What is the appeal of Squad?

I've went through the developer's youtube channel and studied all aspects present in the vidoes and it just looks like casualized tactical experience (But visually pretty) alike Project Reality in comparison to ArmA.

Now I'm not shitting on the game, in all ways I'd be shitting on things I like such as insurgency if I were to do that. But I'm wondering just how this is groundbreaking because I'm seeing everyone 1 in 10 of players from Bohemia's Community say they're going to go play Squad.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/ProjectReality/comments/3xfnyf/where_is_project_reality_2/
steamcommunity.com/groups/AlKibab
youtu.be/7i6k-g6SQLM?t=82
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Squad focuses more on CQB

Arma seems to have more long range firefights in my experience.

I have more faith in the Squad team than Bohemia, those guys a fucking retarded I swear.

CQB isn't really a issue in ArmA 3 and can be pulled off quite decently. They've done a lot of work on the AI to the point if you'll go away from the keyboard for a few minutes on multiplayer next to AO there's a good choice you'll get flanked and killed.

How is bohemia retarded?

Many of the houses in ArmA and not enterable especially in Tanoa and the AI never seems to go to cover or even occupy the buildings when under fire, they usually just go prone and do weird 360s till they find where they're getting shot from.

My issues with Bohemia is mostly just how long they take to do basic things, We've only now just got Weapon animations that actually have him remove the magazine and put a new one in instead of it just disappearing and reappearing and the guns only recently started sounding like guns and not someone slamming a table into a wall.

Also a military simulator and they pick future shit? Why?

>But I'm wondering just how this is groundbreaking

it's not

the main reason i like project reality and squad is how focused they are on making pub squads work together, every single mechanic is based around it. squad / pr are also round based and can be played in short bursts.

it's not as complicated as arma but not as casual as battlefield or insurgency either, it's just a nice middle ground.

also how broken will the first batch of vehicles be?

Not interested until they add helos/jets.

>Many of the houses in Tanoa are not enterable
It's still in Development Branch.

They do take cover, there's a lot programming in the game to make them actually occupying buildings. See the work more like a chance, taking cover needs them to be in a combat situaton, if they're taking shots they'll be aware I think but if one of them is killed they'll go into combat and spread out. The AI will eventually find a bush, rock, or random objects to hide behind. As I said before they do flank, but it's mostly stragglers or off-shoots from a group.

They've added it, so I don't see what your problem is. They've down a multitude of reworking and updating to the game (That's what Nexus and Eden and Apex were) and now it's starting to look pretty damn good if you ask me.

I figured, I don't blame people for going for that. I'd completely understand that from previous experience of talking to people here hence why I said it was a causalized tactical experience, but not in the bad way.

>We've only now just got Weapon animations that actually have him remove the magazine and put a new one in instead of it just disappearing and reappearing

It still does that, they have NOT added in magazines that track to hands or ik rig animated magazines.

>Also a military simulator and they pick future shit?

It could be set in like halo level future, it doesn't matter. You can simulate and operate in any time. Doesn't have to have already existed.

>Future shit
They've had this idea since 2013, and it isn't exaclty future shit, it's like near-near future because a lot of the soldiers aren't particulary different then the standard soldier today beyond wide spread usage of night-vision goggles and armoured uniforms. CSAT is more so futuristic then NATO but not as if to blast right past them.

Consider shit like the T-95 Eagle and the Punisher, they've been around for awhile, almost every vehicle in the game has a real prototype based after it so it's basically like ten or twenty decades after the "Modern" setting.

When did you last play?
Before it was basically invisible package being slid in and out. Now there's a actual magazine in the hand for most weapons.

See

I just want to know why it took them so fucking long to do such basic gamedev tasks? It's the same bullshit with DayZ standalone when that shit came out the zombies could run through walls and buildings and they said they'd fix it soon. Last time I played it was in September last year and they didn't even have zombies in the game because they STILL hadn't fixed the collision with them so instead of doing some basic game dev shit they just fucking removed a core part of the game.

Bohemia does this bullshit because they're the only ones making these mil-sim games and they know they can get away with it.

When ArmA 3 came out it was severely lacking in content compared to Arma 2 and lets not forget that bullshit with the helicopter dlc and marksman dlc.

