Stellaris has been out for a week now. What do you guys think of it?

Stellaris has been out for a week now. What do you guys think of it?

I think it's an okay game right now, potential is there but it's lacking basic features

>Construction ships can't auto build
>Science ships can't auto survey
>Can't upgrade every single building on a planet
>Too much irrelevant micromanaging in early game
>No map modes
>Religion isn't really important
>Corvettes are OP
>No way to see the casualties in a battle
>Blobbing is easy because the AI isn't smart enough to band together to stop the player
>Mid-late game is pretty boring because of the snowball effect
>Food doesn't do anything
>No slavery
>What happens to your leaders has almost zero impact on the game
>Your type of government doesn't really mean anything
>Your empire will always have perfect internal stability

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/groups/vgstellaris
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>No slavery

I meant, "no slave trade"

Game is only good with human multiplayer.

steamcommunity.com/groups/vgstellaris

This asshole has been insulting me every 5 or so years all because he's butthurt that I'm literally all around him but I can't kill him because he's allied to like 5 god damned nations. Fuck this asshole.

Bad combat system
Bad diplomacy
Bad, cheating A.I.
Gets boring fast
Sucks ass

Forgot pic.

>Stellaris has been out for a week now. What do you guys think of it?
No endgame content. Stellaris has the exact same problem as Endless Space; once the initial exploration phase wears off and borders get set up you might as well throw all you think about your race out of the window because there's nothing to do in the game apart from military conquest, even if you're playing a xenophile pacifist. This wouldn't be so bad if the game had actual diplomacy and domestic politics that weren't shallow as fuck.

Militaristic expansion itself is extremely slow due to limits of warscore system, not to mention integration of whole empires takes 50 fucking in-game years and you can only do it to one empire at a time even if you had extra influence to spare. After the exploration phase is over and you've become a local major power (all your neighbors are Inferior / Pathetic and possibly vassalized) most of your game time will be spent doing nothing but inflating your deathstack and waiting for researches to complete, hoping that at some point a galactic crisis triggers so there's actually something to do.

Compared to previous Paradox games there aren't that many roleplaying opportunities either, because events disappear almost completely after the exploration phase is over.
What comes to actual battles, empire management and other gameplay mechanics; it's basically just a more accessible, more shallow Distant Worlds.

It's pretty good now, and will only get better in due time like most Paradox games.

I'm in a bit of a pickle on my current game though..

>game beginning, see tech to upgrade from tier 1 fission cores on spacecraft.
>meh, I need Torpedoes first.

500 years later

>have defeated 2 other Empires and now The Scourge is invading my backside
>everything is still powered by tier 1 Fission cores
>the entire Battleship lower fittings is Fission cores and one small advanced shield.
>no armor technology has appeared either.
>my Admirals face when we keep sending the Fleet shit to get the heavy lifting done.

They need to remove sectors and add different methods of automation if they want this game to succeed in the long run.

How do I uplift a race? Found another Sol and the earth is swarmed with roaches, I want to integrate them.

Need super science shit like dyson spheres and planet destruction devices (coming as DLC), and yeah having auto survey and auto building would be great.

that or make sectors not fucking shitty

you need to research the technology that allows you to uplift

>fotm as fuck
>constant viral marketing on front page of Sup Forums
>mods still havent banned these shills
>/vg/ made specifically for this reason
>shills still feel the direct need to viral their shitty fotm strategy game on front page every hour on the hour

Update.

Took out my anger on another small empire that has no alliances.

It's k though because he didn't like me either. Motherfucker shouldn't have been talkin' shit.

Is there any reason to play a pacifist empire if the only victory conditions are conquest and domination?

It makes sense in Civ because that game has science and culture victories but this game doesn't.

Yes I have it, but how do I use it?

Not really. I'm struggling to finish my pacifist game currently, you just run out of stuff to do when everything is colonized. I'm just bored.

>Is there any reason to play a pacifist empire
No, and it's not just because of victory conditions. After all free space gets colonized there is literally nothing to do in Stellaris apart from military conquest, unless you like twiddling you thumbs around while waiting for research to finish. After exploration is over even the empire roleplay events dry to nothingness.

Warp, Hyperspace or Wormhole travel?

Wormhole because warp is versatile but fucking slown and hypersoace is along lanes and fast.

Having research alternatives is a godsend, I never have trouble getting the options to get techs I want. My only complaint is that eventually my tech clogs up with obsolete stuff, like when I'm getting T4 advanced plasma and industry is still telling me I need to discover the wonders of T1 nuclear missiles.

It's not so bad because by that time T1 techs are cheap enough to complete in a few months, but they seem to clog up space on my tech lists.

>talking about new video games is shilling

Wormhole > Warp. Never use Hyperspace Lanes unless you force everyone to use it, then its okay/fun.

>Corvettes are OP

I must be doing something wrong because mine drop like flies and so does the enemy's. After a while only the big boys are left.

Did anyone get the Nova version? Have you made your glorious spider overlords yet?

