Answer honestly. Who here has legitimately lost faith in there being any good games anymore?

Answer honestly. Who here has legitimately lost faith in there being any good games anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O1Eiw90Lnh0
youtube.com/watch?v=VA3vijm17Bs
youtube.com/watch?v=pQkd7afLBNk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

not me.
though i've given up on western games

Bannerlord is comming, havent given up yet!

I mean I'm starting to think that it's really time to just collect 6th gen and earlier forever and just play those if I want to play something.

Western games have been shit for about a decade imo.

yeah, especially around 7th gen it became awful when it felt like every game used 95% of it's budget for graphics and marketing

>he fell for the "WE HERE AT Sup Forums LE HATE EVERYTHING XD" meme

Hello, fuckin newfag from cunting reddit.

Fuck you!

jokes on you m8, i play old games

it kills me inside every year

I'm 26 and I just don't like western shit or reddit for that matter.

Not me.

I'm having the time of my life. If this hobby sucks so much, just shut up and get a new one.

Sup Forums thinking that modern games are shit is the most underage and entitled thing I see on this site.

Do any of you actually fucking remember old video games outside of the classics and your favorites? Or even just how buggy those could be?

Old video games are generally shit and the only reason new ones seem bad is because they are consistently at such a high level of quality, our standards have become impossibly high. An 8/10 is merely an "okay" game now.

the new zelda looks good.
i want to see how Kojimas latest game is like and i have faith he'll produce something amazing

me,myself and I

The new Deus Ex will be good right?!
>right?
Or are you talking about NEWLY created (new IP) games being bad. I mean indies games aren't all that bad, some have been quite refreshing. Better than the same
>kill these neo-nazi, russian, future war-mongers
>hear someone mouth breathe scream they fucked my mom twice last night into their mic
Some companies will keep with the same trend and make continuous sequels year after year because it worked for them and they know goys will keep buying no matter what and advertise it like no other. (Similar to Michael Bay making millions of dollars each movie he makes). And

Gaming has never been better.

Objectively, games are at one of their highest levels in terms of overall quality.

People seem to forget that in the 80s and early 90s, shit that is bad to an unplayable level like Ride to Hell was NORMAL. There were so many more bad games than good ones back then, that Nintendo had to create a Seal of Quality to filter this shit from legally getting onto their systems. Nowadays a Ride to Hell-tier game is an oddity, something that comes out for people to laugh at for how bad it is. People who want to go back to the old days, do you really want to go back to when games like that were significantly higher in quantity?

And before someone says "the ps1/ps2 era was better!", both of those consoles were overloaded with crappy shovelware. Just because you didn't play it doesn't mean it didn't exist.

>star

Literally the only game I'm looking forward to is Bannerlord and that's simply because it seems like it's going to be exactly like Warband but with better grafics and better sieges.

Everything else looks like trash, consolized shit or just "cinematic" experiences made by failed screenwriters. The last game I played with some actual gameplay was Divinity Original Sin and that's over a year old.

"But what about...?" you say, and we cut you off mid-sentence, gently place our fingers on your lips and whisper: Good games have never existed in video games before.

this, only hipsters think games are getting worse

pc purists are the fucking worst
You are literally unable to have fun.

Games aren't bad, you just aged

>Overall quality
That's actually a really fucking bad thing in results.
That means basically only the stuff that can get extremely dedicated staff, insane budgets, and loads of attention in programming gets by 99% of the time.

If you're not getting Snow White and The Seven Clever Boys, stuff like Gitaroo Man and Armored Core pre-gameplay reboot isn't gonna fly either from the pure risk.

nothing's changed
one or two good title a year, the rest are mediocre trash

Not me because I'm not a fucking drama queen with nigh-impossible expectations.

>That means basically only the stuff that can get extremely dedicated staff, insane budgets, and loads of attention in programming gets by 99% of the time.

The only thing that has changed between then and now among those is budget.

