Difference between DS1 and DS3?

I got DS3 as a present today. My only experience with the Dark Souls series is the first game (and Bloodborne) and I'm sure there must be some changes to the series by now. Anything I should know beforehand?

I'm vaguely aware about people screaming about STR vs DEX, magic is now useless and something about poise due to all the constant threads about the game but no details about any of them.

Since I went full STR warrior in the first game I think trying something completely different would be fun. I want to try making a mage type character bt as stated earlier I heard magic isn't too good in DS3. Is that true?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P6vCZdcp6hE&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=Wz5vnejEieA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Strength is your friend user. Dump points into Vitality, vigor, endurance, and strength if you want to survive-desu

havels greatshield and dark sword, then youre good to go

Magic is fine for PvE, but it's very weak in the early game and there are only a couple worthwhile spells.
Magic gets shit on because it doesn't have the diversity of of melee weapons. Melee has its meme weapons (Dark Sword, BKGA, Estoc, etc.), and there are some completely useless weapons, but most weapons are viable and unique to play with. Magic is plagued with tiered spell groups where the only useful version is the highest tier and some spell groups are just better or worse versions of another spell group. Diversity is lacking in magic builds. The FP system also prevents some spells from being used all together (most of the utility spells) because they cost far to much for their meager effects they just waste a precious resource that could be better used killing something faster.
Another thing that inhibits magic builds is all the overlapping items (resins, white branches, cat ring, slumber ring, bug pellets), why bother using magic when you can use items the deliver the same effects but without the requirements?

Make a weapon art build.

Find a weapon with a weapon art you really like (Morne's Hammer, Twin Princes GS, Crescent Blade, Firelink GS, Dragonsalyer Swordspear, etc.) through a simple infused weapon/shield in your offhand and spam weapon arts for free.

i disagree they played it very safe with bloodborne. only skll/str/BT and arcane attributes (arcane which btw only had a handful of tools few of which were useful),not much content, not very well thought out bloodgem system, multiplayer just for the sake of having online play not really well supported, few weapons, no covenants, few NPC quests etc..
i love bloodborne and it would have probably been my GOTY if it wasn't for MGSV. i really like the departure from other souls games by giving you plenty bloodvials that you can pick up from enemies and regain system it really changes the way level progression works and allows for a more action oriented game. also as a new player i do appreciate that its not too confusing despite it getting criticised for being too simple and lacking build variety. however to say they took risks with bloodborne is stretching it a little, it was a new IP that they had more freedom with and though people constantly like to stick it with the souls franchise they can change it up and get away with it because it isn't a dark souls.

hey guys so i just got the game a few days ago and im having fun. But now im stuck. I killed the deacons of the deep boss and i have no idea where to go.

Also im going for dex build and im using a fire uchi +3. Any other weapon i should look out for?

Go back to the Crucifixion Woods and head to the fort across the swamp. A ladder will head down to a poison swamp where you have to snuff out three fire altars to open a gate to the next boss.

As for as weapons go use whatever you want. You can get a Dark Sword (objectively best straight sword in the game) from the dark wraiths in the poison swamp, The bird shamans in road of sacrifices drop the storyteller's staff which is the strongest poison weapon in the game, and the flamberge can be dropped by thieves wielding it in the undead settlement or cathedral of the deep (one of the best GS in the game).

Tsk, so magic really is a no go? That's pretty disappointing.

Alright, next question. I really loved the kirkhammer from Bloodborne. It was slow and unwieldy as FUCK but it was so satisfying landing hits and killing enemies with it.

What's the equivalent of that weapon?

Morne's or Smough's come to mind.

shit is it by those three asshole invaders (gank squad 1.5)

magic isn't good until NG+.
at NG+ bosses become a joke.

the hardest things you'll fight as a caster are crystal sage, aldritch, and the hounds and the 2 hander thralls.

If you are just doing PVE do what ever the fuck you want man don't be a pussy and do stock standard build. Just look up shit man

I would go with Morne's Hammer as the weapon at is fantastic.

