Is this cinematic bullshit ever going to end ?

How long do we have to suffer with this cinematic realistic art direction trend in video games ?

If I want to watch a movie, I'll watch a movie with actual writers, not film school drop outs.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KzqJswRGc8o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nothing wrong with the art direction. Why wouldn't it end up this way?

The problem is the game design philosophy.

You're frustrated, OP. I understand. Clearly, you had some difficulties with Grounded+, it's ok, we all did.

No idea what you're even talking about It's fine when 1 or two games do it but when we have a "cod" effect and everyone is trying to be the same game you can understand why is be upset.

> cinematic realistic art direction trend
Trend? You're a fucking idiot. This is what devs have been trying to create for as long as there's been video games, we just have the technology to approximate it better now. Besides, if you honestly think we aren't well out of the drab military shooter era, you're definitely fucking retarded. Overwatch is the biggest thing on earth right now, and it's far from the only thing with a colorful, toonier style. If anything, the whole heros craze threatens to be the next big oversaturation.

I'm not at all against cinematic games. If they told me an interesting story. Which they haven't, yet.

Also lower price.

ur probably a troll but whats wrong with a good story in a game instead of just mindless japanese arcade garbage all the fucking time?

Execute all weaboos

>whats wrong with a good story in a game

That we don't have those, these days.

If the quality of stories in games were really a problem, the complaint around here would be "We need better stories in games," not "We need less stories in games."
I will say, however, that ludonarrative dissonance is totally a problem right now, and devs need to try harder to make games better without resorting to gameplay that contradicts their themes. That's probably the big immaturity plaguing video game writing right now.

I feel you. It feels so weird seeing everybody happy with Sony's E3 presentation. It was literally all cinematic bullshit with zero replay value or depth. I guess that's what people want nowadays.

you could say thats a screenshot from god of war and no one could really say no. RIP golden age we wont get games like these anymore
youtube.com/watch?v=KzqJswRGc8o

I'd say give it a few more years before the mainstream gets bored of games and fucks off to something else. then we'll go back to AA games. at least I hope so.I can't stand everything costing 50 billion dollars and taking 25 years in development, all so we can have some superfluous visual effect, or some shitty pop song shoved in for no good reason.

>It was literally all cinematic bullshit
It's like they were trying to introduce people to the games/worlds and hype them up.

>zero replay value or depth
You got all this from just the trailers?

>You got all this from just the trailers?
No I got that from the insanely shallow gameplay.

>I can't stand everything costing 50 billion dollars and taking 25 years in development
I hope you dont like Star Citizen
Cuase I do :(

TLoU was good though, very light on the QTE and cutscene bullshit, and the gameplay was good.

Hell the multiplayer is nothing but pure gameplay and it's an absolute blast.

Fuck off anti-shill, there is literally nothing wrong with interactive entertainment. You probably only hate the genre because they don't cater to you 100% you fucking baby ass shitlord.

I've always thought GoW was a shitty casualized DmC, but I really do feel sorry for the fans right now.

What Sony did to the IP is horrifying. This is what happens when you all circlejerk over Naughty Dogs SO DEEP AND MATURE generic movie plots, though.

It's not actually an art direction it's a game design philosophy

You know, I don't even mind cinematic trailers. What I mind is the fact that all of them were so boring and uninspired. Oh boy another zombie game and another game where some guy is in the wilderness. That's so boring.

You got all that from the small amount of gameplay they showed?

As long as sonyggers eat up movies disguised as games, Sony will continue to make them.

At least when Nintendo tried the same thing with Metroid Other M, it was rejected outright.

>light on QTE
>light on cutscenes
>good gameplay
What. How can somebody be so objectively wrong.

Just avoid them there will always be better games like M&B Bannerlord.

Now this is shilling

Yeah. That's the point of the demonstration, to show you how it plays. In this case you hold up on the control stick until an enemy appears and then you press square. Cutscenes happen every 2 seconds aprox.

