I've played in 60hz my whole life. Will switching to 144hz blow my mind?

I've played in 60hz my whole life. Will switching to 144hz blow my mind?

I've done research and I don't quite understand the difference between the two.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bGb6DGZJG84
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Probably not

Seem you havn't done enough research.

Why?

144 is a bit smoother but the difference is less noticeable than the jump from 30 to 60.

You'll notice it but it won't blow your mind like the transistion from 30 -> 60 did. 1080p to 1440p on the other hand will blow you away and I'd suggest trying to get a monitor that does 1440p144

The transition blew my mind, OP, even from the first moment I moved my mouse about the desktop and noticed how infinitely smoother the movement was.

You'll be able to max out any older game to 144FPS. I did this with Max Payne and I had so much fun, but if you have a beefy enough setup, you'll be able to achieve it with modern games too. I finished Hard Reset Redux (that'll max out on even a toaster) playing at 144hz and it was a joy.

Even modern games that won't reach the full 144FPS will still benefit. I hover around 100-120 on Battlefield 4 maxed out and it makes a huge difference.

>I'd suggest trying to get a monitor that does 1440p144
Those are really really expensive for me and I keep hearing horror stories about them about backlight bleeding and lots of returns.

Also, doesn't high resolution just give more screen real estate? What other benefits does it have?

>The human eye can't percieve more than 60 fps anyway
nice meme

Do you have adaptive sync? Is it worth it?

what? no, resolution does not give more screen real estate, that's just the size of your monitor

Oh. What are the benefits of higher resolutions then in gaming?

Sorry about this, I am new to buying monitors. I am currently on a generic 720p I got as a gift.

I heard that if you have a 144hz display and watch a 60 fps youtube video or something it will be stuttery because 60 is not a multiple of 144. Any truth to this?

>mfw when a toaster and a xbox360 are my current set up
>mfw i haven't played a game in 60 fps since 2007/2008 when i had a slightly powerfull PC.

At least when i get a gaming rig my dick will explode with the high quality/60+ fps.

>720p
oh my god i'm so sorry

1080p will blow your mind mate, forget 144Hz

Go to youtube and compare a video at 480p with a video at 720p. Thats what difference high resolution makes.

Just moving my mouse after enabling 144hz blew my mind.

Not true

Having double the FPS is a huge fucking improvement for any reasonably fast paced games. FPS, TPS, Driving, it's all pretty fantastic.

I'd say it's well worth it. Going back to 60 now feels kinda garbage. It's just so jittery to me now.

>what? no, resolution does not give more screen real estate

Yes it does for anything that does PPI scaling of screen element (see: every software made after 2006).

Just look at the usable screen space in the UI on something like Unity or Premiere on 1080p vs 4K

I went from never using above 60hz to a 3440x1440 75hz monitor and 75hz blows my mind

The "stutter" would be similar to NTSC 2:3 pulldown, ie you wouldn't really notice it until it's side by side.

FPS over Resolution any day.

I'll gladly play at a lower resolution in return for higher frame rates. Feelings smooth and fast response is better than a few less jaged edges on the screen.

Especially if your eyes aren't great anyway.

my dick literally twitched when I bought SotFS and played it for the first time compared to original DS2

I got to demo one of those monitors at an event and damn do I want one so bad.

yeah

still doesnt look as buttery as a crt monitor would

What the fuck don't you understand? It's just more frames.

This is the one I got and I love it, it's curved and has FreeSync support.

I got it for $55. EVGA is sending me a 1080 Superclocked ACX3 so I should be able to get 75hz maxed in every game I play including ARMA3

that depends on what you mean by screen real estate

a higher resolution isn't magically going to make the screen physically bigger, it's just going to cram more shit into the same physical screen space

Really? i've seen pictures of it and played the original DS2 on xbox 360 and didn't really noticed that much of an improvement.
Its not like it looks like the early build with the orgasmic lightning.

