This should have ended with L's death...

This should have ended with L's death. They had to make Kira go full retard just so they had a chance of catching him in the time skip.

Attached: ridhosay.blogspot.com-kira.jpg (470x300, 12K)

He was full retard earlier, it just that the things conveniently went always perfect for him in a contrived manner.

>, it just that the things conveniently went always perfect for him in a contrived manner
Oh yes yes, another brainlet failing to understand death note years later forgetting shit and then making dumb statements like this. I'm so sure Misa's entire existence was convenient for him when she's the only reason he got locked up in the first place.

I want underage edgelords to leave.

Welcome to Sup Forums newfren, please check the catalogue for existing threads before making new ones.

>could have ignored Lind L Tailor on tv, instead kills him and gives away that he has a supernatural power and is based in Japan.
>could have avoided any contact with the police, instead makes it obvious that he has access to police information
>could have waited a bit longer before deciding to kill FBI agents, yet goes for the riskiest move and kills them
>gets lucky and gets to the only remaining investigator who also figured out he can kill with methods other than heart attacks
doesn't get caught
>video cameras in house
doesn't get caught
>gets directly confronted by L
doesn't get caught
>gets another death note user who has the eyes, and worships him
>could've been extra careful not to send physical evidence, instead he encourages her to, in an effort to confuse investigators
>she gets caught, he uses death note mechanics to outsmart L
doesn't get caught
>L literally works out the mechanic Light used to pass on the death note, and explains it to the team, and Light agrees with him
doesn't get caught
>Light recovers the death note, and instantly kills the previous user
doesn't get caught
>killings happen again, and it's obvious that there are two note books at this point, just like L worked out, but he didn't try to convince the team of this for some reason
doesn't get caught
>L dies, and all information regarding the case with it
>investigators are heavily dumbed down, and allow Light to be 2nd L
doesn't get caught

>gets put in a position where he needs to trust a literal who from tv, and a celebrity ex-girlfriend
>gets cocky and tries to directly kill his final opponents, risking exposing himself in front of everyone
gets caught

It was a good run, but you can't say things didn't go very conveniently for him, in order to execute the most entertaining elements of the plot; namely the L and Light cat-and-mouse games

So much this.

I'd also add, it was obvious that the right move was to test the 13 day rule.
In fact, for me, the show started going downhill fastwhen all the supernatural elements were revealed to the team, and they were somehow nonchalant about it. Besides the initial scare and shock, it was like:
>okay, so there are metaphysical things in this universe. And it's this shinigami death realm
>and we have this mysterious death note from their realm
>holy shit, this is like the most significant human discovery ever, right? We better think very carefully about this, and not jump to conclusions about anything
nope, lol, let's just read these rules and ask a couple of questions to the shinigami
Light's cleared!

The most tense part about the whole show was the anticipation of the clashing of the supernatural powers with these down-to-earth investigators. Like, how the fuck were they going to deal with this stuff?
But it was pushed aside in favor of moving the story forward quickly, killing L, and introducing the new characters.

Disappointing, but the first arc of the show was great

I'm rewatching it now. How exactly did Near and Mello learn about the Death Note if everything was erased after L's death? All I recall is the plot saying "here's all the info Near obtained after 3 years of independent research". It would literally be impossible for him to learn about the Death Note's existence unless he took part in L's investigation. Much less Mello if they were working separately which the plot suggests they were. OP is right; DN after L's death was a mistake.

I think Near got in contact with a japanese police officer that was at the scene of Higuchi getting captured:
>heard him talking about this notebook that could kill people, and that was Kira's power
Or something like that

Mello, I can't remember. Either he heard about it through a rumor, or somehow got the info from Near.
After Mello got the DN, and learned about the rules, and told Near, then it was kind of clear why the characters existed:
one of them was chaotic, and obtained info in a bombastic and confrontational way
the other was methodical, analytical, evidence-based, and had resources to setup the perfect trap.

It was definitely weaker than the first arc, but I wouldn't say it was a complete mistake. The mistake was how bad the initial investigating team was, and how quickly it rushed into the second arc. At least Near did make mention of this

