How important is CPU in gay-man PC?

are we replacing thermal paste?

>mfw i dropped 30C off load temps. from 95C to 61C thanks to the thermal Jew and a couple fans

>I did 1ghz overclock and temps are still 30C lower. holy Jesus on a stick

how often are you supposed to change the paste? I've had my PC for a year and a half.

Go back to console gaming please

Less important than your GPU.

A mid to high end i5 is still plenty sufficient for gaming, graphics will always be the bottleneck unless your processor is absolutely ancient. Just now are games actually starting to utilized 2-4 threads.

well the thermal Jew meme has some truth to it. at 95C Doom was stutterin a bit due to cpu heat

also 1ghz OC helps make things a bit smoother

>mfw FX-6300 running at 4.5ghz with a shitty cooler from CoolerMaster

>tfw still 2500k

CPU hardly matters worth shit in most games. GPU is really the main variable in terms of FPS in most games.

Yeah, welcome to 6 years ago. Don't help the Xbox players transition to PC just because their console is about to die. Fuck them for not changing sides sooner.

30c with different paste? It sounds like you applied it like shit when you first did it.

i got the gaming pc from a retard chav

I use a 580 card with a 4.4 ocd intel. I emulate more than I play current gen games. I might update my card to a 970 so I can play witcher 3 and doom. I heard the 480x is shit at dual weilding

dont be a silly nigga.

most people never change it at all

op here. change it when gaming temps start becoming stupid

Would an i7 be more future-proof than an i5 or would that be a waste?

My Core i5-2500K only ever utilizes one quarter or half of its power for any particular game since almost nothing ever makes use of more than one core. Unless some overwhelming breakthrough in processing technology takes place (and not just "make it smaller"), it'll probably be all you need for another decade.

I was having some trouble with my old heatsink collecting dust in hard to clean nooks and there was a very noticeable decrease in performance and stability when a CPU is at greater than 70° even to the point that the PC would force a shutdown to prevent permanent damage. So I upgraded to an enclosed liquid cooling system on my CPU and now it's impossible for it to go above 40° Celsius no matter the load I put it under. Everything runs smoothly.

I'm still using an HD7870 from 2012 and I'm still able to play everything at better than 60FPS (just have to turn a lot of graphics down in some games). I may finally upgrade that sometime this year just because a few of the most recent games are getting to the point where it can no longer maintain a solid frame rate.

It would be more future proof and perform better, but if you only have a 60Hz screen, go for a memelake i5 or a FX8350

i5 is enough for gaming, just don't try to do something cpu heavy on the side while a game is running

that said the i7 and i5 sandy bridges from when you were still in elementary school has stood the test of time

>i7 950 @35°C thanks to H70
>HD 6870
I guess I'll buy the RX 480.

>My Core i5-2500K only ever utilizes one quarter or half of its power for any particular game since almost nothing ever makes use of more than one core

Stop playing games from 2008. Nearly every new game is using up to 8 cores.

>future proof
Love this meme.

hello my fellow HD6000 brother
6970 here

There's no exact changing date. I had my PC about 6 years befire I changed it. Though the fans were dan liud over the last two years until I finally couldn't stand the nouse anymore.
My cpu was at like 95 degree celsius all the time.

>Nearly every new game is using up to 8 cores.
Name five examples. No, they cannot be unoptimized AAA garbage like Fallout 4.

This, do the smart thing and buy high-end AMD. They're better for Bitcoin mining too, so you could be making money while you game.

GTA V
Dying light
Dragons dogma
Ashes of the singularity
The Witcher 3
MGS V

>mfw Q6600

I must have gone through a wormhole and not noticed it because I'm pretty sure the new DOOM and Witcher 3 didn't come out that long ago.
>2008 was thirty years ago

Generally less important the GPU, but its the second most important thing. i7 is pointless and as long as you get an i5 at a decent speed you're fine. amd a shit for processors

>pentium G3450
>literal shit house CPU, barely playing games made past 2012
>still able to get about 120FPS in CSGO
>Upgrade to i7 4790K 4.0GHZ
>streaming like it aint no-thang while playing the latest games

its like being blind your whole life and suddenly being able to see in 20-20 vision

>CPU bitcoin mining
Not really a good idea. Everyone is using ASIC miners now.

>Plebs

>Dragons dogma
what

Both make pretty good use of 8 cores.
Especially Witcher 3

Can you even run Overwatch with it ?

>Buying a Blizzard Product after WoD
They can't get me again m8

Look at this atrocious spelling and realize this is the average fag who changes his TP

It's a fun game user.

Not him but what about it?

Weird question guys.

CPU and GPU idle temps are fine at ~28C and still low when in game.

My motherboard though idles at 50C but actually gets lower when I game.

Is 50 idle OK or should I figure out what's doing this and sort it?

are there actual performance gains from having dragon's dogma use 8 cores?

>My motherboard though idles at 50C but actually gets lower when I game.
What sorcery is this?

What cpu should I get if I have a r9 390? I doubt I'll ever overclock if that helps.

your airflow must be ass then. Find out what's wrong with it. Also post your speccy

intel, amd cpu + amd gpu is ass

Which intel? would an I5 be enough to get me 60fps?

>not the 5770

you made some bad life decisions

So I still have an i5-3570.

Will Cannonlake be worth it?
I hear Kaby Lake isn't too large of a leap.

Either one, which ever fits your budget more

that depends on the game, it always depends on the game, you could have the strongest build but a badly optimized triple A game will bring it down to its knees

an i5 skylake will do

I use my own cum as thermal paste. It works great but smells bad if I over clock.

