How can people seriously think that Morrowind is in any way superior to Oblivion or Skyrim?

How can people seriously think that Morrowind is in any way superior to Oblivion or Skyrim?

Wanted to start playing Morrowind because I loved Oblivion and Skyrim and many people praise it as the best of the Elder Scrolls games.
Made a character and started playing. After fighting like 3 times I realized how fucking shit this combat system is. Why would you not let the character do dmg even if you clearly hit your opponent?
I wanted to start over and since the overall looks of the game was really not too good I started modding a bit of the looks. Wanted to still hold on to the vanilla feel so I didn't mod too much, just so it looks a bit better.
Wanted to play a mage this time since the melee combat didn't really impress me. I chose everything that could contribute to a pure mage in character creation.
In fights still somehow I can't fucking kill more than one enemy without running out of mana.
Is this some kind of joke?
Why would you do this?

The fighters can't hit the target and the mages can't do spells.

Maybe Morrowind excels Skyrim and Oblivion in having more decisions and overall a better rolaplaying experience but god damn it. The actual gameplay is fucking trash.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=T7u0Ld3fiWg
youtube.com/watch?v=FVvSiiEbtuQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

100% agree

nostalgiafagging at its worst

>inb4 "just intell le mod to make it not shit"
just like you install mods to make skyrim not shit, except that for morrowind you install mods to make it playable

My favorite is daggerfall. Its filled with bugs and requires autism to be played and enjoyed, but I don't go around pretending that it is the best in the series

youtube.com/watch?v=T7u0Ld3fiWg

>*miss*
>*miss*
>*miss*
>*miss*
even though it was clearly hitting, nice gameplay

Base Morrowind's mana system is absolute bullshit, mod that shit to natural regen.
Combat is dicerolls, you'll have to deal with that. Arrow clearly hit? Nah it was actually a shit shot. Swing missed? You done fucked up and you're imagining things. Deal with it, or don't. Think of attacking as a generic "Fight" button on some RPGmaker shit.

Bait right?
If not, surely you can't be this goddamn stupid.

>skyrim
>playable

Speak for yourself normie

It's an RPG

Not an action RPG

>pres attack button on skyrim
>it attacks the enemy
>press attack button in morrowind
>MISS

>Cast spell in skyrim
>spell is casts
>Cast spell in morrowind
>MISS

Oh please explain faggot I would like to here you disprove OP

Even Diablo 2 (that's what action RPG means, right? It's the same as hack & slash?) had attacks that missed even though the animation looked like it hit

I'd pick Morrowind's stat-reliant battle system any day over the later games' haphazard swinging until one combatant keels over.
And I never played any TES games as a kid, so there goes your nostalgia argument.

TES games have always been action RPGs dumbass.

/thread
newfags can fuck off

>an Elder Scrolls game
>focusing on combat
You don't know what you're talking about, kid.

Ah! I forgot

>Press forward in skyrim
>it moves forward
>Press forward in morrowind
>Crawls forward at snail pace

That's why you get the boots of blinding speed.

>playing Breton

Yeah, I could say the same about the combat, but I went in knowing what to suspect from it. Its pretty much turn-based without the turns, which I find it to be the main problem with the combat. Constant staggering is a bitch so always drink Stam potions or get fucked, then while you're getting fucked you'll get fucked more on the ground, and honestly just feels unfair when you cant maneuver to different commands as fast as oblivion or skyrim to prevent that. The whole game as a whole is enjoyable, but if you go into the game with an oblivion and skyrim mindset, you're not at all going to enjoy it. And if so its sometimes feels like a stress test with the combat. Me, I really dont mind. I still like it and honestly would rather play it right now than skyrim. (if only because morrowind is the first game THAT I COULD CHEESE IT LIKE A PRO!)

I love Morrowind bait threads.

It's always the same thing, every single time. "OMG I jus picked dis game up it suuuuck!"

It'd be nice if you guys could try a little harder.

in rpgmaker shit I don't miss one out of 37 times when I attack
the acceptable should be the opposite

You do realize that since Arena you had invisible die rolls in the combat?
Holy shit Sup Forums fucking kill yourselves you can't into rpgs to save your lives

ok
What is CHIM?

>the acceptable should be the opposite
36 misses out of 37 attacks? sounds like you wanna play XCOM

Fuck you, is what it is.

Dumping old screens because why not.

everytime

And how exactly is one major aspect of the game more or less important than another major aspect?
Combat is the thing you do at least 50% of your gaming time. Who the fuck stands around and talks to NPCs for more than 2 min?

>the game has this crippling fault
>lol, no worries, it includes a shitty item to palliate it, this means the problem is not even there
Also, I have to play blind and pretty much forced to use those boots if I want to get anywhere?
>if you want to play the game don't use this race
I find hilarious how another user says "its about the lore" and you are now trying to tell me that its my fault some races are unplayable

>this thread

Senpai, I play Fallout 2 and miss way less than in morrowind

I did Knots' guide ages ago but then never really played the game and lost the installation
Should I do the guide again (I know it's not up anymore, but it's archived) or is the overhaul mod good enough by now?

