Game has chainmal

>game has chainmal
>it's classified as light armor
mfw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qzTwBQniLSc
youtube.com/watch?v=xoQpUSTz-jo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's "light" because it barely protects you.

Ah this thread again.

chainmail is medium armor though

Compared to full on plate or other ridiculously gigantic sets of armor I'd imagine chain mail is pretty light. But yeah, if leather or cloth-based armor is also considered light alongside chain mail then that's silly.

>this thread
>again

Look at this cocky piece of shit, trying to stab this guy with a tiny dagger at the end of a small arm.

You got exactly what was coming to you, douche.

You can stop posting this. Your thread will never be not shit

Chainmail weights more than full plate, man. Thousands of metal rings > thin plates.

What in the fuck weapon is the guy on the left using?

>Trying to have a friendly little spar with Thomas
>Had the gall to severe my fucking mitts

dude's got a look on his face that says

>gotta hand it to him

>those shoes

It's a stylized warhammer. Middle ages weapon for battering and puncturing armor.

Mail is incredibly protective. It has been used from the late-antique up to the modern period. And it still in use, because there is hardly any better protection from bladed weapons.

That's what I liked about Diablo 2.

Generally the weakest armors were leather, then light plates, the chainmails, then really thick, heavy plates.

There were exceptions like the dusk shroud, but things like that were made out of fictional materials.

Chainmail haubert is very heavy and the weight of a plate armor is much better distributed on the body, making it feel lighter

>Bringing a sword to a battle where you are both wearing full plate

What's a game that has gold armor but no magic?

You are actually retarded.

Maille is pretty heavy and can't be distributed quite as well in terms of weight.
The significant advantage afforded is that it is easy to wear and remove as well as not having to make as significant concessions as plate armor in terms of volume when storing it.
It's also probably better in the heat.

Maybe in games ''light'' and ''heavy'' are not about weight itself but about how protective it is similar how ''heavily armed'' does not literally mean the guns weight a ton. Keep in mind in RPG games even steel plate is pretty meh compared to some Obsidian Magical Armor set of Legendary Warrior.

Its classified as light because it looks like shit. No one wants to wear shitty looking armor so they give it equally shit stats

Explain endgame MMO armor.

Yeah it really does look awful.

Half swording and other sick techniques made the sword a very good tool to kill your opponent

Shit taste.

He's still right though knights often carried warhammers or maces as it was simply easier to BTFO someone with them than to fuck around with half swording and aiming for the gaps.

Not helping your case.

Hast weapons like halberds were widespread too. Reach is important at first and you can then dismiss it if you lose it or need shorter reach.

looks like a short bathrobe made of fish skin.

Fucking peasants. I bet your ancestors were vikings

>Wears full fucking plate
>but no helmet

There's no signficant downside to bringing a sword though even if it's not your main weapon.

You're carrying 1 measly Kg in an easy to wear scabbard that's a jack-of-all-trades type of weapon.
In a pinch you use it to fight an armored opponent as well.
Half-Sword it to poke the vulnerable areas.
Use it as a lever to get your opponent to the ground.
Beat your opponent with the hilt if need be.

Too much video games

Reading these was pretty painful, you all can't read. That guy was referencing ridiculous large sets of armour i.e. fantasy shit.

That knight is probably also wearing maille even if they're only maille voiders.

Congratulations, you just realized GoT is a soap opera for women.

>compared to full on plate

Looks like that guy doesn't know how to write if that's what he meant

There was clearly the option offered to refer to standard full plate.
He distinguished retarded fantasy armor from it with an 'or'.

>it's an autists throw an autism fit over the fact that videogames don't perfectly mirror real life episode

Necessary for emotive purposes. Can't tell what they're feeling if they're wearing a helmet all the time.
I'm just sad we haven't seen the Hound's awesome helmet since season one.

True, mail has always a use of course

Can't see shit with that thing though. Bascinet all day every day

it is actually heavy and a lot more protective than people give it credit for

>The best armor in each Dark Souls game looks like some cobbled-together mess of iron plates and chains

And what is with those spikes on the back?

Daily reminder that "chainmail" is like "butterybutter". There is no other type of mail armor than chainmail. Nothing called "platemail" has ever existed.

>shitting on The Rock
I pity da fool

I always hated Havel. Shit looks like a MH's abortion and has no place in the game. DeS did big armor right with the brushwood set. That was cash

what about ringmail

those should look like horns. like on a rhino.

Wasn't the Black Iron set and the Giant's Set better in DaS1?

Giant's I loathed due to the massive pauldrons, but Black Iron was sass.

btfo

>Nothing called "platemail" has ever existed.
Please get your hardcore history casual ass out of here.

>english is dumb

And water is wet. More news at 11

Pretty sure Havel was the heaviest. I used Black Iron myself.

Except there was platemail
And scalemail.