Oh wow we're doing this again.
>could have ignored Lind L Tailor on tv, instead kills him and gives away that he has a supernatural power and is based in Japan.
It was in character for him to do so, and Japan and the region he was in is fat too large to be tracked down still at this point.
>could have avoided any contact with the police, instead makes it obvious that he has access to police information
Do you realise how many police are in Japan? At this point sure it made him closer to L's reach but end of the day both Light and L knew there needs be actual evidence to be brought down.
>could have waited a bit longer before deciding to kill FBI agents, yet goes for the riskiest move and kills them
Stupid fuck, by killing off all the FBI agents most of the entire task force on the case were afraid of Light and left the case entirely, working in his favour.
>gets lucky and gets to the only remaining investigator who also figured out he can kill with methods other than heart attacks
doesn't get caught
Sure there meet up was coincidental but it's not like he met her in a cafe randomly, he visited the station that he regularly goes too and is known there and she wanted to meet L. This the only time something that light didn't plan for worked in his favour. Her trusting him is completely justified when the police themselves confirmed his identity infront of her and he had info only L would know about the case/
>video cameras in house
Why would he get caught he placed traps to tell if someone played with his room and then ryuk tells him there's a bunch of cameras?
>gets directly confronted by L
Why would he?
>gets another death note user who has the eyes, and worships him
Yeah the same dumb death note user that helped the police identity the supernatural powers more and is the reason Light got locked up and the time it came when she had to give L's name she forgets like a retard and and has to resort to forcing rem to kill L.

1/2

>could've been extra careful not to send physical evidence, instead he encourages her to, in an effort to confuse investigators
She already sent it before he met though, he just failed to make sure she got rid of everything in her apartment like this only proves she was nothing but a nuisance that he had to deal with and favoured L.
>she gets caught, he uses death note mechanics to outsmart L
So where's the problem here?
>L literally works out the mechanic Light used to pass on the death note, and explains it to the team, and Light agrees with him
doesn't get caught
Because it's nothing more than a talk at this point, how the fuck can I take you seriously?
>Light recovers the death note, and instantly kills the previous user
Well when L sees a shinigami, the shit he's been chasing for all this time, you'd think he'd be far more focused on that like anyone who never saw one would and screamed when he saw it like expected, what the fuck are you saying?
>killings happen again, and it's obvious that there are two note books at this point, just like L worked out, but he didn't try to convince the team of this for some reason
doesn't get caught
Because what would that do when he has no tangible proof and would be refuted by light there especially with the new rule he had to throw them off and clear all suspicion on him and Misa.
>L dies, and all information regarding the case with it
Because Light would blatantly found it and deleted it, he clearly had trust put in to mello and near to solve everything that was left and if he try to send anything to them it would blatantly raise alarms for light to be aware of them beforehand.
>investigators are heavily dumbed down, and allow Light to be 2nd L
Because at this point L constantly said Light could be his successor infront of him and once he had his suspicion factually cleared it was a no brainier to let him be the new L in the team.
doesn't get caught
2/2

Just plan all your rewatches so that you stop watching at the end of episode 25.

That's what I did immediately after my first viewing, and now all these years later it feels like a very decent anime.

Light always was a retard. Remember when he thought giving away the fact that he has access to police files was a good idea because that would mean the police would catch L? Or when he killed Raye Penbar?

Attached: 0110.jpg (1726x4472, 1.32M)

>it was obvious that the right move was to test the 13 day rule.
And who would have done that? How would L not know Light was planning for that and was hoping they would die trying? How would Light not just get the guy killed on the day he's supposed to? There are too many variables to try something like that. If the death note is to be treated like real evidence material it can be used to free Light, especially when the deaths on the book match the ones recorded. They could have never locked up Light for that long anyways, eventually he would have been freed if they had nothing.

If it had ended with L's death it would have ended with Light winning and creating a perfect, peacfoul world.

As sad as it is to say this, that would have been unrelatable.

>Remember when he thought giving away the fact that he has access to police files was a good idea because that would mean the police would catch L? Or when he killed Raye Penbar?
>ended up literally becoming L and access to a HUGE database that L had access to and kill off millions of people
If Light was truly a retard like the average person he would have never lasted as long

I'm not saying it was a bad direction for the story. Like you said, a lot of the things he did was in alignment with his character. But on the same line of logic, he was playing a risky game, and would eventually be caught as it got more complicated, which it did.
I think it was bullshit specifically for how he got caught, but I don't think it was a mistake for him to get caught in the end, even if it felt forced, given that a lot of the points where he was close to getting caught, but got let off, were also a tad bit forced.
My point is that the show started out with a very high standard for the details that L and Light were focused on, in order to get clues or avoid getting caught. Sometimes Light got lucky, but a lot of the time he was also ingenious. The problem was as soon as the team got wind of the supernatural elements, it's like they dumbed down significantly, and L was killed off very conveniently and with no follow up backtesting of his theories. It would have left a massive gaping hole from a narrative perspective. The fact that Mello and Near eventually caught wind of the fake rules at least paid homage to L's work.
As disappointing as the second arc is, compared to the experience the first arc, it completed the narrative

Basically what is debated to this day. It would be a boring show if he played it super safe. But he was given an acceptable amount of plot armor for the most part.

