherhood is lighting and shading (pic related).
The comparative image did more damage than it did good. Brotherhood's palette is awful, but the actually bad thing about it is that it has the pacing of a schizophrenic on cocaine. 03 actually plays with the subject for a little bit, even though there are bad episodes like the Venice one.

>skipped ahead pretty quickly
False, brotherhood is almost exactly 1.5 chapters per episode throughout. Tucker, Hughes and Greed's deaths really are that short apart in the manga

>but I think the whole Nina thing (her death especially) was done better in 2003.
Well, yeah, of course. The whole thing of Nina is wrapped up in 10 whole minutes with brooding illumination every time his father comes up while in 03 the thing is done in two episodes with Ed actually being suspicious of his host and investigating for a little bit and getting into trouble with the military while in Brotherhood is "yeah hi Ed look at this thing I made".

Brotherhood rushed through the parts 03 already adapted because they thought people wouldn't care about seeing the same thing twice. Everyone knows this.

That point has already been refuted, and doesn't really excuse it when the rest of the show is equally as frantic.

The manga is better

It really hasn't, many manga scenes are outright absent in the anime.

It is better from a dramatic standpoint. Showing the conflict in Liore, and then going back into a flashback arc that deals with their past and how Ed became an alchemist is objectively better than the linear storytelling of Brotherhood or the manga.
Also, leaving the full reveal of their human transmutation until they tell their teacher instead of just showing it all at the beginning is, in my opinion, more impactful.
And finally, the score. Bratja adds a much more emotional tone that Brotherhood was missing.

I prefer to watch the first anime up until Greed and then switch to Brotherhood. Works perfectly.

Start with 03
Finish midway with Bro

Here were some of the things that 2003’s first half did better than Brotherhood:

>Build up the automail reveal in the Loire Arc like it did in the manga.
>Introduce the concept of Alchemy & Equivalent Exchange as quick as possible.
>Make Rose more sympathetic and likable (AND NOT HOLD A GUN IN FRONT OF THE BROS LIKE WHY DID THEY DO THAT).
>Not have Conerello turn into a giant monster for no reason.
>Episode 3... Nothing left to say, Episode 3 was pure Kino.
>Adapt the Yoki arc.
>Introduce Barry The Chopper as a human first, THEN have him show up in Lab 5.
>Give Nina more screentime.

Probably the best way. '03 isn't bad up until the filler, afterwards it just shits on the source. Brotherhood rushes through the early stuff to catch up to the manga quickly.

Truth damn are people still arguing over which anime is better? Can’t we just accept that both series are equally good in their own respective right?

They’re both completely different from each other in terms of tone and story beats. So comparing the two doesn’t work because of that. Hell, even Arakawa herself said that she liked the 2003 anime and that it helped inspire her with writing the manga.

The only bad FMA adaptation that shits on the source is the Live Action one. That’s it.

I think one of the things that also bothered me when I watched '03 back then were the philosopher's stones. Ed and Al lost a lot for human transmutation, so it's a big deal. Creating philospher's stones requires human sacrifices. Then some of the sins gobble them down like finger food, gaining almost nothing from it in the end. Philosopher's stones were basically worthless in '03, which is pretty disappointing for their build up

>Who started this meme?
contrarians

They clearly stablished that the philosopher stones were fake and just boosted shit.

The manga's the best FMA media out there. Just go read that.

That's on purpose, Brotherhood assumes you already saw the stuff that is the same in the two shows and thus rushes through it.

Those weren’t philosophers stones that the homunculi were consuming, they were red stones. Artificial copies of the philosophers stone that are more mass-produced.

However, as an imperfect compound created by mundane methods, Red Stones lack the power of the true Philosopher's Stone and become unstable after a seemingly random number of uses, causing them to break apart mid-transmutation and run the risk of triggering an alchemical Rebound. That’s why Cornello’s stone broke so suddenly and why it caused a rebound effect.

>because it's not 500 episodes and has an ending.
t. because it's not half filler episodes and is a complete story
gosh sounds awful user why would anyone want that

You left out developing Hughes.

>Taking more time to do the same things doesn't equate to better pacing.

It does in this case.

In both the manga and brotherhood, Hughes is gone by chapter 15 and episode 10, respectively.

