youtube.com/watch?v=IgWzv5D6188&index=37&list=PL872AD995380F7FA0
youtube.com/watch?v=WjweAnyooAQ&index=38&list=PL872AD995380F7FA0
youtube.com/watch?v=Ml8WA1mjqjo&list=PL872AD995380F7FA0&index=43
youtube.com/watch?v=uH4sD5sSyFA
youtube.com/watch?v=oFgMpFwDLtg
youtube.com/watch?v=bkIhvprU7FI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Capcom is discussing it.

Is its bastard child with Dark Souls of any interest to you? In that case, Nioh might be what you're looking for.

they could set it during shiro amakusa's rebellion.
and they could make him the new genma lord, since in real life, Shiro cursed and said that he would return as a demon before his head got chopped off.

When Nioh appeared last year and it got everyone saying "Gee, weren't the first three Onimushas good?", Capcom "coincidentally" said in a press release that they'd consider making a new one if there was sufficient demand.

If Nioh ends up selling well, you can bet your butt it'll be back, though the question remains, do you even want modern Capcom to give Onimusha a stab?

youtube.com/watch?v=D7gmIaN-Hfg

>you'll never listened this for the first time
youtube.com/watch?v=F3589zFsgBo

I doubt it.

The series had a good run, though. Every single game in the series is good (barring the spinoffs) and has at least one area in which they excel compared to the others, so none of them are "obsolete."

How would you guys rank the games? I know 1 is probably the most dated, but I thought it was amazing back when it came out and it's probably still my favorite one because of its atmosphere. 2 is all around solid, but I've never found it that memorable for whatever reason. 3 had really fun combat, but I didn't care for the story or the France parts. 4 felt very different from the rest of the games and it's always been my least favorite, but it's not terrible.

I guess my ranking would be

1>3>2>4

Though 2 and 3 are almost equal for me.

2 > Genma 1 > 3 > Vanilla 1 > DoD

12 years on and I'm still annoyed that Reno was barely actually in 3.

Fuck, I've never played Genma, but I hear it's great. I'd kill for an hd remaster of it.

How often do you run into this little bitch and is she actually a threat or just a throwaway mini boss?

QUICK, TELL ME MY NAME

Yes

youtube.com/watch?v=wVSH3daRzQE

Devs literally said this game was inspired by Onimusha

I've only played 3 and 4 (should I go back and play 1 and/or 2?), but I actually think 4 is better. I like the characters of 3 better, but 4 was somehow always more replayable for me.

>should I go back and play 1 and/or 2?

Yes, they're great games.

2 is bad, or at least the "Gimme gifts to unlock side-quests" was really bad to me

Also Jubei has no character, that face that you see in OP's pic, you will see the entire game

Gogandantes?

4>3>2>1
those who place 1 and 2 at the top are nostalgiafags.

Remasters of them won't ever happen sadly, Capcom basically said they're just not economically viable enough to be worth doing, considering they have to pay out the very expensive sales royalties to Kaneshiro, Matsuda's estate and Jean Reno for their likenesses.

And yeah, she's VERY tough if you don't know what you're doing. She can take more of a beating than Nemesis ever could.

GOOOOOGANDANTESS, THE GREATEST SWORDSMAN OF ALLLL DEMONS!

Yeah, 1 and 2 are still excellent, assuming you're fine with tank controls. If you have an OG Xbox, get the version of the original on that over the PS2, it runs better and has some additional content that makes it the superior of the two.

In the state Capcom is in? Eeehh.

Devil May Cry is still the franchise they'll go to first when it comes to pandering to what people have been clamouring for, next would probably be a new Megaman.

Sorry Onimusha fans but I think that franchise is like third or fourth place when it comes to old IP's Capcom would potentially dig up

Shit, that's a good point.

>considering they have to pay out the very expensive sales royalties to Kaneshiro, Matsuda's estate and Jean Reno for their likenesses.

Goddamnit, you're absolutely right : (

>She can take more of a beating than Nemesis ever could.

Wow, that sounds great. I guess I'll have to look for it on ebay or something.

4>3>1>2

I enjoyed all of them, though. 2 was my least favorite because it couldn't match either the atmosphere of the original or the action of the later entries, but I liked the plotline branches and NPC interactions it has.

I guess DMC won then. It's sad that they came out around the same time as experiments on the same RE style, but only one could survive in the end.

First three games are fantastic, but never actually finished Dawn of Dreams because of how retarded the camera was. I made it kind of far but constantly kept getting fucked by enemies from my blind spot in a chaotic situation. It was a level where I was storming some place with the gun-wielding chick and then I had enough.