>How long do we have to suffer with this cinematic realistic art direction trend in video games ?

Forever, because the casual market is now a large portion of sales.

Casuals suck at video games, so "games" you don't have to actually play suit them. And Polygon degenerates too, of course.

I'm actually really tired of it as well. Especially all the FPS games like it.

That's why I'm mostly a Nintendo and retro gamer.

TLoU gameplay was passable

The rest was garbage

>walking and talking
>moving a ladder or dumpster to jump on other thing
>walk and talk some more
>eventually make your way to a place that's extremely obvious there will be a fight

Not to mention the story was hilariously bad. Playing through the first part of the game honestly made me wanna drop it entirely

>trying to shill that game in other threads again
can you just stop already? you've been doing this all day despite the fact that there's a thread dedicated just to it.

that was a shitty game though and a very shitty story that doesn't replresent the character well

Don't forget when Microsoft does it, Xbox fans don't have that shit either.

>He likes interactive movies.

Why have we fallen so low?

oh wow you're so unique and special

What? I'm unique for stating my preferred video game tastes?

>Sup Forums suddenly hates the last of us

what happened?

Um excuse me but these games are not "movies" okay? So, if you can keep your shitposting to a minimum I think we can all get along in the end, mmkay sweetie?

>that was a shitty game though and a very shitty story that doesn't replresent the character well
AKA the new GoW.

So are a lot of the games that Naughty Dog makes, but people eat those up.

How many people defended the fact that 2 grown men got beat up by a single black woman, you still get beat up if you do the QTEs right and you don't get an actual showdown to get revenge for your previous defeats in Uncharted 4?

If I said Bloodborne would that make you feel better? It's just an example user.

How about you stop fucking whining and just play games you DO like and avoid the ones you don't?

>IT'S NOT FUCKING FAIRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

TLOU is one of the few cinematic games that balanced the walking and talking parts with good combat sections. No regenerating health, scarce ammo on higher difficulties, non-linear combat arenas that you could tackle in a variety of ways with explorable nooks and crannies. It had a couple of slip ups here and there, the part before you enter the school and all the zombies are magically alerted to your position even if you use perfect stealth being exemplary of them, but it was very good on the whole.

Sup Forums always hated The Last of Us, the amount of shilling from Sonyggers and the lust for Ellen Page is the only reason it might have looked different.

This place is basically neo gaf. If anything ms delivered as far As overall presentation went. But they aren't popular right now so nobody cares.

They're not completely there, but they are close. It's weird, modern trend with casual games nowadays.

It's the Western application of JRPG storytelling

You can blame your own weebshit fucking gaylord

>liking babies first zombie game
>with a script written by a hollywood dropout

NOPE

>Sup Forums suddenly hates the last of us
>what happened?
You realized that was just people ironic shitposting, people don't actually like the last of us.

Game design and proper mechanics in video games are basically dead.
Nintendo is pretty much the only company that values it anymore and they're almost dead too.

Interactive videos has won out over games.

Literally ITT

>the complaint around here would be "We need better stories in games," not "We need less stories in games."

You obviously don't know yet how Sup Forums works. Lurk a little more.

>Suddenly

Nobody likes movie shit from Naughty Dog especially after abandoning Jak and Crash Bandicoot for cinematic bullshit which is why there are never Uncharted 4 threads compared to BB and Overwatch.

He could make the point that there's so many new games coming out like it. A lot less to look forward to. It's a trend afterall.

>not the full version where the bald guy finds out the game is shit and he realizes he killed that guy for no reason

>TLoU gameplay was passable
>The rest was garbage

That's why the multiplayer was surprisingly good, until they added in buy-to-win weapon DLC.

yup but when sfv doesn't have a cinematic story, it's a shitty game

>game is lauded as having an excellent story
>it's an uncharted reskin where you kill zombies

It's kind of funny when you look at it this way. Japanese games were based heavily off western games, like Ultima and Wizardry. Modern western games are based heavily off Japanese games, most notably MGS. I dare say MGS is the father of the modern cinematic AAA shooter with an anti-war message, despite it not really being much of a shooter.