That's a good point. They'd need to test it whilst restraining Light and Misa, and doing it with death row inmates that Light wasn't aware of.
I think what was fair was the the way Mello found out about the fake rules, which was also a bit bullshit (new shinigami with loose lips). It was harsh, from Light's perspective, but it was fair in that the supernatural elements had a double-edged sword. That's my argument for the whole show: there was plot armor, and plot bullets, used
effectively to make an entertaining show.

L was going to have a prisoner on death row try it on another prisoner on death row. It would have been interesting to see Light's counter.

my issue is with the autistic nature of the death note

like i can accept the fact that a notebook kills people and operates on some rules, but the sheer number of rules with all of the random specific shit just makes it feel contrived. i'm not going to say i could have written it better, but it feels like the author didn't even try to think of a more acceptable way to work the events he wanted to have into the plot. it feels like he had an idea of where he wanted the story to go but rather than compromise on some aspects of it he just lazily wrote around it with all these stupid rules that he thought of the second he came across some problem in getting his characters in the positions they needed to be for his plot to work

>It would have been interesting to see Light's counter
Random person stepping into this conversation out of nowhere, but we DID see light's counter. Forcing the other shinigami into a corner so it had to act, eliminating both of his major obstacles at once.

That he planned it so far ahead doesn't make it any less of a counter.

Ok, guess I should've said "it would've been interesting to see Light's counter had the plot not conveniently killed off L".

I don't see anything wrong with that. At the very least, they could've shown the flaws of living in a supposedly perfect world, if any.

People's criticisms of DN here are usually mostly correct but I could never hate the second half of this show because of the kino ending. Apart from Light making it super obvious that he was trying to kill them after getting confronted everything about his speech and the execution of that whole ending was good. Whenever I rewatch it it's still moving as fuck. Maybe it's just the soundtrack or that I'm a pleb but I feel like anyone who can't appreciate DN on some level for scenes like this despite its flaws has no soul

>Do you realise how many police are in Japan?
Dumbass, he got on a 100 suspects list just because of that move. There used to be MILLIONS. Light is fucking retarded.

>ended up literally becoming L and access to a HUGE database that L had access to and kill off millions of people
Because 2 shinigami and a plot character (yeah that's pretty much what Misa is) went out of their way to help him. The moment Rem showed up, L had lost. What can he do against an autistic god who'll kill him the moment he notices retarded bimbo is suspicious? The game was rigged

>some retard with a supernatural notebook will significantly change crime on the long run, let alone society/make a perfect society
Kek. Maybe if he manipulated politicians, but he never did because Death Note is stupid.

>They'd need to test it whilst restraining Light and Misa
Come on man, at that point in time the entire team would have refused that, deaths were already happening when Light and Misa was locked up and after all of that even when the rule says it clears them you really think they have jurisdiction to keep them still? If they wanna assume a person can kill by magic they're gonna have to take the magic book as fact too otherwise it just don't make sense. You really think Light's father would agree at that point to lock like light?

And that's where Light got lucky but he also played it very well. More than being able to plan ahead, he was a master manipulator.
After L died, he convinced the team that the shouldn't be following risky, questionable or unorthodox methods to try catch Kira.
Everyone agreed, and the only person who would've disagreed was L, the one who, deep down, didn't trust Light.
L was constantly trying to solve the case with deductive logic and evidence, to follow up on his keen sense in reading people, especially Light. He knew that he could solve it if he went straight for the heart of things.
But the team was content with inductive logic and indirect evidence that seemed to make Light look innocent.

It was an interesting dynamic, which was lost as soon as L died, and you sort of had two lesser Ls trying to compete to fill the avoid. It was probably intentional from a narrative perspective. The author knew the void would never be filled.

Agreed. There were a lot of brilliant scenes, and the ending was a good climax to top it off.
It reminds me of how most people thought the feet-washing thing was some homoerotic fanservice. On one level, humorously, maybe yes. But the real symbolism was Jesus washing the feet of the disciple that ended up betraying him, and all the implications you can draw from that

Fair enough. I guess that's why L had to be killed from Kira's perspective. L was willing to push the limits to get to the truth

>Come on man, at that point in time the entire team would have refused that
The team was L's biggest threat, not Light. This and plot induced amnesia.
>let's free Misa because we found another Kira that isn't her who also got killed by another Kira and her having been proven to be a Kira at least in the past
>yeah, don't put cameras in her home like when we planted hundreds in Light's house, not even one!

>he was a master manipulator
How? Plotshield Misa will do literally everything he wants, and Rem wants to protect Misa, so all he had to do was tell Misa to act retarded to get noticed by L. That's the extent of his master plan. That's the world class genius.