God that cunt's second encounter was frustrating if you went in with bad stats and no healing items

Quick, claim you're Onimusha waifu!

Don't forget Dino Crisis.

The impact Resident Evil had on Capcom as a developer and the industry in general can't be overstated

You absolutely should, copies on eBay are worth next to nothing, unlike a lot of other cult OG Xbox games (I had to pay through the nose when i wanted to track down a copy of Otogi 2 a few years ago).

The creepy doll brings a sense of urgency into the game that wasn't there in the original, which is fantastic. Also the green orbs were really cool, I was sad they never featured in any other games in the franchise.

I remember reading an interview with Inafune in Edge years and years ago where he said much the same thing, actually. Onimusha gradually grew less and less popular over time, which was largely attributed by Capcom themselves to DMC basically just outmuscling it.

Considering how much Capcom goes out of it's way to never really promote Onimusha, it's a pretty successful series, with some very good games and interesting spinoffs.

It seems these days, Capcom only wants to focus on a handful of games at a time, and don't want to make smaller A or AA projects anymore.

In some ways it's a good thing, but it also cuts back at their creative potential.

The first couple got a fair bit of promotion at the time; the original was the first PS2 game to sell over a million copies, iirc.

Though it's strange, I remember reading years later that they got Jean Reno on board with 3 in order to try and crack the series bigtime in Europe, and that they were spending a small fortune on marketing for it, but I don't remember seeing advertising for it anywhere at the time beyond one or two ads in magazines.

Why did manly games about feudal Japan stop being made? Were they too niche? Did even people in Japan not like them? It seems like a few generations ago we had games like:

Way of the Samurai
Onimusha
Tenchu
Shinobido
Soul of the Samurai
Genji
Otogi

and now we have nothing outside of Yakuza Ishin/Kenzan and Nioh. As someone who has a huge hard on for this type of setting, this makes me very sad.

I don't know, but you're completely right. We had a fantastic run of ninja and samurai games right through the early-mid '00s, and then they just dried up almost overnight.

Heartbreaking stuff; this is partly why I'm hoping Nioh goes beyond just being a cult hit with weebs and nerds, it'll show there's still a market for good ninja and samurai games again.

>Why did manly games about feudal Japan stop being made? Were they too niche? Did even people in Japan not like them?

I think Japan just fell out of fashion.

Back in the 80s and 90's Japan was this magical place that made stuff that just werks. People were amazed at the quality of their animations and just how fucking ridiculously much better Japanese games were, that came with a fascination of the culture that carried over into the 2000's.

People just don't care about Feudal Japan styled games much more because people just don't really care about Japan period.

How well do the first three games emulate?

>People just don't care about Feudal Japan styled games much more because people just don't really care about Japan period.

Yeah, you're probably right. Kind of a shame for those of us that grew up in that era. I'd kill for more samurai games or anime on par with Ninja Scroll again.

In a word, Moe animu culture.

Honestly, I'd settle for HD releases of the originals first for testing the waters but likeness licensing apparently prevents that and Capcom isn't willing to pay money to get Kaneshiro and Reno's faces in.

if there is, who would the basis be for the next character?

it'd have to be someone after the age of Tokugawa's rule, right?

>Why did manly games about feudal Japan stop being made?

I assume because they ran into the ground over in Japan. It's basically their brown and bloom TPS and you've only listed games that got localized. Look it up, there's a metric ton of games set in feudal or fantasy feudal Japan over there.

>Way of the Samurai
I'm still laughing how that entire series has to be one of the best roleplaying series ever made without even trying to be. They really nailed the whole choices thing.

I think Nioh has a decent chance. Them making the protagonist a Westerner might give it more appeal to people in the West that might otherwise write it off as being "too Japanese".

It also seems like they're doing a pretty good job at listening to feedback, though whether that ends up being for the best or not remains to be seen.

I know it's pretty much a day one buy for me though.

Yusaku Matsuda's estate for Jubei in 2, as well.

Plus Kaneshiro now is a bigger star now than he was in 2001 and 2004, so he'd in all likelihood command a bigger fee now than he did back then.

>Look it up, there's a metric ton of games set in feudal or fantasy feudal Japan over there.

Interesting, are there any hidden gems that you know off?

I'll always like the first game because it still had some traces of horror in it, but I think 3 is probably the best gameplay-wise. Also, pre-rendered backgrounds of the original weren't exactly that good and series benefited from jumping to 3D locations.

At the top of my head? Fu-un Shinsengumi.

God I love Shinkawa.

why did she get less clothes after she got like that demon fever or something

Meiji Restoration era?

