How to write interesting characters, Sup Forums?

How to write interesting characters, Sup Forums?

I wish you luck in your course, but don't try to extract answers from Sup Forums, using whatever psychological means.

Start by making your character trans (pic related)

Well, I asked for advice on writing a story for my previous little project and got so much good advice that I literally copypasted every single post into a txt file.

Give them a motivation, a reason that they get up in the morning.

While it is important that they have character traits that define them, don't focus too much on one particular trait or else he/she becomes too predictable and boring (the opposite of interesting).

Also, interaction between two characters can wind up developing the both of them quite a bit, from the things they say to the things they do.

this, also "show don't tell" is imperative, let readers gain insight into what characters are feeling/thinking by showing details without just spelling it out.

That's really hard, since one of the main antagonists is kind of a "force of nature" and no one knows why is he doing all of the stuff that he's doing. No, he's not an edgy assassin.

How can I make him interesting without forcing some unfunny humor or monologues?

Make a character that thinks about what he/she is actually doing, that makes questions to him/herself. Motivation is an important trait for that matter, like said. Background is not enough.

If you achieve this, your character is already better than over 90% of the ones you usually see out there.

What about antagonists that don't have a lot of screen time?

Maybe other characters could find pieces of the antagonist's journals, log books, etc. It gives some insight into the antagonist without revealing too much and will answer existing questions whilst arousing new ones. I've seen that work before.

I'm thinking about putting in item descriptions, but I'm kind of scared that no one would want to read everything.

More skeletons.

The more interesting you make it, the more they'll want to read. Get people from your target audience (whom you can TRUST) to read it over and see what they think.

Necromancy has a big role in the game, many characters will be reanimated skeletons.

My target audience.. I don't really have a target audience, but if I had it would be western fans of jRPGs and indie RPGs. I'll visit /vg/. Thanks

It legitimately bothers me that I immediately recognize this picture as being from a yu gi oh card

Create a loli. Let her get raped.

The main character is not really that important, if you don't have much imagination for the protagonist just make him normal/have no dialogue.
Just don't make him edgy, I'd rather have an uninteresting character that I can relate to than a edgy forced one.

there's no point making a character or a story if you can't explain the character, why he is where he is, why he is doing what he is doing, and the same for all other characters and every action ever done

if it can't be explained logically it sucks

Don't do what Kazuki Takahashi does

Give them a child companion

This except make sure that she is actually a 1000 year old dragon so then its ok

what are the elements you are bringing to the story? Is it done in a light hearted tone? Will you bring into the story the loss of physical humanity or the preservation of metaphysical humanity? Is this for the main character or the supporting cast?

You don't

Make stuff as you, come up with interesting bosses and mechanics first

There's one character that gets raped, but it's not a loli. And it happens before the events of the game. Is it okay?

Well, he's quite the opposite. He's a high ranking member of the church.

I'm trying to add a lot of contrast - most of the game is really... gamey, with exploring fantasy forests or dungeons and visiting the city to get some gear. But in the background, especially in the late game, there are a couple of dark themes - murder, rape and incest.

Faith and beliefs are a very important part of the story, but I'm definitely not going "church is evil" route, even though the protagonist is a paladin sent on an important mission.

>it's not a loli
No, not ok

You'd think this would be obvious but time and time again people fuck up gameplay just put in some "cool" aesthetics thing. See: every water level ever.

a necrodin? Ask /tg/, though you will likely get shat on for it since its since as a meme character. doesnt hurt to ask though.

I'm going this route
1. General idea of the story and gameplay
2. Setting
3. Beginning and ending
3. Characters
4. Characters' appearance
5. Main focus of the gameplay
6. Story
7. Graphics, final polishes on gameplay

I've been browsing /tg/ for a long time now, people there are extremely helpful.

If you already have a story ready, try to guess how their thought process will influence their actions, words and reactions.

MBTI is fun to use to write fictional characters as long you remember that all the functions are not always supposed to fully mature or you are not forced to make them pretend their repressed one is inexistent

Base them on people you know. Or yourself. Or parts of yourself.

Play the characters' interactions with each other out in your head. Use your imagination. Try to cement out their defining traits. In other words, build your own tulpas. But don't talk to them. They're not real.

Yeah, that's also a very nice way
Don't be ashamed to use your imagination

Shit, I forgot about MBTI. Thanks a lot, user.

as long as he stays away from the waifu tulpas, hes fine to converse with them since that can help in finding their voice and tone.

>that user who wanted a chie tulpa but got phantom blood dio
>/sug/ fag that got two flying peridot tulpas that scream

What's MBTI?

A shitty "psychological metric" that tries to give you 1 our of 16 "personality types" based on a stupid test. Special snowflakes love it.

Myers Briggs Types probably

dont write characters that you want to be

most shitty character stems from the fact that the writer is trying to jerk himself off and project into the some perfect incarnation of himself

Myers-Briggs Type Indicator.
It categorizes people thought processes in 16 different types based on the order and directions the four basic mental functions are used :
Thinking, Feeling, Sensing and Imagining (Called "Intuition")

I prefer the ninetype one, that one is even more special snowflakey

That's the first thing I acknowledged since I hate all the perfect characters in jRPGs, especially brown haired protagonists who "fight for their friends".

What if their faults is that they fight for their friends, but all their friends are murderous assholes?

Never thought about it, to be honest. But I don't want MC to be a pure man abused by bad guys.

>literally hating E*FJs protagonists
Why. It's the easiest way to make a protagonist who will give screentime and attention to more interesting characters by interaction, since people easily feel spontaneous around them.
If you wanna make the player explore other characters via interactions, ENFJ should be the protagonist type.

Think about Makoto Naegi from DR and the whole point of Free Time events

Write them as if they were actual people. The difference between a fleshed-out character and a cardboard cut-out are the same things that make you different from someone else. What are two things the character is afraid of? What's a fight he'll never back down from, or an issue he won't budge an inch on? Is he morally upstanding all the time, when it's convenient, or never at all? Questions like this help you get a feel for the character as a person and an idea how they'd react in a given situation.

Character writing 101

>Strength
>weakness
>quirk

Don't put retarded shit like "Perfect to a flaw" for the weakness and go from there

Because there are so many of them that most of the time I forget about their existence and focus on the other characters.

Main theme of my game is faith and beliefs, so stuff that would require an interesting protagonist.

Faith and belief? It would work for sensitive types, who have more difficulties exploring different ideas than intuitives