I never understood why people would subject themselves to NG+. They JUST beat the game man! Like, props for getting your moneys worth and all but seriously I'd just move on myself. It might be worth it if something changes or you needed to get a bunch of different endings or something but usually it doesn't matter.

Morne's Hammer with a Sunlight Straight Sword in the second slot for free buffs and to dispatch the more agile enemies. Don't forget the offhand simple weapon/shield for free weapon arts, I recommend a custus for easy parries or a shield with the weapon art skill for quick weapon art usage.

DaS3 NG+ and NG++ have higher tier rings and there are three different endings to get. You need to get to at least NG++ to get all trophies.

Congratulations you skipped the bad one without even trying

After deacons you get a doll that let's you progress to the boreal Valley by way of the catacombs after the undead legion

Can anyone tell me why the dark hand's damage is so shit? My AR is over 300 but I'm doing about 80 damage on average in PvE. Is everything just ery resistant to the dark element?

Early game sorcery is aids. Later in you meet someone who allows you to respec your character, so wait until then to do magic. In the meantime if you want to cast do pyromancy

I've been doing an ultra great sword build with no shield. Most charged power attacks with UGSs are really satisfying to land, especially in Pvp. I've one shot so many dumbass squishies with one powerful stab with a sword as big as I am.

>Dump points into Vitality

Knowing Dark Souls, this has gotta have some catch right? It's really hard to find the guy/do their questline to get that function? Expensive as fuck? You can only do it once?

If you're building a pure strength build vitality is more useful than any other stat that isn't VIG, END, and STR.

you can only do it up to 5 times. it requires an item called a pale tounge. theres some in the overworld theyre also gotten from invading. it warns you about this too, so no its kosher.

You only get to use it 5 times per playthrough and it fucks up a questline if you use it after a certain point.
Finding the covenant that allows it is a little tricky but you can't "miss" it like you can with Mound Makers or Darkmoon.

Without spoiling too much, you find them in a slightly hidden area in a place called Cathedral of the Deep, you can respec 5 times per playthrough, and you do by offering an easily obtained item.

Awesome, thanks guys. I feel like by the time I get to that point I'll lose all motivation to change since I'm so used to my guy but it's good to keep it in mind.

But really, looking at this thread it seems like going full STR is the way to go. I don't mind or anything but that's what I did in Bloodborne too so it'd be nice to try something completely different. Then again, that's just how it work out huh?

Oh. How good would a magic knight sorta build be? I'm worried it'll just end up being shit in both aspects but it might be fun to try out?

FP (MP) is honestly the worst system for magic for this game. I like MP bars but you just cannot have shit costing this much and expect it to be worthwhile.

I mean, even making powerful spells cost 50 is ridiculous because that's only like 4 casts you get.

What's worse is god forbid you try and set anything up. With spell uses I could combo together 3 different spells well but in this game it'll mean you're almost completely out of juice and have to pump ashen estus (which also takes away from healing). I mean magic is basically a "bust it all out in one huge load" class now. You can't play with too much variety even if you wanted to because everything takes away from something else. And this isn't Demon's Souls where spells costed virtually nothing in comparison and popping spice was fast as fuck and easy to farm with no mitigation to healing.

Dex builds, quality builds (even strength and dex) and Pyro builds are all viable through the whole game. Try out a quality build first playthrough and experiment with any weapons you find interesting.

STR is also the most useful stat. It's good for meeting weapon requirements, adds to AR, is the second best stat for increasing physical flat damage absorption, and increases fire flat damage absorption (most used magic in the game).

Faith is turbo garbage and the good buffs require too much investment to be worth it.

Stick to pure STR, lots of fun weapons.

I personally love these 3 weapons:

1)Profaned Greatsword
2)Gundyr's Halberd
3)Yhorm's Great Machete

You have to get a little ways in before you get them, but they are super fun to use.

Dude... great sprite art and animation makes everything seem amazing.

What Kind of Magic Knight?
Buff magic is pointless as most infusions don't allow buffs and half the weapons are boss weapons which also don't allow buffs AND you can get resins of any element and offer decent AR without having to meet any requirements.