Also, put Arma3Update162RC into the beta code tab for ArmA 3 on steam to check out all the content for Tanoa. Check out the underbarrel 50cal that can one hit tanks and helicopters.

>It could be set in like halo level future, it doesn't matter. You can simulate and operate in any time. Doesn't have to have already existed.
With mods yeah but when it came out we didn't have that option unfortunately.

They did get pretty close with the hunters and Ghost hawk I'll give em that but the MX is a weird franken-gun and triggers me.

Yesterday

>invisible package

Arma animates weapons via a config rather than an animation.

Therefore you make the magazine go down, and come back up, becoming hidden when its beyond a certain point.

However, I booted up the game, went into the editor and went into slow motion.

They've take the magazine and made it move on an X axis for a bit then Y axis for a bit, then go back into the gun. then made the hand track to that really basic and crude X/Y/Z graph motion rather than adding in an animation source for the magazine to glue to the other hand.

Doesn't count.

I really wish they would have kept with their original theme of railguns and hovertanks.

>MX is a weird franken-gun
it's an ACR with caseless ammo ( caseless ammo was develloped with G11 first and now being made good by americans with the LSAT program )

i have SQUAD, it's litterally project reality with an other engine, they don't even bother trying to make a difference it's the same shit with more polygons also
>russian vest textures remain unchanged so they still look like plastic
>100% accuracy all the time only recoil and weapon movement during firing only afect accuracy a bit ( no weapon sway, or round dispersion )
>character movement feel like playing a robot

this game show promise but instead of trying to be a PR bootleg, they should actually try to fucking make their own shit

The sad part is that PR could be made in Arma 3 in 10 seconds.

Squad actually has PvP so there's that

>I just want to know why it took them so fucking long to do such basic gamedev tasks? It's the same bullshit with DayZ standalone when that shit came out the zombies could run through walls and buildings and they said they'd fix it soon. Last time I played it was in September last year and they didn't even have zombies in the game because they STILL hadn't fixed the collision with them so instead of doing some basic game dev shit they just fucking removed a core part of the game.

It is because while they're also putting stuff in, they're also reworking a eleven year old engine which is fragile, so the majority of their time is spent killing old code and replacing it.

>Bohemia does this bullshit because they're the only ones making these mil-sim games and they know they can get away with it.
Not really, look above.

>Also, put Arma3Update162RC into the beta code tab for ArmA 3 on steam to check out all the content for Tanoa. Check out the underbarrel 50cal that can one hit tanks and helicopters.
Development, and from what I've heard it isn't lethal against units.

>When ArmA 3 came out it was severely lacking in content compared to Arma 2 and lets not forget that bullshit with the helicopter dlc and marksman dlc.

Helicopter and marksman had most of the important content pretty much go out free for everyone, the only things being sold were just content specific to the downloadable content, like vehicles or guns. So practically they're giving you everything while practically just limiting you from what, using a helicopter?
I don't see the problem with this.

I see where you are coming from, but in my personal opinion it is like the least of my problems. The game does enough to make gameplay comfortable and honestly they've being doing a lot of nice work for manoveurability.

Most definitely, but ArmA technically lost a lot of it's public communtiy for CTI when most of the servers turned into DayZ or LIFE.

>this game show promise but instead of trying to be a PR bootleg
it's easier to start with something that works and then branch out from there.

>character movement feel like playing a robot
they actually had momentum based movement but removed it because of a bug, but since they're going to completely redo their animation system (with vaulting, weapon resting etc) they haven't bothered with adding it back.

> most of the servers

That isn't the issue

The first week arma 3 went live, there were Insurency and CTI and Domination servers.

None of the people who played it in A2 were playing it in A3.

I bet you couldn't find 60 people who'd play 32x32 domination on Stratis VANILLA let alone modded.

>The first week arma 3 went live, there were Insurency and CTI and Domination servers.
Nigger, I was playing since the alpha and didn't see that shit.

>user never witnessed ahoy world domination and all other custom made CTI missions

i pity you my friend

Its part of the reason I only operate with AKB

They are the only people who play Arma like it used to be played.

I've played on a lot of different dominantion CTI from cav to ahoy, it is just incomparable to ArmA 2's domination. They are there, they just feel empty and not really lived in.