>e Light's counter had the plot not conveniently killed off L"
I don't get it, it made sense for Light to get L outta the way quickly after he bought himself some time.

>Because 2 shinigami and a plot character (yeah that's pretty much what Misa is) went out of their way to help him
Stupid fucker that user already tells you how Misa ruined him and made shit worse for Light but Ill tell you myself
>literally allows L to know more on how the powers worked
>fucks up on cleaning her apartment and gets them both locked up
>she then even forgets L's name at the end and forces light on the other forceful plan.

If Misa wasn't around Light could have worked at his own pace without giving them anything to lock him up for

Without Misa Light would have hit a wall and the story would have stopped until L decided to restrain him or something.

>Rem wants to protect Misa, so all he had to do was tell Misa to act retarded to get noticed by L

I barely remember the specifics of DN so I shouldn't really be arguing about it, but if he had just told her to act retarded to get noticed by L then wouldn't Rem hear that? I mean even though Rem knew Light was manipulative, just straight up saying that is too risky

>her having been proven to be a Kira at least in the past
You mean either be kira or worked with him which could easily result to being threatened with her life to send the tapes. There's no facts that can be said she wasn't a victim and after careful study of her the past months there's no way L could possible assume she was nothing but a used tool. If they wanna play by magic rules they gotta accept it too, they can't keep her when the other kira is killing still and the only thing they have is that she had a connection.
>yeah, don't put cameras in her home like when we planted hundreds in Light's house, not even one!
Because in lights situation they had nothing but suspecting Light, with Misa after, they had a shinigami and a death note to work on which clearly required their focus rather than a chick they had on watch for months and blatantly proved to be worthless, especially when she has been outside a lot and nothing still.

Try again

Have you ever thought that maybe, just maybe, the writing isn't the strong suit of Death Note

this goes back to what I mentioned here As soon as things got more complicated, the world had to dumb down or go Light's way for a while, otherwise he would just get caught in an anticlimatic end.

Earlier in the show, like when it was 1v1 with Light vs L, or Light vs a single investigator, Light had to work much harder to manipulate the people around him.
Specifically that Ray Penbar's fiancé. I agree he had plot armor back then too, but it was fucking intense to see how he'd talk himself out of some of those scenarios, and it was somewhat impressive.
As things got more complicated, and it was on an organizational level, as has been mentioned before, things had to dumb down a bit else it would have been a dead end for Light.
The show worked very well when it was simpler, but as it got more complicated, Light was given more free passes like you mentioned.
Right from the get go, when Rem said he would kill Light if Misa gets harmed by him, he knew he had to kill Rem. He was even thinking about it the moment he learned how to kill a shinigami. So he figured that Rem would protect her no matter what. So he did keep that in mind from the moment he gave up ownership of the notebook.
That's why, in one way, it was ingenious; even if he was given a lot of slack when he basically got rid of all his obstacles, in order for the show to progress to the next arc.

>Without Misa Light would have hit a wall
Really? Light would have gradually joined the force anyways as an adult. He was gonna get close to L either way without the Misa interference making things complicated.

>You mean either be kira or worked with him
That's close enough to put cameras in her house or monitor her at all times especially when they know Kira needs to write on a notebook meaning they could prove her innocence, dumbass

There's literally no way to defend this writing, Death Note is garbage sometimes

>get in the force
>get close to L
>hit a wall because no one will give you his name
>end

not him but I really feel like I remember L saying something about keeping her under surveillance anyways. Are you sure nothing like that was mentioned?

He told her to go Kira right after her release

Yeah but that's different than saying "act retarded so you get caught and Rem has to kill L for me"

I mean it's pretty obvious, you don't need to be a genius to see it.

The point is you retard they already had her thoroughly monitored and even gave her leeway when she was outside and still nothing came out. There is no justification for cameras after all of this and the rule.
>when they know Kira needs to write on a notebook
You mean the same kira that was already killing when she was locked up for ages and was monitored the whole time and bodies still dropped? Then the Kira died and another Kira was still killing even when the rules on the notebook state she can't have been an actual Kira? You're just waffling bullshit here, L did enough study on Misa and wanted to focus on shit that was far more pressing, you know the whole reason how Kira can actually kill? He he had no reason to bother with Misa after all of this.

>>hit a wall because no one will give you his name
Why you assuming there's not other possibilities for him to have killed L? How do you know at last resort he wouldn't asked for the eyes if nothing else was helping him?

Even in the canon story he didn't rely on a name to kill L. You're just saying he has a wall closed because you want to believe so.

He's right though. The series stalled after that and never picked itself up again.