Morrowind is the more complete rpg. i'm sorry the bad graphics and reading hurt your eyes. I would suggest playing the witcher, the rpg sexperiences will cum full circle and it's audio read so you should be able to 'get' into it.

>Combat is the thing you do at least 50% of your gaming time
In Skyrim maybe. Not in Morrowind.
>a hurr de durr having magical items that alleviate a game's shortcoming is bad!
Then pray tell why do you use Fast Travel in Skyrim?

>nanana I can't hear you you are just a newfag nanana

But you just said you don't miss 1/37 attacks in RPGmaker and the opposite is acceptable
so it sounds like more miss chance makes you happy

If you wanted more TES reaction images you could have just asked.

This

>Ahh yes, we've been expecting you. You'll have to be recorded before you're officially released. There are a few ways we can do this, and the choice is yours.

>a hurr de durr having magical items that alleviate a game's shortcoming is bad
I love that strawman

a game has a problem
There is item that doesn't solve the problem, only alleviates it and you are pretending as if because of that the problem didn't even exist

I'm not even going to rewrite that post because you perfectly understand what I meant and are just trying to nitpick a pointless argument

INTERESTING.

Reinforcements coming through.

don't know how it was before but I followed this guys instructions: youtube.com/watch?v=FVvSiiEbtuQ

turned out way better than vanilla

What's even the fucking point of the default classes? For idiots who are too afraid to pick their own major skills on their first playthrough?

>you are pretending as if because of that the problem didn't even exist
If I was pretending the problem doesn't exist because of the Boots of Blinding Speed, why would I have silently criticised your choice of playing as a Breton?

You don't make a lick of fucking sense, mate.

not him, can you post more?

"rpgmaker shit" is significantly younger than the pen & paper roleplaying systems on which Morrowind is based.

Go back to CoD, babby.

Actually if you use a resist magicka spell 100% for 1 sec, then equipt the boots, you won't be blinded and you still run at 200 speed

Anyone has cool shit to do? I've just finished the main story line and I'm way too overpowered. Can't kill Vivic yet, but any other enemy in the game I one hit.

>With this character's death, the thread of prophecy is severed. Restore a saved game to restore the weave of fate, or persist in the doomed world you have created.

Morrowind isn't everybodies cup of tea. I for one loved it but I get the hate for the combat. Early levels are rough and an absolute grind but to me getting a skill to 100 and it never missing again was extremely satisfying. With everything being skill based it means that while graphically, yes, you did swing a sword through the enemy, game play wise he was able to dodge it basically. So if youre not willing or able to fill in the gaps as to why you're constantly missing then it's probably not the game for you. However if you DO stick with it and go in with a specific build and not deviate from it you'll have a great character that is a ton of fun to play once your stats are improved. Not to sound like an asshole but it's not a game for casuals really and if you started with oblivion or skyrim don't even bother because it will be too different and grindy for you most likely.

pretty much

i never picked the default ones even on my first playthrough i just picked random skills and winged it not know what to expect.

>Morroshits think this is a big game world
Loving every laugh.

what's with the non sequitur?

that's also another problem, some races not being playable. And you have the audacity to pretend that its my fault for choosing breton that I can't play the game properly

I play arena and daggerfall

I DON'T MISS AS MUCH AS I DO IN MORROWIND

I want you to think about that

and how am I supposed to know this?
In no other game i need to do this just to be able to get anywhere

Morrowind actually has the RPG element to the game. Skyrim is simply an Open world action game. You're stats don't matter as much in combat or decision making. Stats in morrowind feel more meaningful and show the reward of having a high stat in the game than compared to Skyrim Oblivion to a certain extent.

don't be like that

>thats the whole island of Vvardefell

You know what the problem with open world games these days is? Obsession with size yes yes penis jokes huehue
Morrowind is small enough that most of the shit is still handcrafted instead of throwing you into a boring world with nothing to find like Skyrim

even more, I go on /tg/ and play more pen and paper rpgs than I play videogames
I don't miss as much in DnD than in morrowind

for fucks sake, I don't even miss as much in DARK HERESY

>some races not being playable
Huh? But you can play a Breton perfectly well with Boots of Blinding Speed. And if the problem (yes, problem, Morrowind has problems) of Bretons' natural Speed stat being low is too much for you, you can use the Bretons' other strength - magic, alchemy - to boost it up.

Use what your character is strong at to bolster what they are weak at. You know, kind of like you do in RPGs.