But, i don't really care about graphics as long as the game runs well.
Wich i can't have because games in this piece of shit notebook both look and run like fucking shit.

>I've done research and I don't quite understand the difference between the two.

Are you a fucking retard?

>including ARMA3

Should we tell him?

Not OP.

I'm building my first rig and I'm considering monitors. Do I go for 1080/144 or 1440/60?

It blew mine, at least. Everything looks incredibly smooth, and it'll make 60 fps feel choppy as hell.

i agree, a crt looks like ass

dohohoho

I already get 60hz 3440x1440 on my 980ti so I should be able to get 75hz @ 3440x1440 with SMAA 4x

Probably, yes.

I use 144hz and it's so much smoother. You can't imagine it until you experience it.

If I go to 60hz now it feels like choppy shit.

Do you want better and sharper IQ? Get the 1440/60 (make sure it's IPS)

Do you want smooth and fluid frames while you play? Get the 1080/144 (Sadly has no IPS but the TN's are decent)

You can't go wrong with either honestly.

To me it means how much usage every inch of the screen can give. 1440P is a big improvement over 1080. I'd know,because i have both a 1440p and 1080p screen standing next to eachother.

depends on what games you play. if you play fps get a 144hz but if you play stuff like rpgs the higher framerate isn't as important so you might want the 1440p more. or you could be a true patrician and get 1440p/144hz
get it. if you thought 60 was smooth 144hz will blow you away. going back to 60 is painful for me now

1440/144

The monitor is the way you experience everything you'll ever use your computer for, don't cheap out on it.

Could you put that in layman's terms for a fucking retard?

I don't think I have the money for a 1440/144, since most of my budget went to a 1070

1440/144 is too expensive right now

So are you from 2013 or poor? Because they can be had for $550 on sale, that is not "too expensive" for anyone who isn't 14, NEET or living in Brazil.

no.

Then you'll have to buy a 1080 to be able to play most games 1440p 144hz.

Or Australia. The Acer Pedator one is $899 here

>frames per second
>hz

Maybe. Around 90 fps is where I stop noticing much of a difference, and I cap my frames in demanding games because wildly fluctuating framerate bothers me more than a cap around 60 or so. Doesn't bother me at all, whereas I'd rather gouge my eyes out than play at 30 fps.

Costs close to 700€ here. Just for the monitor. Add another 1k+ for the PC.

I found there to be quite a difference

i got an asus mg278 on sale for $400. best purchase of my life.
>1070
basically do you want your games to look prettier with better color, or do you want your shooters to run smoother and less choppy?
IPS is the panel you want if you get 1440p, IPS means the colors look much better and more accurate.

My problem with 144 is the pretty much absence of IPS and so shit looks weird if you look at it wrong.

I use a BenQ XL2411Z (1080p, 1ms, 144hz) and everything looks quite good to me after initially fiddling with the options a little bit.

Of course a good IPS will look better, but my main interest is in playing games, not doing photo work or watching only movies.

Pretty pictures = 1440

Smoother gameplay = 144hz.

i am living in turkey its like 2500$ with the taxes

you fucks talk abou these monitors i still play at 720p kill me

physical screen size is important too

although the difference is mostly a technical point since higher res usually means a larger screen

1440p is mostly all 27inch but if you're shopping for 1080p or ultrawides there are a few sizes you can choose from for the same resolution which do meaningfully affect user experience

Be aware OP, some games do not handle 144FPS well.

wow turkish bro , selam.

It's a noticeable difference, but higher resolution or monitor size have a bigger wow factor.
144HZ is only worth it if you play a lot of CS:GO or Quake

It probably will throw you off for a bit, after a while you'll adapt to it, and then if you try going back to 60fps you'll be fucked.

In my experience, I grew up playing games at 30fps on console, then I got a PC and couldn't go back to 30fps after becoming accustomed to 60fps. With 144hz, it's more or less the same. I didn't really noticed a first, but now whenever I play something at 60fps I can tell. For example I can no longer play CSGO at 60fps without feeling like the game isn't running very well.