And even then that's kinda bullshit because things like Neptunia found an audience and make enough money from each game to finance the next one, and those games are made on a shoestring budget.

And weebshit has always been shit.

More or less this. It's true that some genres lack the high peaks they had before (I'd kill to get squad tactical game on par with JA2 and a stealth game on par with Thief or SC:CT), but the overall level of vidya has actually became surprisingly high.

Nah games are still good. You just don't like videogames possibly never did and were just using them for escapism.

i´m just waiting for US to release Final Fantasy X remake starring black people only so i can finally kill myself. You know its gonna happen sooner or later.

You have to be literally retarded if you actually had any hope for vidya after 2007. By that time vidya had become so shitty, that it should have been obvious that thre's no hope for future.

The industry of games, producing casual shit, to sustain the beast that's compiled over the years? Yes, completely lost faith in them.

Small groups of "independent" developers who try to balance their desire for acceptance, to be seen, and their greed? Starting to seriously fade into nothing at the moment, because their greed seems to be winning out.

Individuals who are probably autism spectrum, who don't care if their game makes money or if they spend the rest of their life alone? There's still hope for a good game from them... If they'd ever fucking release it to the public.

I have not lost faith in good games. There are plenty of good games out, and coming out. I have nothing but optimism for good games. However, I know that there will never again be a truly GREAT game for an original IP. There might be good sequels, possibly even GREAT sequels. But there will never be a new idea that so completely blows everyone out of the water and starts a fantastic new franchise ever again. I have also totally lost faith in there ever being a remotely worthwhile multiplayer online shooter. All that are left are mobas or battlefield clones. There will never be another game to match Unreal Tournament 2004 or vanilla TF2 ever again (that won't die within a week anyway)

Depends. Are we talking strictly about the AAA industry?

I don't know what that's supposed to mean, and I have fun with fun games that have gameplay, and aren't interactive movies. And before you pop a blood vessel, I should tell you that one of my most favorite games back in the day was the Return of the King video game, a console port. It was fun to play, and I wish more games nowdays are like that.

Dude kill yourself.

The evolution of games over the past 16 years has been a long march to "streamlining", dumbing down, shovelware, focus-grouping, and microtransactions.

Just like radio music has been homogenized into formulaic pop trash after executives figured out "the formula" to easily appeal to the most people with the least effort, so have video games.

Never again will you see high-budget weird shit like at the turn of the century, when executives were dumb yes men who were beholden to the artists and programmers.

youtube.com/watch?v=O1Eiw90Lnh0

They're about the same as they always have been

Always a drive for a particular game mechanic or graphical setting. At the moment the emphasis seems to be on improved lightning and a dash / blink button in every new FPS

Then why can I still play some games, and I can still play old games just fine, but not 95% of the new ones?

Dude I'm not trying to trigger you, but at least back in the day none of my console games would literally just freeze. Max Payne 3 just stopped working for me. Grand theft auto 5 kept resetting itself and I literally couldn't get to the end of the game or even play it because of that. Also, new games are not at such a high level of quality. Developers put out unfinished shit all the time now because they don't give a fuck about anything except for the bottom line which is the money. Games are consistently made these days which treat the user like they are a fucking retard holding your hand and giving you constant audio and visual cues that just take you the fuck out of the experience. I'd also like an example of a really good original idea or property these days.
I mean I don't know what you're trying to defend.
Games were simpler yeah and the technologically was worse technically, but that doesn't make them bad, nor does it make these modern games better than what came before.

>if they spend the rest of their life alone
dude nobody wants that it´s a pretty sad and suicidal way to experience this journey
but hey whatever keeps you happy until you get to make that baby right m8

I'm not your therapist, I'm just telling you how it is. I play a lot of old games too but you're dumb if you think no good ones come out anymore.

No offense but consolizes implies that all console games are somehow shit.

You're high. I used to have to blow on half my games before they would even start and even then freezes weren't particularly uncommon.