Miracles have some interesting character buffs, but the amount is very low (5 or 10%) so only high AR weapons benefit from it and the best one, Sacred Oath, requires that you use up two attunement slots. Tears of Denial is probably the most useful buff, but it also uses up two slots and costs 100 fp to cast.

Pryomancy has iron flesh, which is great for giving you poise, and power within which increases AR by 20%, but both spells only last about 15 seconds.

There are a few weapons you can get that double as catalysts, but for some odd reason they have a faith requirement and don't even cast miracles. The damage is also usually split with magic or fire and split damage is garbage in the game. The sword catalyst also looks ugly as fuck.

Great art in general makes things amazing.

I was thinking of something that can use both magic and melee weapons, like a jack of all trades sorta thing. But man, it sounds like magic is just completely fucking bullshit looking at and . It really seems like STR is the way to go. Maybe STR and DEX but that's it.

I just sword and board all my souls games

Any one else do this?

Magic is ungentlemenly

Spellswords are my favourite class and I really tried to make one for DaS3 but I just couldn't do it effectively or without blowing way past the PvP meta.
As stated above buff magic is not worth the investment. Offensive magic requires a heavy investment in INT to be useful, miracles are not even an option, and pyro requires heavy investment in both INT and FTH.
If you want to be a Spellsword style character I would suggest focusing on a weapon art build with one of the more flashier weapon arts. Twin Princes GS has a laser beam L2R1 attack and a fire sweep L2R2 attack and its just a fun weapon to use. Morne's Hammer has an AoE that"s similar to the Force miracle, but it scales with the weapon AR and deals massive damage, also because of the high faith requirement of the hammer you can use the Sunlight Straight Sword's Oath of Sunlight weapon art which gives you the same buff as Sacred Oath, but since its a weapon art if can be cast for free with an off-hand simple weapon/shield.

I like to sword and magic, but magic is so shit this game that I just go sword only, though I put a simple infused cestus in my offhand because simple is just too useful and the cestus is also a really good parry and light as fuck.

What is a weapon art? It sounds like a skill/ability that is cast from certain weapons? I'm imagining it like the tonitrus from Bloodborne, where you could buff it to make it do high bolt damage.

LCK is actually one of the strongest builds in the game.
A quality Hollow/luck build is stronger than just a regular quality build and you get the added bonus of bleed. Also, because hollow infusions add luck you can cut the luck stat soft cap by 10 which saves on some of the investment.

Every weapon as a weapon art/skill. Its mapped to L2 on the PS4. Some have two arts that can be activated by holding down L2 and pressing either R1 or R2. Most straight swords have the "Stance" weapon art which puts the character in a special sword stance when L2 is held and has a shield break move when R1 is pressed and a lunging attack when R2 is pressed.
Weapon arts consume FP when used, but they can still be used even when FP is empty, however, the weapon art is much weaker or fails to activate any special effects it may have. Weapon arts only require 1FP, regardless of actual FP cost, to use its most effective version which is way an off-hand simple infused weapon/shield is so useful (regenerates 1FP every 4 seconds) as you essentially get a free weapon art every few seconds. This abuse of the weapon art system is especially useful for the more powerful weapon arts such as Morne's Rage, Profaned Flame, or Falling Bolt.

Hollow/luck? I'm unsure what this means. I assume it's not just "spam everything into luck" though.

Still, that sounds potentially fun. Either do critical hits or nothing at all?

I feel like I might go full magic just for the lols. There's multiple save slots like in DS1 right?

I assume I just jam all my stats into INT, Faith and attunement? Maybe HP as well?

I only use spells for buffs and healing. My old DaS2 build had me with a spear and that shield that let you cast any kind of spells. Was fun spamming force.

Gank squads

Arcane is broken as fuck m8.

Magic is fine if you go 60 int, 30+ att, 30+ end and 30+ vig, use every ring slot on damage increasing shit, use both weapon slots, use head slot and master free casting!
>reddit

>HP
no. put vig up to like 18, nothing more. if you get hit, you bad. just ember up for HP.

I won't be getting this game for a bit since I need to upgrade, but what are hexes and dark pyromanceies like in DaS3?

Four.