Depends on what games you wanna play senpai

You mean the average fag who doesn't change TP?

what's a good goal for a "modest" OC on a i5-6600K? I read reviews where people where saying they took theirs up to like 4.4Ghz but I don't know if that takes autismo watercooling magic or what

he did change his thermal paste like a good little reddit meme victim

If you want to use more modern emulators cpu matters.

ever heard of the silicon lottery? if you got a bad one you won't even be able to hit 4.0 GHz

Well if it's a decent heatsink around that range would be fine, give or take a bit.

>tfw i5-2500k overclocks were hitting 4.5 OC on the stock cooler

now you have to delid if you want lower temps to go with that OC

Who gives a shit about CPU temp? As long as you don't go over 90 you should be good. There's no reason to be autistic about it.

well fuck

poorman here.

how much does a i5 6500 benefit from higher clocked RAM like 2800 mhz or 3200 compared to the 2166 clocked ram?
trying to choose my new motherboard being as barebone as possible since i dont need many features.

Got my 4770k @ 4.5ghz, i'm normally matching or beating review benchmarks of the 1080 by pro reviewers. Gonna delid it soon and push for 4.8ghz.

Only want to upgrade so I can move my kit into a Node 804.

>over 90

What kind of shit cpu cooler do you got? I never even go over 60's.

Why the fuck would anyone let their CPU temp to 95C? How fucking retarded are you?

Jesus, if my shit goes past 60-70 in the summer and 50 in the winter, I investigate immediately.

I OC to max my CPU can go on stock cooler. My i5 2500k has been running like that since release, and it hits 85-86 on max load. I don't give a shit, though. My old dual core has been running in the 80s since 2008 and is still perfectly fine.

That poor, excellent cpu.
You're torturing it.

Not quite the best analogy. Many former blind people have extreme difficulty, and revert back to old habits. Even to the point of keeping their eyes closed while climbing stairs or walking, because it disorients them.
A lot of them also have a hard time learning what texture or color means visually.

>stock cooler
literally why? Just drop 25 bucks on something better like a Coolermaster 212 Evo and your temps will drop like crazy.

It doesn't really make a difference. Room temperature stays the same no matter how hot your CPU gets. Water cooling and aftermarket heatsinks are the biggest waste of money imaginable... If heat was really an issue then Intel would ship their processors with a better heatsink.

are people itt actually replacing their paste?

what the fuck

But I could spend that $25 on something else for my computer that will actually do something useful.

welcome to Sup Forums

When the temperatures start going too high.

Mine was going to 82C so I got a new CPU fan, case fan and thermal paste

Lookup DigitalFoundry on youtube, if you have a Skylake quadcore I don't think 2000mhz - 3000mhz makes a difference for you.

It can make a slightly significant difference if you have an i3-6100 though in games like Ryse and GTAV. But for the other 99.9% of games it will make absolutely no difference or a difference of 1-2fps.

Try the witcher 3 then come back. Or battlefield, arma3,

All those will use the cpu basically to the limit

that's unless you actually use the computer

that's not true. Witcher 3 barely uses the CPU at all.

This is my idle temperature in the middle of the night (albeit in a heatwave on the west coast)

Am I fucked? Trying to play a game like Overwatch generally makes me cap out at 60

>not having your idle above 70's

you are a scrub.

that goes beyond the typical shitposting on Sup Forums tho

Enough of your shit. I played witcher 3 at 1280x720 with a nearly 10 year old phenom ii x4 965 and switched to a new i3-6100 and got maybe a +5fps difference at most.

Witcher 3 is very much GPU bound as long as you don't have a completely terrible CPU, even considering my phenom 965 was barely over the edge of being garbage.

Even the difference between an i3-6100 and a new i7 in Witcher 3 is like +5fps, and the i3-6100 is only a dual core with hyper threading.

>Water cooling and aftermarket heatsinks are the biggest waste of money imaginable

Are you genuinely retarded?

so why did it push my old i5-4460 to 100% usage.

Witcher3 is probably the best known came for being so cpu heavy you fucking cretin.

>I played witcher 3 at 1280x720
>1280x720
So this is how toasters get away with it.

I'd say he can, my 5850 gets 60-fps on high.

Nice I have a i7 950 and I had a 6870. To risk getting abused I upgraded to a fury x. Wish I 18 months for Vega.

The 6870 is coming out of retirement for my budget Marx build

70+ is yellow alert 80+ is red alert
learn this fucking cooler faggots

A better processor won't really increase your idle FPS in Witcher 3, it will just make it stutter less when running into populated areas. For example, on a 2500k TW3 stutters down to 57-59 FPS while running through cities.

This doesn't happen even with the current gen i3.

no

>aftermarket heatsinks are the biggest waste of money imaginable... If heat was really an issue then Intel would ship their processors with a better heatsink.

This. I bought a i7-6700k, and they didn't even ship it with a heatsink, so how how important can they be? Mine gets a little hot sometimes with my OC but if it breaks I'll just send it in under warranty.

Maybe your CPU temps were too high, bad thermal paste or improper seating of the heatsink or any number of things. An i5-4460 with a good GPU maxes Witcher 3.

>implying oc'ing didn't void your warranty

Dream on.
also 1280x720. Please come back when its 1920x1080.
ps I get 100 plus fps on ultra.

I have 110 hours in ARMA 3.
Only 40% to 50% no matter how many NPCs I spawn in Zeus.

Nice try, computers won't even boot without a CPU fan plugged in.

it doesnt, i tried it with my 1080gpu. This is why I know exactly what it can and cant do.
Also when you say maxed do you mean everything? because I did, Hair 8x etc and all post processing to max.

so, who of this CPUs is bottlenecking?