>devs make hugely successful 'cinematic bullshit' games.
>'we must put an end to this madness, people are enjoying our games too much'!

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Because good games rarely get made anymore.

>Few slip ups
>ladders
>Lots of glitches
>Retarded enemy AI that was greatly downgraded from the bullshot E3 demo.
>Immersion breaking partner can't alert guards even when they walk right in front of their face
>more ladders
>Combat areas usually only have 2 or 3 ways to tackle it as opposed to the countless ways advertised.

The shit with the AI alone should have caused outrage, but the Game Journalist community just ate it up and tried to present the game as the Citizen Kane of gaming, which proves they know nothing about film too.

Hopefully The Last of Us will win the award for most overrated game in the future.

Did you not watch Microsoft conference? They have story in their games but at least they actually value gameplay unlike Sony.

What game at the Microsoft conference didn't fall foul of what pretty much every modern game does?

The funny thing is gameplay still takes the forefront in a lot of JRPGs outside of AAA shit. The opposite is true for Sony games where the story is made first and they try to build gameplay around it.

>That's why I'm mostly a Nintendo and retro gamer.

It's basically driven by the "games are art" crowd who desperately and pathetically want games to be recognized as a "big boy medium" so they can tell their parents they aren't working on interactive toys but ART.

Of course because people with actual writing talent drift towards book writing, film scriptwriting, TV show scripwriting and playwriting, the game industry is left with nothing but the dropouts or the "GPA 2.0s" of the creative writing schools.

Gaming right now is literally like an inferior caricature of the Hollywood superhero movie flood. The quality of the CGI in gaming is much worse, and the story are even more awful.

real convenient how you faggots missed 's post so you can keep crying you're irrelevant tears.

Sony brought the house down btw

Sup Forums has no games

I don't understand why people say TLoU had a good story

Anyone with a brain could figure out the entire story by just looking at the cover and seeing a trailer with Ellie in it

Recore
Sea of Theves
Forza Horizon 3
Killer Instinct

>hundreds of genres and styles of games
>choose to play games from the category you hate so you can cry about it on Sup Forums

Loser.

>Nintendo values gameplay
>8 and 16 bit games were vastly about gameplay
Is that a bad thing to you?

Dude stop. I really liked TLoU but you're bullshitting yourself. It was a crate/ trashcan and ladder simulator with some stealth, and an decent story. Uncharted 4 was a climbing simulator with another decent story. I enjoy them, but it's hard to call them games.

That's not true at all. you're probably just old and bitter now. you sound like parents that hear music from today's age and say it's all shit. I feel like this is the majority of this forum. You either adapt with the times or get left behind, grandpa.

>How long do we have to suffer with this cinematic realistic art direction trend in video games ?

What's worse is that now 90% of indies have those untextured flat shading (NOT cell-shaded) graphics. They're all based on being "unique", but they all look the fucking same!

I cannot tell whether it is a shitty game yet, but I like god of war so I am pretty hype.

I didn't like the last of us' gameplay but I enjoy it's atmosphere. I only enjoyed it when I was pitted against other humans. I did like Uncharted 4 but don't I agree with the woman beating both drake and Sam.

>Including ladders twice even though those are included in the walking-and-talking parts
>"lots of glitches" when I played through every single difficulty only encountering one that happened multiple times, where molotov impacts and fires were invisible and enemies would burn to death to nothing
>I WATCHED SOME DUNKEY VIDEOS THAT SHOWED THE AI HUNG UP ON SOMETHING!
>Giving a shit that they actually made the partner not completely ruin the game when complaining about GAMEPLAY
>Bullshit "2 or 3 ways" out your ass because you want to lump all "shoot" and "stealth" and "shoot and stealth" possibilities and scenarios with different weapons and approaches together

Go fuck yourself. It didn't work when the game was released with you retards spamming FORGOTTEN IN A WEEK, it's not going to work 2 years after the game's release.