Another really great weapon art is "Gentle Prayer" that out performs the Heal Aid, Heal and Replenishment miracles and is comparable to Med Heal and Bountiful Light for HP healing which every chime has, but the Priest's Chime only has a FTH requirement of 10 so for very little investment you get a pretty decent healing spell that you can cast for free.

Storyteller's staff has the best poison spell in the game as its weapon art and it only has a INT requirement of 12.

No faith?

"Critical hit" is riposte and backstab. Luck increases drop rate and poison/bleed build up rate. Basically with a bleed build warden twinblades will be getting almost 2 bleed procs in one L2 R2 combo.

Replace int with fth and lose the head. Also you need to cast in melee range and use the poise weapon art from your talisman every time. Totally viable though xD

Hollow infused weapons scale with your Luck stat. Luck also increases the rate at which bleed/poison/frost activates. Hollow infused bleed weapons that scale with both STR and DEX get better AR with a hollow infusion than a refined infusion. Hollow Infusions also grant a max of +5 Luck per weapon if character has a hollowing of +15, that means you only need to reach 30 in luck to reach the soft cap. Hollow Infusions can also be buffed so carthus rouge can be used to double the bleed chance.

How good is dark damage? What weapon arts deal it? I want to be an edgy dark knight and the game doesn't look like it has many dark spells.

Absolutely abysmal (pun intended)

Is this miyazakis way of hating DaS 2? Dark damage is supposed to be good, better than lightning.

Why can't we have functioning faith/int builds?

Because hexfags ruin everything.

Dark spells deal dark damage and they require a heavy investment in both INT and FTH.

Weapon arts are just an extension of the weapons AR and do not scale with INT or FTH and only deal elemental damage if the weapon has it.

No weapon has dark magic as a natural element.

Deep infusion adds dark dark damage similar to Fire Infusion as it increases AR but at the cost of scaling.

Dark infusion adds more dark damage and it scales with INT and FTH, but at the cost of some physical.

You can also get a miracle and a resin that add a dark magic buff (around +90 AR).

Dark Souls 3 is heavily inspired by Bloodborne, down to the fast pace, no poise, and garbage magic.

Im full on tank build and i got mages one shotting me if they hit.

It's not like sorcery fags in DaS2 were any less broken.

>No poise
So five more years of DaS pvp?

Fall off damage for lightning bolts is the stupidest shit.

So basically no dark paladin build and I take it token dark spell like affinity are garbage? I'm severely disappointed.

I was disappointed with the look of hexes in DaS 2 but love the idea. I was hoping DaS3 would have better thought out hexes. I saw darkness blade and they still use that shitty purple shit rather than cover the blade in a black-mass with a white outlight.

we can only hope the DLC gives us some good shit for a spellsword build, because right now its garbage.

yeah, magic does a lot of damage.
you're dangerous in brawls because you can just wait for people to do the roll/estus dance, then hit them with a soul spear if they chug.
it's all about mixing up your moves to keep the other guy guessing.

Didn't read the thread, perhaps it's all been said:
You can play whatever the fuck you want and beat the game or participate in the ganks that are called invasions.
It's just that you'd have a hard time duelling with particular builds - in the end you'd want to roll a specific character for that anyways so it doesn't matter until you gained experience with the game, its weapons and environments.

Casters are weak early on when casting and as such you'd want to start with melee builds and either transition into the casting stats later or just respec. You can respec by trading a tongue to a covenant NPC (you get one tongue for each player you kill while invading as red phantom) but only up to 5 times per NG cycle (you get 5 new respec options at NG+ and another at NG++ and so on).

On your first run try to practice parrying everything that has a weapon because it's super efficient and trivializes even the harder boss fights.

If you want to complete all achievements don't do it with your first playthrough as you'll have to read a guide and this ruins exploration and surprise elements, along with NPC interactions and their outcome.

You probably know that but NG+ or NG++ do not exclude you from matchmaking with others and unlike in Dark Souls 2 there's no hidden soul counter (aka. soul memory) either. Only level-range counts. This means you can get the rings from NG++ and still play against people who haven't even finished their first playthrough - as long as you don't overlevel yourself. While technically the weapon upgrade level of your highest upgraded weapon is also considered the brackets for that are so extremely wide that you couldn't upgrade beyond +6 (+3 for boss/special weapons that cap at +5) if you want to avoid facing +10 wielding enemies - or just ignore that shit and upgrade like any sane person.