I notice that groups usually tend to pull that atmosphere off, I miss joining a lobby and getting some rock music and a zoom in on my character.

>U.S. Army soldiers use a fictional assault rifle (designed by real-life CMMG, Inc.), that has design elements borrowed from the Remington ACR and Robinson Armament XCR. Compact and light machine gun variants are also available. By default, it fires caseless 6.5mm ammunition, although it could possibly fire traditional cased ammunition, due to the presence of an ejection port on the right-hand side of the weapon.

I still think it's a strange choice to have Franken-guns. I think they realized they fucked up they've added a few real life guns to Apex.

You know Squad is being made by people who worked on PR right? It was originally PR2 before they decided to make it a whole new thing.

>It is because while they're also putting stuff in, they're also reworking a eleven year old engine which is fragile, so the majority of their time is spent killing old code and replacing it.

Why the fuck are they still using an 11 year old engine?

>You know Squad is being made by people who worked on PR right?
it's made by some left over from PR, the original team is still working on PR2 for cryengine 2

I heard the PR and PR2 teams are two different groups.

>the original team is still working on PR2 for cryengine 2
no, pr2 is dead.

>Ancientman, lead PR dev:
>TL;DR - PR2 has been dead for years, and will never be released in any way shape or form. Squad left the Project Reality brand so it could thrive on its own, and is in every way possible the true sequel to PR:BF2.

Arma is a PVE oriented game. If you want something dedicated to PVP, Squad is the quicker bet. Also the sound is amazing

>Why the fuck are they still using an 11 year old engine?
A good example would be that they aren't like Jagex in this situation, reality engine is ages old but it is still able to be reworked and eventually built over and smoothed out.

Why cost your company a fortune and build a whole new engine out of mere promises rather then just surfacing out the problems with your existant engine which is what they're doing.

No wonder it looks like PR.

You are joking right?
Half of the game modes are PVP orientated.

I'm not joking you autistic fuckwit. As one that owns both games, don't pretend Arma has a large focus on PVP and that you can consistently find matches for it

>in all ways I'd be shitting on things I like such as insurgency

What's wrong with Insurgency?

DayZ runs on the Enfusion engine and the Arma series runs on Real Virtuality.

That said with everything pointed out in this thread I think it's time for a whole new engine for ArmA.

Read it through, I was saying that I would be shitting on a game like.

>Autistic fuckwitt
Put some cream on your rear lad, your anus seems to be all red and rashy.

>don't pretend Arma has a large focus on PVP and that you can consistently find matches for it
>What is KOTH
>What is Wasteland
>What is nearly every game-mode other then co-op

You do realize they're basically going to converge both engines and use it for future installments? It isn't "Time" for a new engine because beyond consistent whining about frames it pulls of what it intends to and serves as a platform which they've kept for a decade and half.

i think he's talking about military sim style pvp

It does have an interface made of liquid ass so that probably opens up a whole new market.

Wouldn't*

Which the game can pull of quite easily and has multiple streams advertising such missions. His point isn't exactly well thought.

Squad or Arma?

Arma being the liquid ass interface.

Well that explains, was supposed to be "doesn't".

Probably, which just backs up my thoughts that Bohemia is a shit tier dev that does whatever they want because they've got a monopoly on open world milsims.

And yet I will keep buying and play the games because I have no choice.

But actually if I think about it I would criticize a game I like sense I'm not really the person to be dictated by feelings. I do dislike some absent features to arma like animations for vehicle entry, from vehicle to unit, removing the whole action menu and just changing it for some ACE like system area specific damage (Tank being destroyed on it's side but the rest of the tank is visually fine)

You mean the whole scroll/squad interface?
Even dyslexci criticizes that, they're probably working on it. I've noticed they're actually taking a lot of advice from him since ST HUD is working it's way into official code.

I don't agree with you, they aren't purposely butchering the game. They've got a fair amount of love for it.

There are other military simulators, vehicle specific albiet. ArmA gets it's audience from veteran fanbase and it's widely detailed and diverse field of both modifications and official abilities. It is pretty much the MBT of milsim.

>tfw no Raven Shield sequel

Literally alpha and omega, what all these cucktac games wish they could be.

>Read it through, I was saying that I would be shitting on a game like.