If you're going to buy one of those new fangled 1440p/144hz IPS (AHVA) monitors, do yourself a favour and buy the ASUS version, not the Acer.

Both use the same panel, that comes from a factory with 0 quality control standards. Return rates are astronomical so the big difference in the brands is the return agreements.

Acer has the worst monitor return rules ever. On a panel of that resolution you need to have at least 15 dead pixels in 1cm square area for it to qualify for return under Acer, anything less is considered "fine for use"

ASUS on the other hand will return it for a single dead pixel, any level of backlight bleed or dirt under the panel (all things a massive percentage of these panels suffer from)

i have a 144hz monitor. I'm happy with 90+ fps and it's noticeable when a game dips below that to me :/

I would advise against getting it. just be happy in your ignorance. seriously.

144hz is even godly when just moving around the desktop or dragging a folder somewhere or browsing

you'll never go back to 60hz

aleykum selam.
why not gta v or other games like that

>Of course a good IPS will look better, but my main interest is in playing games, not doing photo work or watching only movies.

Unless you're playing black and white games, colours matter everywhere. I'll never fucking touch a TN again. I will never understand why you fools accept that god awful washed out palette and 0 viewing angles just because you think you're getting 1ms panels because of marketing bullshit.

That's a tough call, really. It doesn't help that the prices are in a similar range. I'm really thinking it'll be best to wait until 1440/144 becomes more standard or IPS for 144 is a thing. So I'm probably gonna go with 1440, because I know everything will work normally at 60 and 60 looks just fine to me right now. But I'm not sure. I don't play a lot of twitch shooters.

If I'm going for 144, that's what I'm looking at.

youtube.com/watch?v=bGb6DGZJG84

>144 FPS
>144 FPS
>144 FPS
>144 FPS

Wait I'm god damn confused. Aren't hz and fps different things? Like hz refers to the refresh rate of your monitor while fps refers to how many images are displayed on aforementioned monitor during a span of time (per second)?

>144hz is even godly when just moving around the desktop or dragging a folder somewhere or browsing

>Have 144hz main monitor and 60hz secondary
>Drag folder from main to secondary
>Suddenly looks stuttery as fuck

Every time.

Bought a 1440p@144Hz screen half a year ago but generally speaking 144Hz has a lot of issues and I don't recommend it unless you "need" it for a particular experience - that is low-input-latency gaming for fast paced titles, of wich there aren't many. 120/144Hz is only worth it if you can keep releatively stable framerates - if you can't everything will feel sluggish as input-lag spikes each time frame rate takes a dive.

Currently you'll run into several recurring issues thanks to the fact that most new titles are console centered multiplatform releases which can't handle the whole 144Hz thing very well. Many games are frame-locked, in particuarly indie-games. Most games are badly optimized and get bottlenecked by the CPU due to bad threading.
Then there's the general quality issue - went through 11 different screens spread over 4 manufacturers until I got one without backlight bleeding and uniformity issues. Can't say how long the screen will last either as it's only half a year old. Perhaps it's better with 1080p@144Hz, didn't try as I wanted the resolution increase.

If you get a 120/144Hz screen, also go get a mouse with a polling rate of at least roughly 300Hz. 500Hz is the most common value for quality mice you'll find when going higher than the default 125 and such probably what you'll end up getting. 1000Hz is too much and can make CPU-bottlenecking worse in certain games as the hardware can't keep up with the I/O spam.

One thing about 1440p - regardless of refresh rate: There's almost no native content. You have to stretch 1080p videos, UIs in games will often cause issues, most games have tiny text and UI elements and even Windows 7,8 and 10 have trouble scaling well. Linux handles high resolutions better because it's easier to customize everything. The same applies to 4K but there it's even worse, don't bother with it until software has caught up.