>new games are 100% bugstested and never glitch!

If anything, they're even worse than before.
youtube.com/watch?v=VA3vijm17Bs
youtube.com/watch?v=pQkd7afLBNk

>its a console fat thinks he knows about western games episode

me
I'm so bored I make my own games now

Sup Forums may hate me for this, but honestly, we can't have any hope for good AAA games, and indie games are the last place to look to.

AAA games are necessarily about pandering to the lowest common denominator. They inevitably have dumbed-down mechanics - it's the only way to reach a large audience (this is part of what makes them AAA). Mainstream gaming is no longer a niche hobby.

Now, a lot of indies go down that same route, but it is only by sifting through mobile and cashgrab clones that we can find truly good indie games. And besides, most of these "diamonds in the rough" are free in the first place, as the devs care about something more than pleasing a large audience (see: Dwarf Fortress).

>just because you didn't play shovelware doesn't mean it didn't exist
Well, you could usually tell it when you saw it and it wasn't that hard to avoid. Shovelware merely existing doesn't matter at all if you aren't playing it.

Nah I haven't, but they are more rare now and what should be guaranteed quality isn't a sure bet anymore either.

Same.

No good AAA games do, anyway, which is what i'm sure the OP means.

Console games right now are shit. I guess you must've been in a coma during the past 3 years and during this year's E3.

This is probably the most correct answer

I think that the idea that all old game are "good" comes from a "selection" in how games are viewed from later years.

There were a ton of games being made back then; There are a ton of games being made now. However, why does it seem that there are so many "good" old games? Simple - there were a shitton of "bad" old games, but we only remember the "good" ones. Give us 15 years, and we'll be remembering some of the games from this time as great, and we'll completely forget about the shit ones - next thing you know, we'll say that this generations games were better than future ones.

Last year Bloodborne was great MGSV was good at worst and Witcher 3 was pretty good.

If you mean shit like asscreed then it was never good.

Nah, I'm fine.

I'm only disappointed when planing AAA western filth.

This year's E3 was fucking awesome.
I've never had a bad year of gaming since 1992.

>Budget isn't a big deal
>look at this super niche title made on a shoestring budget that needs to pander the hell out of itself to survive

You just explained why your argument is stupid. Not every game is a RPG where you just need bare minimum assets once you have the first game's assets out.
The first Neptunia was a fucking shitty dungeon crawler for Pete's sake, so the comparison doesn't even make sense.

for you

>liking #FE

Neck yourself, my man.

It's actually great.
There's nothing wrong with the game itself, just the localization. And I patched that.

Titanfall
Alien Isolation
Wolfenstein the New Order
Mario Kart 8
Shovel Knight
Smash Bros Wii U
Bayonetta 2

Witcher 3
Rocket League
Bloodborne
Until Dawn
Rainbow Six Siege
Undertale
Pillars of Eternity

Overwatch
Doom
XCOM 2
Dark Souls 3
Uncharted 4

Am I to believe no one liked even one of these?

OP here and this guy is vocalizing where I'm coming from, and he used a great example of a game as well.

Enjoy your japanese cartoons, son.

All AAA garbage or faux-indie trash.

You can tell me about good ones on PC then if you want to.

>dude nobody wants that it´s a pretty sad and suicidal way to experience this journey
Depending on the spectrum placement, they could actually be completely fine with what others could consider a prison cell or temple monk tier existence. A few hours of social interaction in a week could be all they could handle or desire, too.
All kinds of people exist.

But yeah i seriously doubt there's *that* many special individuals around. Such is life on this neglect-ridden crapsack death world.

Yeah thanks I will, I'm even posting on the perfect imageboard for this right now.

>Bayonetta 2
>Smash Bros
>Mario Kart 8
>AAA garbage

If you don't like a single game on there then you don't like videogames, feel free to find a new hobby.

I do mean that.
>Past 3 years
I don't see what was so good about them.
>E3
Well yeah I missed it. I am really looking forward to Last Guardian though.