My bad, pham, carry on.

I'm not saying they're purposely butchering the game i'm saying they can fuck up or make shitty animations or whatever because they know people cant do shit about it, Don't like it? Go somewhere else, oh wait you can't!

Yes there are mil-sims but like you said they're all focused on just one role. Arma is the only mil-sim that lets you do it all in a big open world.
The new Hud is in the devbranch.

As I said, it doesn't make sense to me for them to do what you're saying. I do agree companies botch their releases (Ala Ubisoft) but Bohemia Interactive isn't a crotch-rotten politics pusher.

Their new DLC model troubles me though

Why?
Almost everything comes in platform updates for the whole game, they've got a city skylines likeness to their module which basically just makes you pay for models, that's it. Nearly every new feature is free.

for the past 3-4 months i have been playing squad almost exclusively.
for an alpha its really expensive, but desu, last time i had so much fun was in cod4 promod.
if the squad works together and its members communicate its really an awesome experience, finding such squad is kinda rare though. plus its pretty much running simulator, until they add vehicles - next month, most likely. also game development is slow but thats to be expected.

I think that is universal for every game, teamwork makes things more enjoyable.

You're mis-understanding me, I am not saying they botch their release i'm saying that know they can take as long as they want to release features that I think are core military aspects which this game claims to emulate because they know they've got no competition. I mean for fucks sake we only now just got Vehicle in Vehicle transport with Apex, something that's a key feature for moving armor around a battlefield quickly. That took three fucking years! Prior to that if you needed a tank in the field you just had to wait and hold out till it showed up. We still can't stack our own mags, choose where we keep our equipment on our vests or have more than one attachment on a rail at any time.

thats true but the level of teamwork differs in every game. usually players can circumvent lack of teamwork with skill/luck (take counter strike for example), but not in squad. here the teamwork is the key attribute that decides how fun will the game be and who is going to win, above everything else. i personally prefer it that way.

>vehicle in vehicle transport

ACE2 had that in Arma 2.

Add magazine repacking

>where we keep our equipment

Why would you want to do that? Its not like a magazine in your backpack or vest matters

>one attachment on a rail at any time

This could easily be modded in, but who would want to have two scopes? You can already have a flashlight, laser, scope, bipod (and if you are using RHS a grip )

What else would you want?

That's the thing, it's up to the modders to pick up the slack of Bohemia. I'm talking about vanilla no mod ArmA.

>That took three fucking years! Prior to that if you needed a tank in the field you just had to wait and hold out till it showed up
Almost every server on ArmA if it's using domination has the abiltiy to transport vehicles.

There wasn't really a need, they've got official sling loading but people still most of the time use plugins for transport.

A lot of that shit you said seems a lot more personal then "Core military"

Squad PvP experience
>join server
>join squad
>play game
ArmA PvP experience
>find a PvP oriented clan
>have to deal with the autism that entails
>set a date and time when everyone can play (30 players if you're lucky)
>download 4 mods and mission packs
>spend an hour setting everything up
>start playing at 20 fps
>get disconnected because ArmA has abysmal netcode
don't forget to pay $16 for 2 helicopters!

We got sling loading last year in march and that only allowed us to move light vehicles.
>people still most of the time use plugins for transport
Again, the community has to pick up the slack of Bohemia. The Invade and annex server I play on almost never has any armor on the field because some unlucky soul has to drive a tank 20 minutes across Altis.

>The Invade and annex server I play on almost never has any armor on the field because some unlucky soul has to drive a tank 20 minutes across Altis.

This only happens as a result of shit players, not becase there is a lack of lifting capability.

>Intentionally cherry picking to suit your argument

>don't forget to pay $16 for 2 helicopters!
Nigger are you fucking serious
What would you rather, they sell all the platform updates with the helicopters or making you pay twenty dollars or less for models which really don't have a impact on your game beyond preference.

It's a shit argument.

Bit exaggerated but this is the reality

Also, until ARMA goes to the Enfusion (new Day-Z engine) and makes multiplayer with mods easier/perform better, we'll see a lot of mods going standalone in Unity/Unreal Engine because it simply is not ideal

I'm saying this as an ACEsperg and an Operation Flashpoint player

>it's the players fault they don't have sufficient tools in the base game to play properly.

