Are any videogames art? Can they be art?

Are any videogames art? Can they be art?

I mean we wouldn't honestly say something like Skyrim is meant as art, would we? That'd be idiotic.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YrRhnaFaBsA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_in_the_Museum_of_Modern_Art
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I know this is too deep a conversation for Sup Forums. My apologies.

youtube.com/watch?v=YrRhnaFaBsA >art

Pink Floyd is garbage aside from Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

What do you consider art?

Fuck art.

Are video games science?

Beethoven
Wagner
Schoenberg
Brian Eno

>hobby for dumb children to waste their young lives in is art now

Fuck me. I am glad I stopped playing videogames and started investing my time onto better things.

I'm asking if it is, calm your shit.

Holy shit being this much of a fucking normalfag I mean holy shit fuck off.

>normalfag
>brian eno

>pink floyd
>not normalfag

Are you stupid or something

Pink Floyd is fucking patrician you scum. Get some taste. Every form of media is art, there's literally no debate. This thread has zero point of existence.

scriabin
ravel
fuseli
ashbery

get fucked memer

It's an odd question. If you break it down,

>music
>writing
>pictures/motion pictures/visuals

everything that goes into a videogame is an art when taken out of the whole. but when you put them together, it is no longer regarded as art.

I wonder why that is. music is listened to, stories are read, pictures and movies are viewed, but video games are "played," which involves listening, reading, and viewing. but again, its not seen as art.

im not arguing for or against it, i just think its an interesting topic. i personally don't see vgames as art but it's interesting that if I saw the individual parts of a video game on their own, id call it art.

How the FUCK is Pink Floyd patrician

You're a fucking child
Nobody's saying the music, art, etc. isn't art, it's questioning whether the gameplay is art.

>it's questioning whether the gameplay is art
You never said that.

then I would say it's not art, because you aren't actually creating anything new by playing a game. the art has already been done in the making of the game, and you're just experiencing it.

so basically playing a video game is equivalent to listening to music or reading a book in the sense that you're enjoying what has already been created by the artist

Anything created by humans is art

This post is art

How are you creating anything new by listening to music or reading literature then?

This thread sucks, OP.

There will be no significant discussion here.

Shame on you for this terrible post.

you're not. that's why I said that playing a game is equivalent to listening to music, in that neither are art. both are enjoying the art already made.

fucking
MASTERPIECE

Then how's vidya not art?

>are video games art
a meaningless distinction. also, no
people only want video games to be considered an art form because they want to justify continuing to indulge their childhood hobby to other, more well-adjusted adults
>can they be art
they can, often at the cost of enjoyable gameplay, but most aren't. they contain art, but aren't art as a whole. video games' potential as an art form is tied to a developer's ability to convey a story through gameplay, even if the gameplay's shit (like gone home, which barely qualifies as a game anyway)
walking simulators/ludonarrative experiences aren't video games and trying to force the two mediums to cohabitate under the same banner is destructive to both because they cause each other to lose credibility
tl;dr no, yes, now stop asking

I said playing the game isn't art. whether the video game itself is art is up for discussion.

It doesn't matter whether they are. They're fun, and they don't need to be taken seriously.
I swear, all these butthurt kids want validation for video games as art after roger ebert went and said they weren't
the thing is, he also brought up the fantastic point that there's no reason for them to be, something they haven't managed to get through their idiot skulls

Well maybe I don't consider some trap condescendingly smirking at me with a depressing looking background in the distance as art.

See? It works both ways fucktard. Art is a subjective experience. Conversation over. Go pretend to be an intellectual somewhere else.

>I don't consider the mona lisa as art because of subjectivism

come on man. I don't know why the mona lisa is so highly regarded myself, but to say that it's not art because "everything is subjective" is in itself the pseudo (anti)intellectualism that plagues too many people these days. its basically a get out of jail free card argument, in that you don't actually have to think to use it

Then why the fuck are you still shitposting among people who play video games?

Then how does one fucking define it? You can talk to no two people and get the same answer for what counts as art. If you were to go through list of musical genres, movies, paintings, television, books, or videogames and ask each person which they considered to be a fucking work of art they would all give you a different answer and likely come up with some reason it does or does not qualify that essentially amounts to either "I like it" or "I don't like it."

I have friends who swear rap and hip-hop are art. But to me, most of it sounds like a bunch of retarded animals barking and drooling over a microphone about the same fucking themes over and over while an obnoxious and repetitive beat plays in the background. But my friends will say, "You just don't get it, what the song means is blah blah blah." I don't hear that, I hear the above. In the meantime, many of my friends hate lyricless music outside of film, and I think they are failing to understand the craft that goes into making it alter their emotions. Which one of us is correct? The answer is yes.

Art is subjective. That is objectively the only right answer.

i-is my post art too?

the only game that can be considered art is tetris

everything else is just a game

It fucking brought tears to my eyes user.

Good thing he wasn't asking if playing videogames is art.

>the eastern bloc puzzle game
>art
the only artistic merit tetris has is its representation of soviet russia's inability to properly build a wall

Because retardation, obviously.

Pow pow! Double kill.

what can I say, the puns just lined up and fell into place

We live in a time where someone can shit on a plate and call it art.

yeah, but you can only do that once before it gets old
on an unrelated note, I would also consider fucking your mom to be art

>also no
>tl:dr yes, now stop asking
Did you realise you were arguing both sides of that argument? and poorly at that.

True, but you can at least understand why your friends would consider rap art, or vice versa for your music. Even if you think it sounds like shit, both genres follow at the least a base structures that make something able to be called music. From there, you can say its subjective, if you don't want to point out further specifics, but there are some objective standards.

personally, i agree that most rap and hip hop sounds like shit, but I like some. I also like some classical music. But if someone tells me I should consider beethoven's moonlight sonata to be on the same level as dankjuicy's "pussyfresh" or some shit because "art is subjective", then I can't help but think of them as in idiot. it's just too convenient an argument for me

Learn to read. I said tl;dr, no, yes, stop. No, they aren't, yes, they can be, stop talking about it because it's pointless.

Is coca cola art?

Before we continue define "art" for me OP.

the term "art" has been too memed to death over the years to give it a specific definition

>sandwich artist

>no they aren't
>yes they can be
Holy shit you keep getting more retarded as the posts roll on.
They are or they aren't, there's no such thing as a "half" art. It's either good art, poor art or not art. If it is an expression of an artistic vision, then it is art. Otherwise it is not art. Games, as a format are a juvenile art form but they are undoubtedly art. I hope this post makes you less dumb.

>generally they aren't, but they have the potential to be
yep this statement makes no sense

/thread

don't /thread your own posts you autist

That's one baby's first list of art.
Reminds me of people who say Shawshank Redemption or Citizen Kane is the best movie ever when asked

>What is unique poster count?
Yea, we're done here, newfag. Lurk moar.

That's still really fucking dumb. I guess me saying.
>I hope this post makes you less dumb
Was just wishful thinking on my behalf

>Are any videogames art?
No.

>Can they be art?
They can but they shouldn't be called "art". Art politically charge a medium and with all the SJWs and Feminists running around ruining games I'd like it to "not be art".

However "art as a form of beauty" is encouraged. Better graphics and better storylines are always a demand in videogames.

Here's a list of games that actually are considered art.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_in_the_Museum_of_Modern_Art

Art goes on the wall, videogames go in the trash. Know your role.

>No Bach
>no Aphex Twin

What a shit list