There is barely any difference

because GTA V is not a twitch shooter and you can't render GTA V at 144Hz unless you spend $1500 on GPUs, at which point you should be playing 4k or 5760x1080 anyway

>done research
>don't undrstand
Are you some kind of special retard?

how the hell same pc give one monitor 144 and the other one 60? are you using 1 graphic card for each monitor?

They don't mean the same thing, but almost equate to the same thing. A 60 Hz monitor can display ~60 FPS, a 144 Hz can display ~144 FPS

what's the point

it's gotten to the point where better hardware doesn't meaningfully improve things

instead of games looking better, the future is just games looking the same but the developers needing to put in less effort

you're not going to be able to get 1440p144fps because developers are lazy pieces of shits who see more powerful hardware as a ticket to care not a whit about optimisation

thats why we advice people g-sync monitors

>it's gotten to the point where better hardware doesn't meaningfully improve things

Having a panel that is 1440p with IPS colour gamut but running at 144hz is a big fucking thing

>There's almost no native content
I'm this guy and that's my biggest worry about 1440. I've honestly considered just going with fucking 1080/60 because that's standard for EVERYTHING and I would never have issues on anything new. I've seen very few games with native 1440 support.

>A 60 Hz monitor can display ~60 FPS, a 144 Hz can display ~144 FPS

Aight.

So getting a 144hz monitor without the GPU to back it up would be fucking pointless yeah?

>you're not going to be able to get 1440p144fps

I ge tit all the time, thanks. You see having special shadows that are 5% sharper but 500% more demanding is needless. I'll take high at 1440/144 over max at 45fps

read the last sentence

this is wrong, there is a huge difference
this is good advice, 144hz is only god-tier when you get it for special games, namely twitch shooters that you don't mind lowering the settings on so you get a solid 144 FPS. if you play stuff like dark souls, witcher 3, fallout and GTA get 1440p because you probably can't run those in 144 FPS anyway

>One thing about 1440p - regardless of refresh rate: There's almost no native content. You have to stretch 1080p videos, UIs in games will often cause issues, most games have tiny text and UI elements and even Windows 7,8 and 10 have trouble scaling well.

I have had a 2560x1600 monitor since 2009 and this is absolute horseshit. Windows has no scaling issues, no software I use has issues, nothing

There is a grand total of ONE game in my 300+ I've tallied up in Steam since 2009 that have has had an issue with it was unsurprisingly a shitty Jap game with a hard locked resolution cap.

getting WQHD @ 144Hz requires a GPU that can easily do 4k@60Hz. At that point you should really be playing in 4k because sharpness.

So what happens with videos that aren't even available in 1440?

>I've played in 60hz my whole life

so you never had a CRT monitor?

They look no different scaled to 1440p than they look playing on my 1080p monitor side monitor.

Not him but I had 5 CRTs growing up and 4 of them were out of the box at 60 and required massive resolution drops to go higher, my final one was 75 at 1024x768

>Will switching to 144hz blow my mind?
only for the games that actually support it

So like 95% of my steam library?

Stop buying chink garbage and you'll be surprised how many don't have FPS caps.

The image will look way sharper because theres more pixels to display, youll need a good graphics card though. Another advantage is that you wont need Antialiasing as much since you wont have jaggies at 1440p

Which is a big chunk of them.

did you get it on asscreed unity on launch?

bf4 on launch?

batman ak on launch?

fallout 4 on launch?

xcom2 on launch?

and probably even more triple a titles with horrendous optimisation that i can't remember

>inb4 i only play 'good games'

Which is like majority of modern games right now.

The only "big" modren games not supporting it are Bethesda games and Souls. Even then there are still workarounds.

>since you wont have jaggies at 1440p

1440p here, this is the biggest lie about this resolution. Every game is still aliased to ass, god forbid the game feature power lines.

yes

Fallout 4 wasn't that terrible besides the godrays bullshit.