Warp is the easiest and best, imo. Might require an expensive module, but you have a pretty wide range of planets to jump from and and chase targets pretty easy too.

Wormhole is ok too, it does tie you to wormhole stations which need defense, but it's pretty quick and great for defensive play. Also, your ships get a little extra power for not needing an upgraded drive.

Hyperlane is pretty bad for being inflexible, a lot of times you'll find your fleet outmaneuvered by opponents and be forced to split into smaller ones to engage them. Works fine on the offensive though since it's pretty quick to leave the system and most of the times you're going to hop to all of them sequentially anyway.

Go to the general on and download the portraits yourself friend

>What do you guys think of it?

It's a standard Paradox release: beta version at full price. It'll be okay in two years when we have $300 worth of DLC to make the game actually playable.

I have given up on this game until they fix warscore. I will not go to war with the same nation 6 times to get control of their planets, and I will not wait 100 fucking years to integrate a vassal state.

>100 fucking years
Jesus, it goes even higher than 50 years with bigger vassals? Bravo Paradox, you created a game where there's nothing to do but military expansion while actively making it as slow as possible.

Hyperspace. Gotta explore entire galaxy before engine even settles their first colony.

>autocorrecting "anyone" into "engine"
Sasuga, android-chan.

I like the random tech idea, but it can fuck you.

I've got tech 3 torpedoes, the highest level shields, crystal armor, psi-computers

And the game refuses to give me tech 2 reactors, so I can't fit jack shit on my ships.

The whole game is filled with so many little broken bits that I think I'm just going to go back to Distant Worlds

That's the thing, I think the game is punishing me for not doing it the first time it popped up.. I have a 5 on the research alternatives, but power core & armor techs haven't reappeared since their first pass.

So many casualties just because I didn't say yes...

Uplifting and Technological Enlightment are my favourite features right now. My technocratic space penguins rule those primitives like gods.

>play as a fanatic materialist
>get robot tech later than battleships
Should I kill fallen empires before starting a robot uprising or after? I'm so fucking bored.

uplift only works on primitive races BEFORE a certain point of development. If they are already into the iron age or whatever, they are too far developed for it.

The game is barebones as can be. I think its funny they don't let you automate the science and construction vessels because otherwise the game would be very boring. This game needs 300 dollars worth of dlc to save it or cool mods like star wars, star trek, unversal gundam stuff

Literally what the fuck am I supposed to do now though?

Both of the nations right of me are my vassals soon-to-be-intergrated states and

On the top right and top left of my boarders I have two fucking fallen empires breathing down my neck so I can't expand that way.

The people in front of me have joined a massive alliance/federation so if I go to war with even one of them I'm effectively fighting half of the god damned galaxy at once and the best part is that if you look to the opposite side of the galaxy I'm on you can see a massive nation forming and it's destroying anything it touches. I don't know how i'm going to stop that shit if it starts warring with the alliance.

>talking about video games
>on Sup Forums
Fucking shills get off my board, reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Really dropping the ball on those pics today.

It feels like a third of a game

The cancer of Sup Forums is all the waifu fags that make threads to jerk off 2.

I'm pretty sure it is bugged. I'm having the same problem as you. I used the techweights phys console command and tech 2 reactors are BY FAR the highest weighted, but after using techupdate 100+ times I haven't gotten it to pop up a single time.

It's broken.

Jesus that is nuts.

What do you mean corvettes are OP?

>Gundam stuff

That would be really fun to play with. Customizable giant mech units in space vs other similar units, energy/crystal beings, etc.

Maybe it'd be a good mod idea.

he's talking about how small ships have more evasion, and stacking evasion with good engines makes them nearly impossible to hit.

Too easy right now

How do you feel about the upcoming patch changes?

Serious question, how similar is this to Sins of a solar empire? That's one of my favorite games.

Could be pretty good. Let's just hope they actually pull through

it's like a terrible economy oriented saucer with hardcounters everywhere

Damn... just goes to show, don't say no to the necessities.

Now.. do I restart or just keep throwing under prepared fleets to their doom for my glorious underpowered Empire?

Huh, I have only gotten to my third engine upgrade so I haven't been able to test them on corvettes so much.
Almost everything mentioned should of been in the base game. This is my first Paradox game so I didn't think that it would be lacking so much.

I'm restarting

Luckily the first 10 or so hours of the game are the most fun, so I'm alright with that

I feel retarded, but how do i install mods in a pirated version?

Yup.

May the RNG gods smile upon you.

documents/paradox/stellaris make a mods folder and put them there

nice "game"

>>Religion isn't really important
That's an odd way of saying that there is no religion feature in the game.

I already did that and only white names and potraits mods seem to work, any other refuses to appear in the list.

do they have a .mod file?

descriptor.mod

What can I do if the only way out of my arm of the galaxy is blocked by an empire that hates me for "border tension"? I tried declaring war but the AI wipes me out with much less fleet power, I don't know what to do.

