I'm fucking tired of hexagons

Why does every fucking game have hexagons? The most recent example is Doom, just check out the map screen, it's disgusting.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ljLa-gXAaHQ?t=178
youtube.com/watch?v=W0Xc_XRyH48
youtube.com/watch?v=wFv6SCKIQPg
youtube.com/watch?v=jjdl2Yp6rxk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

hey tile guy

heard u talkin shit

AWWWWW SHIIIIET YOU DUN JUST PISSED OFF A FUCKIN BEE BRAH THOSE FUCKERS GONAN BRING ALL DERE BROS TO FUCK YOU UP

>I'm mad at shapes

Its an easy way to make things look futuristic.
Just calm your autism

too edgy for you?

What are some games that do hexagons right?

I think the way the are used for Covenant faction stuff in the halo games is good

The honest answer is: It is the strongest most durable shape, all future materials have this for that reason.

6 is the maximum amount of sides you can give a polygon and still tile it perfectly.

wow bees are posting on Sup Forums now? BEES

>we want the tile fetish audience

>The most recent example is Doom
Doom always had hexagons tho, so fuck you.

Never play super hexagon.

that game's for squares

Hexagons are the future

>I'm mad at shapes

Post >yfw blizzard launches a hexagon server instead of vanilla

It's the strongest shape. It's the shape that has the biggest area while fitting neatly together.
Why do you think bees make their hives out of them?

OP is right though.

It's a fucking lazy and uncreative way to say "hey, look it's the future". Everyone does it and its getting boring as shit. Either take your time and read a book about futurology and architecture or consult with someone who did or fuck off and don't force your creative bankruptcy on me

they got high on mescaline and though that shape looked dope.

>i hate things
Sup Forums

When fucking shapes start triggering you, that's when you know you've gone off the deep end.

I want to ______ those shapes!

fucking shapes REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>look it up
>hexagons are really great
>but I can't use them because it's a cliche now

Fuck right off

FUCKING HEXAGONS REEEEEEEEEEE

So this is gonna be the next meme.

Hexagonal pattern is structurally strongest, you bloody uneducated shit

It's so games can use it as a buzzword and appeal to idiots that think they are somehow more tactical or some shit.

Your are doing it wrong user.

Is the the birth of an new epic meme?

HOLY FUCK someone finally said it

Hexagons are so fucking boring, they always just tessellate the same way, what about some other fucking shapes for once. Look at this fucking shit here, this is just pentagons and already you can do all kinds of variations, imagine if you did other shapes too. Fucking money-grubbing execs with their too-small chimp brains who can't comprehend anything unless it has six sides

DELETE THIS

Hexes are pretty cool though

I would still rate that less crazy than being aroused by them.

Tileanon is going to track you down and kill you.
Come back tileman
i miss you

>autism is now accepted as normal as gay marriage

how this happened?

Ask this guy. He seems to be in love.

because slapping a exagon tiling overlay on generic textures the easiest way to turn a game futuristic

also heard someone say it's easier to render them for some reason but it was on a Sup Forums thread so he was most likely talking out his ass

When the majority of people fit into a category you have to consider that the norm, and people outside the category as the strange ones.

>tile guy
Oh lordy

Did you know?

The country of France is also called "l'Hexagone", due to its hexagonal shape.

>City of the future.jpg

just needs a piss filter is all

funny how they leave out Corsica

homm3 use hexagons well

ITT we trigger shapesists

Bottom right.

>hexagons are futuristic
Consolefags, everybody

You can't tile those.

It was supposed to be Italian but then the french bought it or something.
Kinda like Alaska with the US.

You dun goofed

planetside 2 had really good use of PBR type of materialization, for example the vanu weapons had the hexagon layer as a seperate layer, meaning that it was more diffuse/specular in the weapon and you could only see it when directly exposed to a light

youtu.be/ljLa-gXAaHQ?t=178

youtube.com/watch?v=W0Xc_XRyH48

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Because mathematically hexagon is perfect shape for material dispersion. There is a reason why soap bubbles form hexagons, or volcanic crystal, or bees hives etc.

>game is made of and limited by hexagonals

>Because mathematically hexagon is perfect shape for material dispersion
But only if all the material are of a regular size. They form an irregular circle packing when the sizes are unequal.

And in 3d dimensions the shape of soap bubbles and foam is more of a Weire Phelan structure or 3d voronoi.

>wanting to be french
kek

>Weire Phelan structure or 3d voronoi.
>look up what are these
that's cool

I am now much more aware of the prominence of the hexagon in gaming. Thanks, OP.

>goes to anime for hexagons
>doesn't post NGE
Times have changed.

Un Caliphate de l'Hexagone has a good ring to it.

Un Caliphate d'Omelette Du Fromage rings even better.

I just recalled accidentally stumbling upon Sup Forums archives and someone also complaining about hexagons in Ars Nova there.

Who said you couldn't learn shit from Sup Forums.

That sounds fun.

Would live there. Just no onions please, they make me fart something awful.

youtube.com/watch?v=wFv6SCKIQPg

SUPER

They are French if they want it or not. Their whole mentality and attitude is French as fuck.

Is this... The power of the twenty first century? That I, on acid, could read someone literally thinking that mathematically, six is the highest number of sides polygons can have to tile them evenly, from my phone, in the woods? How the fuck can you possibly have told this many people you can't do basic math and feel alright about it?

>City of the future
>Constantly turning when trying to drive in a straight line
Kill me

Think positive. There isn't a single traffic light in the city! You'll never be stuck in a traffic jam!

/bees/ bring it back Jap moot

How functional is the city?

Also do you have a hexagon-shaped subway system too?

Completely functional. This is the most crowded area in the middle.

>hexagon-shaped subway system
No. It's a mess and I'm ashamed of it. Complete spaghetti. Every time I've tried to restructure it, it worked worse than before.

Did someone mention hexagons?

Man I can never wrap my head around wargames on PC. I can play board game wargames just fine. On PC they're just too detailed for me.

There's a lot of micromanagement, especially in bigger scenarios, I'll give you that.

>tfw hundreds of skeletons lost to one fucking red dragon

Fix your subway network please.

>Why does every fucking game have hexagons?

Listen, man. Did you know that, like, six is the most common number? Yeah, even more than one... or zero... or seventy-seven. Aaaand, it has a hidden, mysterious meaning... did you know that?

Listen carefully now... Actually, no, don't listen, look around you and tell me what do you see? Actually, don't tell me anything. Listen, because I'll tell you. You see sixes! Everything is in sixes, man!

Look - flies. How many legs do they have? Six! Go to Foundry, look at the ground. You'll see a lot of sixes! Core City, the pavement... Six! Hexagon, city in North Underrail? Six again! Why is the sixth sense so special? Because six is a special number, therefore... six!

>That fucking held line
They held the line dammit
They held the line!

Hexagons are just an enjoyable pattern to look at.

...just look at those hexagons

>play Wipeout HD
>look at the track in photo mode
>hexagons fucking everywhere

There was even a greenhouse that was made up of big hexagons. The hexagons consisted of smaller hexagons

OCTAGON

youtube.com/watch?v=jjdl2Yp6rxk

I could go for some cake right about now

Yes, on a 2d plane using the same sized polygon

S-sorry. But I'd rather just start a new city. This time with tunneled highways. I wanted to use those anyway but they weren't patched in when I started that city.

>Yellow hexagons

Yikes

I agree with OP. They should really be using Voronoi cell generation with local seed density based on terrain difficulty. Not hard.