You forgot some this year (and the others too)

Consider killing yourself or finding a new hobby

I'm doing my best to make a game that's fun.

Not me. Just got Duskers and Thea: The Awakening, and they're both fantastic. Get out of the console wars and the AAA section and find yourself some gems.

There's good games in there, but you emphasized that games are getting worse

Okay, I'll give you that Smash Bros is all right.

Earlier MK games are better, though.

Not a fan of Bayonetta at all.

On second thought, Smash Bros is all right - I'll play it from time to time.

X-COM 2 is all right as well, but buggy and unoptimized, and it just makes me want to play the original X-COM.

I'm not saying that all modern games are bad, but that list is an incomplete and doesn't represent my taste. My favorite modern games are the ones no one seems to talk about - true roguelikes and Dwarf Fortress (okay, that one gets some press) come to mind.

GEE I SURE HATE VIDEO GAMES, GUYS! WHAT BOARD SHOULD I BROWSE!?
HMMMMMMM, I KNOW!
I'LL GO ON A BOARD
ABOUT
FUCKING
VIDEO
GAMES

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA LE CONTRARIAN HIPSTER MEME, AM I RIGHT FELLAS!? I'M SO HIP AND JADED AHAHAHA

GO THE FUCK BACK TO /r9k/!!!

see

Just avoid AAA trash. If you can't spot obviously shitty games like The Division or Call of Duty in Space #354 by now you're a sucker who deserves to get taken advantage of.

Also, keep an open mind and be willing to try new genres.

>tfw deving a game is more fun than actually playing it

I've never gotten this whole anti culture. Why are people here so fucking cancer and jaded? That's not normal.

>Reviews
>IGN REVIEWS

Get outta here

>review
Damn right, Uncharted 4 doesn't deserves 9 when even the fans are actually disappointed

I am convinced everyone on this site is insane. And no, I don't mean "haha he's so insane". I genuinely think everyone on this site has some form of narcissism.

We used to like videogames when they weren't shit, meaning pre-2007.

I haven't, good games and shitty games have allways existed, we just filtered the bad stuff out

Seriously, look at the old gens and you will find a shitload of bad games that dissapeared in the dust

This is the thought process of someone who allways plays the same games and doesn't bother trying anything new

Duskers is great.

You just need to know how to look for good games. Don't look among AAA titles or meme indie titles - it's the ones that go somewhat un-noticed that end up being truly good (since, mainstream media is all about reporting on "accessible" games [read: catered to the lowest common denominator] - and these "accessible" games are going to be talked about more because, again, it's the lowest common denominator that makes up the majority).

>THIS TYPE OF GAME IS SHIT!
>b-but keep an open mind though

I get what you're saying, but that's a bit hypocritical.

It's not just Sup Forums though.
Also
>we

bioshock infinite was the best of its time, video games is art

This senpaitachi

I did and then I stopped caring so fucking much about video games and suddenly I could enjoy then again.

Sure some things still disappoint me, an example being I've been rather disappointed with Nintendo as of late. But I got a bunch of new shit like Tokyo Mirage Session and overwatch and old shit like radiant dawn that I fuckin love

So in short: I got burned by Spore and ME3 so now I'm fucking emo.

I'd still take Sup Forums being so critical and hyperbolic of games over the discussions that go on elsewhere. At least here you can bash a game and get called out on it, anywhere else is just a hugbox.

You're right, games like Katawa Shoujo will always be mediocre.

pic related is the exact game that killed vidya for good for me

>visual novels will be mediocre games

hmm

The Internet and gaming is too small in general. As in there's a shitload of discussion, but it's not accurate. The vast majority of gamers does not go on the Internet to look up information or discuss games.

Holy shit, THANK YOU!
I've tried to express this before and I just get called a shill. Sup Forums used to be so self aware and awesome in the early days. What the fuck happened to make everyone so insufferable?