Magic and melee works fine, but you have to be picky about what weapon you go for in that respect. Certain weapons clearly benefit only from certain kinds of play.

Though if you want spellsword, go for a buffing build with the sellsword twinblades. Slap the most powerful magic buff you have on those and use the weapon art's combo. It's seriously fucking frightening. Sellsword Twinblades work best with sharp infusion too, I believe. You don't even need that high of a dex score for it to be better than raw.

But past that I can't see much use for the magic other than utilitarian uses. Which are highly underrated in my opinion. The utility spells can be really amazing used in the right contexts.

I wonder if the devs will place some of their trademark quality bugs from arkham origins and arkham knight performance issues

What utility spells would you consider useful?

Wouldn't a lightning infusion be better than any buff? Doesn't use up an attunement slot, doesn't require recasting.

Elemental infusions through the smith just give you split damage, and this means your damage is resisted twice. One check for each damage type. Which is bad because infusions lower the normal damage for the sake of adding an element. It's not just free damage.

Never use elemental infusions that don't let you cast buffs/use resins over the top of it.

What spells are useful depends on if you are sorcery or faith, but hidden body is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. It's incredibly OP in PvE to boot. Chameleon is good too if you like invading or like being invaded. Faith has a number of good general buffs. Just look at the spells that don't do direct damage and think of how they could be useful. A lot of them are, but everyone wants to be PYEW PYEW WIZARD MAYNS.

Blessed is such a useless infusion. Reduced damage, slow healing, and the blessed status is useless, the worst part is you can't even buff it. It would have been a useful infusion for a buff faith build if From hadn't been such hacks.

A single one is useless, but they probably made it that way because:

>Sun princess ring
>Offhand blessed
>Mainhand blessed

Constitutes a pretty serious free regen. Rather than simple in my offhand, I use blessed on a nonmagic build. Then keep one of my three slots on the free blessed mailbreaker you get from questing. Combined with the sun princess ring, I have serious longevity. Which I mostly use to extend my use as a phantom for hosts. I can make it through a whole level with all my estus if I don't shit up things completely. .

It's the utility spells that really sell it to me personally. Fireballs and stuff are kinda plain. I want to fuck around by pretending to be a pot or turning enemies against each other, that sounds like a LOT of fun.

That being said, Dark Souls is pretty unforgiving so I feel like if I try to make a fun build I will get fucking nowhere.

If you want fun magic with a seriously good use, hidden body is worth speccing in to. Particularly late game, you'll run in to a lot of not very kindly designed enemy spawns. As in, DS1 would have placed certain very powerful enemies alone. DS3 will literally put three of the same unavoidably close to eachother and even aggro link them if you try pulling with a bow.

Hidden body completely circumvents this. The AI also kind of flops uselessly if you step a bit too far away from what you are currently fighting. Also good for traversing parts of a level you've already seen without having to fight everything all over again.

Do you like invading? Do you hate hosts using a giant seed? Hidden body stops mobs from seeing you past a very short distance. Then Chameleon in some far off corner in the level and wait. I've won a 3 on 1 doing this. The phantoms got frustrated looking for me (after the host went as far as to use a fucking seed to be rid of me), and left the host alone. At which point it was a free kill 1 on 1.

Try to think of the spells a bit outside of the box.

youtube.com/watch?v=P6vCZdcp6hE&feature=youtu.be

>0:14

Going to respond to my own post to give prospective spellswords some hope.

My own build literally can only use two spells and just enough int to cast hidden body and chameleon. I wanted to be a sneaky fuck during invasions. Past that, I'm a sort of low level quality build for the sake of weapon flexiblity and obscuring ring shenanigans with greatbows.