You work for Bohemia don't you?

No. You intentionally misinterpreted my point.
The tanks are driving 20 kilometers because other players don't give a jack shit about cooperating in public servers.

>Also, until ARMA goes to the Enfusion (new Day-Z engine)
It is the current, existing engine with DayZ's engine. I'm not seeing the new magic which will suddenly change everything.

>We'll see a lot of mods going standalone in Unity/Unreal Engine because it simply is not ideal
Like what?

>The tanks are driving 20 kilometers because other players don't give a jack shit about cooperating in public servers.

And how exactly are people suppose to do that when the only way for armor to get around is to drive from point A to point B?

What? Enfusion Engine is a completely different engine while ARMA3 is running on the same VRengine they used back in 2001 with Operation Flashpoint, performance skyrocketed and I'd imagine it'd do the same for ARMA3 if they were to implement it

If they created a modding platform like Bethesda.net or integrated completely into the Steam workshop that automatically downloaded/enabled/disabled files depending on the dependencies, it'd be much more accessible rather than dealing with A3Sync and shit like that.

There is airlifting plugins in most CTI and DOM.
You'll see namers and APC's getting flung around in the air if people actually want to play together.

the helicopters should just be free

Like I fucking said I am talking about Vanilla ArmA, No mods and no scripts. I already am well aware the community has to fix ArmA for everyone.

Mate.

"Enfusion"
It means, DayZ's engine ENFUSED with the current, existing virtual reality engine.

>
If they created a modding platform like Bethesda.net or integrated completely into the Steam workshop that automatically downloaded/enabled/disabled files depending on the dependencies
Are you... living under a rock?

Almost all invade and annex servers run on a outside mission using scripts mate. Your argument is pretty fucking poor.

Then they'd need to sell the base game for more, and they wouldn't have a relaible buisness model. I really don't see the fucking problem with selling two models which are optional and do not impact the game. It's pretty much like buying a car, you can get all the personal preference shit but it is specifically optional, not buying that fancy wooden finish isn't going to make your car fall apart.

It is much better model then what they had in the previous, with blurry shit and all.

I just spoke to Dwarden about this. Enfusion is a complete rewrite based on their Take On Helicopter/Take On Mars/Carrier Command engine. It's a complete rewrite, it's cross platform too.

Am I living under a rock? No. Last time I played (yesterday) I was not able to play any server I wanted to automatically just by clicking on the server, as I am able to with any Garry's Mod server with FastDL/workshop download enabled

> Enfusion is a complete rewrite based on their Take On Helicopter/Take On Mars/Carrier Command engine.
Which is what they're using for DayZ.

They're enfusing it with the existing engine, they've literally wrote this on one of their reddit things, can't remember which.

>No. Last time I played (yesterday) I was not able to play any server I wanted to automatically just by clicking on the server, as I am able to with any Garry's Mod server with FastDL/workshop download enabled
Oh, you mean that.
They way you worded your post made it seem like you completely ignored steam workshop and the shit they've already done with dependencies and downloading.

It would be nice, but then you've got shit like ACRE/TFAR.

>I am talking about Vanilla ArmA, No mods and no scripts

Then why bring up I&A which is a scripted mission.

Because the I&A server I play on, which is the most popular vanilla I&A server here in straya doesn't run that kind of script.

So, for us who play vanilla Arma we have no method of moving heavy armor around the map without community made scripts which once again brings me back to my point that Bohemia are shit and it's up to the community to unfuck them.

>Because the I&A server I play on, which is the most popular vanilla I&A server here in straya doesn't run that kind of script.
What's the server name?
I'm aussie I swear to god I've seen namers and merkevas hovering around via hurons hawks and merlins.

>So, for us who play vanilla Arma we have no method of moving heavy armor around the map without community made scripts which once again brings me back to my point that Bohemia are shit and it's up to the community to unfuck them.

The fact is most vehicles can't be transported as such, even the biggest vehicles in reality have trouble carrying shit like abrams, there's quite a few aeroplanes which carry APCs (Which they're going to include) but beyond that even in reality that isn't feasible beyond the navy.