"Ladders" is the most brain dead, fucking retarded sign that a person gets their opinion from a Youtube personality. You pick up maybe 5 ladders in the game. You probably do the stupid raft shit for Ellie more times than you get a ladder.

You can talk down every fucking game ever created with this mindset.

this. JRPGs are truly the cancer of society.

>It's a cynic tries to sneak in idiotic criticisms of something by pretending he's actually a fan of it and has accepted it's "flaws" post

You can just say you don't like it if you want to take shots at it.

I can guarantee Recore has pretty much the same TPS mechanics that practically every modern TPS has and can also guarantee that any of its movement is very much like most games on the market (ie shit.
The others no doubt do in their own ways anyway simply from being made in the modern industry, but they're at least very gameplay focused.

Is this a troll post? All of those except maybe Recore (which looks bland as hell btw) are your average run of the mill genre games.

Horizon Zero Dawn has more interesting gameplay than all of those combined.

>That's not true at all.
Did we see the same E3?

>Only had to use ladders 5 times!
>Glitches were features! They'll get patched
>Damage control over the fact that the AI only has a few modes and don't take the environment and nearby weaponry into account like in the E3 demo.
>'We can't make a good AI buddy system, so let's just make her invisible to the enemy.'
>implying I'm wrong
So much damage control and shilling. It's Uncharted with a shitty crafting system and zombies. Ooo scary.

It is true that games from a pure gameplay and game design stand point are worse though.
The sheer fact that the industry values those things less makes that clear.

>Horizon Zero Dawn has more interesting gameplay than all of those combined.
I don't give a shit about the Xboner/Wangblows 10 games that guy mentioned but that game is literally just Far Cry Primal with robots.

oh boo hoo games aren't just mindless action anymore.

nothing wrong with a good story or being cinematic. It's only if that's ALL a game has.

what needs to end is stupid asshurt fanboys who have never played the games and probably haven't actually watched more than 5 minutes of footage while trying to act as a source of authority of everything the game did or didn't do.

>This is what devs have been trying to create for as long as there's been video games

>every dev in history wanted to make an open world TPS they just made a plethora of other inventive genres by mistake

>nothing wrong with a good story or being cinematic. It's only if that's ALL a game has.
Name one cinematic game with good gameplay.

But increased focus on story and being cinematic is making the action parts more and more mindless

can't make a good movie when the player is constantly at risk of dying

The fact that it had RPG mechanics (even a dialogue wheel) and unique weapons with mechanical horseback riding n shit puts it leagues above anything else showed 2bh.

>oh boo hoo games aren't just mindless action anymore.
They weren't just mindless action before though. You have a very narrow view of gameplay if you think it was just mindless action.

FFVII says hi

No. They're just for people who like math/quantifying traits, actions, characteristics, chance. Neato as fuck. They have no bearing on the discussion in this thread even if some brain dead faggot cites them as an answer to (or better than) cinematic games -- you're no better then those guys btw, you're just doing your own version of the retard dance at the opposite end of the spectrum.

>Ass effect stuff like a dialogue wheel makes it better
You can't be serious nigger.

Man Nintendrones and Sonycucks. Compared to the mess you guys have, MS already killed your sorry asses. We have Sony giving us movies instead of games and we have Nintendo giving us Skyrim Zelda more, Pokemon shit, no Metroid 5, and forced shitty gimmicks down our throats. The only props I'll give Sony is at least it had hype going in unlike the irrelevant gimmick company that killed their hype three months before the fucking event.

I like them. But they are they're own genre of games. Growing up playing DKC to this is a leap, but if I wanted to play games like DKC, I'd play DKC.

Thank fuck for Mario Maker. And you fuckers for creating good levels

>but whats wrong with a good story in a game
They all suck, they're worse than the mostz mediocre movies and those are already worse than the most mediocre books
Instead of bothering me with a c-tier story, the games ought to focus more on the gameplay