That said, if I had to go back and do it again, I feel like a high int build would work just as well. Stick to less stat intensive melee weapons (minimum stats), and if anything threatening comes up you buff the weapon with your most powerful buff and go to town. You shouldn't need that much attunement since you're not using FP constantly on blasting. As pointed out before, sellsword twinblades work hilariously well with a magic buffing build. The weapon art can very well oneshot players with the right spec. I'm sure there are other weapons that work just fine (any straight sword, though people will boo at me if I point that out).

The point would be the utilitarian spells and a single high int weapon buff for OVERDRIVE MODE, but nothing stops you from temporarily putting in blast spells if you have high int either if you have some specific enemy you want to kill but not get close to. Probably not a bad idea to swap in to blast for bosses and use sneaky spells + buffing for working through the level.

but you can get a ring that is hidden body but better and a infinite purchase chameleon consumable.

>hidden body
I saw a youtube video that made good use of this with the phantom ring and slumber ring as a fake ghost, but by itself it seems useless.

>Chameleon
You can get an item that does the same thing

>Caressing Tears
Useful for getting rid of maggots and toxic, but both are PvE only and only in specific areas. regular poison isn't much of a threat and it never gets used in PvP.

>Tears of Denial
Useful for hyper mode builds and as a desperate fall protection, but it requires two attunement slots and costs 100FP to cast

>Vow of Silence
Useful against mages, but again takes up two slots and only lasts ten seconds

>Iron Flesh
I've seen it used as a surprise attack with the charge skill and with the Sacred Flame glitch, but other than that its pretty useless.

>Acid Surge
A useless spell that I've only seen used to cause unskilled players to flinch.

>Spook
Great in the early game, but useless once you get the rings

>Cast Light
Not really worth using up an attunement slot when you can use a torch, there are not many really dark areas in the game. You can also get two catalysts that either give off light naturally or have a torch-like weapon art.

>Repair
Useless

>Hidden weapon
Great with a long range weapon, but only really useful against shitters.

>Twisted Wall of Light
Somewhat pointless as you can just dodge and not waste FP

Obscuring ring does NOT work against mobs, and if you've gone for hidden body then you have the int to cast chameleon anyway. A second spell slot is not a big deal at that point either.

But you'd be right that chameleon is not a vital spell to have beyond the convenience of not having to buy branches. That does free up a spell slot for something else.

At most that will only give 6 hp/s, which is not terrible for a PvE build, but much too slow to make a difference in a boss fight or PvP.

The point is the PVE build, user.

You can't pretend From didn't balance the game with PVE in mind. PVP was always a secondary concern of theirs and it always will be. Making a single blessed weapon too useful would mean people would stack it and totally invalidate PVE.

Hidden body has some seriously overpowered PVE uses. For PVP, obscuring ring is leagues better against players(but the ring doesn't function at all against the AI).

I agree, I wouldn't want it to be an HP powerhouse, but as it is right now the blessed infusion is garbage, where it buffable it may have actually been decent.

My hopes for a full magic build is rising, although it really seems like the best use of magic is to buff melee weapons and to fuck around with utility spells so that's not even full magic.

I'm guessing the way forward is to go pyromancer and then shove everything into magic based stats? Free handaxe for melee and you get a free pyromancer thingy

Going to give a proper reply to this.

Miracles you'd have my agreement aren't worth thinking about. In DS2, the magic barriers were a legit reason to go faith, but magic damage is not a concern in DS3 in the slightest. Blasty magic sucks, and elemental infusions also suck dick so no one uses them. Shame because magic barriers were the fucking hero of DS2 pvp.

Sorcery still has the magic shield buffs if you want to go the defensive route rather than buffing for magic damage, which is probably much more useful in certain instances. Hidden body has some nasty nasty PVE applications I have already stated multiple times. Hidden body on it's own justifies 15 int.

Pyromancy has flash sweat and profuse sweat, both of which require INT rather than FAITH. They are a little niche, but they really ease dealing with the things they're designed for. . It's not liked you're married to one set of spells so you can just swap if you plan to face something particular. Same goes for the previously mentioned shield spells.

Though I do understand. Most players would rather power through with brute force and use their sippies after one fight rather than think about how they can ease the experience for themselves in any way.

