Looking to start playing the Dark Souls series, I've heard very good things. What games does Sup Forums recommend?

Looking to start playing the Dark Souls series, I've heard very good things. What games does Sup Forums recommend?

Should I start at DS1? What's the deal with Demon Souls and is it worth playing? What's the deal with the Prepare To Die edition and is it worth bothering with? Assume I know nothing except the general idea of the games and that the first was supposedly the best.

Play Demons, then Dark, then Bloodborne. In that order.

If you need more, then play D3 and then d2 if you're really desperate for more.

If that hasn't finished scratching your itch, then play the kings field series.

Play them all in order of release

Its the only way you'll understand anything about the series

Play the first half of Dark Souls 1 and then stop. Everything else is basically Demon's Souls.

play dark souls 1, then 2 (scholar of the first sin, for the packed in DLC, graphics and new enemy placemeny) and then 3.

People will say demons is the best, its a fine game but mechanically is dated, graphically is horrible. Lots of nostalgia around this game.

Play DaS1, then DaS3, then BB, in that order.

If you're in love with it after that, go back and play DeS.

Dont touch DaS2

This is the definitive answer for newcomers.

Play them in order of release including Bloodborne if possible. Form your own opinion of them and stay away from Sup Forums. Don't use a guide to fully walk-through the game but don't be afraid to check a wiki for some things you don't understand.

Can't seem to find Demon Souls on Steam, is it even worth going through all the peasant bullshit to play Demon Souls outside of Steam? Because that doesn't sound appealing to me.

So you recommend Demon Souls then?

Awesome, thanks, but what do you lost me in the parentheses.

Oh, and how graphically demanding are these games? Not got the best PC, pooranon here. How demanding compared to, say, Black Ops? (Yes I've played BlOps on PC, no I wouldn't recommend it).

But BloodBourne isn't part of the DarkSouls series, is it?

>is it even worth going through all the peasant bullshit

If you're too poor to afford a console then just skip it and play Dark Souls. Then again, you wont be able to play Bloodborne either.

It's just a name. The game is exactly the same shit, albeit one of the best.

there is dark souls 2 and dark souls 2: scholar of the first sin. SOTFS is a re-release of 2 with updated graphics, all dlc included and new graphics and online.

The DS are not demanding at all. However Dark souls on steam is badly ported and requires a mod called DS fix to work well. Its literally just a text file you move to the directory and change a few settings. takes like 5 minutes and is worth it. I also recommend playing with a controller. (xbox 360 for best compatibility.)

Thanks, you've been a great help, I'll be heading out now. General Dark Souls thread?

Part of the souls series? Not in story and theme, no. In almost every other way, yes. It's also widely considered one of the best in the bunch.

It's essentially Dark Souls with faster combat, darker theme, guns instead of shields (but it's used as a parry weapon in the left hand, so you still have a right handed melee), and an advancement system for end-game.

i'm replaying DaSI on PC for the first time after playing it a few times on PS3

does DSfix disable online play? i can make summon and orange signs, but i literally see zero orange signs from other players anywhere in my game. is it just dead because it's an old installment? maybe i should try invading

what do you think of her?

i think the servers have been down for a few weeks. DSfix doenst break anything.

bandai knows of the issue but i think they are too busy with ds3 to fix it so far. researching into it, they have been up and down for a while now, i dont see bandai shutting down the servers so soon after recently moving it to steamworks.

yeah, i see zero signs. will try again later

The answer is pretty easy:

>Dark Souls 1: Prepare to Die Edition
Its basically Dark Souls 1 + DLC. It's the PC edition.
Shit p2p online, needs a remaster. Also you need a mod (Dsfix) to change the display resolution. The first 70% of the game until Anor Londo is a masterpiece of design, the last segment is more linear and rushed. The DLC is a masterpiece.

>Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin
Dark Souls 2 after a year of patches, DX11, better graphics, Miyazaki (director of Das1 and Das3) helping rearranging the enemy placement, etc. etc. + the 3 DLC's (which are in my opinion the best segments of any souls game to date). The base game is the worst of the 3 though, still a solid 8/10 today if you but the final edition. Don't fall for the reddit memes. It's a bizarre adventure with some good mechanics, like dual wielding, that makes it unique among the souls games, and it has the DLC's.
Best online.

>Dark Souls 3
The last in the trilogy, it's as good as DaS1, probably better, and it still has 2 DLC's to come (DLC are usually the best parts of these games). Its linear as fuck though and the online is half broken at the moment. But in 1 year it'll probably surpass Das2.

In all 3 cases you'll need a proper contoler (Xbox). Don't use guide on first playthrough. Try to use the online component if you're stuck to help others, and see how they do. Do some PVP, invasiosn, etc., it's fun. Probably easier in Das2 though, in Das1 is really difficult and need too many mods because it doesnt have online support.

tl;dr: das1 > das1 dlc > das2 > das2 dlc's > das3...

If you have a PlayStation you can also try Bloodborne or Demon's Souls, they're not on PC, but they don't belong to the Dark Souls series anyways, they are only related in their gameplay mechanics.

Demon's Souls if you own a PS3, if not it's not required but a good game so I'd always recommend it. Then Dark Souls 1 and then 2 (2 isn't a bad game despite what the shitposters would tell you, it's just not as good as 1 or DeS but still a good game) and then Bloodborne if you own a PS4. If not then go onto Dark Souls 3.

And there is a precisely 0% chance Demon's Souls and Bloodborne will ever be available on a non-Sony platform so if you're desperate to play them then you'll need to bite and get a PS3 and PS4.

Miyazaki had nothing to do with SotFS though, that was Tanimura getting full creative control after the clusterfuck that was DaS2's development. Other than that your list is pretty good.

Google is your fucking friend.

>online is half broken at the moment

The online is every souls game has been broken. DaS1's never got fixed, with some Covenants being absolutely unusable (Gravelord).

DS3 on the other hand, auto-summon covenants (farron, aldrich, blue\blades) either work just fine, or don't work at all - its luck of the draw. Whereas everything else works just fine. Red Eye invasions however seem wonky - you should be able to invade as a farron\aldrich and get your reward, considering you can invade as a sunbro and get a medal, or a grape and get a shackle. It seems dumb as fuck to do one and not the other.

DS2's online works, but the retarded souls memory system gimps it considerably.

DS1's online is dead, from what it seems.

>Should I start at DS1?
Why do people keep asking this? Yes of course you should. That's the entire purpose of enumerating things. Is that such a hard concept to grasp?

This motherfucker Souls Troll/Shill thread.

The online still works but is a little messed up.
Get the Dark Souls Connectivity Mod and add a couple recent codes from the steam thread. Give it a few minutes and you should be at 20 nodes.

oh, alright. thanks for the information