In 2003, Hughes is killed in episode 25 and has considerably more screentime up until then. His death is the pivotal story beat of the show and one of the most memorable parts of the franchise. If 2003 hadn't expanded his importance, he'd barely be remembered. He certainly wouldn't have his own Sup Forums banner.

Attached: 1333260344871.jpg (640x480, 26K)

Manga > First half of 2003 > Brotherhood > Last half of 2003 > the movie, in my opinion

It's probably because I was introduced with the 2003 anime that the Brotherhood anime feels off to me, the pacing felt a lot better and helped build a connection to the characters more. I felt Brotherhood as a whole felt too rushed to try to catch up with the manga, rather than taking its time or building on the source material. I understand why they did it, but still.

Dante and pretty much everything in the latter half of 2003 was pretty bad though.

Also, I haven't watched either since they both first aired, but I remember 2003 having a much better OST compared to Brotherhood.

They completely skip over Yoki's introduction in Brotherhood which I think is dumb, even if I prefer Brotherhood.

Maybe I should actually make a rewatch if I want to shitpost about it.

Oh shit, you’re right how did I forget?

I don't think they're "fake" philosopher stones, as much as they're low-energy versions of it. They're still conduits of energy for transmutation to "bypass" equivalent exchange. They're still made by siphoning people's life energy, with the way the homunculi, and other stones disintegrate later in the series, we find out that none of the stones are actually "bypassing" equivalent exchange anyways.

You act like he's less pivotal in the manga/brotherhood. He's pretty much one of the major cornerstones to the crew finding out about the nationwide transmutation circle. Hell, aside from Scar's brother, who's just aware that there is a circle, without knowing it's purposed, Hughes basically figured everything out early.

Being pivotal as a plot device isn't as big as being pivotal as a nice guy that everyone liked.

Funny, cause I think I started with the manga and 03 felt weird to me.

Every 2003 Vs BroHo discussion in a nutshell:

BroHo fans: “Duuurrrrrr— 03 Is nothing more than edgy TRASH that shits on the manga!”

2003 Fans: “Duuuurrrr—Brotherhood SUCKS because it’s nothing more than a dumb Shonen!”

Like come on guys, can’t we just accept that both are good?

>He's pretty much one of the major cornerstones to the crew finding out about the nationwide transmutation circle

Plot importance =/= thematic importance.

Hughes' inclusion in more of the story of 2003 prior to his death cements him as a beloved character moreso than his appearances in the other works that don't spare as much time. His status as a fan favorite and his death being remembered as a legendary anime scene are the rewards of 2003's extra effort building him out to create an emotional connection to viewers, lending his death a long-remembered impact.

It makes 2003 a must-watch before Brotherhood. Just stop immediately after and switch series.

Attached: It's raining.png (684x1100, 75K)

that depends on which one has an eyeball monster that eats god and which one has magical nazis

Kino FMA expirience is watching 2003 untill it starts to diverge and then start on Brotherhood after that point

Better pacing and music is just as good. While the anime original stuff isn't perfect it's still pretty good, much darker and doesn't go full shonen

>While the anime original stuff isn't perfect it's still pretty good

lolno

Everything with Dante and Hoenheim's character assassination was dreadful.

Actually showing Trisha for more than 10 seconds helped me get a better understanding of why the boys cared about her and what her death would do to them.

Things that kick-start the story of FMA.

Attached: 694920-trisha_elric__mare_.jpg (640x640, 28K)

Hohenheim was a much better character in 03, he killed people to keep living and wasn't just waaahh muh slaves and Dante was infinitely superior to Brotherhood's generic "imma become god" villain

Why do people say the start of 2003 is better than Brotherhood??? The fucking freezing alchemist sets up the story and adds so much when you rewatch it.

FMA 2003 isn't bad (I didn't have any huge problems with it until the horrible ending) but its the fanboys who scream "brotherhood shit!" All the time that ultimately leave the anime itself in a bad light.

Did Mustang kill them in 2003? Because in Brotherhood Scar killed them.