Anything dark is shit aside from the weapon buff. At low levels all casters suck big time and scaling only takes off when 50-60 points have been invested into respective damage stats.
Cast speed comes from dexterity again and you need 20 and the cast speed ring to cap it - that means one less ring slot and the other 3 are best damage related and as such you'll be a glass cannon.

Pyromancy has better scaling at lower levels and a more forgivable nuke that's easier to free-aim than other school's spells (great chaos fire orb or chaos bed vestiges), the highly situational iron flesh to trade hits when wielding big weapons and the mindcontrol for enemies. Flame whip is also a great spell to stagger close enemies. Because you split int + faith (i.e. 30/30 or 40/40, etc.) you can also cast most utility spells from other schools.

Miracles get Tears of Denial, a buff that allows you to survive one killing-blow (including falling damage) with 1HP. The debuff remover, silence, heals and heal over times are shit and the damage buff (sacred oath) is outclassed by a special from the Sunlight Straight Sword that does the same for less FP cost. PvP viable damage miracles are either Wrath of the Gods or Lightning Stake - both are pretty much for melee range and that means you need often to trade hits. PvE is just lightning spear spam and only works well in late-game.

Sorcery has a semi-invisibility spell but there's a ring that makes you invisible outside of locking range and as such the spell is either only good when combined with that ring or useless when far enough for the ring to be active to begin with. The other utility spells don't do anything unique at all - there's a ring that removes falling damage and a consumable that allows you to disguise as objects and as such the respective sorcery spells are useless. All sorcery nukes are easy to dodge by an anticipating player and as such only good in PvE.

>Sorcery has a semi-invisibility spell but there's a ring that makes you invisible outside of locking range
Obscuring ring doesn't work on mobs.

I know hurr hurr pve, but don't give people the wrong idea.

It took several hours but thanks to everyone for all of your advice. It was really helpful and I'll try my best to put it into action tomorrow. It's 11:33pm here and the game just finished installing. Got work and class tomorrow so gotta head off. Appreciate all the support, totally expected this thread to be 3 replies and 2 of them to be something along the lines of "fuck off" so I'm glad that didn't happen.

I saw this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=Wz5vnejEieA

And thought of doing it with the sacred flame glitch or a hypermode Morne's Rage build.

Food for thought. Entirely invasion oriented.

>Untrue Dark Ring
>Obscuring Ring
>Hidden Body

Obscuring stops you from being spotted a mile away by your target host. Hidden Body on a red model is kind of easy to spot close up, so you want the untrue ring to let you blend in better close range. Wait hidden around a blind turn or crouch posed somewhere just off to the side. The chance the host sees you will drop dramatically. Not a sure thing, but a lot of people will miss you completely. Then go up and stab them from behind.

Flash Sweat is useful, but I wish it lasted more than 30 seconds, in fact I wish there was a standard for buffs as they seem so arbitrary (Blessed Weapon only lasts 45 seconds while all other weapon buffs lasts 60 seconds or more).
Profuse Sweat is useless, it doesn't add that much more resistance.
You're starting to win me over with the hidden body as I can envision some useful uses for it, but then again I never had much problem just running by enemies.

>Casters are weak
Should've stopped the post here m8.

gankers...lots and lots of gankers

Yeah, they kind of made rings mandatory this time. There's one that boosts buff times. There's others that boost damage that are mandatory for blasty wizards. It's fucking awful.

Sadly, hidden body has a low default time. I would try to get the spell extension ring to use with it if you plan to seriously walk around. You can reapply it before the duration is up, but that can become a hassle when you can just use a ring slot by comparison.

Hidden body isn't needed for running through enemies, but it makes it impossibly safe to do so. You won't ever get chased or hit once unless you're just really being a moron. Not to mention the combat uses. Which I won't elaborate on cause I quite like being able to cheese certain enemies like the winged knights.

Video above you post shows exactly what your talking about.

I can see it being great for a hyper mode build (red tearstone + Morion blade + hornet ring).

hidden body doesn't need to be explained to you, pleb.
if you can't see how useful running from bonfire to bonfire without having to kill anything is, then you're just too pleb for words.