Alright, Sup Forums. After this shitshow of an E3 I'm finally taking the dive to PC gaming

Alright, Sup Forums. After this shitshow of an E3 I'm finally taking the dive to PC gaming.

Any tips for someone who's super overwhelmed by all the lingo and hardware mechanics?

Pic related. Friend of mine sent that to me. Already has me worried.

Bump, I'm pretty computer illiterate myself

After the Sony conference I went immediately to PC Part Picker, determined to get learned on all this PC shit but was instantly overwhelmed.

I have no clue what the CPU does, or the correct way to balance price with power for a particular build, etc.

Op is niggerfaggot with retarded brother

logicalincrements.com
have fun

It's really not necessary to know every single bit of information on that chart unless you want to make it a profession. Pieces are made for specific slots and things fit in to place.

FX8320e, gigabyte ud3p, 16GB DDR3 (just pick a cheap brand), cryorg H7, RX480, SEASONIC G 650W, Corsair 200r, Samsung 850 evo 250GB SSD, some 2TB HDD

Great and cheap-ish build for gaming.

that picture is old as fuck

Blotted out the irrelevant shit.

Inform your friend he's wasting his life with the A+

What is "cheap" though? $600? $800? $1000? I plan on saving up in the coming months so I won't really have a set budget till then.

He said it was old an fuck and largely not useful to me. He just saw it and decided to sent it cuz I mentioned I didn't know what half the stuff in a PC does.

i'd blot out micro-dvi
i've never met anything that uses it
also some motherboards still use PS2 ports

True

buy core i3 skylake 16ddr4 ram a good gpu gtx1070 is really nice, but you can start at 960 even an used gtx750 if youre short on money and also a good psu, any hard drive will do but you can buy and ssd for the os too

Spend what you want.
Just don't spend more than 350$ on the GPU. High end graphics cards are never worth it.

Can I ask why expensive cards aren't worth it? Is it something to do with the power/performance ratio?

About 800$ would be a good budget.

Horrible price to performance.
You pay double the price for 35% more performance.

>i have no idea what the core processing unit does

I was planning on shooting for that, so that's a relief.

I figured it was something to do with that.

Also, how often would I need to upgrade? I've heard some say a good PC can last years, and others say that they've had to upgrade every couple months.

As sad as it is, it's true. I've just never had the care to know how PC parts work and how they come together to make it complete.