>Who started this meme?
What meme?
Its widely known fact that brotherhood is a better version

Wrong

The ONLY thing 2003 has better than Brotherhood is artstyle

I dropped Brotherhood because of the retarded girly chibi shit.

anyone who says this is the kino fma experience is retarded since 2003 already sets up lategame anime original stuff in the first cour, and there are also subtle differences in characterization and events due to how it is presented in both series.

that also isn't including obvious differences in the visuals and art style.

kino fma is experience is not being a twat and just watching both.

anyways 2003 is god tier and brotherhood is good though the manga is really just a better version of brotherhood story wise. Since it doesn't fuck up the beginning + some small stuff brotherhood leaves out, as well as having better use of the comedy, all that jazz.

2003 has a lot of good points and is a pretty solid series, even on its own. I watched that as first and i enjoyed very much. But come on, Brotherhood is clearly better, in almost (not all tho) every aspect.

The first three episodes are truly better in the 2003 version. First of all they have Liore as the introduction, which is a great first adventure since it introduces some themes that will be relevant later in the story (religion, racism, corrupted governments).
Second, the "flashback episode" is a lot better in 2003 too, it introduces some stuff from the manga earlier on, but it doesn't go overboard like fucking Broho showing the fucking Truth. Also it focuses more on Trisha and her death, making that like half of the episode, in Broho she just dies minutes after she's introduced, I know that's how it was in the manga, but it served a completely different purprose there. The flashback in the manga is more like a recalling of events, it doesn't intend to sell us the brother's emotions of that time, just to throw in some exposition about their past.
Lastly, Broho's first episode is absolute trash, it introduces you to the FMA world in a less exciting way that Liore, Ed's automail reveal sucks, Alphone's empty armor reveal sucks, all of it lacks the intensity present in 2003 and the manga.

Howevr, I must agree with you that it is bs to say that the first couple episodes of 2003 are better than Brotherhood, Broho gets better after episode 4 and it doesn't stop after that, every episode something interesting is happening and you feel the plot going foward fast, unlike 2003's approach of delaying the plot for like 10 episodes by moving Scar and the Elric's encounter.

>damn are people still arguing over which anime is better?

No not really, the massive consensus is that Brotherhood is better overall. Only contrarians sincerely believe otherwise.

Yep.

What meme?

nostagiafags

Almost all seasonal shit is 24 episodes or less. And even fucking Naruto is a "complete story." Newfags coming off of One Piece and Dragon Ball think either is revolutionary and warrants "10/10 best anime ever."

you fucking faggots cant just enjoy anything.

>bumping a thread 30 seconds before it was about to be deleted with a flaming comment """"criticizing"""" everyone for not agreeing
Your post is bait and you should end yourself.

So ignoring the pointless debate over which show is better for a sec, Al in 2003 is a very fascinating with how his arc is presented, he goes through this sort of “reverse development” which is the exact opposite of Edward’s.

Retard.

The biggest flaw in Brotherhood by far is the handling of Edward. He's not the main character. He has no stakes with the villain--no philosophical confrontation. His physical confrontation doesn't really matter either. Ed doesn't feel like a main character. Hohenheim is more of one. Edward had more of a presence in 2003 with multiple characters acting as parallels to him.

Hey Hey Hey How bout you kill yourself?

ITT: Morons who think Brotherhood is better than 2003 even though this fight exists.
nu-Sup Forums's taste everyone
youtube.com/watch?v=yS3Qg1JmKNc

03 is better, who cares if it’s non canon to the manga. 03 is a better story.

UGH that scene gives me an animation erection every time I watch it. The harsh blue lighting, Greed’s design, the use of the camera to emphasize certain moments, the way the fight syncs up with the dramatic music.

Pure Kino.

I dropped brotherhood after like 10 episodes, probably because I had watched 2003, but most of the epic moments of 2003 had been reduced to shit/rushed to hell in brotherhood, i just felt like i was rewatching an inferior version.

I mean, the lab 5 humonculous reveal is fucking replaced by envy going chibi and saying "lol see u later!!!"

I read the manga, and while it was pretty good, i figure brotherhood just got more and more generic shounen with the completly unsatisfying ending of "yeah man we beat the bad guy into submission". 2003's story was much darker and I love darker stories.

one great fight isn't enough to elevate 2003 above all of its other problems that brotherhood doesnt have

2003 has a lot of great qualities, but I think the people saying it had better drama must be mentally 14. The grimdark angst in the second half has the emotional depth of a linkin park music video.

