I'm trying to make a level for a project I'm working on. Is there anything I could do to improve this scene?

I'm trying to make a level for a project I'm working on. Is there anything I could do to improve this scene?

More pretentiousness

have you thought about where it is you are asking this question?

could use a few more anime dick girls

Yea, a place where I can get criticism and help me realize that I need to improve. It's always effective.

well if this is design thread/general, i recommend listening to dev commentary. both MGS2 and The Orange Box i recall having some neat commentary.

As for quick tips, list what is crucial, important and removeable in a part of the game, then work on all the essential items first before thinking about fancy textures and knick knacks

the thing about interior design is that we always put stuff against the walls, resulting in shallow, empty rooms

look at the room you're standing in, you probably don't have that much space right in the center of it

i know that putting stuff there makes it harder for the characters to navigate the rooms, but it literally gives them life

a few good objects here and there tell a lot about who lives in that place, what usually happens and so on

also, obviously, the room needs better lightning

Just steal everything from Alone in the dark. Because that's what this is looking like.

On a more positive note, chandeliers/ceiling fans do wonders.

Really good suggestion! The room, however, is supposed to have that type of lighting. All of the overhead lights are supposed to be off. I also want it to have a "creepy grandma's house" feel to it.

Then put the lights in the room, and then break them. Broken objects make a room too.

Never realized how similar it was. I'll see about putting a ceiling fan in.

have you thought about chandeliers? some candles, even if they're not lit, do say a lot.

also, if you're looking for that kind of vibe, I suggest you take a look at the house seen in the game "scratches". you can freely explore it right at the beginning of the game and it looks amazing. It could be a great source of inspiration!

Find a properly proportioned rug texture and trim the white off of it

Your scaling is WAY off. There's too much space, and your texel density is horrendous.

Try adding wall trim for a start.

yea, I never really liked the rug. I was just using it as a placeholder.

This looks really nice. The attention to detail is really good.

A few chairs wouldn't go astray.

Put some stuff on the table/drawers, things that add flavor about who lived there. Are they fond of drink, put a whiskey bottle there. Are they creative, put an inkwell and paper. Maybe some kind of instrument - a piano would make a good centre piece and stop the room from feeling so empty.

Also, out a picture of Iwata behind the bookcase. No one will ever see it but you'll know it's there.

Don't listen to this man, he'll make the room 'nice' and 'liveable'. You don't want that shit. You want some creepy shit, am I right?

So we're going to take his precious fucking chairs and tables, and break them. Put half of them in the room, somewhere where that asshole of a protagonists is going to trip over that shit like the fuck he is. Put the other half outside or some shit, who cares?

Do put some booze in there, though. Everyone loves booze.

don't listen to this guy

a little detail out of place in an otherwise perfect location can be a thousand times creepier than a smashed room without reason

Don't listen to this man, he's being way to obvious. You walk in to a room and there's broken shit everywhere - it's a lazy way to convey that shit went down. If an area is nice and livable, but with some subtle shit off, that's what makes something creepy. Maybe a few stains on the wallpaper, a creaky floorboard, a single book having fallen off the bookshelf. That's how you create atmosphere.

That, and booze.

I didn't say smash the entire room up, just smash your shitty ideas up. My ideas were fucking perfect, and the only thing you contributed was 1 bottle of booze.

Oh, that reminds me, barrels are an all-purpose furniture piece. Use them when you don't know what else people should put their shit on.

Don't-listen-to-this-manmind

Both rooms could be a bit smaller, also some furniture like a couch and a seat could help. Make sure you have some object on a table or something to show that the rrom is actually being used.

Barrels?

Who has barrels in their house?

I have a fucking barrel in my house, that's who. You don't?

Maybe you could put some of those old fashioned over some of the windows. if you want some extra creepiness you could make one bang at a certain interval.

Unfortunately, no. Don't get me wrong, I love barrels, it's just that I don't really think they're a common thing to have in houses. I've never been in a house with barrels.Maybe I should get one.

Are you living under a bridge by any chance?

You need a fireplace with two armchairs, and a big nice wooden table in the middle with wooden chairs and soft cushions on it

I do

Yea you fucking should, they're awesome.

No, I'm living in a house, so I can afford to keep around kick ass things like barrels and two (2) bottles of booze.

Two (2) whole bottles?

Wow, living the high life aren't you.

Also, put a stuffed head on the wall. Something weird like a horse or a person. Have a squid in a tank.

But would you keep a barrel in your living room, if so what kind of barrel?

Put some mouldings where the wall meets the floor. Looks kinda off without them.

Obviously one that's been aging whiskey or such, to bring that air into the room. Maybe a keg instead, if you entertain guests regularly for long periods.

Two bottles with anything in them. You run out quite fast if you don't have barrels full of liquor.

You sure you don't have one of these instead?

No, smartass, it's wood, it's heavy, and it's beautiful. In an aesthetic sense. I mean, it's lovely in a room, but it's not going to be the next Miss America, you know what I mean? I'd tap that, but I'm not tapping that tapping that, wink wink, say no more.