So there isn't really a problem of realism there, it's more so just a problem of playability, which scripts come in and trump. You don't really need a mod for airlifting, you just need to find the code for carrying vehicles and plop it into your server if I remember correctly.

Straya gaming and steak and beer or steak and chips, something along those lines.

The new VTOLS look like you could wedge an Apc in there, which is better than nothing.

You can, they've done it.
Just can't drive it in probably because of collision issues.

I know that server, I'm pretty sure it's bare bones.
Ahoy has lifting if I remember correctly.

Too bad AKB is a cesspool of a3g rejects.

When you kick/ban shitters like Duck and Kerri, we can talk about you actually improving as a group to the point where you are attractive to decent people.

Game is shit compared to Project Reality. They fucked up the game by giving you the ability to spam permanent rally points.

>kerri

Kerri has been operating and hasn't been shitting anything up

>Duck

He's on thin ice and has been warned. He'd be banned if one of the mods had recorded what he did properly. If he does anything again, he'll be banned.

Plus, they rarely play

Does AKB have a site for the modlist and all?

>Kerri has been operating and hasn't been shitting anything up
With a past like his, he should have been banned before he even stepped foot into that group.

>find a PvP oriented clan
>have to deal with the autism that entails

Fucking this.

Its a shame because i sure love the game but i just cant stand the pain in the ass that it is just to play it. It feels like a chore just to find and play a decent game.

And sadly this isnt just PVP, you will have this problem with PVE as well.

The appeal being that arma literally doesn't work as a mp game. This is built from the ground up to appeal to people who want to play a multiplayer combined arms game that doesn't require stupid amounts of preparation.

steamcommunity.com/groups/AlKibab

CUP Terrains
RHS US/RU/GREF
ACE
ACRE2
CBA
NIArms
Some other shit.

>inconsistent LOD

There's no fair playing ground, the game is simply retarded for PvP and wasn't designed for it.

Squad actually fucking works unlike ARMA
They are releasing vehicles in July, so we can funally get that Generation Kill action

ArmA works, Squad is just PR.

>There's no fair playing ground, the game is simply retarded for PvP and wasn't designed for it.
Are you the same guy who made this argument before?

If not, you're blatantly ignoring half of the community and servers online.

Pretty much I like it because it gives ARMA some competition, they no longer are the only game dev even remotely making these sort of games. Once you have competition, they'll be forced to get their act together or die out.

>The appeal being that arma literally doesn't work as a mp game.
Almost all of it's players are playing multiplayer.

What's with these stupid ass posts?

Arma barely works. No other company would get away with the shit Bohemia does, because they're up until like a year ago, they were the only name for combined arms mil sims. You had no choice, it was either them, a BF2 mod, and then the next closest thing was the battlefield series itself, which obviously isn't even the same.

>Almost all of it's players are playing multiplayer.
Yeah, they are playing King of the hill shit or other mods. Not tacticool arma

I too share this opinion. I love arma, but holy shit it sucks ass and it only sucks ass because bohemia get away with it.

>Making the same argument again without any description of why arma "Barely works"

>What is invade and annex
>What is ahoy world
>What is co-op and private servers/clans

I'd be fine with people just saying "Hey, I liked PR2's gameplay better" instead of having non-existant reasons for hating A3.

Oi, how much players do you max, and what's your average?

>playing mp games where people can inconsistently see each other through objects

I don't care how many people do it mate.

>Playing mp games where people can inconsistently see each other through objects
You're going to need a video for me to see your point.

Where do you want me to start?
Shitty optimization, framerate issues, netcode issues, physics issues, vehicle sounds, UI issues, damage model, and more.

Bohemia I think is way to reliant on community mods for a lot of these issues, they rely on people making shit like ACE and shit that should be standard in the vanilla but they're fine with people making 100s of gigabytes of mods to pretty much try fixing up the game for free.

>Optimziation, Framerate
They're using an engine which has existed since OPF, besides that I get 30/60 on vanilla without awfully scripted multiplayer missions.

>Physics issues
Not enough to detriment the game, if anything they are hilarious. The only gripe I've had with it is placing shit in zeus.

>Vehicle sounds
Be more specific.

>UI issues
Be more specific

>Damage model
Be more specific.

youtu.be/7i6k-g6SQLM?t=82

and no it isn't fixed.

Specific time would be nice