So since Sony are replacing the PS4 after barely 3 years...

So since Sony are replacing the PS4 after barely 3 years, does this mean they're admitting that they fucked up and made a weak console? Same goes to Microsoft and Xbone.

It isn't being replaced. I'll keep my PS4 for as long as it has games. The next 10 years hopefullly.

Wasn't the GBA replaced after like 2 years?

only if you buy the 4k meme

On one hand, hopefully. The PS4 was a shitbox right out the gate.

On the other hand, the PS3 was a shitbox as well because of esoteric architecture.

A console should be allowed to exist for no more than 5 years and be powerful and easy to develop for as soon as it comes out, so that throughout its 5 years of life it can deliver constant 60fps in nice looking games.

The "25fps with drops" generation of the PS3 should never have existed and it lasted for too fucking long.

At least the PS4 has a ton of 60fps games, so hopefully we're getting there. And the VR meme should help ensure games at the very least come with a 60fps mode.

A lot happens in 3 years. If it had been economically viable to make the ps4,5 3 years ago, they probably would.

It'll be 4 years going on 5 years by the time it actually comes out.

4-5 years is the average time between generations. Last gens longevity was the exception, not the rule.

This is consoles going the way of PC. Why bother pouring cash into a brand new system when you can release the same one with more powerful hardware, ensuring total backwards compatibility?

Still PS4 is twice as powerful than NX is going to be.

>A console shouldn't be allowed to exist for more than 5 years
That's more or less the most retarded thing I've read all day.

It was 7 years between 2 and 3 user. This gens longevity hasn't been an aberration, it's a development.

Yup it's only a matter of time before regularly upgraded consoles become the norm. Not long after that before they become essential to play certain games. Across the board consolefags are already pretending they didn't militantly hate this idea a couple of years ago. At least it's one less argument they can use on PC.

Naw who am I kidding, it's consolefags. They'll thing of some kind of mental gymnastics that allows them to rationalize upgrading regularly and not PC.

Same thing goes for the Wii U. 4 years.

its ok, if PC does it. new GPU every 2 years?

The Wii U got replaced because it flopped hard, the PS4 is one of the fastest selling console of all time.

No the PS4 will continue to be supported as long as the PS4K. The point of the PS4K is to give the platform more longevity. The point of it is to make the PS4 games hold up better when the console is at the end of its life cycle. It also gives PS4 gamers a better replacement when their console dies

consoles have always had newer revisions

No, it makes perfect sense. 5 years is the tried and tested sweet spot during which to deliver experiences that are considered to be "current and high quality" by the owners.

If you can deliver something with amazing graphics at 60fps, over the course of 5 years it will become "acceptable graphics at 60fps". Wait any longer and you either drop the graphics, the framerate or both below acceptable levels and your purchase starts reeking of shitbox.

Yet the new revisions never came with a massive increase in power.

They needed suckers to finance the new console.

Yes, it was one of the drawbacks remember?

Are consolecucks so deluded by fanboyism they collectively forgot shitting all over this aspect of PC gaming? It's ok now that Sony and Microsoft do it I guess.

40M consoles sold
that's not a fucked up

As long as GS has a "trade in your old PS4 for the new one" kinda deal like they usually do where I don't have to spend over $200 I'll be good.

Same with the NX, but I highly doubt it and won't do if the NX does not play Wii U games.

Yes it's a huge success but releasing the Neo now is just sending the message that the PS4 is a weak console that can't even last 3 years on its own.

Basically, yeah. I see these revisions as the best possible solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place.

>the point of the 32x and Sega CD are to give the console more longevity

It doesn't make sense, because no company could sustain the cost of such a rapid turnover anymore, since the market isn't there for it.

*Rent also count as "sale"

>PC gaming was right along: The post

I just hope it's 4k memeing going on. I'm playing on a 23" screen anyway, so it's not like I'll be needing it. If they go the PC way and make upgrades mandatory, I'll just ditch console exclusives altogether. I play cross-platform shit on my PC anyway, and it looks like M$ is trying to make their XBoxes official Windows, giving PC access to those titles.

Sony are playing the move smarter than that. They are taking these exact criticisms very seriously and will continue to push the original PS4 as the main platform to develop for. The PS4K is only supposed to play the same content at higher resolutions and consistent frame rates while remaining affordable.

The Sega CD an 32X are nothing like this. They were intended for their own exclusives. The PS4k is only meant to make the PS4's exclusives run consistently at higher resolutions

If anything Microsoft's console is more worrying since it looks like they are abandoning the Xbox One

>If anything Microsoft's console is more worrying since it looks like they are abandoning the Xbox One
Not to mention it is pretty obvious that Scorpio doesn't even really exist yet, and MS is just describing what they want to release in 1 and a 1/2 years. Sony is probably working on a PS5 right now, but they have no reason to tell us about it.

Microsoft is only announcing Scorpio because they want this Gen to end asap. But with only wishful thinking and no Console or games to go with it.

It means they admit the concerto of console is degenerate to begin with. Now you will just be getting prepackaged pc, and may potentially even have multiple models every year

nintendo's portable strategy is:
> new generation with generally new guts but at least one glaring problem
> refresh model a few years later that fixes problem but adds another one
> late model half-gen upgrade that almost everybody ignores

GB -> GB Lite -> GBC
GBA -> GBA SP -> GBA micro
DS -> DS Lite -> DSi
3DS -> 3DS XL -> n3DS

The PS4 and Xbone are more powerful compared to release date than any other consoles ever made

It's so weird how Sup Forums is so utterly confused about so much shit especially as it relates to video game history. Like so many of you just play games all day but don't understand anything about them. This is the most frightening kind of ignorance, the kind that trailer trash types display of the world

not trying to hijack this shit but dont feel like making a new thread for nothing.

i wanna get a console to play titles i missed out on.
mostly skewing toward ps4 desu.

the announcement of xbone s kinda makes me unease buying a ps4 thou.

what do?

you realize that 90% of the Neo threads are people who don't even own a PS4 to begin with, right?

Nobody with a brain that already has a console is going to upgrade, and most people who don't are just going to buy the base model when the prices get cut

>If you can deliver something with amazing graphics at 60fps
What's the fucking deal with 60fps? We are talking about consoles, almost all memorable games run in 30fps or less. Sooner or later you have to drop the fps and 99% of people don't care about them.

your comment has absolutely nothing to do with my post, why reference?

I'm glad they come out because that means PS4 price will drop and I'll be able to afford one right when it finally has a decent amount of good games