> Made fleet of 50 chevies, 20 DD's, 10 CA's and 3 BB's
> Concentrating on evasion and armour
> Unbidden spawned, the fleet arrived first
> First month of battle
> 48, 20, 0, 3

Why are cruisers made out of shit?

This is why you don't use hyperlanes

Too big to dodge, too weak to tank

Is there any reason to make them? Like anti rocket platforms or something?

I'm no using hyperlanes, I use warp but it's a spiral galaxy. I took over my entire arm of the galaxy, created stations in every system, etc. so there's nothing left for me to do in that part of space.

does it make any sense to attack early in the game? Some times I come against pacifist races early on and usually I have a military backround, is it possible to crush someone early so they don't expand near you?

Since my last civ was a complete failure I started from scratch and made sure to expand slowly this time.

I wanted to crush and enslave the surrounding races before they got big but my neighbor keeps staying just barely ahead of me in military tech.

I still don't really understand how weaponry works.

Alliance is the key.

Stop bein a bitch nigga and shank him then

They don't expand when they're the dirt. They get expanded on.

Do it.

I sent in a 12K fleet, got rekt by his 7K. And he had more coming to destroy my shipyards. I don't know what to do, I can either spend another hour waiting for all my shipyards to upgrade so I can build another fleet or I can start a new game and do all the boring shit all over again to get to late game tech.

The randomized tech is pissing me off, they need to do something about that. I have 27 planets to manage and have only gotten two tile block removers researched.
Also my last race found the tree of life and got immortality within the first couple of years. This time I haven't seen anything even remotely like it, so they just keep dying at 60+.

Tech doesn't matter. Just build shitton of corvette and destroyers and make them nimble. Add an healing BB if you can. Then counter their type of defense. If they use shields, spam torpedoes, if they are armoured, spam plasma.

why? what if im a xenophobe?

>decadent
>collectivist
>still upset over slaves

por que?

What do I do to make a federation? I have a relatively happy alliance of four, but all of them absolutely refuse to become federation.

>everyone hates me cause am a xenphobic bigot
>but they are totally cool with me having slaves
>not a single race that is xenophobe like me
>relgion is not important
>type of goverment isnt either

>should of been
>should of
This is how I know you're American.

Yeah, corvette rushes are very easy to execute if you have the right tech. Shields are gods in the early game and point defences let you beat a rocket using fleet twice your size.

>xenophobes don't like xenos
wew lad

I consumed first few empires by merging two alliances in confederation (I left original alliance and joined another, then my xenon companions followed my lead). Confederation kicks ass and makes game boring.

If you are nazi, just invade them while they are weak and then enslave them, they won't make any factions if you do it fast. Purging is an option when you get stronger.

Ethics divergence is a bit weird, even if you try to keep your pops from diverging, there's always a bunch of assholes who lose the collectivist ethos.

And if they're merely collectivists, not fanatics, they still get a bit upset, unless they're also xenophobic and you're enslaving aliens.

How?

Ok

What advantages does this game have over say, distant worlds and gal civ 2 and 3? Why play this over those three?

What weaponry does he have? Learn what each weapon does and learn to counter them, it isn't just about having bigger numbers on your fleet.
Also learn to manage your fleet composition, a well structured fleet needs loads of corvettes to soak up fire and brawl while big dick ships dish out damage from the back. Also pay attention to the combat AIs you install on them, having your entire fleet on defensive makes them go full retard.

QUESTION FOR PROS

I'm trying to make a really diverse empire full of different races. That way I can settle on all kinds of planets without terraforming which takes millions of fucking years.

So far I have a tundra race, a desert race, a tropical race (my own) and an ice race. However some of them are pissed that they can't be leaders despite being free members of my empire. I have xeno leadership, everything from policies to my research tells me I should be able to have any of the races in my empire lead.

Yet it just doesn't happen. The only choice of leaders I get is from my own race, and when there's an election (indirect democracy) only ONE only other race makes a bid, and those are the desert dwelling fuckers who are in different political factions than mine.

Over a hundred years later and those shitheads are still begging for independence and keep trying to get elected on that promise.
Why can't I get governors, scientists and similar from any of the other races I have? They even have entire planets dedicated only to them.

Every pop you have increases the time you need to research something, so be aware of that while spamming colonies.

PLS BUY STELLARIS

>tfw space opera is my favorite shit ever
>this game is crack cocaine for me
>there is no good space opera tabletop

FUCK. I JUST WANT TO PLAY A TABLETOP RPG ABOUT EXPLORING SPACE WITH MY FRIENDS.

>Oh boy great start

>Mass Extinction

Fucking

They're generally my "supporting" ships, give them only the longest range weapons so they stay out of the heavy fight.. like mini Battleships.

The key is to get the Transcendent Empire government

Make your dudes happy nigga, collectivism deals with factions by eliminating ethnic divergence and individualists need to build supermarkets and zoos and shit. If your dudes are happy then they won't give a fuck about factions even if their ethics are different.

Elect that xeno. Everybody becomes happier, his faction is reduced rapidly. Right now I have xeno president and scientist, which is 2/15 leaders.