Thematically dark =/= Grimdark

FMA has serious themes about race, war, religion, failure and entropy. All those themes are adequately resolved. It's not pointless. It has actual things that its saying. It’s not dark for the sake of being dark.

>but I think the people saying it had better drama must be mentally 14

Sounds like projection on your part. These days teenagers call everything "edgy" and believe they're mature for hating anything vaguely dark.

"Grimdark" is not literary criticism. It's a buzzword.

End your life

the intro (like first 10 episodes) are better, handle hughes/relationship building better

the music is also better.

both are good anime, brotherhood is better but I wish someone would add in more hughes stuff to the start and add in the music from the original and then it would be perfect.

Oh, also no "I LOVE DOGS!" in brotherhood.

Woah is this Digibro.

As opposed to the dull shounen tripe ending and the hilarious irony of Father that the mangaka herself didn't realize?
Don't get me wrong, I liked the second half, it was fun, Bradley was more of a bad ass but less of a monster, a meh trade off, and it gave me the infinitely fappable Olivia(I've pounded my dick with both fists while imagining her tied up and railing her raw)but it's still fairly adolecent and juvenile.

The 2003 anime is dramatically good in many many places it did fall flat with the reveal of the gate and a few other things. But overall it was a really good story in and of itself.

The biggest crime 2003 commits is mecha Archer making no sense. Otherwise it tackles the themes of the story MUCH better than Brotherhood.
Tighter cast of better developed characters than in Brotherhood (seriously, you can summarize almost all of them with one sentence).
More tonally consistent.
Animated by Bones.
Best opening by Asian Kung Fu Generation
youtube.com/watch?v=ORe7gt-mY14
Better character design. Scar and Hoenheim look retarded in Brotherhood, like someone stretched them out with paper clips.
Better music.
youtube.com/watch?v=VLp_wePNrZA
Ed and Al have a personal stake in the final confrontation as opposed to Brotherhood having them be obliged to stop the bad guy because he's doing a bad thing. Their own goals are completely separate from stopping Father.

Gotta try harder user.

>Also, while it wasn't worth the ending, the concept of homunculi being failed human transmutations was actually really good.
I'd take the 2003 ending over Brotherhood's ending. I really wasn't a fan of them discovering that there was a lake of philosopher's stone below where they lived the whole time. Just nobody knew about it. And as you said, homunculi being failed human transmutations was much better as well.

You're going to have to stop talking about your peepee for 5 minutes while you try to convince everybody how mature you are.

Attached: breasts and catgirls.png (295x156, 5K)

No.
I will bring up my dingaling(lol)any time I damned well please.
And I honestly do not give three quarters of a fuck if you think I'm mature or not.
That has nothing to do with my post.

If your goal was to convince me that the drama in FMA 2003 ISN'T tailored to 14 year olds, randomly including your masturbation fantasies in your post was a bad strategy.

03 definitely is better at direction,art and character building. I remember triss in brotherhood being around for like 40 seconds or some shit before she died. Though the OST are pretty on par. I feel like people that consider 03 complete trash are the same bandwagonners that completely hate SW prequels without providing regurgitated critique they heard from someone else.
>pretty much everything in the second half was bad
I disagree with this. While dante was a pretty shitty antagoinist, so was father in their respective objectives. The second half of 03 introduced 2 great ideas which being the truth of the sins and where the energy for transmutation was even coming from.I
While 03 wasn't better than the manga, it did still have some nice ideas to go with it- only the ending really made it fall kinda flat.
It really doesn't, there are so many things bad with that first episode im amazed you don't see anything wrong with it. First off it pretty much gives it away the nature of bradly rather than the subtle reveal later on he is wrath. Second it poorly introduced the characters, their goals and how transmutation even functioned. And finally your opinion that it "adds so much when you rewatch it" is very shallow, the only thing you see is that bradly and that ice dude were given some slight context on why they acted how they did. Did you even watch the first episode of 03 i wonder?
Well said.

I'm more inclined to believe that he's older than you are since he's not obsessed with being mature.