Why is not common in manga having a writer for the story and let the artist focusing on the drawings...

why is not common in manga having a writer for the story and let the artist focusing on the drawings? it will leverage a lot of effort and stress from the artist and also keep the storytelling consistent.

western comics do it

Attached: anime_1.jpg (2417x1984, 659K)

Japs accept any old garbage writing
Seriously, they don't care. They have no literary culture to speak of.
The west has shakespeare and other genius authors who are praised in schools and extreme flow of ideas between large landmasses of people, even the comic artists are very clever because the competition is so fierce and people learn to expect brilliance when they see written word.

In japan none of that happens. Plus the manga overwhelmingly targets teens who are more interested in their power fantasies being fulfilled. "gear 15 GO, oh look the mc won trough the power of friendship, woo."

>why is not common in manga having a writer for the story and let the artist focusing on the drawings?
Because anybody can draw a manga. All you have to do is work hard.
When the manga is a success and you're getting actual paychecks, you can hire assistants and reduce your workload. But fundamentally, it's something that you can do on your own, without any real prior investment.
That means, there are no rules that everybody follows. Instead, whatever you find works for you, you do.

There are two-man teams with one person responsible for the writing and the other one responsible for the art.
Golgo13 is a famous example of the mangaka not really being in charge of the story (which is prepared for him by his editors, IIRC).
Besides that, there's also hired mangaka who work on established titles and just turn an LN (or whatever) into a manga.
But usually it's just somebody who thinks that he could be a great artist and then he just has a go at it, without looking for somebody else to write a plot for him.

>anybody can draw manga
it's good to know that, we can be Murata too

and what is the reason LN are getting more popular than normal manga? Granted, they are not Shakespeare level of complexity but also they are not Fabio level of storytelling.

Most manga do not look as good as Murata's stuff.
But yeah, with some practice, anybody can draw comics.

It's easy to let a solo mangaka work on his manga and just pay per chapters submitted.
If you start thinking about partner writer you at minimum need to provide minimum wage for him and the manga might not sell any better than a solo mangaka with zero literary education doing all the work.

I think it is cheaper to hire assistants than to hire a pro (or semipro) competent writer. Even if it takes out a lot of work from the mangaka, for the mangaka is just cheaper to hire assistants.

Because that's the culture. People get into it by making doujinshi where there's not much incentive to hire a writer rather than just draw what you like. There is no perceived need for a dedicated writer, so hardly anyone bothers.
My experience of western comics is limited, but it does not suggest they are better written.

Maybe the average superhero comic is poorly written but they have standards unlike in japan where anything goes.
If you talk about the peak of western "comics" theres stuff like Sandman which is just a different league in its production value and writing quality.

>but they have standards
Harhar.
That's why all of DC and Marvel combined sell less than One Piece alone.

>If you talk about the peak of western "comics" theres stuff like Sandman
Why the scare quotes? Yes, Sandman is fantastic. There are also excellent manga like YKK and what have you.
And isn't it the norm for things like newspaper comics to be written and drawn by one person? It's hardly a foreign concept in the US.

>Why the scare quotes?
Is it a comic or a graphic novel.
>newspaper comics to be written and drawn by one person?
I guess but since theres so massive amount of them the cream of the crop tends to bring out really clever comedic writers. Every country in the west has their own newspaper comic artists.

>even the comic artists are very clever because the competition is so fierce
The western comic scene is so dead that even capeshit doesn't sell. It isn't a surprise that most artists are publishing their shit online few pages a week while relying on Patreon (which means licking everyone's asses by drawing requests or at least some sort of work not relevant to your series).

Meanwhile in Japan, countless of monthly and weekly serialization magazines include lots of series, each with around 20 pages, and most of the stuff gets later its own tankobon release. Manga sells so well in general the prices are dirt cheap and its for whatever the age group it tries to target (and even to ones that they might not try to target, but somehow catch the attention).

>graphic novel
That's a meme term like kino.
Don't fall for this nonsense.

It's a comic. "Graphic novel" is just a marketing term because "comic" puts off people who think they're for children and manchildren.
The volume point surely applies to manga as well.

>The volume point surely applies to manga as well.
Not necessarily. If you think about flow of ideas and experimentation japan is very closed system, the same ideas tend to circulate and people jump into mundane popular ideas like Isekai immediately and flood the market.

That's false. If you think isekai controls the market you are simply ignorant.

Call of duty sells well too

I wonder why CoD is used as a negative example.
I don't play those games but are they bad? I imagine the target audience likes them.

Because Call of Duty is literally manufactured to standards. It has no spirit or love, but it's fabricated in the way that will appeal to the widest audience.

Cape-shit, in contrast, is just written by an ever-shrinking circlejerk of nerds who can't leave a dead horse alone. That's where they get their ideas from. That's where they get all their feedback from. And that's why they can't appeal to anyone else. Their "standards" are meaningless.

As opposed to superhero comics?

>Cape-shit, in contrast, is just written by an ever-shrinking circlejerk of nerds who can't leave a dead horse alone
This desu. This is one of the biggest problem with american comics for me and why I do not read may american comics and buy even less.
I can ignore how cape comics use the same characters over and over, the problem is the whole industry is extremely masturbatory, at the end of the day it's comic nerds writing for comic nerds.

Most stupid post I have read in years.
Go to /lit/ and say that again.

Well explain the amount of poorly written japanese media vs the amount of well written japanese media.
If people eat and pay for shit, then shit is produced.

>let the artist focusing on the drawings
Ogure should do so.

Attached: 1521634937932.jpg (1674x1200, 414K)

The west's media is no better.

Stop replying to bait.

I wonder if theres any studies done on the effect of using kanji in a creative process.
It has to be on their mind constantly, the amount of fucking kanji puns in light novels is unacceptable. "oh your name has kanji for god in it so its super ironic something happened"

Do you even speak moon? Because if not you're at the mercy of reading what shitty western anime fans think is cool, which is the generic shounen tripe you're used to

Even artists inevitably have some influence on the story so it's better to have one person doing everything. Editors already leverage a lot anyway.

>so it's better to have one person doing everything.
Not necessarily. Asterix took a notable drop when Goscinny died.
Some people simply can't write very well.

Theres plenty of cases where one hopes the artist had a writer partner.
Prison school
Tsugumomo
Berserk
Eyeshield 21, oh wait he did that.

>western comics do it
western comics are incredibly inconsistent for that exact reason
>If you talk about the peak of western "comics" theres stuff like Sandman which is just a different league in its production value and writing quality.
horseshit. The Climber shits all over Sandman. they're not even comparable.
Rampo will kick your ass you retarded faggot

>kanji puns in light novels
Because puns are the simplest form of comedy that literally everyone with a dictionary can do? They're light novels, you can't tell me you seriously expect Young Adult novels to have stellar writing and comedy either.