And ringmail, if you believe that is every existed and wasn't just misidentified chailmail.

Smough's was the heaviest

Yeah, but you had to fully upgrade them, and even then, the difference wasn't that big. Upgrading also didn't increase poise, so Havel's still had significantly higher poise, making it the overall best choice.

scalemail. also a coat of plates is basically platemail under a gambeson or surcoat

Nein

Crusader flat top Heaume will always be the GOAT helmet.

I want to see a game where plate armor is something you have to craft to a character rather than putting on whatever hundred-year-old suit that was on some dead adventurer's skeleton. If it's magical or has superior properties, then it still needs to be brought back to a blacksmith to be refitted to a single character.

Mail armor would be cheaper to get and will fit every character easily, but weighs more than high quality plate and protects less especially against thrusting-type damage. A survival and resource-management focused RPG would be ideal for this.

Flat top was so shit it was ditched later on.

Say goodbye to your neck when the mace hits the top of your head

>not mail+plate mixed
plebians

it looks kinda cool but it's neck protection is garbage and like the other user says you wouldnt have much support from a blow on it's flat top no redirection either. I'd take any old bascinet over it desu.

Armor looks so uncomfortable no matter what type.

>Aesthetics
10/10 GOAT
>Protection
>6/10
Better than no helmet or something that doesn't cover the face, but if anything comes down on your head you're fucked

flat top is the fucking worst

One hit on the top of your head and you're either dead or deaf for the rest of your life

>he bought the crusader meme

Top kek, you have to live with your times, grandpa. Or maybe you want to kill saracens instead of protestants ?

>nobles talking shit
>literally the worst part of society

Go back to the field, jacques. Or maybe you want me to pay your wife a visit ? I'll get to see my bastard too, that will be like a family reunion

>wearing armor
>not relying on your superior speed and rolls

Fucking STRfags I swear man.

>that feel when we get to slay the inbreds
Can't wait for the revolt

Wait some more centuries, filthy creatures. You still need us to protect you from the invading armies roaming everywhere.

Don't forget your taxes

>That one knight who became a legend

Well then I will inform you that you where both incorrect, Plate armour is indeed heavier than chain.

It is but the weight is better distributed on the body and can even partly support itself structurally (legs) so it provides better protection while feeling lighter

Hard on the shoulders though, from what I hear, especially if you forgot your belt.

>feeling lighter

not sure the knight with 3 squires assisting him to get on a horse would agree.

after seeing what the roman helmets did to their necks I would think sore shoulders would be pretty low down on things I found sore

>assisting him to get on a horse

are you retarded or what?

youtube.com/watch?v=qzTwBQniLSc

Now shut the fuck up

It's why people spent hours making them and were used for nearly a millennia, right?

youtube.com/watch?v=xoQpUSTz-jo

>My army of fully upgraded cuirassers falls to a bunch of guys with weird hats

Not to mention there were used in Europe, Middle East and Asia so that's a pretty fucking popular armor.

Not sure why you two just got worked up over a really old joke, there was plate armour that required assisted mounting if you wish for a fact to go along with that joke.

The Big Daddy of real life.

>I was merely pretending to be retarded!

Cavalry not running on infantry always felt really stupid to me in AoE. It was just a faster unit with none of the other advantages

Are you refering to the fucking jousting armor? Because those were heavier than the ones meant for combat.

I remember reading somewhere that full plate was surprisingly well ventilated, and while the heat obviously could still be an issue, it was not nearly as hot as you would at first assume.

But I think I read that on Sup Forums with no source, so take it how you will.

The flat top is only going to be a downside for direct, heavy blows going straight down on top of the head. This will only be a concern for manlets where your opponent is going to easily be able to hit you there, in which case you probably deserve to die anyway.

"Crusader" helms were popular because they were relatively cheap, very protective, and offered some of the best visibility as far as full-faced helms go. Plus they have the bonus of being intimidating looking as opposed to some of those goofy bascinets that you couldn't see shit out of.

I suggest you go have a look at "Arms and Armor—Common Misconceptions and Frequently Asked Questions" it's a good read.

We are talking about plate armour in general no? plate armour for battle being lighter and easy to move in is a given, even by medieval standards they wouldn't be so stupid as to handicap themselves with tournament armour which is my favourite type of plate armour to be honest.

How much gambling debt must you have accumulated to decide "Today I will buy a jester costume and become a dobbelsoldner!"?

>those goofy bascinets that you couldn't see shit out of.

That's plain wrong the vision was very good on bascinets

>Flat top was so shit it was ditched later on.

Like centuries later.

Proves that medieval people were dumb fucking apes.

It was because it was easier to produce and early middle ages lost a lot of techniques compared to antiquity. If you look at romans, greeks or persians they almost all had round shaped helmet because it's the superior shape

>not being a huge metal-covered motherfucker with a long-ass warhammer