Is there anything that a 2D game can express that is impossible/more difficult to express in 3D?

Is there anything that a 2D game can express that is impossible/more difficult to express in 3D?

Other urls found in this thread:

eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-30-a-game-developers-story-with-vanillawares-kentaro-onishi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fun

this

that

Gameplay is more clearly defined in 2d.

Mystery. Wonder.

No 3D game has been able to accurately portray Action/Platformers or SHUMPS correctly. 2D games also have a much higher threshold for the suspension of disbelief. And I still think 2D fighters are superior to 3D ones, but that's more of an issue with input devices (a controller).

Actual stories. I find having to use your imagination a little helps the experience. There's also a lot of stuff that realistically can't be done with anything but 2D sprites,

>There's also a lot of stuff that realistically can't be done with anything but 2D sprites,
Have any examples?

OP here, want to expand on the question. In addition to the original question, are there any emotions that characters can convey in a 2D game that cannot be done in a 3D game? (let's assume there's no voice acting)

eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-30-a-game-developers-story-with-vanillawares-kentaro-onishi

"These days you're chiefly a programmer at Vanillaware. Can you explain the different challenges between programming 2D and 3D software?"
>With the words 2D and 3D it seems like it's just a difference in dimensions, but I believe the difference is greater than that. 3D games must be rendered using a camera and shaders. What is then displayed on the screen is simply the end result of that. The angle, zoom and even lighting changes are rendered based on the player's control inputs. The designer cannot tune the data that produces the rendering and the programmer can only work to improve the rendering quality. What finally determines the visuals is the game hardware itself. You can obtain the ability to express overwhelming freedom, space and photorealism, however artistically expressing solid shapes takes much time and effort and still ends up unnatural somehow.
>With 2D graphics you can arrange the screen so that it appears just as the artist drew it. Naturally, there is an intense charm to this. As a matter of fact, this is 2D's primary advantage. So, when dealing with 2D, unless you directly use the charm of the image as it was drawn by the artist's hand, there's no point.
>Beyond that, the programmer's job is...indirect, with few glamorous tasks. In our company the situation is that in order for planners to do more minute adjustments, programmers continually improve animation tools and separate a large amount of the animations though complex branching processes, foregoing the desire to make programs that have a simplified structure. However, in terms of expressive elements, for Dragon's Crown we worked really hard on a pixel shader that was something like a gamma corrector that created the sunlight patches and reflections on water (laughs).

>are there any emotions that characters can convey in a 2D game that cannot be done in a 3D game?
I got one right here.

Not that guy, but try a game like Muramasa. Seems pretty simple at first glance. Quick air slashes and angled jumping. But a 3D game couldn't imitate the speed and precision of that game without resorting to QTEs and set camera angles.

I don't think there would be. Since a 3D game can still produce exaggerated reaction images or 'chibi' designs. That comes more down to design and not graphical or gameplay limitations.

Yangus is an extreme example though. Everyone else was 3-expressions as fuck, and not just because of toriyama.

The game could have had the characters doing more extreme facial expressions, as Yangus, Morrie and a few other characters proved. They just chose not to to secure the subdued mood of the game. Again, the ability is there. It just comes down to design.

>subdued mood of the game
We're not talking about DQ7.

>GBA version
I will never get over how ugly it looks compared to the SNES one

Complete and total soullessness. 3D stuff has inherently more soul in it because it feels far more human than the almost robotic feel of 2D stuff. Maybe that's why everyone here likes 2D so much. They themselves are essentially 2D in personality and soullessness.

Adding a third dimension means a lot more is expected.

A 2D game at its core focuses more on gameplay then story because of how its created, there is no camera, dynamic lightning, rigging or facial motion capping involved. Its far more of a chore for anyone to animate THAT much detail into a sprite as opposed to re-using animations to get the point across.

It also limits movements to one Axis which can be helpful to the style of gameplay, and more challenging depending on the mechanics.

IE: Take classic castlevania Vs. Lords of shadow. LoS has no difficuulty curve and is impossible to lose when your GoW chain whips cover the entire field instead of just three pixels forward.

for (you)

>Soulessness

3D is FAR more souless then 2D. I'm so tiured of looking at dead eye human stock models in every 3D game, its creepy as fuck. Sprites are lively and bouncy and full of life and color. Manakins are not.

Vertical movement.

DQVIII had plenty of dramatic moments user. Having one character encompass the bulk of the comedic reactions is a classic formula. And in this case, there was actuallytwo (Trode and Yangus). They didn't need to make the Hero, Jessica and Angelo also full of crazy reactions and expressions. That was Yangus' role.

And what are you even arguing anymore? I thought you were asking if a 3D game could replicate the emotions of a 2D game. And the answer is clearly yes. Though as I also said up at , its much harder for a 3D game to get away with it because of the suspension of disbelief.

n64 platformers like mario 64, donkey kong 64, banjo and those games?

Why does the GBA version of FF6 looks so shit?

I dunno man, even LoS on 3ds had gigantic fucking whip swings.
Mercurysteam just sucked ass.

I'm personally tired of models and textures in 3D games improving, but they still walk, gesture and wave their hands around like its GTAIII on the PS2. Is there some place where all these 3D games keep buying their stock character movements?

Then you have some super low budget Japanese games that actually put effort into making unique movement. But a $200 million dollar Elder Scrolls game can't?

The bright color scheme is made to compensate for the GBA's lack of a backlight. If you've ever used the VBA-M emulator, try using the GameBoy colors feature to see what it really would have looked like on the actual handheld.

Western "GAMURRS" don't pay attention to that shit.
Just how the textures look at max resolution on their super high def monitors.

I don't know a 3D game that has a perfect top-down view or perfect isometric view. There's something satisfying about that pixel perfect alignment of 2D graphics. 3D graphics always adhere to a vanishing point, which skews the view.

Case in point:
user A: It's a shame that you can't play games on a console unless they're exclusive.
user B: You literally cant especially when its on a such a console that can barely run them.
I can understand a shitty port, but I don't see the point of bitching about 1080p at 60fps.
GOD FORBID

these

i especially liked that aspect about old RTS games... i miss them

emotion

Look how terrible the new version looks

But that's not 3d, isn't it?