>can play a Breton perfectly well with Boots of Blinding Speed
that's far from perfectly, you cunt

MAGE CAN'T DO SPELLS

HE HE HE

LOOK AT ME

He's obviously talking about silt striders not being playable

Whether you get staggered is determined by your agility. Armor does not help; the stagger roll is done against base (before armor reduction) damage. You'll only get knocked out from low fatigue if you take fatigue damage (from being punched) that takes your fatigue below zero. Also, for reference, zero fatigue multiplies all your rolls by 60%.

It's another of those you had to be around at the time games

Consider that Daggerfall itself was pretty groundbreaking

Don't give a shit about your joke, am just mad about the collectathon open world meme

You know, that IS pretty shitty.
>can't tower over everything like a motherfucker
>can't AEEEEEEEOOOOUUUWWW on demand
Why live?

This is because of the fatigue system. You're rolling dice like in a roll20 game like D&D except your roll is cut by a % depending on how full your fatigue bar is. If you spam attacks you're going to miss a fuck ton, but if you keep your fatigue up you'll wreck shit.

Is this good enough that ask for source?

MORROWIND THREAD
>miss
>miss
>muh combat
>muh lore
>CHIM
>fargoth
>le scum meme

who is that

why do people think that you can't do proper RPG in Skyrim? Role playing is most of the time most dependent on the player. Sure you don't suck entirely with warhammers if you build a mage character but why would I use the warhammer in the first place? Skyrim gives you the option of using various skills and this is basically everything that is necessary for role playing.
The variety of choises and impact of your choises in the world could be a bit better, I give you that.

the game gives you alternatives, if its speed is such a problem to you then make a fast character.
Its your own fault that you can't deal with the fact that the game is an RPG.
The fact that the game doesn't let you do everything you want from the start isn't a bad thing in an RPG, if you think otherwise go play an 'rpg' like fallout 4.

>roleplaying is solely about your combat build
wat

SHE'S PRETTY CUTE

You're absolutely right, Morrowind's early game combat is trash. Things get fun later when you've bulked up and learned all the good spells.

>>fargoth
Step aside. New king's in town. Think you could part with, say, fifty gold?

Do you get this assblasted when you see a character swing and the animation connects with the enemy sprite/model but misses in a cRPG or jRPG? If so then video games are not for you. If not then kindly fuck off.

Oh yeah I remember seeing a video of her
>dat completely fake pseudo-agehao every time
At least she does nice anal stuff

>I've never played an actual RPG in my entire life

That's Stirk. It's not supposed to be a huge island.

>how am I supposed to know that?
By using your mind whem experimenting what is possible.

>This is because of the fatigue system
which is shit and a mistake, you don't even need to explain it to me, I know why it is shit

ah, that doesn't happen in D&D by the way. It doesn't happen in daggerfall or arena either. I don't know why the fuck they put that mechanic in the game but it definitely ruins it

no fuck you because it isn't even that the only problem and I don't need such dedication when other games, including earlier ones, aren't so punishing when you don't create your character perfectly and know what to do from minute 1
Also it isn't only the speed of the game
is the miss miss miss miss with both fighting and magic

>by trial and error
That's called bullshit

This motherfucker right here, the bane of my existence, i went out of my way to come back stronger just to fuck his shit.

>2016
>still posting that tranny on my board

fuck of filthy bosmer

>miss with magic
Now I know you've never even played the game

Morrowindfags are the fucking worst. I'll completely agree that the setting is gold, but

Combat was total ass. The dialogue system was largely canned responses everyone shared, except for some context-sensitive shit that was still repeated, and linear conversation paths when they were an important NPC. I miss immersive features like being able to eat emeralds, too.

Porting the quests and setting to Skyrim would be a straight upgrade.

no but it is most of the time your major trait.

i played this when i was 10 and had a great time absorbing the atmosphere of the game and learning its secrets. combat is but one aspect of this game but if it turns you off that much then you'll just have to go on unfulfilling the nerevarine prophecy for the rest of your life.

what im saying is, you can either make a character that addresses the problems you personally have with the game, you can be patient and level your character until your problems are resolved or you can just accept that older RPGs are not for you.

>Role playing is about choosing your means of causing damage.
Congratulations you've taken the title for dumbest shit I've read about role play mechanics in a Bethesda game award, previous winner was someone asserting that the loss of skills in Fo4 would increase depth by giving time back to the player because they wouldn't be micromanaging skills.

Not that guy but I would call a miscast a miss

No?.… NO? You don't say "no" to me! NO ONE SAYS "NO" TO GAENOR! Oh, don't you think I'll forget this. I'll remember you, user, and I'll get you for it. I promise you that!"

miscasts

>savagely beat an NPC with my quarterstaff
>clean, solid hits, again and again that are misses are near no damage

what. the. fuck.

Witcher 3 is closer to the intent of Morrowind than Oblivion or Skyrim. RPG's are about putting you in a world, not necessarily conforming to gameplay conversions that reward your reptile brain at will.

You play the role of Dragonborn in Skyrim, how is that not roleplaying? You can even choose if you wanna be a mage role or a stealth archer role