Damn, that actually looks really cool, pretty much exactly the type of game that I was looking for. Do you know if it emulates well?

Woops, that was meant for

I actually feel almost the same about Onimusha as I do the Diablo series.

The first games started off as very simple games with a strong horror atmosphere. While Onmushas 2 & 3 expanding on the gameplay mechanics, the atmosphere was never replicated successfully.

Sadly I have no idea. Never tried emulating it.

Why do so many people dislike 4?
It abandoned the Resident Evil style, but it's an awesome action game in its own right. I probably played it more than the others.

I'm emulating onimusha 2 as we speak and it works great. Granted, I have not played 2 on a ps2 (only played 1 and 4) so I might not notice if there are small differences to the original, but yeah it seems fine to me. It does have a graphical issue with character models clipping through the pre-rendered backgrounds on some settings but it's easy to fix.

4 is my favourite because its 2 player. God damn was it the best coop game ever made imo

Oops, didn't realize you weren't talking about onimusha. Oh well.

I really like 4. It was my first Onimusha game, I randomly bought it from a clearance sale for like 5 bucks and had a blast with it. I actually just discovered that it has a co-op mode yesterday, I never knew. I tried playing it with my friend but sadly the camera system makes it almost unplayable. It was fun until we got completely wrecked by that boss you fight immidiately after fighting Tenkai, because 90% of the time the camera directly pointed away from the boss.

It actually has coop?

I used to look up cheats for it, and some websites said you could unlock coop mode, but they all said different things on how to do it. After none of them worked and some people said it didn't have coop, I figured it was fake.

Yep, in the load game screen you have to press L1, L2, R1, R2 down on both controllers, then press start on the second controller. It plays a sound if you do it right. Then you just begin a new file or load an old file and you'll have co-op. In the first few missions it doesn't work because soki is alone but once you meet jubei it starts working.

It's okay, it was my mistake. It's good to know that 2 emulates well though, my ps2 barely works anymore.

That's too bad, I guess I'll have to put it on my list of games that I may buy if I ever visit Japan someday.

pretty good, replayed them about 3 years ago on a shitty laptop with an i3u processor, onimusha 2 ran a bit worse than 1 and 3, but with a decent pc you will have no problems.

This thread encouraged me to play Onimusha 3 again. Any tips? I remember it getting pretty hard.

That watertank puzzle somehow took me ages 15 years ago

Upgrade your Kuga,just for it's special attack.

I still consider that one of the most rage inducing puzzles I've ever had to solve in any game.

It had a really great music

youtube.com/watch?v=-OTnc2Pfy9w
youtube.com/watch?v=cvV5gy08q0c
youtube.com/watch?v=oLKgKkxUu-o&index=4&list=PL872AD995380F7FA0
youtube.com/watch?v=Qc7O0MTAH-4&list=PL872AD995380F7FA0&index=10
youtube.com/watch?v=Bn405dtXN-A&list=PL872AD995380F7FA0&index=16
youtube.com/watch?v=HqkkyB8XxhI&index=18&list=PL872AD995380F7FA0
youtube.com/watch?v=DZjLScJxbvM&index=21&list=PL872AD995380F7FA0
youtube.com/watch?v=yejxb9P1wsQ&index=23&list=PL872AD995380F7FA0
youtube.com/watch?v=ZXskoxUzxLc&index=25&list=PL872AD995380F7FA0
youtube.com/watch?v=IgWzv5D6188&index=37&list=PL872AD995380F7FA0
youtube.com/watch?v=WjweAnyooAQ&index=38&list=PL872AD995380F7FA0
youtube.com/watch?v=Ml8WA1mjqjo&list=PL872AD995380F7FA0&index=43

i remember ragequitting and just starting fresh runs up to that point. guess i really liked onimusha.

Genma is sort of weird. I personally didn't like it as much as the normal version of the first game

>those intros

youtube.com/watch?v=uH4sD5sSyFA
youtube.com/watch?v=oFgMpFwDLtg
youtube.com/watch?v=bkIhvprU7FI

I had to buy the strategy guide.

pls no bully.

Who talks like that?
>God that cunt's second encounter was frustrating if you went in with bad stats and no healing items

This is what happened to me. It's the one on the beach right?

>It's the one on the beach right?
Yes. I didn't even know what exactly you had to do. Beat him or just drain the time out, no clue.

Genma was so good
I remember buying a xbox with genma and Dino crisis 3

I had to check it out on youtube. The problem isn't the puzzle itself, but that fucking checkpoint that is too far away from it.

you are not alone

nobody did, you just wen't along with it .

>watertank puzzle